Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2726150

Subject: "Teams that you hate, but because they underachieve " Previous topic | Next topic
Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Mon Nov-23-20 10:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Teams that you hate, but because they underachieve "
Mon Nov-23-20 10:43 PM by Tiger Woods

Watching this clumsy Buccaneers team AGAIN play poorly in prime time. I watched the Bears game where they got their asses kicked and watched them eke out a win vs the Giants too. I’ve made my mind up that I hate this team, but not any one player just the whole team ... I hate them just because they’re so much worse than they should be and they play the wrong way (penalties, turnovers, missed assignments, dropped passes)

So now I’m sitting here thinking of other teams who I hated just because I was so annoyed at how underwhelming they were. Two big ones for me were last year’s Browns team, who never even got close to “good” much less the “great” we were promised, and the Lob City Clippers , who played like they hated basketball as much as they hated each other.

Keep em comin...teams you hated because their output was just so much lesser than their potential

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
UF under Mike White, Indiana under Archie, Texas under Shaka.
Nov 24th 2020
Oh this is the Maryland fan experience
Nov 24th 2020
I imagine this is how a lot of people feel watching Maryland nowadays...
Nov 24th 2020
all facts re: UF under Mike White:
Nov 24th 2020
      Mike White nearly coaching UF to defeat against *Army* today, lol.
Dec 02nd 2020
           Yeah...
Dec 02nd 2020
The Minnesota Vikings
Nov 24th 2020
I live in Atlanta...
Nov 24th 2020
low key I'm still pissed at the 2011 Lakers getting swept by that wack.....
Nov 24th 2020
That's a good example because they had the talent to be better
Nov 25th 2020
If the Mavs lose any other series, I'd agree.
Dec 02nd 2020
      RE: If the Mavs lose any other series, I'd agree.
Dec 02nd 2020
Braves and Falcons of course
Nov 24th 2020
Chargers, Cal and Clippers
Nov 24th 2020
PITT football and Jamie Dixon PITT basketball
Nov 24th 2020
That 2011 Butler-Pitt game is a huge what if.
Nov 24th 2020
RE: Teams that you hate, but because they underachieve
Nov 25th 2020
18-19 celtics
Nov 25th 2020
Packers....
Nov 25th 2020
I laugh at them a lot, but it's the Clippers.
Dec 02nd 2020
I love the clippers, precisely because they underachieve.
Dec 02nd 2020

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 12:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "UF under Mike White, Indiana under Archie, Texas under Shaka."
In response to Reply # 0

And I tell you what, if Bobby Hurley fucks up with this Arizona State squad this year, he might join the list.

But I don’t know that I’ve ever hated a team like UF the last two years. Top ten talent last year, and White absolutely shit the bed coaching in an epic and infuriating manner.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 10:41 AM

3. "Oh this is the Maryland fan experience "
In response to Reply # 1

Gary: great coach who hated recruiting

Turgenev: bad coach who recruits well

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 08:13 PM

9. "I imagine this is how a lot of people feel watching Maryland nowadays..."
In response to Reply # 3

... but since I still remember the "fuck you JJ" days, I confess that I don't hate watching them flounder under bad coaching quite as much as the others, lol.

They are still really hard to watch tho. And Turgeon's gonna ride that "we were gonna be a 3 seed and were gonna make a run" claim for another half decade.

dillinjah
Charter member
9027 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 01:47 PM

6. "all facts re: UF under Mike White:"
In response to Reply # 1

>But I don’t know that I’ve ever hated a team like UF the
>last two years. Top ten talent last year, and White absolutely
>shit the bed coaching in an epic and infuriating manner.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Dec-02-20 04:41 PM

16. "Mike White nearly coaching UF to defeat against *Army* today, lol."
In response to Reply # 6

He’s so so bad.

dillinjah
Charter member
9027 posts
Wed Dec-02-20 04:43 PM

17. "Yeah..."
In response to Reply # 16

Mack
Charter member
7372 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 10:12 AM

2. "The Minnesota Vikings"
In response to Reply # 0

get my hopes up all the time, then shit the bed...every...single...time. Ugh.

oh, and Michigan football.

And yes, these are my favorite teams.

"Dressed up like an evil villain dressed up like a soccer dad"

CIPHA
Charter member
1010 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 10:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I live in Atlanta..."
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

Let me guess, I can have "good day" now, right?

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 11:24 AM

5. "low key I'm still pissed at the 2011 Lakers getting swept by that wack....."
In response to Reply # 0

ass Mavericks team, should've been 6 for Kobe and 12 for Phil

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Wed Nov-25-20 01:50 AM

12. "That's a good example because they had the talent to be better"
In response to Reply # 5

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43739 posts
Wed Dec-02-20 04:55 PM

18. "If the Mavs lose any other series, I'd agree."
In response to Reply # 5

But clearly, they were on a warpath that year. That 1st round Portland series was competitive, then they swept the Lakers (and obviously, the Lakers were heavily favored but should have NEVER been swept), then the baby Thunder, then the Heatles. The Lakers were not going to beat the Thunder AND the Heat that year. Just couldn't happen.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Dec-02-20 06:07 PM

21. "RE: If the Mavs lose any other series, I'd agree."
In response to Reply # 18

>But clearly, they were on a warpath that year. That 1st round
>Portland series was competitive, then they swept the Lakers
>(and obviously, the Lakers were heavily favored but should
>have NEVER been swept), then the baby Thunder, then the
>Heatles. The Lakers were not going to beat the Thunder AND the
>Heat that year. Just couldn't happen.

who knows, I think that was the same year everyone picked the Hornets to upset us in the 1st round, we had beaten the baby Thunder the year before, if Bron nutted up vs Dirk does he do the same with Kobe?

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 02:52 PM

7. "Braves and Falcons of course"
In response to Reply # 0

Duke's 02 squad should have repeated. 2019 should have won the chip. Maybe 2013 too....but those 02 and 19 squads stick out

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 03:59 PM

8. "Chargers, Cal and Clippers"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 09:55 PM

10. "PITT football and Jamie Dixon PITT basketball"
In response to Reply # 0

With the talent they churn out they should be a 9 or 10 win team most years. They always lose 2 or 3 games they should’ve won. Every year.

Those Jamie Dixon PITT basketball teams were built to win the Big East and nothing else.

I know the Steelers have 6 SB’s but it should be about 10. Cowher lost 3 home afc championship games when we were clearly the better team on paper. D would dominate all season and then have brain farts in home championship games.

The Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla Pirate teams. Gotdamn Braves... that shit hurt. I screamed out my window in college when they lost Game 7.

Pens are frustrating but who cares, it’s hockey.

——

I live in Charlotte now so I guess I’m a Hornets fan since Pittsburgh doesn’t have an NBA team. Have no idea what Jordan is doing. It’s the East do they should be able to fall into the 8 seed more often.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Nov-24-20 10:09 PM

11. "That 2011 Butler-Pitt game is a huge what if."
In response to Reply # 10

Because if Pitt can pull off that win, they are likely headed all the way to the championship-- where they honestly match up against UConn better than Butler did. But even if they lost that game, if Butler doesn't win in the luckiest way against Pitt in 2011, it begs the question: what's Dixon's rep today? Is he still at Pitt today? etc.

Plenty of what ifs in every program's history... but that game both sent Pitt into eternal "not gonna get back" mode and sent Brad Stevens directly to the NBA.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Wed Nov-25-20 02:14 AM

13. "RE: Teams that you hate, but because they underachieve "
In response to Reply # 0

There's 2011-12 Lakers. (the Nash/Dwight/Kobe/Mike Brown/D'Antoni moving trainwreck) And the 2003-04 Lakers team that was the last stand by Kobe and Shaq accompanied by Karl Malone and GP.

And the '00 Rams. Had the greatest offense of all time, until that point, but turned the ball over ALOT and had a horrible defense. Finished 8-8 and wasted great years by Warner (threw for 3500 yards in 11 games), Faulk, Bruce, and Holt.

The 2011 Eagles. The 'Dream Team'. They brought in a ton of talent during free agency, only to go like 8-8. It was the year after Vick broke through and finished 2nd in the MVP vote.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26424 posts
Wed Nov-25-20 09:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "18-19 celtics"
In response to Reply # 0

hayward getting such a long leash to come back from injury, kyrie just getting more and more disenchanted. not fun to watch, even as the Js were balling.

-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Wed Nov-25-20 09:45 AM

15. "Packers...."
In response to Reply # 0

You could make the same case for the Steelers but for the Packers it's even worse.

Rodgers and Ben haven't been to a Super Bowl since they played in Super Bowl 45 TEN YEARS AGO.

That's inexcusable.

Especially for Green Bay. The NFC isn't even that good. Rodgers should have AT LEAST been to another Super Bowl by now.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43739 posts
Wed Dec-02-20 04:56 PM

19. "I laugh at them a lot, but it's the Clippers."
In response to Reply # 0

They should have had at the LEAST a finals appearance by now.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Wed Dec-02-20 05:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "I love the clippers, precisely because they underachieve. "
In response to Reply # 0

The Lakers have had a dynasty, went through a rebuild, came back with three straight Finals trips, had another long rebuild process, and have won another title.

The Clippers had multiple rebuilds, with superior teams during the Lakers lottery years, and couldn't make it past the second round.

Then, they played a chess game with Kawhi that made us wait until any remotely comparable free agent was scooped up before pulling off a masterstroke of a rebuild in one fell swoop.

They topped most people's list as title favorites and then, once again, shit the bed in round two, while we won yet another chip.

It sucks to see them be competitive while the Lakers were in the league cellar- but it was sweet as fuck to watch them continue to hit that second round ceiling, over and over and over again.

It was even sweeter to watch them hit that ceiling in the same season we won a chip. I fucking love their mastery of mediocrity.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2726150 Previous topic | Next topic