Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2737461

Subject: "Sabrina Ionescu youngest player in WNBA history to record a triple-doubl..." Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed May-19-21 02:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sabrina Ionescu youngest player in WNBA history to record a triple-doubl..."

New York Liberty's Sabrina Ionescu youngest player in WNBA history to record a triple-double

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/31468633/new-york-liberty-sabrina-ionescu-youngest-player-wnba-history-record-triple-double

NEW YORK -- Sabrina Ionescu has already left her mark in this young season, becoming the fastest player in WNBA history to record a triple-double.

Ionescu had 26 points, 12 assists and 10 rebounds to help New York beat the Minnesota Lynx 86-75 on Tuesday night, giving the Liberty their first 3-0 start in 14 years. It was also their first triple-double in franchise history.

"Obviously getting a triple-double in a win is important," Ionescu said. "Super proud of my teammates, my coaching staff for helping me get that. ... I'm super grateful. It's definitely pretty cool .''

At 23 years and 163 days, she is the youngest player in WNBA history to accomplish the feat. The previous youngest was Deanna Nolan (25 years, 269 days) on May 21, 2005, according to Elias Sports Bureau research.

Making It Look Easy
Before this season, no player in WNBA history recorded a triple-double in her first 50 career games. But Sabrina Ionescu managed to do it in her sixth contest Tuesday night. A look at how long it's taken for those in the WNBA who have triple-doubles on their résumés.

YEAR PLAYER CAREER GAME

2021 Sabrina Ionescu 6th
1999 Sheryl Swoopes 59th
2001 Margo Dydek 98th
2005 Deanna Nolan 126th
2019 Chelsea Gray 148th
2018 C. Vandersloot 230th
2004 Lisa Leslie 235th
2017 Candace Parker 250th
2014 Temeka Johnson 285th
-- ESPN Stats & Information

Ionescu, the No. 1 pick in the 2020 WNBA draft, became the ninth different player in league history to have a triple-double and the first since Chelsea Gray did so in 2019. The Liberty's young star did it in her second season and sixth WNBA game -- the earliest in a career that it had ever been done. Sheryl Swoopes, who had the league's first triple-double and is the only player with two in her career, accomplished the feat in her 59th career game -- the previous fastest mark.

Ionescu, who had an NCAA record 26 triple-doubles in college at Oregon, also became the second player in WNBA history with a 20-point triple-double, joining Lisa Leslie, who did so on Sept. 9, 2004 (29 points, 15 rebounds, 10 blocks).

Liberty coach Walt Hopkins wasn't surprised by his young star's success.

"She puts the work in for these moments. Does the work in the offseason, so she's prepared now. She's got a special mentality in her belief in herself, her teammates and her desire to win,'' Hopkins said. "It's matched by her teammates. We're getting off to this hot start because they all have that mindset of being hungry."

Ionescu has now had a game-winning buzzer beater in her first home game Friday and a triple-double in her second game at Barclays Center to help the Liberty to their best start since 2007, when they won their first five games.

"The 3-0 start is a big deal for one, there have been some really great Liberty teams throughout history,'' Hopkins said. "That's pretty special to get out to this. This team getting to see what they are capable of early is a big deal for us."

New York trailed 45-43 at the half before outscoring Minnesota 19-10 in the third quarter to go up 62-55 heading to the final period.

The Liberty expanded on that lead, and Ionescu reached the triple-double, corralling her 10th rebound with 5:24 left in the fourth. She then nailed a 3-pointer at the other end to extend the advantage to 75-65. Minnesota couldn't get closer the rest of the way.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
NY is looking tough so far...
May 19th 2021
the liberty really might make noise this season
May 19th 2021
dude, the league is so talented…
May 19th 2021
      mfs coming off the bench who should be primary options on a team
May 19th 2021
           no doubt
May 19th 2021
           Yeah, it's nuts...
May 20th 2021
Props...
May 19th 2021
Not at all surprised- she's built for this nm
May 19th 2021
Of course she is.
May 20th 2021
Will bueckers be better than her?
May 20th 2021
No
May 21st 2021
wow okp has matured.
May 21st 2021
Honestly I had never heard of Sabrina Ionescu until she spoke at Kobe's....
May 21st 2021
write_serengeti would be proud
May 23rd 2021
TBF the talent level and presentation of the league has come further
May 23rd 2021
Mystics are definitely not one of the premier teams, but…
May 23rd 2021

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Wed May-19-21 02:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "NY is looking tough so far..."
In response to Reply # 0

I know everyone is drooling over Seattle & Vegas. Both of those teams are stacked. But I got Chicago as my dark horse this year. Candace should be just what they need to get themselves over the hump.

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Wed May-19-21 05:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "the liberty really might make noise this season"
In response to Reply # 1

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed May-19-21 07:52 PM

5. "dude, the league is so talented…"
In response to Reply # 1

I was watching Sky/Mystics…looked like an All Star game.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Wed May-19-21 07:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "mfs coming off the bench who should be primary options on a team"
In response to Reply # 5

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed May-19-21 08:26 PM

7. "no doubt"
In response to Reply # 6

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22285 posts
Thu May-20-21 11:45 AM

8. "Yeah, it's nuts..."
In response to Reply # 6

A couple years ago, Megan Gustafson was player of the year. Got drafted by Dallas but she didn't make the squad in the preseason. They brought her back later after injuries opened up some spots.

I hope they can find a way to increase the number of teams soon.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed May-19-21 05:20 PM

2. "Props..."
In response to Reply # 0

..keep going!

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed May-19-21 07:28 PM

4. "Not at all surprised- she's built for this nm"
In response to Reply # 0

---

But hell, what do I know?

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Thu May-20-21 11:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Of course she is."
In response to Reply # 0

She's about to own this entire league by the end of next season.

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Thu May-20-21 05:38 PM

10. "Will bueckers be better than her?"
In response to Reply # 0

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri May-21-21 07:14 AM

11. "No"
In response to Reply # 10

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59173 posts
Fri May-21-21 10:30 AM

12. "wow okp has matured."
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri May-21-21 12:49 PM

13. "Honestly I had never heard of Sabrina Ionescu until she spoke at Kobe's...."
In response to Reply # 12

memorial service. That caused me to research her and become a fan.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sun May-23-21 07:39 PM

15. "write_serengeti would be proud"

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Sun May-23-21 10:49 PM

16. "TBF the talent level and presentation of the league has come further"

especially the presentation. you have WNBA players in commercials now, getting shoe deals, etc

the league/media treating the product more equal is way more important to how its being accepted now vs us going anywhere, imo

<--- Big Baller World Order

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sun May-23-21 07:24 PM

14. "Mystics are definitely not one of the premier teams, but…"
In response to Reply # 0

I’ve really been enjoying what Tina Charles is doing. Getting Delle Donne back will certainly be a boost.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2737461 Previous topic | Next topic