Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2723876

Subject: "Doc Emrick retiring today (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
dagu
Member since Nov 25th 2005
1646 posts
Mon Oct-19-20 11:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Doc Emrick retiring today (swipe)"

I don't watch a ton of hockey but I'm always disappointed when I see a game on NBC and he isn't in the booth. My favorite play-by-play guy in sports.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30146520/mike-doc-emrick-retiring-hockey-play-play-broadcaster

--------------------------------

Mike 'Doc' Emrick retiring as hockey play-by-play broadcaster
7:03 AM CT

Longtime NHL announcer Mike "Doc" Emrick is retiring as a broadcaster Monday.

"I hope I can handle retirement OK, especially since I've never done it before," Emrick told the New York Post. "But I've just been extremely lucky for 50 years. And NBC has been so good to me, especially since the pandemic, when I was allowed to work from home in a studio NBC created.

"Now, into my golden years, this just seemed to be the time that was right."

Affectionately known as "Doc" for his doctorate in communications, Emrick, 74, has been the preeminent voice for NHL games on NBC and NBC Sports for 15 years. He served as the play-by-play announcer for the New Jersey Devils for 21 seasons.

Emrick's résumé includes calling 22 Stanley Cup Finals and winning eight Sports Emmy Awards for play-by-play, including seven straight from 2014 to 2020. He had stints at ESPN and ABC as well as Fox and CBS and at six Olympic Winter Games.

In 2008, Emrick was inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame, which awarded him the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award for outstanding contributions to hockey broadcasting.

Emrick has spent the past four decades as a beloved part of the hockey community -- a rapid-fire storyteller known to the public for his countless verbs to describe the puck moving around a rink and to friends and colleagues for his warmth and personal attention to the sport and the people in it.

"When you have a job like that, you're never working the rest of your life," Emrick said last year, pausing to explain why he takes time to talk to anyone who approaches him for a conversation, photo or autograph. "I always do because I'll miss it when it doesn't happen."

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Emrick "didn't just master" announcing hockey, "he transformed it into art."

"The risk one takes in saying something about Doc Emrick is that you know he could have worded it better himself -- on the spur of the moment, with 20,000 screaming in his ears (or up to 105,000 in the rain, snow and/or bitter cold), to a national broadcast audience relying on him to get it just right," Bettman said in a statement. "In the 103-year history of the National Hockey League, nobody has ever conveyed the sights, sounds, passion, excitement, thrills and intricacies of our game better.

"... The game, of course, goes on. But it never again will sound quite the same."

NBC Sports executive producer Sam Flood called Emrick "a national treasure."

"It has been a privilege and education on hockey's biggest stage to have sat next to Doc for the last 14 years," NBC color analyst Ed Olczyk said. "I will miss his stories, his preparation, his play-by-play, his friendship and our dinners on the road."

Emrick got his first taste of hockey in Pittsburgh during the 1970-71 season as a freelance reporter for the Beaver County Times. He earned a Ph.D. in broadcast communications from Bowling Green a few years later and progressed through the minors before reaching the NHL.

After calling an estimated 3,750 games during his career, Emrick will continue to write and narrate video essays as part of NBC Sports' NHL coverage.

"Things change over 50 years, but much of what I love is unchanged from then to now and into the years ahead," Emrick said in a statement. "I still get chills seeing the Stanley Cup. I especially love when the horn sounds, and one team has won and another team hasn't, all hostility can dissolve into the timeless great display of sportsmanship -- the handshake line. I leave you with sincere thanks."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

---------------------

http://www.last.fm/user/dagu85

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
respect to an all time great
Oct 19th 2020

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Mon Oct-19-20 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "respect to an all time great"
In response to Reply # 0

although I do look forward to a little more announcer variety. I like NBC's other hockey announcing teams.

https://i.imgur.com/ZkkZekl.gif

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2723876 Previous topic | Next topic