Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2724742

Subject: "Tank puts another one to sleep " Previous topic | Next topic
Beezo
Charter member
27560 posts
Sat Oct-31-20 11:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Tank puts another one to sleep "

Boy hits like a fuckin truck.
Who’s next?

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Anyone with boxing sense knew this would happen.
Nov 01st 2020
Berchelt is one of my favorites over the past few years
Nov 01st 2020
      Just found out dude tested positive for corona
Nov 04th 2020
there's no amount of money worth getting punched like that
Nov 01st 2020
time to start putting him in with the big boys.
Nov 01st 2020
https://twitter.com/showtimeboxing/status/1322781885316190208?s=21
Nov 01st 2020
that boy got logged out
Nov 01st 2020
No more 130 fights. There is nothing there.
Nov 01st 2020
Berchelt
Nov 01st 2020
Gary Russell Jr and Shakur Stevenson would both fight Tank
Nov 02nd 2020
      Been hearing for maybe 2 years now that Stevenson vs Davis
Nov 03rd 2020
           RE: Been hearing for maybe 2 years now that Stevenson vs Davis
Nov 04th 2020
This was the Mikey vs Spence play again.
Nov 02nd 2020
Just for shits and giggles, let me add this....
Nov 02nd 2020
But Floyd didn’t do the same thing.
Nov 03rd 2020
      Talking about his PPV profile.
Nov 04th 2020

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14018 posts
Sun Nov-01-20 04:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Anyone with boxing sense knew this would happen."
In response to Reply # 0

And I really don't say that to be condescending. This was a set up.

Santa Cruz was moving up in weight for this fight and wasn't even a big puncher in lower weight classes. He also is a volume puncher who comes straight at his opponents. Tank was moving down in weight and IS a big puncher. Santa Cruz literally said he was "hoping" he could take Tank's punches: https://www.boxingscene.com/santa-cruz-ive-sparring-with-bigger-guys-hopefully-i-take-tanks-punches--152671

The fact that they actually had people falling for this is a credit to their marketing skill I guess. It was inevitable. I'll elaborate:

Floyd and Ellerbe have moved Tank selectively to "build a star" instead of having him face real challenges. Lomachenko called Tank out incessantly a couple of years ago when they were in the same weight class. Floyd kept saying Tank wasn't in a rush to fight him, and Ellerbe said they're not interested in being the best... only interested in building the biggest star. Berchelt is avoided at 130. Tank won't fight him. If Ryan Garcia looks too good in his next fight, Tank wont' fight him either. Garcia is now trained by Eddy Reynoso (Canelo's trainer). Haney is also close to Floyd, so probably won't see that either. Tank *might* fight Teofimo Lopez if Floyd sees weakness in him. Floyd did SAY he wants Tank to have one more fight and then fight Lopez. However, I think he said that b/c he knows Lopez is gonna move up to 140 b/c he already said in 2019 that he'd move up by May of 2020 if Loma didn't fight him. Listen to Floyd and Ellerbe and you'll see that they won't put Tank in with someone who really going to challenge him.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Sun Nov-01-20 12:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Berchelt is one of my favorites over the past few years"
In response to Reply # 1

really a shame no one wants to fight him

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Nov-04-20 02:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "Just found out dude tested positive for corona"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Nov-04-20 02:13 PM by Boogie Stimuli

So his Dec. fight against Oscar Valdez is cancelled. Hope it's asymptomatic.

Shakur Stevenson has offered to step in and fight Valdez.

https://twitter.com/ShakurStevenson/status/1324061259906560007
"Yo @oscarvaldez56 I can step in for Berchelt Dec 12th but idk if u would want to do that"

~
~
~
~
~

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun Nov-01-20 07:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "there's no amount of money worth getting punched like that"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't care what they put on the table, I am not getting in that ring, fuck that

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sun Nov-01-20 07:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "time to start putting him in with the big boys."
In response to Reply # 0

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Sun Nov-01-20 08:32 AM

4. "https://twitter.com/showtimeboxing/status/1322781885316190208?s=21"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/showtimeboxing/status/1322781885316190208?s=21

Folded

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun Nov-01-20 09:05 AM

6. "that boy got logged out"
In response to Reply # 4

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Sun Nov-01-20 08:43 AM

5. "No more 130 fights. There is nothing there."
In response to Reply # 0

So either he fights Haney or Lomenchenko at 135,
where he has the WBA light champion belt. Or he moves
his ass up to 140 and fight El Azteca or Lopez.

It’s that simple. And He really should be at 140 at this point. Floyd made the jump to 140 at the age of 27. Tank is 25. So fight either Haney or Lomo, and then move up. Or move your ass up now.

20 something fights in and he is still focking around with these weak fighters.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Sun Nov-01-20 12:26 PM

8. "Berchelt"
In response to Reply # 5

--

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Mon Nov-02-20 08:00 AM

9. "Gary Russell Jr and Shakur Stevenson would both fight Tank"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Nov-02-20 08:00 AM by Boogie Stimuli

Tank's handlers aren't interested in either for 2 reasons.
They could very well beat Tank and they don't bring a huge fanbase on the level of a beloved Mexican fighter like Leo Santa Cruz.

I'll elaborate on this below with links.

~
~
~
~
~

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Tue Nov-03-20 10:08 AM

12. "Been hearing for maybe 2 years now that Stevenson vs Davis"
In response to Reply # 9

is the long game. They want that fight when Shak is 26-27.
How you think it would shake out if they fought today?

--

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Nov-04-20 02:05 PM

15. "RE: Been hearing for maybe 2 years now that Stevenson vs Davis"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Nov-04-20 02:08 PM by Boogie Stimuli

>is the long game. They want that fight when Shak is 26-27.
>How you think it would shake out if they fought today?

That one's hard to call. Decision favors Shakur but stoppage favors Tank, of course.
When Floyd and Ellerbe say Tank has skills that he hasn't had to show, they're telling the truth there. A good example is the Jesus Cuellar fight. Tank looked the sharpest I've ever seen him in that fight, but the opponent was low level. Tank's power would keep Shakur honest, but Shakur is a really safe fighter, probably owing to him being mentored by Andre Ward. Ward is BIG on not taking punishment (but so is Floyd). He also spars with Terence Crawford. Dude has an all-star big brother team. Stevenson would also have a height advantage even though he's slightly smaller, and he's great at fighting at distance. This is a far cry of Leo Santa Cruz lol.
Tank would have to create a fight in the pocket (probably Stevenson's weakest spot currently). I just don't think Stevenson would give him many openings with them both being southpaws. Tank would have to be able to walk through Shakur's punches or completely slip his offense, which would be hard with Shakur being so accurate and rarely getting hit.
In the end, if Tank isn't able to stop Shakur, I see fatigue working in Shakur's favor because it takes a lot of energy to jump in and out of the pocket, and Shakur can fight at distance all night. He does it routinely. Who knows though, Tank's pressure could tire him out. A lot of variables with two guys this talented.
No mattter how it went, it would bring out the best in both of them.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Mon Nov-02-20 08:12 AM

10. "This was the Mikey vs Spence play again."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm gonna try to break this down as best I can with proof, because I've been following this story for years.

They use the Mexican fanbase to build their Black fighters. Floyd did the same. But first...

Here Leonard Ellerbe is, telling his and Floyd's objective with Tank:
Start at 3:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGynfZVYghY#t=3m59s

Gary Russell Jr called Tank out well over a year ago and just called him out again after the Leo fight. Leo Santa Cruz was in the same weight class as Gary for YEARS and never would fight him. Gary has had meetings with DAZN and everything in his frustration. This guy was FED UP. He even went to the lengths of running up on Santa Cruz's father in an attempt to provoke Santa Cruz.

Here's the old call out from May of LAST year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMsFM9yedZc

Here's one from February of this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4afNzLyJMA
^You'll notice in that one that a reporter tells Gary that he spoke with Tank's trainer who said they won't fight Gary because "he doesn't bring any money."

Here's the one he just made after the Leo fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20YjPEzYzcw

Here's Gary running up on Leo's dad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUynPLYXHA

So repeat the same setup PBC used for the Mikey vs Spence fight.
They'll say "Oh Mikey called him out, so it's not a big guy picking on a little guy."
The difference there was Spence couldn't deliver a KO.

But the story was similar. "Wow! Nobody dominates Mikey like that! Amazing!" Of course that would happen in his very first fight at Welterweight against a big Welterweight. Who jumps up in weight to face a weight-drained champion without an acclimation fight? Roberto fucking Duran didn't even do that.

Now it's the same with Leo. "Wow! Leo's never been stopped! Amazing!" He's also never fought a guy at 130 who's so big that he struggles to even make the weight class above 130 AND is a big puncher. I said as soon as the fight was made that Leo would get KO'd. Kinda feel like I'm in bizarro world with people taking this fight seriously lol.

I think the fact that they've done this twice now is starting to prove that this is just a narrative they create to "build a star" as Ellerbe says.

And I won't even post the litany of clips where Floyd, Ellerbe, and Tank say it's on their time about fighting Lomachenko when Loma called Tank out (you can find them on Youtube and Twitter). They wanted no parts of Loma, and that will forever taint Tank's legacy in the eyes of boxing fans who followed all that.

So anyway, to put in all in perspective, PBC is trying to "build a star" with Tank. They saved Leo for him by not urging Leo to fight Russell jr. They did this because he brings the big Mexican fanbase for PPV. This is the same formula Floyd used (Tank even wore the same walk-out clothes Floyd wore against De La Hoya, big red green and white sombrero and jacket). Russell Jr got screwed. He been wanting to fight both those guys. I used to wanna ride with PBC, but for as well as they take care of their fighters, there's a lot of messed up stuff going on over there too.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Mon Nov-02-20 08:52 AM

11. "Just for shits and giggles, let me add this...."
In response to Reply # 10

The funny thing is both Mikey and Leo had unification bouts right there in their own weight classes. Mikey had Lomachenko at 135 and Leo had Russell Jr at 126. Leo and Gary were BOTH AT PBC, so that kills this notion that fighters need to go to PBC if they want those fights. That guarantees nothing. Foks gotta stop coming for Bud Crawford. Especially when Wilder fought Fury twice and still have a 3rd fight in their contract.

~
~
~
~
~

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Tue Nov-03-20 02:48 PM

13. "But Floyd didn’t do the same thing."
In response to Reply # 10

His 24th fight he fought Emanuel Augustus. No big fan base. And he wasn’t mexican.
After that Corrales. Chico was known but no big fan base. Plus he wasn’t mexican.

He did fight Castillo after that, and then he fought Ndyou ( African), Decorley, and Mitchell at WW....then Judah at WW.

He didn’t really start focusing on Mexicans with big fan bases or big money situations until after the Oscar fighter, which made him the new golden goose.

Mayweather really fucked Up fights with all that bullshit politicking, and the fans didn’t get to see those prime fights at the height or their anticipation.

I really hate that he is in the promotion business. We all know how it is going to go.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Nov-04-20 01:40 PM

14. "Talking about his PPV profile."
In response to Reply # 13

Perhaps I should've said he raised his profile .
Once he broke the PPV record with De La Hoya (25M) after a couple of moderately successful PPV's with non-Mexican fighters (under 400k), he knew the formula.
I mean, consider that Shane Mosley is a first ballot hall of famer. Floyd's PPV with him only slightly outsold the one with Victor Ortiz lol (1.4M and 1.2M). That says alot imo. I can totally see Floyd telling Tank "Why waste your time with... black fighters... or Ukranian fighters... who pose a threat... when you can fight... Mexican fighters... from lower weight classes... and make the same money?" lol.

>Mayweather really fucked Up fights with all that bullshit
>politicking, and the fans didn’t get to see those prime
>fights at the height or their anticipation.
>
>I really hate that he is in the promotion business. We all
>know how it is going to go.

I agree with this completely. I think people should think more about why Floyd never became undisputed in any weight class.

~
~
~
~
~

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2724742 Previous topic | Next topic