Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2727719

Subject: "On ESPN right now 30 for 30: Tarahumara " Previous topic | Next topic
allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Tue Dec-15-20 08:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"On ESPN right now 30 for 30: Tarahumara "
Tue Dec-15-20 08:19 PM by allStah

When I was s serious runner, which seems like eons ago , the book on the Tarahumara blew my mind.

A group of indigenous Mexicans who live high up in the mountains, and their way of life is running. They run to deliver mail, to travel,etc, and they are basically the greatest group of ultra distance runners in the world.

Of course their history and story was/is being exploited by Americans, and Nike’s Hurache’s were based on the special shoes that the group makes for themselves, but it is a great story.

Check it out.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Is this the same group
Dec 16th 2020
RE: Is this the same group
Dec 16th 2020
      I think they do eat chia seeds
Dec 17th 2020
      I’m not saying they don’t.
Dec 17th 2020
           Don't have a source off hand
Dec 18th 2020
      I've got family at high altitude
Dec 17th 2020
      They're not "bascially Aztecs"
Dec 17th 2020
           Correct they are not basically Aztec
Dec 17th 2020
shout out to the Nike Terra Humara.
Dec 16th 2020
Spot on.
Dec 16th 2020
      i mean, not only that but it was specifically an ACG...
Dec 16th 2020
           Yeah,man. It’s a good documentary in general.
Dec 16th 2020
more than Kenyans?
Dec 17th 2020
Kenyan and Ethiopians are not ULTRA distance runners
Dec 17th 2020

fif
Member since Feb 23rd 2004
1998 posts
Wed Dec-16-20 05:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Is this the same group"
In response to Reply # 0

That runs all day on a handful of chia seeds and some water? Makes me think of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_running_hypothesis

Will try to check out the 30 30

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Dec-16-20 07:31 PM

3. "RE: Is this the same group"
In response to Reply # 1

Different group. They are basically Aztecs who escaped Spanish rulership in Mexico by fleeing to higher regions. They used long distance walking and running as way of travel, and that morphed into them being super human distance runner. Also, since they lived in a higher altitude, they developed more red blood cells in order to take in enough oxygen to breathe... more red blood cells, the more oxygen one will have....this is why cheating endurance athletes blood dope or take in EPO.

Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

fif
1998 posts
Thu Dec-17-20 02:46 PM

8. "I think they do eat chia seeds"
In response to Reply # 3

https://www.womensrunning.com/health/tarahumara-people-chia-seeds/

"She informed me that they eat little to no meat, and it’s reserved only for special occasions. They drink chia seeds in “chia fresca,” or iskiate, as I remembered from Born to Run, and they add them to corn tortillas that they make fresh and cook over an open fire."

Sounds like they're getting some dough exporting them these days which is, probably, good. Not nike dollars, but dated a few health nut girls who keep them in the kitchen

allStah
9816 posts
Thu Dec-17-20 07:23 PM

12. "I’m not saying they don’t."
In response to Reply # 8
Thu Dec-17-20 07:37 PM by allStah

But your wording was as if they just eat a handful of seeds and drink water. They do consume them. But their diet consists mostly of corn and beans, and they make and drink a lot of corn beer.

fif
1998 posts
Fri Dec-18-20 11:46 AM

14. "Don't have a source off hand"
In response to Reply # 12

But I think I remember reading chia seeds were a sort of survival crop when times were lean. I think they also traditionally ate peyote. Not sure if while running but some people swear LSD helps them run better.

fif
1998 posts
Thu Dec-17-20 02:49 PM

10. "I've got family at high altitude"
In response to Reply # 3

Even after a week of running around in the mountains there had me coming back to sea level feeling performance enhanced as hell. Some indications high altitude is good for aging people in some ways. Which is cool since my parents are at 6k
Hope it mitigates all that cold and snow

Hitokiri
Charter member
22104 posts
Thu Dec-17-20 05:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "They're not "bascially Aztecs""
In response to Reply # 3

They're their own group in the same way that Ojibwe people are not "basically Cherokee"

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

allStah
9816 posts
Thu Dec-17-20 08:02 PM

13. "Correct they are not basically Aztec"
In response to Reply # 11

However, they speak Rarámuri, which is an Uto-Aztecan language.

They actually descend from Mongollon culture, which is a Native American based culture.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Wed Dec-16-20 06:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "shout out to the Nike Terra Humara. "
In response to Reply # 0

you think Nike ever broke any of these indigenous runners off w/ product or money?

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Dec-16-20 07:35 PM

4. "Spot on."
In response to Reply # 2

Now you see where Nike got all those concepts and names from.

And nope I don’t think nike compensated them ....corporate exploitation.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Wed Dec-16-20 10:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "i mean, not only that but it was specifically an ACG..."
In response to Reply # 4

outdoor/trail running shoe.

interesting though i had never heard of the folks who spawned the name.

i'm too fat to be running, but i'll have to check this doc out.

allStah
9816 posts
Wed Dec-16-20 10:29 PM

6. "Yeah,man. It’s a good documentary in general."
In response to Reply # 5

Just the history of it all, and how those natives evolved and live based on their environmental condition.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Dec-17-20 02:26 PM

7. "more than Kenyans?"
In response to Reply # 0

>they are basically the
>greatest group of ultra distance runners in the world.

allStah
9816 posts
Thu Dec-17-20 02:47 PM

9. "Kenyan and Ethiopians are not ULTRA distance runners "
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Dec-17-20 02:51 PM by allStah

They don’t run for HOURS and DAYS.

Eastern Africans are top distance runners, and even though its their main sport. It’s not a way of life for their culture. Eastern African runners get selected or run to feed their families, and they don’t have 80 and 90 year older runners

With the Tarahumara the sport and money came later. It’s their way of life and most of the culture does it. It’s a tradition that has nothing to do with money.

Eastern Africans retire in their 40s, get fat, and raise their families and look after their businesses. They never run again after their prime.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2727719 Previous topic | Next topic