Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2730561

Subject: "Damn, Conor got his jaw tapped" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56225 posts
Sun Jan-24-21 01:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Damn, Conor got his jaw tapped"
Sun Jan-24-21 01:50 AM by Dstl1

https://twitter.com/DraftKings/status/1353217769588879361?s=20

Twitter on him, quick
https://twitter.com/ComplexSports/status/1353220291661586432?s=20

Khabib got in there
Twitter is saying Khabibโ€™s mans tweeted this
https://twitter.com/TeamKhabib/status/1353224871522807808?s=20

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Lol...Iโ€™m done...
Jan 24th 2021
RE: Lol...Iโ€™m done...
Jan 24th 2021
Poirier worked the shit out of that leg boy
Jan 24th 2021
Conor needs a new angle when it comes to talking shit to Khabib
Jan 24th 2021
he looked like shit 2nd round, and I think this is beginning of the end
Jan 25th 2021
He's done.
Jan 25th 2021
Helwani: Conor and his team want trilogy fight with Poirier, in May
Jan 25th 2021
pass
Jan 26th 2021
I enjoyed watching him get smashed again
Jan 26th 2021
you're not wholly inaccurate, but his ascent was electric
Jan 27th 2021
๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘€
Jul 11th 2021
He said Dustin was gonna leave on a stretcher.
Jul 11th 2021
The descent has been sharp
Jul 11th 2021
For the record, I am not a fan of the man
Jul 12th 2021
RE: For the record, I am not a fan of the man
Jul 12th 2021
Jon Jones has only cleared 1 mil PPV buys once (with Cormier).
Jul 12th 2021
      it seems inevitable that they lump the PPVs into a premium ESPN+ sub
Jul 12th 2021
This is getting pathetic, man.
Jul 15th 2021

Dstl1
Charter member
56225 posts
Sun Jan-24-21 01:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Lol...Iโ€™m done..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/Kofie/status/1353217598385778688?s=20

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Sun Jan-24-21 01:36 PM

4. "RE: Lol...Iโ€™m done..."
In response to Reply # 1

the shannon one LMAO

------------------
One Hundred.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85055 posts
Sun Jan-24-21 09:35 AM

2. "Poirier worked the shit out of that leg boy"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Sun Jan-24-21 12:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Conor needs a new angle when it comes to talking shit to Khabib"
In response to Reply # 0

Calling him disrespectful after the shit he said and then eventually apologized for leading up to the first fight. Plus the whole trying to say he's running from you after he dominated doesn't add up. The route he took with Poirier would actually get people on his side where he was more humble after losing to Khabib. But nobody wants to see a part 2 with Khabib after he dominated you and then Poirer put you to sleep. It's clear that guy is different and fights for legacy over money, he wants the GSP fight or nothing it seems.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 09:14 AM

5. "he looked like shit 2nd round, and I think this is beginning of the end"
In response to Reply # 0

you can't be that rich and that inactive and come back thinking it'll be a cakewalk against top tier guys like Dustin Poirier. He actually did wobble Poirier first round, and Poirier himself said he was another shot or two from going out. But McGregor never adjusted to the leg kicks - they immobilized him, made his striking wild, and stood him still long enough for DP to tag him up.

If Conor wants to make the adjustments necessary to compete I believe he can still compete. But he's also so wealthy and comfortable at this point that I'm unsure why he'd want to.

His heyday was a lightning bolt of excitement, but truthfully the Conor that everyone fell in love with last showed himself about 5.5 years ago. Since his master class against Eddie Alvarez at MSG, McGregor "fought" Mayweather in a side show boxing exhibition , got his ass kicked by Khabib, ran through old washed Donald Cerrone, and got his ass kicked by Dustin Poirier. I think we need to recalibrate our expectations of Conor McGregor moving forward. He's made no adjustments stylistically, has barely competed, and has been mostly unimpressive in his two competitions against elite guys (Khabib and Poirier.)

He may come back, but I sense this is the beginning of the end for him ala Chuck Liddell after Rampage or Anderson Silva after Chris Weidman. As soon as these guys feel automatic and bigger than their weight classes, that seems to be when their bubbles burst the loudest - right when we least expect it.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66741 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 02:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "He's done. "
In response to Reply # 5

He has one more fight to maximize money on his name, that's it/

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Dstl1
Charter member
56225 posts
Mon Jan-25-21 04:29 PM

7. "Helwani: Conor and his team want trilogy fight with Poirier, in May"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-25-21 04:30 PM by Dstl1

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66741 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 11:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "pass"
In response to Reply # 7

maybe in 2027

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Tue Jan-26-21 02:07 PM

9. "I enjoyed watching him get smashed again"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude is Dana White's pet fighter. Ducked Tony Ferguson forever. He's a drunk, punched an old man after throwing a dolly through the window and still gets the royal treatment. This is why Khabib don't even take dude seriously and said "tap machine" don't deserve another shot at him. Keeps "retiring" so he doesn't have to go through the typical UFC gauntlet and fight consistently but then blames inactivity for his ass kicking lol. He chose the inactivity. Did I mention he's a drunk now, trying to compete with elite athletes? The shit was just funny to watch, considering all the BS he's done. Shit's like watching privilege take a loss.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Tiger Woods
18385 posts
Wed Jan-27-21 11:25 AM

10. "you're not wholly inaccurate, but his ascent was electric"
In response to Reply # 9

>Dude is Dana White's pet fighter. Ducked Tony Ferguson
>forever. He's a drunk, punched an old man after throwing a
>dolly through the window and still gets the royal treatment.
>This is why Khabib don't even take dude seriously and said
>"tap machine" don't deserve another shot at him. Keeps
>"retiring" so he doesn't have to go through the typical UFC
>gauntlet and fight consistently but then blames inactivity for
>his ass kicking lol. He chose the inactivity. Did I mention
>he's a drunk now, trying to compete with elite athletes? The
>shit was just funny to watch, considering all the BS he's
>done. Shit's like watching privilege take a loss.

Hard to say he ducked Tony Ferguson...when given the choice to make $100 Ms vs Floyd Mayweather or fight for your life against Tony Ferguson for like $5 M, what's a guy to do?

Who knows if he's a drunk now, but there was certainly a dark period there.

To call him a "pet fighter"...well, maybe? To label him Dana's lapdog is to dismiss what he did on the way up - let's not forget he's got wins over Holloway and Poirier and Aldo and Alvarez.

Dstl1
Charter member
56225 posts
Sun Jul-11-21 03:17 AM

11. "๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘€"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jul-11-21 03:29 AM by Dstl1

https://twitter.com/drew84924861/status/1414084936374669312?s=20

Dustin said he checked a leg kick and thought Conorโ€™s ankle went, then. He also got in some devastating elbows when they were on the ground, that had Conor bleeding from his ear.

Soldado
Member since Apr 13th 2006
572 posts
Sun Jul-11-21 07:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "He said Dustin was gonna leave on a stretcher."
In response to Reply # 11

Well...

---

Tiger Woods
18385 posts
Sun Jul-11-21 08:42 PM

13. "The descent has been sharp "
In response to Reply # 11

He dicked off for years and got rich while everyone else kept evolving and getting even more competitive

The money in McGregor now is in fun fights against other guys he has history with. Heโ€™ll never be a champion again, but thereโ€™s money to be made in an Aldo rematch, Nate Diaz trilogy, or Rafael Dos Anjos fight.

McGregor will serve the same purpose that Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal do - elite draw but not an elite competitor.

Numba_33
Charter member
19324 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 09:54 AM

14. "For the record, I am not a fan of the man"
In response to Reply # 0

and it does appear that he is washed compared to his prime from roughly 3-4 years ago, but it appears Conor is the UFC's biggest star by a wide margin.

If Dana was accurate in his post fight presser in regards to this card grossing over 1 million PPV buys, the only fighters that can garner those numbers on the roster are Jon Jones and Francis Ngannou, and that might be a stretch given how Dana is playing games with both fighters getting fights. As skilled stylistically and media savvy as Stylerbender is, his last fight got around 600k PPV buys.

I have to think Dana is going to milk Conor for as many fights as they can possibly get. For better or for worse, I also have to think Conor is well aware of this. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets more money in his return fight than what Charles Olivera or Dustin Poirier will get if either one of them are champion when Conor returns.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 10:41 AM

15. "RE: For the record, I am not a fan of the man"
In response to Reply # 14

I dont doubt hes' the highest earner of all time -- but that train is coming to a stop. You cant keep earning that way if you lose. I feel like next fight could be a pretty big drop. Now people just dont care. Maybe his post fight rants keeps him relevant in the media, but he's also becoming a clown. Fotting that hes quoting Scarface - because there are many parallels in his rise and fall --and this only ends one way.

>and it does appear that he is washed compared to his prime
>from roughly 3-4 years ago, but it appears Conor is the UFC's
>biggest star by a wide margin.
>
>If Dana was accurate in his post fight presser in regards to
>this card grossing over 1 million PPV buys, the only fighters
>that can garner those numbers on the roster are Jon Jones and
>Francis Ngannou, and that might be a stretch given how Dana is
>playing games with both fighters getting fights. As skilled
>stylistically and media savvy as Stylerbender is, his last
>fight got around 600k PPV buys.
>
>I have to think Dana is going to milk Conor for as many fights
>as they can possibly get. For better or for worse, I also have
>to think Conor is well aware of this. It wouldn't surprise me
>if he gets more money in his return fight than what Charles
>Olivera or Dustin Poirier will get if either one of them are
>champion when Conor returns.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Soldado
572 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 11:33 AM

16. "Jon Jones has only cleared 1 mil PPV buys once (with Cormier)."
In response to Reply # 14
Mon Jul-12-21 11:54 AM by Soldado

The UFC didn't even release (or leak) the last Ngannou PPV rate. And that was his biggest and most hyped fight ever. Safe to assume, the number was underwhelming.

The Usman/Masvidal rematch card, with THREE title fights and the first American card with a full audience in attendance since the pandemic, did 200K LESS than the original Usman/Masvidal card which pulled the main event together in 6 days.

The UFC card previous to this last one, which had the hottest young star in the org (Adesanya), 2 title fights, and the return to the octagon of Nick Diaz, barely did 500K domestic PPV buys.

Then for this last card, Dana said the pre-buys were outpacing any card in UFC history and he was estimating a 2+ mil PPV buy rate. After the event, he had to humbly admit that the event was now looking at something closer to 1.6-1.7 mil. Nothing to sneeze at but far below what they had been anticipating.

UFC PPV buys are tumbling pretty quickly. And, like you said, Conor is far and above any other fighter (or combination of fighters) in terms of stardom and drawing power. So it's easy to see why they keep throwing him into main events and essentially giving him any fight he wants. Dude is gonna be around for a good while and headlining cards regardless of what his actual record is (assuming he still wants to fight).

---

Tiger Woods
18385 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 11:41 AM

17. "it seems inevitable that they lump the PPVs into a premium ESPN+ sub"
In response to Reply # 16
Mon Jul-12-21 11:42 AM by Tiger Woods

if you follow the track of the UFC, it's on the EXACT same expansion trajectory as the WWE at 5x the pace

To his credit, Vince went to a sub model and took the guaranteed paper rather than keep trying to sell pay-per-views

Soldado
572 posts
Thu Jul-15-21 05:36 PM

18. "This is getting pathetic, man."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UA_ZFFQO5o

Dude riding around on an electric wheelchair still making excuses.

---

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2730561 Previous topic | Next topic