Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2735953

Subject: "Favre:it's hard to believe that Derek Chauvin meant to kill George Floyd..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Apr-27-21 09:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Favre:it's hard to believe that Derek Chauvin meant to kill George Floyd..."

I'm not really surprised by the views of a dude from rural Mississippi but at some point you'd think these guys learn to STFU lol...

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brett-favre-said-hard-believe-193026316.html

Brett Favre said it's hard to believe that Derek Chauvin meant to kill George Floyd, and other athletes have lashed out in response
Jackson Thompson
Thu, 22 April 2021, 2:30 pm·3-min read

Brett Favre said that it's 'hard to believe' Derek Chauvin meant to kill George Floyd.

Favre made the comments on his podcast "Bolling with Favre."

Several NFL current and former players have harshly responded to Favre on social media.

Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

Brett Favre finds it hard to believe that Derek Chauvin meant to kill George Floyd.

The Hall-of-Fame NFL quarterback gave his perspective on Chauvin's recent guilty verdict on his podcast "Bolling with Favre" on Wednesday.

"I find it hard to believe, and I'm not defending Derek Chauvin in any way, I find it hard to believe, first of all, that he intentionally meant to kill George Floyd," Favre said. "That being said, his actions were uncalled for. I don't care what color the person is on the street. I don't know what led to that video that we saw where his knee is on his neck, but the man had thrown in the towel."

Favre's comments have elicited strong backlash from other players.

Former Pro Bowl wide receiver Steve Smith addressed Favre's comments with an Instagram post, saying: "I have so much respect for the career you had. HOF, awards, etc. ... However on this subject, yo Mr. Favre STFU respectfully real talk! Privilege ass!"

Another former NFL wide reciever, Torrey Smith, doesn't believe Favre should be asked about any topics other than playing quarterback.

Favre's comments come just one week after he said he felt sports were becoming too political and that fans had stopped watching due to athletes taking public stances on issues, during an appearance on"The Andrew Klavan Show" on The Daily Wire.

"I can't tell you how many people - including yourself - tell me: 'I don't watch anymore. It's not about the game anymore.' And I tend to agree," Favre said. "I know when I turn on a game, I want to watch a game. I want to watch players play and teams win, lose, come from behind. I want to watch all the important parts of the game, not what's going on outside of the game, and I think the general fan feels the same way."

Favre previously has stirred controversy over his stance on racial issues in American in August when he told USA Today that there was "no right answer" on the topic of NFL players kneeling during the national anthem.

"I know from being in an NFL locker room for 20 years, regardless of race, background, money you grew up with, we were all brothers it didn't matter," Favre said. "Guys got along great. Will that be the same (with kneeling scenario)? I don't know. If one guy chooses to stand for his cause and another guy chooses to kneel for his cause, is one right and the other wrong? I don't believe so. We tend to be fixed on highs.

"I don't know what it's like to be Black. It's not for me to say what's right and what's wrong," Favre said. "I do know we should all be treated equal. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be in America."

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I’m a free thinker myself.
Apr 22nd 2021
Ah another offensive, unsolicited thing he sent out I see.
Apr 22nd 2021
A white QB from Mississippi said whaaat?
Apr 23rd 2021
Disclaimer: I'm not defending Favre. Period.
Apr 23rd 2021
RE: Disclaimer: I'm not defending Favre. Period.
Apr 23rd 2021
The distinction is irrelevant and farve shoulda recognized that
Apr 23rd 2021
its important to know this is how most white people feel even though...
Apr 23rd 2021
It’s an irrelevant distinction in court. But what he really means
Apr 27th 2021
      Did you mean to say it IS a relevant distinction in court?
Apr 27th 2021
           That's what I did say - "It's" = "It is"
Apr 27th 2021
                Lol you said its irrelevant in court
Apr 27th 2021
Dog Whistle. He's gonna run for office.
Apr 27th 2021
hard to believe with his background but we had a president
Apr 27th 2021
Fuck Favre and anyone else that thinks like him...
Apr 27th 2021

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 05:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I’m a free thinker myself. "
In response to Reply # 0

No matter if it alienates or attracts like-minded individuals.

However, when speaking on topics outside of my culture, there are
boundaries that must be respected and acknowledged. He fails to understand
that, because he has a certain belief of this country and of the police, so
that means he is bias. And it is because of that bias that his opinion is
insensitive and irreverent.

He is a cloaked good ole’boy.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43711 posts
Thu Apr-22-21 05:24 PM

2. "Ah another offensive, unsolicited thing he sent out I see."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79225 posts
Fri Apr-23-21 09:05 AM

3. "A white QB from Mississippi said whaaat? "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16147 posts
Fri Apr-23-21 09:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Disclaimer: I'm not defending Favre. Period."
In response to Reply # 0

He should STFU, yes.

However, if you draw a distinction between premeditated murder in the first degree, and what Chauvin was convicted for—second degree murder, non-premeditated, but an assault where death was a very possible outcome—then there's an argument that Chauvin didn't "mean" to kill Floyd in the sense that he thought to himself, "I am going to deliberately kill this man today." At least, that wasn't legally provable, I guess.

So if that's the line that Favre meant, then there's that.

Realistically, though, Favre likely didn't have fine legal distinctions in mind. More probably he struggles to understand that regardless of what Chauvin did or did not premeditate, he chose to try to demonstrate such power and control over another human being that he didn't care whether that person lived or died. Which in some ways is worse and scarier, because that's the behavior of a psychopath.

Anyway, the moral is, fuck Favre. Just trying to think through what he said.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Fri Apr-23-21 06:34 PM

7. "RE: Disclaimer: I'm not defending Favre. Period."
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah, Chauvin probably did not decide to kill Floyd, nor is that what he is charged with. He just decided to hurt him and was unconcerned with the outcome. Like if someone bumped into you and you stabbed them in the abdomen and left them laying on the ground.

It's an irrelevant point as you said, because that is not what he was charged with.

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59114 posts
Fri Apr-23-21 12:19 PM

5. "The distinction is irrelevant and farve shoulda recognized that"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel theres a bit of an overreaction when you consider his whole statement.

The snippet is insensitive at worst imo

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Apr-23-21 01:13 PM

6. "its important to know this is how most white people feel even though..."
In response to Reply # 5

most would never say it out loud

soulfunk
Charter member
10984 posts
Tue Apr-27-21 04:49 AM

8. " It’s an irrelevant distinction in court. But what he really means"
In response to Reply # 5

is that he doesn’t think it was murder and should only be manslaughter. But by legal definition it was absolutely second degree murder. There are multiple levels of intent in those different degrees.

Cenario
59114 posts
Tue Apr-27-21 06:12 AM

9. "Did you mean to say it IS a relevant distinction in court?"
In response to Reply # 8

then I agree. But Favre wasn't in court and the court got it right...none of the charges had "intent" as an element.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

soulfunk
Charter member
10984 posts
Tue Apr-27-21 07:39 AM

10. "That's what I did say - "It's" = "It is""
In response to Reply # 9

And I absolutely agree.

>then I agree. But Favre wasn't in court and the court got it
>right...none of the charges had "intent" as an element.

Cenario
59114 posts
Tue Apr-27-21 08:41 AM

11. "Lol you said its irrelevant in court"
In response to Reply # 10

I'm asking if you meant to say it is relevant in court?

Castro
Charter member
50716 posts
Tue Apr-27-21 09:20 AM

12. "Dog Whistle. He's gonna run for office. "
In response to Reply # 0

He'll find one of his old Black teammates to stand with him or make a public statement on his behalf.

He'll clean up real nice in a suit, look like a buff Bond.....

but he'll still be a mouth breather, saying stupid shit.

------------------
One Hundred.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Apr-27-21 09:24 AM

13. "hard to believe with his background but we had a president"
In response to Reply # 12

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Apr-27-21 09:25 AM

14. "Fuck Favre and anyone else that thinks like him..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-27-21 12:42 PM by CyrenYoung

..people like Favre are one of the main obstacles in the challenge of seeking fairness in policing. This fool actually finds it hard to believe that there are people out there that don't value lives in balance.

This fool simply doesn't want to believe that he lives in a world that sees Black people as "less than" and continues to prey upon us daily.

I don't give a fuck if Chauvin awoke with murder on his mind the day that he murdered George Floyd. The only thing that matters is that when given several opportunities to preserve Floyd's life, he LITERALLY sat on his neck and watched him die.

FUCK HIM AND ANYONE THAT DEFENDS ANYTHING ABOUT HIS LIFE.

That includes Favre and any other dumbass that decides to voice their unsolicited opinion on this topic.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2735953 Previous topic | Next topic