Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2737623

Subject: "Josh Taylor vs Jose Ramirez -Undisputed- 5/22 | ESPN+" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14000 posts
Fri May-21-21 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Josh Taylor vs Jose Ramirez -Undisputed- 5/22 | ESPN+"

This is for all the marbles at 140 (Super Lightweight)

It'll be quite an accomplishment for whoever wins this one.

Most people are picking Josh Taylor to win, which stands to reason since he's fought the tougher competition between the two. That competition includes wins over Ivan Baranchyk, Viktor Postol and a "win" over Regis Prograis. I put win in quotes, because the fight could've gone either way. I think it went to Taylor because it happened in the UK, and the judges there would favor him. Even still, Taylor barely won by majority decision.

Ramirez' toughest fights were both won by majority decision (Postol & Zepeda), yet there was one fight that was supposed to be tough for him, and he stopped the guy pretty brutally (Maurice Hooker).

Their common opponent is Viktor Postol. Ramirez won by MD and Taylor won by UD. Both fights were tough. The UD win doesn't tell the story of the fight. Personally I think the scoring there was garbage. Again, a Taylor fight in the UK. This fight will be held in Las Vegas, so Taylor won't have the home turf juding on his side.

No matter how this fight plays out, I won't be shocked. It's really up in the air how it could go. I kinda wanna lean toward Taylor, but I feel like I haven't seen the best of Jose Ramirez, yet I do feel like I saw Taylor pushed to his limits against Prograis.
Ramirez tends not to use his jab as much as he should while Taylor is good about using his. They both get hit, and they both are pretty good at exchanging inside, tho I'd give Ramirez a very slight advantage there with Taylor being better and waiting for the right single shot. Not matter how it plays out, it's gonna be a good one.

DON'T MISS IT.

Who you got?

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
4 rounds in, this is a GREAT FUCKING FIGHT
May 22nd 2021
Josh Taylor is now the undisputed Junior Welterweight Champion
May 22nd 2021
Tough loss for the Central Cali faithful but ultimately can't argue nm
May 23rd 2021
Amazing fight
May 24th 2021
RE: Amazing fight
May 28th 2021

Boogie Stimuli
14000 posts
Sat May-22-21 09:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "4 rounds in, this is a GREAT FUCKING FIGHT"
In response to Reply # 0

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14000 posts
Sat May-22-21 09:54 PM

2. "Josh Taylor is now the undisputed Junior Welterweight Champion"
In response to Reply # 0

Ramirez went down in rds 6 and 7. Recovered really quickly in rd 6, but the KD in 7 really buzzed him. Helluva uppercut from Taylor. Ramirez did have Taylor hurt a lot in the fight, but Taylor does a good job of moving and clinching when he's hurt, although I'm not the biggest fan of clinching.

~
~
~
~
~

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Sun May-23-21 12:18 AM

3. "Tough loss for the Central Cali faithful but ultimately can't argue nm"
In response to Reply # 0

---

But hell, what do I know?

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Mon May-24-21 06:11 PM

4. "Amazing fight"
In response to Reply # 0

I had picked Taylor going into it as well. I couldn't watch it live, but caught it last night. The only thing that I will add is that, although I believe Taylor is p4p at this point, I do believe that the thing that separates him from fighters near the top of my list is their killer instinct. Maybe I should rewatch, but I feel like if someone like a Bud has Ramirez in that position going into the 8th round, he finds a way to get him outta there, but Taylor seemed pedestrian and content coasting

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Boogie Stimuli
14000 posts
Fri May-28-21 02:50 PM

5. "RE: Amazing fight"
In response to Reply # 4

Oh most definitely. Bud might be the best finisher in the game. Taylor is good, but he's not one of my favorites tbh. I'm not a huge fan of the "run or clinch" style where a fighter just moves away and then grabs their opponent if they get too close. I know ppl call it smart boxing, but my view on it is different, and I won't get too deep into it. He really didn't wanna stand toe to toe with Ramirez. The last time he did that, his eye got fucked up and he wouldn't have gotten the win if the fight wasn't in his neck of the woods (against Prograis). He showed good counter-punching ability in this fight tho.

~
~
~
~
~

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2737623 Previous topic | Next topic