Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2733058

Subject: "Athing Mu!" Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 01:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Athing Mu!"

Lot of really noteworthy times lately, but COVID has kept the field sizes in America pretty small so the races don't *look* like races. Europe seems to have a better handle on this, and that Lemlem Hailu jailbreak in the 3000m a couple weeks ago was one of the better indoor distance broadcasts I've ever seen.

Athing Mu's 1:58 wasn't really an interesting race, but watching somebody this young and talented absolutely destroy a quality SEC field and run a time that's nearly a world leader was... really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og2wArp1k30

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It’s a good time.
Mar 03rd 2021
The shoe takes are tedious
Mar 03rd 2021
      It’s not natural, so it’s not better.
Mar 03rd 2021
           She's not even wearing the shoes
Mar 03rd 2021
                Look, bro
Mar 06th 2021
NVM
Mar 06th 2021

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 01:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It’s a good time."
In response to Reply # 0

I want to be positive about this and not come off as a downer,
but shoe technology has really pushed a lot of fast times. Hopefully,
she’s legit( natural).

Ajee Wilson is still tops for USA. I’m not sure what is up with Lipsey.
We shall see.

But that is a good time.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 03:34 PM

2. "The shoe takes are tedious"
In response to Reply # 1

Who actually cares about the shoes? Anybody that matters? Not the IAAF, which means the issue is closed and the shoes are here. That means everybody is free to either enjoy these awesome fast races or to be a dork whining about the perfectly legal shoes.

I know what I choose: to see this leap forward in shoe tech in the context of prior, similar leaps in shoe and track surface technology.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 04:08 PM

3. "It’s not natural, so it’s not better."
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Mar-03-21 04:17 PM by allStah

Bounce track technology to give tracks more bounce, carbon spring plates in shoes,
where records are being crushed...not broken ..but crushed... It’s making it
less human.

There used to be a balance between tech and natural ability. But if the tech is
allowing you to run faster with no fatigue, it defeats the purpose. You didn’t push your human system, where you have to fight off exhaust, pain and
mental fatigue to accomplish glory.

And breaking records with pacing lights? It will never match an athlete using his/her
own internal pacing ability. To have human rabbits and pacers for 2 laps is one thing,
but to just simply follow lights around a track is something that is non-organic and
tedious.

Btw, you’re talking to a former masters runner and track guy, who has witnessed
a plethora of natural moments of glory in track and field.

Remember when David Rudisha broke the WR in the Olympics while winning gold?
No pacers. Just all out endurance and motivation and a pair of regular adidas track
spikes. And his record still stands. However, a former NOP runner might break his
record because he is a freaking doper.

Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Wed Mar-03-21 04:32 PM

4. "She's not even wearing the shoes"
In response to Reply # 3

It's also worth pointing out that Mu appears to be wearing Nike Superfly Elite. Great spikes. Pretty pricey. Not the headline-grabbing super spikes though.

No guidelights. No pacer.

Go on though. Somebody has to keep the I'VE GOT A TAKE machine going or it's gonna get rusty while the rest of us have fun watching 19 year olds throw down blazing times, solo, in conference championship meets.

--Walleye's Dad

allStah
9816 posts
Sat Mar-06-21 12:33 PM

6. "Look, bro"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat Mar-06-21 12:39 PM by allStah

I just hope it’s natural. That’s all I’m saying. I have a right to be skeptical
in a doped-up sport from the high school level to the pros. I have a major
reason to be skeptical, especially in track in field.

One of the main problems in the sport are people who turn a blind eye to doping
and technology that has altered the sport beyond natural levels.

So, when it comes to track and field, and records being shattered, I always question
the authenticity. Unfortunately, the history of the sport has led to that.

Now, if you can’t understand that I don’t know what to tell you.

allStah
9816 posts
Sat Mar-06-21 12:22 PM

5. "NVM"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Mar-06-21 12:40 PM by allStah

NVM

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2733058 Previous topic | Next topic