Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2739194

Subject: "I think gambling is ruining sports journalism" Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
49417 posts
Fri Jun-04-21 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I think gambling is ruining sports journalism"

and there is so much betting that its inevitable that there will be a point shaving scandal either in the NCAAs or the League.

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
If you don't get too greedy it seems pretty easy to do
Jun 04th 2021
I had the same thought about college...
Jun 04th 2021
      if you spread out your bets across different sites/bookies, don't always
Jun 04th 2021
Not sure about journalism, but it definitely hurts sports radio
Jun 04th 2021
Explain the journalism part
Jun 04th 2021
I can see a few areas of either annoyance or problems
Jun 04th 2021
RE: I think gambling is ruining sports journalism
Jun 05th 2021
There have already been several point shaving incidents in the NCAA
Jun 05th 2021
we know.
Jun 07th 2021
Hot take: more talk about gambling would *help* sports journalism.
Jun 07th 2021
I loved when Bill Simmons used to have Haralobob on the pod
Jun 07th 2021
That is exactly what is fucking up the sports page.
Jun 08th 2021

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5443 posts
Fri Jun-04-21 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "If you don't get too greedy it seems pretty easy to do"
In response to Reply # 0

>and there is so much betting that its inevitable that there
>will be a point shaving scandal either in the NCAAs or the
>League.

After listening to the Whistleblower podcast, I'm pretty convinced that it's still not that hard for NBA refs to do. In college it's probably even easier.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

soulfunk
Charter member
9444 posts
Fri Jun-04-21 12:55 PM

3. "I had the same thought about college..."
In response to Reply # 1

There's so many more games and less viewers per game that it would be easier to get away with small point shaving from refs.

>After listening to the Whistleblower podcast, I'm pretty
>convinced that it's still not that hard for NBA refs to do. In
>college it's probably even easier.
>
>
>

GOMEZ
5443 posts
Fri Jun-04-21 01:03 PM

4. "if you spread out your bets across different sites/bookies, don't always"
In response to Reply # 3

make the same type of bet, etc. and don't go too hard on any one bet to set off flags, it seems utterly doable.

There are so many types of bets a ref could influence for a single game
basic betting line
over under
over under for individual pts for a player
probably a ton i'm not thinking of too

It's as easy as a couple of foul calls here or there - I think tim donaghy made the point that you don't actually really have to make up foul calls either, it's more a matter of how strictly you enforce the letter of the law on certain plays.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Awburn
Member since Oct 16th 2003
1864 posts
Fri Jun-04-21 12:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Not sure about journalism, but it definitely hurts sports radio"
In response to Reply # 0

Every sponsor and a good portion of the commercials in the DMV are from gambling sites now.

I am not judging gambling. I just dont want to hear about it all the time.

-----------------
District of Champions
2019 Nationals
2019 Mystics
2018 Capitals

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52854 posts
Fri Jun-04-21 04:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Explain the journalism part "
In response to Reply # 0

GOMEZ
5443 posts
Fri Jun-04-21 05:05 PM

6. "I can see a few areas of either annoyance or problems"
In response to Reply # 5

this one falls under annoyance - but so many more sports heads are popping up talking about sports from a gambling perspective. It's creeping more and more into regular sports coverage. There's a lot of loud wrong guys out there being presented as 'experts'. That being said, there's still lots of programming out there for people just interested in following sports and learning about the game, so this isn't a huge issue.

From a journalism standpoint, it *could* make sporting news sites and media outlets overlook or provide slanted coverage of potential gambling related scandals. The NBA was pretty quick to clean up the Donaghy mess as a 'rogue ref' issue and a lot of the media outlets covering the NBA were all too happy to go along with that narrative so as to not damage their relationship w/the NBA or hurt their own company's broadcasting products. That might not be a unique issue to gambling sites/sports journalism, but it creates a weird dynamic.

I think most of it just an annoying creep in gambling coverage at this point.

-Hunter S. Thompson

jimaveli
Charter member
5356 posts
Sat Jun-05-21 07:31 AM

7. "RE: I think gambling is ruining sports journalism"
In response to Reply # 0

>and there is so much betting that its inevitable that there
>will be a point shaving scandal either in the NCAAs or the
>League.

The slant towards drama and other negativity seems to be well on its way to ruining it without something like this. We’re to the point now where winning gets you a bunch of coverage to set up the takedown the next time you don’t win. Or if you start winning a lot, it’s time to bring up some old mfer from a different era who won more, lost less, and/or was more well-liked during their time in the sun. This has been a thing for at least like 30 years and I find it horrible now that I notice it happening a lot...especially in the blog/podcast universe. It creates a world where folks crave negativity more than they crave good games, good players, or just a healthy sport with good players on their way up.

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
5249 posts
Sat Jun-05-21 07:59 AM

8. "There have already been several point shaving incidents in the NCAA"
In response to Reply # 0

going back to when the MOB was controlling certain athletes.

So point shaving isn’t anything new. And it’s definitely still happening.

And gambling and sports journalism isn’t anything new either. Back in the
80s , Jimmy “the Greek” had a weekly segment with CBS’s NFL pregame
show, where he would discuss the odds and spread for each NFL game.

I agree with you that it is becoming more pronounced, because more
tv networks are doing it or have shows that are focused on sports
gambling information since states have legalized sports gambling.

HIS NAME IS MASON MOUNT
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Castro
Charter member
49417 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 08:35 PM

9. "we know."
In response to Reply # 8

------------------
One Hundred.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
84136 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 09:05 PM

10. "Hot take: more talk about gambling would *help* sports journalism."
In response to Reply # 0

Vegas line setters are the ones who know the most about the analytics, know the most about matchups, know the most about trends and injury impact. They overreact the *least* to small sample sizes. They understand the most how variance impacts the sports, and how wins and losses are not necessarily indicative of a team's actual strength of performance on the whole. The best sports podcasts on the whole tend to be the ones who don't predict heads up wins and losses, but instead predict performance against the spread. I find those host far more nuanced conversation than the ones that spend thirty minutes on what LaVar Ball said this week or if LeBron is the GOAT or not.

As an example, it drives me *crazy* when you see the 20th ranked team play the 12th ranked team at home, be a 3-4 point favorite, win the game, and hear everyone call it an "upset" afterward solely based on rankings-- which are set completely arbitrarily by a set of sports journalists who designate their rankings based on whatever personal preferences they have, some of which are borderline insane. It genuinely hurts a casual fan's ability to understand the game.

If more casual sports fans could understand the value of watching the game on a deeper level than "this team is ranked higher, so they should win," or "this guy is the star, so he needs to carry his team to victory, otherwise he's a loser," then the discourse would be a thousand times better. Any gambling-related shenanigans that go down will go down irrespective of gambling's legality.

(I also realize the Value Of Discourse is totally subjective, and many people would rather listen to the LaVar Ball/is Bron the GOAT stuff than listen to a nerdy, nuanced breakdown of game matchups. So this is completely just my own personal pet peeves pouring out here, lol.)

For beer lovers: http://thebeertravelguide.com
For movie lovers: http://russellhainline.com

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
14431 posts
Mon Jun-07-21 10:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I loved when Bill Simmons used to have Haralobob on the pod"
In response to Reply # 10

I don't gamble but that guy's perspective was really interesting every time out.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Castro
Charter member
49417 posts
Tue Jun-08-21 08:13 AM

12. "That is exactly what is fucking up the sports page. "
In response to Reply # 10

For instance, Tatum's game against the Nets....analytics doesn't articulate the beauty of watching a player rise to the challenge against a team that on paper is far superior.

Are you really interested in the data of how many times Dr. J finished layups with his left hand off the glass?

Analytics as it is applied builds towards the stronger possibility of outcomes, but sports is about narratives. And then you throw in the gambling part, where you have columnists whose job is to simply tell you about how the Nuggets are minus 7 for the year when Will Barton is on the floor for more than 22 minutes, so don't draft him for your your fantasy leagues and he's starting tonight so don't bet on Denver over OKC. Where is the narrative in that? It's soul-less, mechanized content, a far cry from the magic that a Ralph Wiley or Dr. Z spun on pages. The writing is shit, and the content is shit. There is nothing entertaining about reading a "TPS" report every day about the NBA, and that is what gambling reduces sport to...

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2739194 Previous topic | Next topic