Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2742722

Subject: "Would an in-season tourney like the WNBA's work in the NBA? " Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Fri Jul-09-21 08:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Would an in-season tourney like the WNBA's work in the NBA? "

(Here's a link to a story that describes the tourney format.)
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/31461698/wnba-2021-commissioner-cup-standings

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have strong feelings about an in-season tourney that Adam Silver is trying to get through. It would be something else to add interest to the regular season, but adding games would affect the health of the players.

But this WNBA set up - all the teams have ten regular-season games that count for the in-season tourney - seems doable. The only added game would be for the two finalists.

This format doesn't seem like a bad idea at the least.

What do you think?

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
how many regular season games does the WNBA player?
Jul 09th 2021
I'm not clear as to what the point would be.
Jul 09th 2021
Agreed. Sounds dumb
Jul 10th 2021
make that prize a charitable donation a la celeb Jeopardy
Jul 10th 2021
yeah Silver seems like an okay dude in comparison
Jul 10th 2021
All star game is kinda dumb. We pose to care about who scores more
Jul 10th 2021
      right, the only All-Star change that might be interesting is US vs...
Jul 12th 2021
I think Silver wants to add some stakes to the reg. season
Jul 12th 2021
      I don't think gimmicks will get non-basketball people to watch basketba...
Jul 12th 2021
why the fuck was that WNBA All Star vs Team USA on the same night
Jul 15th 2021

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jul-09-21 10:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "how many regular season games does the WNBA player?"
In response to Reply # 0

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Fri Jul-09-21 10:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I'm not clear as to what the point would be."
In response to Reply # 0

This having a tournament in the middle of the season... just to have a tournament in the middle of the season? Silver's selling point seems to be that players on the winning team get an extra million apiece, but it doesn't seem like there's anything else at stake here.

I've also read that part of Silver's pitch for this would be reducing the regular season by four games. But do the player's salaries start getting pro-rated? Do teams start handing out smaller contracts because of it? If so, the extra million to the players on the winning team just ends being money that the players have lost.

Play the regular season, then start the play-offs. Adding in artificial "events" is just cynical cash grab.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Sat Jul-10-21 08:00 AM

3. "Agreed. Sounds dumb "
In response to Reply # 2

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Sat Jul-10-21 10:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "make that prize a charitable donation a la celeb Jeopardy"
In response to Reply # 2

each team playing for something in their hometown, funded by the gates and not as a tax write-off for the owners

i could get with that

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4873 posts
Sat Jul-10-21 09:57 PM

5. "yeah Silver seems like an okay dude in comparison"
In response to Reply # 2

to Stern cuz fuck that guy...but

The gimmicks are getting a little tired. The All-star game is more silly than it has ever been, the play-in tournament is meh at best, and this mid-season shit would be fucking stupid.

The NBA has a great product...they should have more confidence in said product.

Make the regular season more important by requiring players play x amount of games to be considered for awards/all-nba teams, throw more money at teams that win standings, etc.

And start financially punishing teams that are perpetually bad. Like, if you go 5+ years without making the playoffs you should start losing your share or some shit.

Try little tweaks like that prior to changing shit up completely.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Sat Jul-10-21 10:45 PM

6. "All star game is kinda dumb. We pose to care about who scores more "
In response to Reply # 5

Points in the 3rd quarter?

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 04:51 PM

7. "right, the only All-Star change that might be interesting is US vs..."
In response to Reply # 6

the World in the main game.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 05:48 PM

8. "I think Silver wants to add some stakes to the reg. season"
In response to Reply # 2

I guess the tourney is a compromise between doing nothing and cutting 10 or more games from the regular season.

Likely for this tourney to be successful at grabbing interest, they'd have to run it a number of years and add some prize(s) besides money (draft picks, raise in the winning team's cap, I dunno) to see traction with fans and players.

Either way, I'd like to see this go down. The sentiment around here was that the play-in tourney wasn't exciting but it held my interest and think it could be compelling down the line. At least we'd see how it is first-hand.

The league needs to do something. Failed attempts at getting fans to watch the actual games aren't tragic. It's better to try, take the research and improve the idea or scrap it all together than do nothing.

That's just me though.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 07:28 PM

9. "I don't think gimmicks will get non-basketball people to watch basketba..."
In response to Reply # 8

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Thu Jul-15-21 08:46 AM

10. "why the fuck was that WNBA All Star vs Team USA on the same night"
In response to Reply # 0

as the NBA Finals?

Seriously.. they couldn’t push that back one day?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2742722 Previous topic | Next topic