1. "Yes - but doesn't matter. Lakers beat the teams that beat the teams" In response to Reply # 0
who were supposed to win the crown - thus the Lakers have just won a legitimate lineal "the team who beat the team" title.
(1) Nuggets beat the Clippers - who were supposed to be the "dogs" of the league and title favorites. Lakers stomped out the Nuggets in 5 - thus beating the "man who beat the man" - and in this instance, the alleged king of the court (Kawhi).
(2) Heat dispatched the #1 (league-wide) seed Bucks, thus becoming the "man who beat the man." Lakers ousted them in 6.
By proxy - the Lakers beat the teams who beat the teams (favorites).
2. "Well yeah, that's true of every playoff/tournament" In response to Reply # 1 Mon Oct-12-20 03:27 PM by Oak27
You either beat the team or you beat the team that beat the team or you beat the team that beat the team that beat the team or you beat the team that beat the team that beat the team that beat the team
But they don't know that we know they know we know
3. "The term originates in boxing" In response to Reply # 2 Mon Oct-12-20 03:38 PM by Vex_id
where you have title fights all the time that don't actually feature the *lineal* champ.
But yes - in most tournament formats you eventually wind up with the "team who beat the team who beat the team" etc...
But both the Nuggets and the Heat earned their respective advancements by beating the perceived juggernauts in their respective divisions - so it's a stretch to say that they wouldn't have performed just as well if the conferences were flipped.
You don't beat the Bucks and Clippers in a best-of-7 series unless you're for real.
They are better 3 point shooting team and have better defense. Their small ball is better.
Clippers. Bubble clippers? Yes. Pre-bubble clippers? Don’t know. But clippers lack discipline, but I don’t think butler goes off against George and Kawhi like that. And the clippers permitter defense is their bread and butter. Their interior defense sucks.
They would get smoked against Dallas with Porzingis though. Clippers would have been out on their asses had Porzingis not been injured.