Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2732298

Subject: "Draymond on NBA players: Double standards or not?" Previous topic | Next topic
Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Feb-16-21 03:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Draymond on NBA players: Double standards or not?"

Does he have a valid point about how players are treated when they're possibly being traded or bought out as opposed to players openly communicating and pushing for a trade?

I think the media and fans are the ones who make these dudes quiver more than ownership of the teams. As the person owning and running a business, it is my responsibility to get the most out of my investment that I can. It ain't personal. "Issa business! And you ain't too foregone to see that!"

Double standard or not?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/warriors-draymond-green-calls-out-hypocrisy-of-how-players-and-teams-are-treated-during-trade-talks/

"I would like to talk about something that's really bothering me, and that's the treatment of players in this league. To watch Andre Drummond before the game sit on the sideline, then go to the back and come out in street clothes because a team is going to trade him. Because when James Harden asked for a trade, and essentially dogged it, I don't think anyone is going to fight that James was dogging it his last days in Houston. But he was castrated for wanting to go to a different team. Everybody destroyed that man, and yet a team can come out and say 'oh we want to trade a guy,' and then that guy is to go sit, and if he doesn't stay professional, then he's a cancer, he's not good in someone's locker room, and he's the issue.

"We've seen situations of Harrison Barnes getting pulled off of the bench, DeMarcus Cousins finding out that he got traded in an interview after the All-Star Game, and we continue to let this happen, but I got fined for stating my opinion on what I thought should happen with another player, but teams can come out and continue to say 'oh, we're trading guys, we're not playing you,' and yet we're to stay professional.

"At some point, as players, we need to be treated with the same respect and have the same rights that the team can have, because as a player, you're the worst person in the world when you want a different situation, but a team can say that they're trading you, and that man is to stay in shape, he is to stay professional, and if not, his career is on the line. At some point, this league has to protect the players from embarrassment like that.

"We talk all of this stuff about, 'you can't do this,' 'you can't say that publicly,' 'if you say that publicly you're fined.' Anthony Davis got fined I think $100,000 or something like that for demanding a trade publicly, but you can say 'Andre Drummond is getting traded' publicly, and 'we're looking to trade him' publicly, and he's to stay professional and just deal with it? Then when Kyrie Irving says 'my mental health is off,' everyone goes crazy about that too. Do you not think that affects someone mentally? As much as we put into this game, to be great, to come out here and be in shape, to produce for fans every single night, and most importantly, to help your team win, do you not think that doesn't affect someone mentally?

"But as players, we're told 'oh no, you can't say that, you can't say this,' but teams can? It goes along the same lines of when everyone wants to say 'ah man, that young guy can't figure it out,' but no one wants to say the organization can't figure it out. At some point the players must be respected in these situations, and it's ridiculous and I'm sick of seeing it."

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Extremely valid points
Feb 16th 2021
Oh, he's absolutely correct.
Feb 16th 2021
ALL FAX nm
Feb 16th 2021
kept it 100
Feb 16th 2021
RE: Draymond on NBA players: Double standards or not?
Feb 17th 2021
Valid points...terrible example IRT Harden
Feb 17th 2021
he's right about the dynamic
Feb 18th 2021
meh.. of course there is a double standard
Feb 18th 2021
Yeah i think this where im at
Feb 18th 2021
They're supposed to be partners...
Feb 18th 2021
      They are called owners, not partners.. lol
Feb 18th 2021
      Bron was signing 1 year contracts for awhile
Feb 18th 2021
           true...
Feb 18th 2021
           Exactly where I am with it.
Feb 18th 2021
      Thry are?
Feb 18th 2021
           Someone believed that bullshit?
Feb 18th 2021
double standard and double technical fouls in the same week
Feb 21st 2021

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Feb-16-21 05:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Extremely valid points "
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Tue Feb-16-21 05:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Oh, he's absolutely correct. "
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Tue Feb-16-21 05:33 PM

3. "ALL FAX nm"
In response to Reply # 0

---

But hell, what do I know?

agentzero
Member since Apr 12th 2007
1907 posts
Tue Feb-16-21 05:40 PM

4. "kept it 100"
In response to Reply # 0

To people like US, a record is a piece of history. A moment in time.
Most people don't get it.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Feb-17-21 09:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Draymond on NBA players: Double standards or not?"
In response to Reply # 0

>I think the media and fans are the ones who make these dudes
>quiver more than ownership of the teams. As the person owning
>and running a business, it is my responsibility to get the
>most out of my investment that I can. It ain't personal. "Issa
>business! And you ain't too foregone to see that!"
>

But if the team isn't required to show any loyalty, why should the player? That's the double standard he's calling out here. What Harden did was a business strategy (and it worked!), same as a team sitting a guy so you can trade him. In situations like this, the player is called selfish, but when a team makes a similar move, at worst, they're called shrewd. More often they're just called smart.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Feb-17-21 10:40 PM

6. "Valid points...terrible example IRT Harden"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-17-21 10:47 PM by bentagain

Harden signed the max
Then tanked in the middle of the contract to force his way off the team
and HOU did him a solid by trading him to the team he chose

ERRYBODY said Harden tanked his way off HOU

Where’s the injustice?

CLE and DET aren’t exactly exemplary franchises either

F them too...

I always felt like the decision hate was unwarranted

But these examples...meh...I don’t see the outrage honestly

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 12:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "he's right about the dynamic"
In response to Reply # 0

although I will say this, the Drummond example? Drummond earned the benching. he been bullshitting since the Nets trade. dare I say it, he's been more of an impediment to the team than Kevin Porter Jr. was.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79552 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 07:27 AM

8. "meh.. of course there is a double standard"
In response to Reply # 0

One group pays the other.. of course they are treated differently.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59168 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 08:44 AM

9. "Yeah i think this where im at"
In response to Reply # 8

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 08:49 AM

10. "They're supposed to be partners..."
In response to Reply # 9

..therein lies the rub.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

legsdiamond
79552 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 08:57 AM

11. "They are called owners, not partners.. lol"
In response to Reply # 10

seriously tho, I get his frustration with being fined for speaking out on wanting to be traded.

but this idea that teams can trade players or make moves without the level of criticism isn’t true. Teams get trashed all the time for bad moves, bad pocks and bad management.

GM’s and coaches get fired and sometimes its because the star player forces a team to make a change.

and lastly, a lot of times its the fans of the team that are the worst critics because they are loyal to the team, not the player

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 09:03 AM

12. "Bron was signing 1 year contracts for awhile "
In response to Reply # 11

If players want that freedom...there is an option

Sounds like they want it both ways IMO

Sign these max/multi-year contracts...and be able to walk away from them

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 11:55 AM

13. "true..."
In response to Reply # 12

>If players want that freedom...there is an option
>
>Sounds like they want it both ways IMO
>
>Sign these max/multi-year contracts...and be able to walk away
>from them

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 12:27 PM

14. "Exactly where I am with it. "
In response to Reply # 12

RE: Bron was signing 1 year contracts for awhile

>If players want that freedom...there is an option
>
>Sounds like they want it both ways IMO
>
>Sign these max/multi-year contracts...and be able to walk away
>from them

These dudes try to flex but don't always have the leverage to flex. Bron took all the risk and it paid off for him each time.

This is also how I feel about the Deshaun Watson situation in Houston.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59168 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 02:33 PM

15. "Thry are?"
In response to Reply # 10

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

legsdiamond
79552 posts
Thu Feb-18-21 03:58 PM

16. "Someone believed that bullshit? "
In response to Reply # 15

legsdiamond
79552 posts
Sun Feb-21-21 09:24 AM

17. "double standard and double technical fouls in the same week"
In response to Reply # 8

thanks for the W you loud mouthed bastard

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2732298 Previous topic | Next topic