Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2732433

Subject: "A postive post about Russell Westbrook" Previous topic | Next topic
Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Fri Feb-19-21 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"A postive post about Russell Westbrook"

link: https://deadline.com/2021/02/history-channel-greenlight-tulsa-burning-the-1921-race-massacre-documentary-from-stanley-nelson-marco-williams-russell-westbrook-1234695730/

swipe:

History Channel Greenlights ‘Tulsa Burning: The 1921 Race Massacre’ Docu From Stanley Nelson, Marco Williams And Russell Westbrook

By Dino-Ray Ramos
Dino-Ray Ramos

The History Channel has picked up Tulsa Burning: The 1921 Race Massacre (working title) from Peabody and Emmy-Award winner Stanley Nelson and Peabody and duPont-Award winner Marco Williams. The documentary also comes from NBA superstar Russell Westbrook, Donnell Beverly (President of Russell Westbrook Enterprises), Blackfin (an eOne company) and Firelight Films.

Directed by Nelson (Freedom Riders) and Williams (Two Towns of Jasper) and executive produced by Westbrook, the two-hour docu was initially titled Tulsa Burning: The 1921 Race Massacre and was announced in June 2020, days after the 99th anniversary of the Tulsa race massacre, one of worst acts of racial violence in American history, in which mobs of white residents attacked and ultimately destroyed the Greenwood District in Tulsa, OK, at that time the wealthiest black community in the United States, known as “Black Wall Street”. The project is slated to air in the spring on The History Channel timed with the 100th anniversary of the massacre in Tulsa.

The docu will take an in-depth, sobering look at the events of a century ago and how the impact is still being felt today. It will focus on a specific period, from the birth of Black Wall Street to its downfall over the course of two bloody days, and finally the fallout and reconstruction. It will also incorporate rare archival footage and imagery from the time, as well as weave in present-day stories and interviews from historians from organizations including the Tulsa Historical Society & Museum, the John Hope Franklin Center for Reconciliation, the Tulsa Race Massacre Centennial Commission, and the Historic Vernon AME Church, among others. The events may have happened decades ago, but they still speak truth to today’s Black Lives Matter movement and the country’s fight for social justice.

“The Tulsa Race Massacre was not something I was taught about in school or in any of my history books,” said Westbrook. “It was only after spending 11 years in Oklahoma that I learned of this deeply troubling and heartbreaking event. This is one of many overlooked stories of African Americans in this country that deserves to be told. These are the stories we must honor and amplify so we can learn from the past and create a better future.”

Nelson added, “The horrific story of the burning of Black Wall Street has long haunted me. While I was able to touch on the Tulsa Race Massacre in a short segment in an earlier film, I knew this story needed a much deeper treatment.”

The director expressed his gratitude to Williams who he partnered with on Tell Them We Are Rising as well as Westrook, Blackfin and The History Channel. He continued, “Together we are aiming to restore Tulsa, Oklahoma and the fateful events surrounding the 1921 massacre of its Black residents to their rightful place in American history.”

Eli Lehrer, Executive Vice President and Head of Programming for The History Channel said, “Nearly 100 years later, the emotions from the Tulsa Race Massacre are still embedded in the fabric of our society and this poignant piece of our history is sadly relevant now more than ever, as racially charged events unfold before us during our present history. I am honored to partner with Russell, Stanley and Marco to tell this harrowing story with an authenticity and dignity only they can bring.”

To bring further awareness and education to the massacre, The History Channel will join the Russell Westbrook Why Not? Foundation, Endeavor, RedFlight Innovation and Values Partnerships to create an educational and experiential campaign focused on the legacy of Tulsa’s Black Wall Street. It will provide historical context while encouraging young people nationwide to pursue avenues of innovation and entrepreneurship. The initiative will communicate the importance of investing in Black communities, with an emphasis on youth – connecting the docuseries to the need for progress and development now.

This is not the only project that will put the spotlight and amplify the seldom-told story of the Tulsa massacre. In October 2020, CNN Films announced they are boarding Dreamland: The Rise and Fall of Black Wall Street which comes from from LeBron James and Maverick Carter’s SpringHill Entertainment. The docu will also be released this year, timed with the horrific event’s 100th anniversary.

In addition to these docus, HBO’s award-winning scripted series Misha Green’s Lovecraft Country and Damon Lindelof’s Watchmen incorporated the 1921 Tulsa Massacre into the narrative.

Tulsa Burning: The 1921 Race Massacre is produced for The History Channel by Blackfin (an eOne Company) and Firelight Films. Nelson is set to direct along with Marco Williams. Westbrook is executive producer. Geno McDermott is executive producer for Blackfin. Nelson is executive producer for Firelight Films. Eli Lehrer and Jen Wagman are executive producers for The History Channel.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Thumbs up.
Feb 19th 2021
Just remarkable
Feb 20th 2021
^
May 29th 2021
HOF player and person
May 29th 2021
My brother was the DP on this film.
May 29th 2021
Congrats to you and your family...
May 29th 2021
dope nm
May 29th 2021
Nice and rewarding for someone black
May 29th 2021
super cool
Jun 01st 2021
It was nice
Jun 01st 2021

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Fri Feb-19-21 12:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Thumbs up."
In response to Reply # 0

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sat Feb-20-21 02:05 AM

2. "Just remarkable"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat May-29-21 08:34 AM

3. "^"
In response to Reply # 0

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Sat May-29-21 09:35 AM

4. "HOF player and person"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36965 posts
Sat May-29-21 10:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "My brother was the DP on this film."
In response to Reply # 0

Eric D. Seals.

He's worked real hard to grow as a filmmaker, and he's doing some great stuff.

We're all getting together as a family on Sunday to watch it.
Our production company worked with Marco Williams on
some of the Chicago interviews.

https://digife.com

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sat May-29-21 11:34 AM

6. "Congrats to you and your family..."
In response to Reply # 5

..Tell Eric I said whaddup.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Sat May-29-21 01:23 PM

7. "dope nm"
In response to Reply # 5

---

But hell, what do I know?

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Sat May-29-21 02:01 PM

8. "Nice and rewarding for someone black"
In response to Reply # 5

to get to work on something that is meaningful like the subject this film covers.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

guru0509
Charter member
45354 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 10:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "super cool"
In response to Reply # 5

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Tue Jun-01-21 10:15 AM

9. "It was nice"
In response to Reply # 0

how the special tied in current events to the killings and theft of land/property/businesses that took place a century ago during the Black Wall Street massacres.

This seems like such a clear cut instance where proven descendants should get city and state funded reparations to correct the wrongs from that incident since the police and fire department did nothing to stop the massacres at the time and in the instance of the police, actually help the massacre worsen.

Very cool to see that local clergy members were calling for reparations in this instance.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2732433 Previous topic | Next topic