Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2724913

Subject: "An Ideal to an Eventuality: NBA Is Back December 22nd" Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 01:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"An Ideal to an Eventuality: NBA Is Back December 22nd"

A) No bubble(s), but likely MLB-like series. Even a year ago I could have thought up reasons for why series seem unnecessary, but I'd tell then-me that's all nostalgia talking. Series sound awesome for basketball; more importantly, they sound healthy for human life right now.

B) Some fans are going to be allowed in some capacity. I'm editorializing here, but someone is going to get sick, and the NBA will likely lose a lot of the "common sense" image it earned this past summer.

C) If anyone was handwringing about their enjoyment of the bubble NBA despite their awareness of the economic disparity that allowed the bubble to happen, this should all sound like a horrible idea.

D) I agree with those that argue the bubble title comes with no asterisk, that environment had to be (relatively) difficult - but what if we get something truly weird like a Blazers/Pacers Final due to a mix of rust, fatigue and familiarity?

E) When LeBron sits out most games until, say, MLK Day, who gets to be mad about that?

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
if someone wants the current state of info
Nov 06th 2020
RE: if someone wants the current state of info
Nov 06th 2020
so our repeat run starts on MLK day. got it.
Nov 06th 2020
I'm still saying fans in the stands is a pipe dream
Nov 06th 2020
So the NBA goes from being very bright to being very unintelligent?
Nov 06th 2020
This feels stupid. And I get they were going to lost a LOT of money
Nov 06th 2020
league rolling out plans for fans to return (shams)
Nov 11th 2020

Rjcc
Charter member
94951 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 06:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "if someone wants the current state of info"
In response to Reply # 0

shams
https://theathletic.com/2182573/2020/11/06/nba-start-date-tentatively-set-details-from-nbpas-call-with-players/

woj
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30264861/nbpa-reps-approve-dec-22-start-date-72-game-regular-season

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 08:10 AM

2. "RE: if someone wants the current state of info"
In response to Reply # 1

Starting the season a months after the draft and free agency without a good window for a “summer league” or training camp seems risky, but hey it’s all risky at this point .

At this rate Olympics ‘21 may not really happen either despite what Japan is saying.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85051 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 09:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "so our repeat run starts on MLK day. got it."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44709 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 11:34 AM

4. "I'm still saying fans in the stands is a pipe dream"
In response to Reply # 0

Lost in all the election coverage is that the U.S. is consistently hitting 100,000 new cases a day. And that's before it's actually flu season. Any owmner or league thinking that letting in thousands of fans in closed arenas in going to fly in most of these states is fooling themselves.

Said in the other post, it might happen in places like Florida, but Wisconsin, Minnesota, Chicago, and anywhere on the West Coast and Northeast? Nah, man.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 12:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "So the NBA goes from being very bright to being very unintelligent? "
In response to Reply # 0

They want to commence the season at the start of winter, right in the middle of cold and flu season, and they want to do it without a bubble?

Not bright all.

We all know what the NBA looks like without a bubble during the pandemic. The NBA had to immediately shut down this past spring, and quarantine two teams because several players contracted Covid. And they want to let fans in on top of that?

Basketball is the most intimate team sport, where players are sweating and breathing on each other. Plus they play games every other day or back to back. What are they going to do it an entire roster comes down with Covid?

Football plays every week and have huge rosters, so games can be postponed for two weeks, and players can easily replace infected players. Same thing with baseball teams and their deep rosters.

The right thing to do is to wait until the spring. Go with a spring schedule until it is 100 percent safe to return to a normal schedule.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43735 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 01:08 PM

6. "This feels stupid. And I get they were going to lost a LOT of money"
In response to Reply # 0

But still.

Seems dangerous.

I get it, and as a fan I'd be happy to have it back in 2 months but...yikes.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85051 posts
Wed Nov-11-20 04:33 PM

7. "league rolling out plans for fans to return (shams)"
In response to Reply # 0

The NBA has sent its 30 teams a memo with protocols for eligible markets to host fans, requiring people within 30 feet of court to register negative coronavirus test two days prior to game or rapid test on day of game, sources tell
@TheAthleticNBA

All fans are required to wear masks (above age of 2), socially distance, undergo symptom surveys. Food and beverage are not allowed for those within 30 feet of court. Teams would have option to install a plexiglass behind benches.

For arena suites at 25% capacity or less, testing would not be required for fans. Teams would be permitted for 50% if all fans were tested or if local county's positivity rate is three percent or below and seven-day average of new cases per 100K residents is 10 or fewer.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2724913 Previous topic | Next topic