Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2722296

Subject: "My high school basketball coach died of Covid this past week. " Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 01:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My high school basketball coach died of Covid this past week. "

He was a baby Bob Cousy, an absolute G who worked us like dogs, but always showed us love. Even when we arranged memorial games for one of my close friends who died my senior year in high school, he came back and attended the game. I am putting his obit in here because he was a real sports star and a legend in Connecticut...his first big star player was Rocket Rod Foster, who was the point guard for UCLA's Final four team coached by Larry Brown. He went on to develop at least a dozen other all state players, including my classmate who ended up playing D-1. He was our gym teacher and ofttimes a counselor for those of us who needed it, and for a few, a Father. RIP Coach.

Dominic "Dom" Ferrara, star athlete and legendary Hall of Fame High School Coach, passed peacefully in his sleep during the early hours of August 27, 2020, of Covid 19, at the age of 80, in Tucson, AZ. Born in New Haven, CT, to Elvira "Vera" and John M. Ferrara, March 21, 1940, he was preceded in death by his parents and his son, John Charles Ferrara.
Dom will be immensely missed by his loving wife, Maryann; his beloved daughter Kimberly (Billy Quealy); his daughter-in-law Noelle (Alan Bisson), and his pride and joy; his grandchildren, Jason (Whitney) Quealy, Garrett (Kara) Quealy, Kayla and Andrew Quealy; Lisa (Jay) Ferrara, Heather and John Dominic Ferrara, as well as his great-grandchildren; John Jay Ferrara, Makenna and Dakota Quealy, Jude Charles Foster, and Aurora Quealy. Dom is also survived by his loving sisters, Elizabeth "Betty" Ferrara, Camille (Bill) Tolento, and Patricia (Bob Diglio) Ferrara; his nieces Dawn Diglio, Kelsie Cunha, Maria (Chris) Noonan and sons Chandler and Mason; his sister and brother-in-law Kathy and the Reverend Dick Oberg and their children Eric (Tony) and Peter Oberg, Kerstin (Tony) Guarnaccia; a special cousin Joe (Dan) Finoia; his "nephews" Scott (Jenna) and John (Carlie) Gianninoto, God children Nicole Wight Kershaw, John "JJ" Sayers, along with other cousins, as well as many dear friends from the East to West coast, from Skyline Country Club in Tucson, AZ, and the many players, coaches, and referees whose lives were touched by Coach Dom. Maryann wishes to especially acknowledge and lovingly thank Tom and Lynn Gianninoto, of Tucson, for their loving support, friendship, and care at this most difficult time. They are our Tucson Family!
The Pride of New Haven, CT, Dom's superior athletic abilities were honed in the playgrounds and parks of his birth city, especially excelling in baseball and basketball. While at Wilbur Cross High School Dom pitched a no hitter against the Yale University freshman team, as well as a no hitter while playing in the Babe Ruth league. But it was his excellence in basketball under Coach Sal "Red " Verderame, that Dom became known as the "Little General." As point guard, he brought Wilbur Cross to league and state championships and was named MVP. Dom was also named to the Class A First Team All-State. He always felt his greatest accomplishment as a player was directing Cross to an undefeated season, culminating in defeating Sommerville, MA, at the Boston Garden, to win the New England Championship in 1958. The City of New Haven, along with many other accolades, gave a Victory Parade through the streets of downtown with hundreds of family, friends, fans, and well-wishers in attendance.

After graduation from Wilbur Cross High School, Dom attended Allan Hancock College in Santa Maria, CA. He transferred to the University of Bridgeport, CT, continued to play basketball for the Purple Knights, and graduated with a BS degree. Dom received his Masters degree from Central CT State University. Dom began his teaching career in Ridgefield, CT.

Dom's love and expertise for basketball naturally brought him to coaching. In 1966, Dom was named Athletic Director and head varsity baseball and basketball coach at St. Thomas Aquinas High Scholl, New Britain, CT. During his 6 year tenure, he twice led the basketball team to the State Championship Finals, putting Aquinas and the "Kelsey Street Coliseum" on the map as a basketball powerhouse for years to come. Dom also coached the New Britain Nets of the New England Basketball Association semi-pro team. After Aquinas, he coached at New Britain's Pulaski High School for 6 more years and led the Generals to a State Championship Final game as well. Dom was the first high school coach in CT to bring two different teams to the State Championship finals. Well known for his team's defenses, and as a program builder, Dom was recruited to Windsor, CT, where he coached for 11 years. He succeeded in taking that team to it's first conference title in 34 years, filling the gym many, many times to capacity with fans, once again building a program which allowed for great continued success on the state level. Dom continued teaching, took some time off from coaching, and then resumed coaching at Wolcott High School, then as a volunteer assistant/consultant to Stan Glowiak at New Britain High School, and then finally with Herb Kenney at Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, for 4 more years.

Dom has received great recognition over the years. He felt particularly honored to be a member of the CT. High School Coaches Hall of Fame (CHSCA). In addition, Dom is a member of the New Britain Sport Hall of Fame, the Wilbur Cross High School Hall of Fame, the New England Sports Hall of Fame and the New Haven Tap-Off Club Hall of Fame.

After retirement, Dom and Maryann traveled extensively all over the USA, going cross country 11 times, as well as Europe, the Baltic, and St. Petersburg - Italy being Dom's favorite. Memories of attending the college basketball Final Fours, the XXI Super Bowl in Pasadena to watch his beloved Giants win, were among his favorites, along with a Cattle Drive in WY, and swimming with the dolphins in the FL keys.

Because of the current pandemic restrictions a Memorial service will be held in Tucson when possible. Dom will be laid to rest at St. Mary's Cemetery, New Britain, CT, alongside his son, and a Memorial will be held when it is safe to do so. The family would especially like to thank the wonderful caregivers on floor 900's at Tucson Medical Center (TMC). They truly are our HEROES! In lieu of flowers, donations made be made in Dom's memory to JDF, TMC Foundation, Hermitage No-Kill Cat Shelter, Tucson.

Desert Sunset Funeral Home of Tucson, Arizona is in charge of arrangements.

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
rip coach. condolences to you and everyone else suffering the loss.
Oct 05th 2020
sorry, bro...this shit is snatching loved ones away.
Oct 05th 2020
sorry to hear this:-(
Oct 05th 2020
Respect due.
Oct 05th 2020
RIP. Thanks for sharing, good read
Oct 05th 2020
sounds like he reached a lot of people.
Oct 05th 2020
Sorry for your loss. RIP
Oct 05th 2020
Sorry for your loss, and thanks for posting
Oct 05th 2020
I appreciate the energy y'all
Oct 07th 2020
RIP and fuck Covid!
Oct 07th 2020
RIP, thanks for sharing this with us
Oct 07th 2020
Sounds like a great guy. I'm sorry for your and the community's loss nm
Oct 07th 2020
Shit. I'm so sorry. RIP.
Oct 08th 2020
Sorry to hear that. Respect.
Oct 10th 2020

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 03:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "rip coach. condolences to you and everyone else suffering the loss."
In response to Reply # 0

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 10:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "sorry, bro...this shit is snatching loved ones away."
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

3xKrazy
Charter member
21582 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 10:37 AM

3. "sorry to hear this:-("
In response to Reply # 0

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 11:48 AM

4. "Respect due."
In response to Reply # 0

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 11:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RIP. Thanks for sharing, good read"
In response to Reply # 0

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 12:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "sounds like he reached a lot of people."
In response to Reply # 0

everyone I know, knows someone personally who has been directly affected by covid -- to keep on disregarding it at this point is so crazy to me

--------

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 06:12 PM

7. "Sorry for your loss. RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 08:44 PM

8. "Sorry for your loss, and thanks for posting "
In response to Reply # 0

That was a great read. I’m fortunate enough to know a few of them - those older, legendary high school hoop coaches from that generation are just something else. Your coach sounds like a legend. RIP.

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Wed Oct-07-20 06:26 AM

9. "I appreciate the energy y'all"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Oct-07-20 04:55 PM

10. "RIP and fuck Covid!"
In response to Reply # 0

I am sorry to hear this news, he sounds like a great figure to have in your life and someone who should have had more time to share with those he influenced. It pisses me off to see good people lost to this virus while some people do everything they can to downplay it in some sort of spiteful mental gymnastics.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Wed Oct-07-20 10:07 PM

11. "RIP, thanks for sharing this with us"
In response to Reply # 0

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Wed Oct-07-20 11:00 PM

12. "Sounds like a great guy. I'm sorry for your and the community's loss nm"
In response to Reply # 0

---

But hell, what do I know?

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Thu Oct-08-20 01:52 PM

13. "Shit. I'm so sorry. RIP. "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Vector
Member since Jan 05th 2006
16356 posts
Sat Oct-10-20 02:03 PM

14. "Sorry to hear that. Respect."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2722296 Previous topic | Next topic