Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2737859

Subject: "Derrick Rose's resurgence." Previous topic | Next topic
Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Sun May-23-21 08:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Derrick Rose's resurgence."

There's probably no comp for this given that Rose won MVP at like 22, but...has ANYONE revived their career in the way he has? The only people that come to mind are Bill Walton and Grant Hill.

Rose is just a GREAT piece who has completely revamped his game.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
he's got me rooting for the knicks
May 23rd 2021
Ha!
May 24th 2021
Salute. Love to see it nm
May 23rd 2021
Have to appreciate his maturity.
May 24th 2021
Absolutely. Knicks game was a whole moment last night
May 24th 2021
Melo comes to mind
May 24th 2021
RE: Derrick Rose's resurgence.
May 24th 2021
A surgeon blessed with the funk. He still got it.
May 26th 2021
Is he a HOF'er?
May 27th 2021
*sucks in through teeth* man, it's close.
May 27th 2021
This is a hard one.
May 27th 2021
Durant, Harden, and Westbrook
May 28th 2021
      Yep you’re right
May 28th 2021
Nah
May 28th 2021
closest comp is Tiny Archibald
May 28th 2021
DRose reflects on it
May 28th 2021
Beautiful read
May 28th 2021
i can't believe he's only 32
May 28th 2021

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Sun May-23-21 09:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "he's got me rooting for the knicks"
In response to Reply # 0

seemed like he was going through mental health issues his first stint in ny and then in cleveland. which you can kinda of sympathize with given his injury history related to his/the bulls potential. being able to overcome whatever he was going through and improve/revamp his game is really impressive. no idea how someone could root against him at this point.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Mon May-24-21 08:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Ha!"
In response to Reply # 1

no
>idea how someone could root against him at this point.

I'm petty. I can't root for Rose on the Knicks.
I'm happy for him though (which is kinda low key rooting for him anyway).

https://digife.com

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Sun May-23-21 09:29 PM

2. "Salute. Love to see it nm"
In response to Reply # 0

---

But hell, what do I know?

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Mon May-24-21 09:58 AM

4. "Have to appreciate his maturity."
In response to Reply # 0

Especially since his first stint in NY ended pretty terribly. Props to him and Thibs for finding a proper role for him in the rebuilding process for the Knicks.

Props to the Knicks front office for making that stellar trade to nab him as well since sadly enough, Dennis Smith Jr. wasn't doing anything for the Knicks early this season.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon May-24-21 11:32 AM

5. "Absolutely. Knicks game was a whole moment last night "
In response to Reply # 0

I was hype off the crowd through my TV screen

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon May-24-21 11:39 AM

6. "Melo comes to mind"
In response to Reply # 0

I really want answers as to why he was out of the league

Seriously.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Mon May-24-21 05:41 PM

7. "RE: Derrick Rose's resurgence."
In response to Reply # 0

yep, trajecting back to HoF imo if keeps it up. Was looking like could be first league MVP to not make it but the resurgence should help.

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Wed May-26-21 09:20 PM

8. "A surgeon blessed with the funk. He still got it. "
In response to Reply # 0

It ain't gonna make your eyes pop out of your head like he did ten years ago, but man, he got that sauce to his game.

------------------
One Hundred.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu May-27-21 08:35 AM

9. "Is he a HOF'er?"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu May-27-21 10:22 AM

10. "*sucks in through teeth* man, it's close."
In response to Reply # 9

Because, IIRC, there's never been an MVP who *didn't* make it. And he's definitely had influence/impact on the game...

... but he's only had 3 All-Star Games and 1 All-NBA team.

Like, compare that with Draymond Green, who people were insisting in the other post shouldn't make it... but he has 3 All-Star Games, 2 All-NBA Teams, a DPOY, five All-Defense teams, and a college National Player of the Year. Oh yeah, and three rings.

That said, the MVP is huge.

If he won a ring, I think that'd seal the deal. Or maybe another ASG or two if his resurgence continues. If not that... then if he just did the "ambassador of the game" thing post-career and made a difference that way, garnered some post-career good will, I bet that'd nudge him in.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Ryan M
43744 posts
Thu May-27-21 10:14 PM

11. "This is a hard one. "
In response to Reply # 9

As Longo said...every MVP has made it thus far. Then again, every MVP save for Rose, Nash, Harden, and Giannis have made the finals. Harden and Giannis of course have a great shot this year.

The resume simply isn’t there. He was on a trajectory and injuries just robbed him of an all timer career.

That said - a 6MOY and a ring might do it. But that just feels so daunting.

17x NBA Champions

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Fri May-28-21 09:31 AM

16. "Durant, Harden, and Westbrook"
In response to Reply # 11

All went to the Finals together against the Heat during the 'Heatles' second year together if memory serves me correct. He was pretty anemic during that Finals run and he wasn't any close to the player he is now, but Harden has been to the Finals.

It's pretty wild that Finals series seems like such a long time ago since that OKC team is pretty much a distant memory.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Ryan M
43744 posts
Fri May-28-21 10:49 AM

18. "Yep you’re right "
In response to Reply # 16

So just Giannis and Rose as the active MVPs plus Nash.

17x NBA Champions

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri May-28-21 09:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "Nah"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri May-28-21 09:16 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Although he's a personal favorite of mine, there's no way he's in HOF consideration.

He had a couple of great years, followed by a handful injury plagued and 6th man/role player years. That is not a HOF career.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Fri May-28-21 02:27 AM

12. "closest comp is Tiny Archibald"
In response to Reply # 0

dynamic scoring superstar PG, suffered devastating injury, missed over a year recovering, lost the explosiveness his game was predicated on and was thought to be done, then reinvented his game and revived his career as a terrific complimentary player. Tiny had a few more years in his prime before getting derailed by injury than Rose did and successfully revamped his game sooner after coming back, but that's probably as close of a comp as it gets.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Fri May-28-21 02:45 AM

13. "DRose reflects on it"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPJX-BqHYqg/

drose

Imagine having your dream job or working for a company for 10 plus yrs... Blood, sweat and tears and somebody from another company approach you and say ...Hey... you look like your vintage self today LMAO. You don't know them at all and they think they know you becuz they watched you perform a lil bit from a far. The shit would throw you off right??? You had your ups and downs in the company right! You’re human! But WHAT if the numbers say you were more efficient that year... WHAT if you’re a totally different player! It's nothing VINTAGE about my game but my floaters. I don't dunk or jump high anymore. I’m not killing u with speed nor am I a one man fastbreak anymore. I don't even shoot my reverse layups lol. I'm a totally different player. I love chess so I would put it this way... I lost my Queen early in the game but I fought my fuckin way back to get one of my pawns down the board to get her back. If you know chess... that's a very hard process to achieve and if you really know how to play you know even the master games are won with few pieces on the board and it's about strategy, heart and skill. It's cool to say I still hoop a lil bit...plus I been fighting through shit my whole life. I'm smiling through it becuz I been through the hardest shit. That was growing up piss poor in Chi and nobody didn't understand my pain and dreams but me. Vintage or not... I’m extremely Blessed and Skilled.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Fri May-28-21 07:17 AM

14. "Beautiful read "
In response to Reply # 13

Almost teared up

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri May-28-21 09:32 AM

17. "i can't believe he's only 32"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2737859 Previous topic | Next topic