Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2728325

Subject: "NBA Design Vision NBA Uniform Redesigns (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Wed Dec-23-20 07:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NBA Design Vision NBA Uniform Redesigns (link)"

https://digitas.design/s-the-nba/index.html

Apparently this design troupe re-designed much of the branding for the 30 teams.

Some of the uniforms are really good. Some of the logos are great.

I really don't want offer any criticism because its apparent these designers put in ALOT of work into these uniforms and logos.

It takes a little bit of time to comb through the different designs (at least two redesigned logos, uniform typography, and four different uniforms per team). But it's worth it if you're in any way a uniform (bl)nerd.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this is dope...question...
Dec 23rd 2020
It's fairly simple.
Dec 23rd 2020
I love jersey/branding redesigns
Dec 23rd 2020
It would be interesting to know the order that the team...
Dec 23rd 2020
I like a few of these
Dec 23rd 2020
The Clippers "City of Champions" jerseys!! LOL
Dec 24th 2020
Lmao, especially when they share an arena with the Lakers
Dec 24th 2020
Yeah that Do The Right Thing joint is fire
Dec 24th 2020
But Spike?
Jan 02nd 2021
True, but it’s the most iconic Brooklyn movie
Jan 02nd 2021
Houston NASA, Memphis Tigers and Nets DTRT were my favorites
Jan 04th 2021
Pretty cool and complete. Initial presentation a little weak but deep
Jan 04th 2021

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Wed Dec-23-20 07:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this is dope...question..."
In response to Reply # 0

besides the obvious work put into actually designing the different unis...how difficult is putting into a format like this (format probably isn't the right word) ...where you smoothly slide the cursor over a given team and it runs through the unis?

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Wed Dec-23-20 08:21 PM

3. "It's fairly simple."
In response to Reply # 1

There are a couple of ways to do it. The web developer could code the page to stack the images of the different uniforms on top of them, but hide all but the first image from view.

Then once a visitor moves their mouse over the first image of the uniform, the page quickly shows and hides each image. Creating the effect that the 'scrolling' effect you mentioned.

The developer could also stack the first image on top of an animated 'gif'. Once the visitor moves the cursor over the uniform, the top 'static' image hides, and the animated gif is shown and creates the 'scrolling' effect.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Wed Dec-23-20 07:47 PM

2. "I love jersey/branding redesigns"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-23-20 07:53 PM by Oak27

Thanks for posting. It does look like they put in more work than usual. I've seen people do a rebrand for a specific team and do all this, but usually for league-wise redesigns it's just a lot and a couple jerseys.

That said, I'm not feeling the majority of these. Most of the ones where there was a noticeable change that I liked were just a modern take on their retro look, which has been done already.

Some of the 3rd and 4th jerseys were downright atrocious (see: Clippers Statement jersey for example).

Rockets was pretty interesting with the NASA tribute, and Denver and Utah seem to always fare well in these redesigns.

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Wed Dec-23-20 08:33 PM

4. "It would be interesting to know the order that the team..."
In response to Reply # 2

It would be interesting to know the order that the design team worked on these uniforms. My sense is that the better designs were done early on in the process when the team was fresh.

The lesser quality uniforms seem like they were the result of running out of ideas and energy.

There were little details and elements that didn't work for me. Like the oversized numbers on the front of the jersey's seemed amateurish. And the choices for the shapes of the numbers seemed odd.

I agree that some were much better than others or that the high-quality logo didn't match the quality of the uniforms and vice versa.

In their defense, they had to come up with, what, 120 different uniforms. Even Nike, people who are getting paid A LOT of money to come up with their unis threw out some real headscratchers.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Dec-23-20 09:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I like a few of these"
In response to Reply # 0

Overall I’m not sure why the designer(s) like blocky letters/numbers, but I like what they did with:

Atlanta
Cleveland
Houston
Minny
Nola
Orlando
Phoenix
Utah

The Nets need to buy this Do The Right Thing idea now.

The Grizzlies one is SO bad. The Clippers is somehow worse than their current set.

blackfoot_female
Member since Jul 15th 2002
967 posts
Thu Dec-24-20 07:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "The Clippers "City of Champions" jerseys!! LOL"
In response to Reply # 5

That has to be trolling....

pretentious username
12493 posts
Thu Dec-24-20 10:17 PM

7. "Lmao, especially when they share an arena with the Lakers"
In response to Reply # 6

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Thu Dec-24-20 11:15 PM

8. "Yeah that Do The Right Thing joint is fire"
In response to Reply # 5

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Sat Jan-02-21 08:43 PM

9. "But Spike?"
In response to Reply # 5

>The Nets need to buy this Do The Right Thing idea now.

Like, I think it's a great idea and I love the jersey.
But it would feel odd knowing Spike is all Knicks.

https://digife.com

pretentious username
12493 posts
Sat Jan-02-21 09:33 PM

10. "True, but it’s the most iconic Brooklyn movie"
In response to Reply # 9

>>The Nets need to buy this Do The Right Thing idea now.
>
>Like, I think it's a great idea and I love the jersey.
>But it would feel odd knowing Spike is all Knicks.

And Dolan is doing everything he can to turn Spike into a Nets fan. Maybe with this they can pull off a coup.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 05:05 PM

12. "Houston NASA, Memphis Tigers and Nets DTRT were my favorites"
In response to Reply # 5

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 05:01 PM

11. "Pretty cool and complete. Initial presentation a little weak but deep"
In response to Reply # 0

Putting the home jersey for every team makes it look too homogeneous and beyond that the home jerseys are the plainest and worst ones generally. A lot of the ones on the main page are blocky as fuck, just bad proportions and look. But then clicking on the links there are some bops in there for sure, and the logo work is sharp.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2728325 Previous topic | Next topic