Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2719623

Subject: "Kerri Walsh, another dumb sports star (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
theMindofFury
Member since Feb 26th 2003
691 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 10:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Kerri Walsh, another dumb sports star (link)"

I'm dumbfounded by people insisting that some kind of freedom is at stake because of wearing a mask. Huh? Americans really just don't like being told what to do, no matter how sensible or logical the suggestion or order. Just say that and stop spouting off about freedoms and shit.

https://people.com/sports/kerri-walsh-jennings-apologizes-after-making-anti-mask-statements-insists-freedoms-have-slowly-been-taken-from-us/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
we need some kind of protection against Christianity
Sep 10th 2020
The promotion of atheism and secular humanism is a start
Sep 10th 2020
I honestly don't even think it's the Christianity.
Sep 15th 2020
      I think the two are inextricably connected.
Sep 15th 2020
as someone else said
Sep 10th 2020
right... they don't have anything to say about open fascism
Sep 10th 2020
      exactly...
Sep 10th 2020
A good friend of mine from high school died, last month...
Sep 10th 2020
it's infuriating
Sep 10th 2020
My 47 yr old cousin passed away in June --similar circumstances
Sep 15th 2020
      really sorry, man
Sep 15th 2020
Murderers. That's what I call anyone that is insisting on no mask.
Sep 10th 2020
RE: Kerri Walsh, another dumb sports star (link)
Sep 10th 2020
Pretty sure the avg person thinks she just a tall ass white woman
Sep 10th 2020
Gina Cerono (MMA, Mandalorian) is on that ish also. Just less in your fa...
Sep 10th 2020
not surprising from an MMA chick, I shudder to thing what would come...
Sep 11th 2020
      Rousey's actually pretty to the left.
Sep 11th 2020
           To be fair to both women
Sep 11th 2020
           rousey (and her man travis browne) really surprised me.
Sep 15th 2020
                nah they just look like it
Sep 15th 2020

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 11:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "we need some kind of protection against Christianity"
In response to Reply # 0

do they all use the same template for these posts? the same profiles?

"protector of freedoms. saved by God. random bible verse. mother of 4. warning: not here to be politically correct. learn to think on your own! MAGA"

--------

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44809 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 06:40 PM

9. "The promotion of atheism and secular humanism is a start"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Sep-10-20 06:56 PM by Cold Truth

The promotion of critical thinking/morality/philosophy courses as mandatory, two semester high school classes is another good start.

In fact... I'd say things like the laws of logic, logical fallacies, syllogisms, tautologies, epistemology, and the veil of ignorance should all be taught as early as 8th grade, if not 7th.

Additionally, comparative religious courses should be much more prevalent, perhaps as part of the aforementioned curriculum, in a way that openly examines the morality of religions, so that people can no longer simply ignore the atrocities and gross immorality displayed by the gods of the major world religions, in favor of the warm fuzzy shit that makes them feel good.

To be clear, by the promotion of atheism, I mean the promotion of the notion that there is no good evidence for the existence of any god. That's it. There are no tenets. it's not a religion, despite the "ism" attached, and that important distinction should also be promoted, as it is a response to a claim, not the claim itself.

Further, removing the tax exempt status from churches, or, at a minimum, changing those laws to require that religious organizations open their books and give a full accounting of their spending, would be a big step in the right direction.

Also, for religious organizations that seek to also provide charitable services, there should be laws in place that strictly and explicitly prohibit any form of proselytization at any stage of the process, from collecting donations, to delivering the goods or services, to leaving. No flyers, no songs, no invitations to church, none of it. Whatever they give, they give without even the implied obligation to partake in any sort of religious ritual, media, or discussion.

Same goes for establishing better secular sobriety networks, removing court ordered mandates to religious organizations such as AA.

Despite a strong persecution complex, Christians and Christianity has a foothold in fucking everything from addiction to charity to politics.

Take away that preferred status and level the playing field with other non profits, OR afford the same rules to secular charity and aid organizations and my guess is we'd begin to see the playing field level a bit as far as the ability of those organizations to grow.

The promotion of secular humanism is another key to the puzzle, and one of the most critical. We have to dispel entirely this notion that any of our value or morality is derived from any religion, let alone any deity, which means abolishing the concept of original sin.

This also goes hand in hand with stepping up our game in the mental health arena. People who are bred to believe they are inherently evil and can do no good absent the presence of some higher power is a net negative, particularly in Christianity, as it is a gaslighting manipulation that sells you on two things:

The idea that you're sick, and the idea that Christianity is the cure.

To that end, I'd argue that protection from Christianity starts with seriously limiting the ability of christianity- and christians- to prey on the poor, sick, compromised, incapable, insecure, or otherwise vulnerable, in addition to leveling overt challenges to the entire framework of the religion from it's theology to it's infastructure, to it's political reacg

There's a lot that can be done, but pushing back against this shit with education, logic, reason, promotion of science and the scientific method, understanding standards of evidence, understanding the apologetics used to convince people that a god is real (spoiler alert: it's nearly always a logical fallacy), better education on evolution, particularly how it pertains to biology, etc...

For any atheists and/or those who are questioning, or have already deconverted who are interested, or know those who may be, there are resources out there:

Recovering From Religion:

https://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/

Freedom From Religion Foundation:

https://ffrf.org/

Secular Therapy Project:

www.seculartherapy.org

The American Humanist Association

https://americanhumanist.org/

Black Nonbelievers:

https://blacknonbelievers.com/

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 07:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "I honestly don't even think it's the Christianity."
In response to Reply # 1

You just take the blanket off the white supremacy.

These people are textbook sociopaths. They know better, but insist on being assholes

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44809 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 06:05 PM

17. "I think the two are inextricably connected."
In response to Reply # 15
Tue Sep-15-20 06:17 PM by Cold Truth

I'd also argue that White Supremacy is nested beneath the religion in this hierarchy, and being the greater overall evil because of it.

I look at it more or less like this:

White supremacists show up and act like they own the place.

Conversely, Christians came to this land as white supremacists and took over this land as an act exercise in white supremacy. Those same Christians built the economy of this land via the slave trade, all of which was justified through their Christianity.

Sure, apologists like to point out that it was other Christians that helped abolish slavery, but they simply kicked the can down the road.

To that end, Christians also show up and act like the own the place, with the significant difference that they're waiving around a document that they believe validates their ownership claim, despite the fact that we can't even verify the entity that supposedly granted them said ownership even exists.

I see this is more potently dangerous, because it's not just that it's been a historically primary tool of white supremacy, it's that it's also been used to indoctrinate the Black and Brown people they subjugated and oppressed in a way that facilitates the spread of white supremacist ideologies to those Black and Brown communities.

Just my two cents, but I think the separation between white supremacy and Christianity is razor thin. The more I understand secular humanism, the more I see how integral a belief in a god is to bigotry. It's not exclusive, but Christianity is a primary vehicle for the bigotry-i.e. white supremacy-we see in this country.

I don't think it would be nearly as pervasive without it.

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 01:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "as someone else said"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-10-20 01:03 PM by smutsboy

the anti mask thing isn't even mostly about freedom, because they ridicule and mock people who do wear masks.

At a certain point it's just about cruelty towards others.

Also:

unmarked law enforcement snatching dissidents off the street with no charges into unmarked vans? but sure, mask requirements are the TRUE loss of freedom.

https://i.imgur.com/ZkkZekl.gif

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12488 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 01:25 PM

3. "right... they don't have anything to say about open fascism"
In response to Reply # 2

>Also:
>
>unmarked law enforcement snatching dissidents off the street
>with no charges into unmarked vans? but sure, mask
>requirements are the TRUE loss of freedom.

not to mention they yell "just do as you're told!" at Black people who are being harassed and murdered by cops.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 02:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "exactly..."
In response to Reply # 3

>not to mention they yell "just do as you're told!" at Black
>people who are being harassed and murdered by cops.

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 02:09 PM

5. "A good friend of mine from high school died, last month..."
In response to Reply # 0

from COVID. He was 47 and he had 3 kids. A coworker of his who went to a large gathering, came to work sick...then was sent home. His employer didn’t tell him till after the fact, he had worked in the same area as this person. Within days he was in the hospital. He never came home. He chronicled as much as he could on Facebook. It was heartbreaking. His final post basically ended with “I don’t think I’m going to make it. My body has given up”. Fuck you, Kerri Walsh. Fuck you and everyone like you.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 02:20 PM

6. "it's infuriating"
In response to Reply # 5

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43347 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 09:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "My 47 yr old cousin passed away in June --similar circumstances"
In response to Reply # 5

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 09:55 PM

20. "really sorry, man"
In response to Reply # 16

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

B.J.S.301
Member since Nov 30th 2005
7074 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 02:37 PM

7. "Murderers. That's what I call anyone that is insisting on no mask."
In response to Reply # 0

I wish we weren't so polite to some of these people.

theMindofFury
Member since Feb 26th 2003
691 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 04:17 PM

8. "RE: Kerri Walsh, another dumb sports star (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

I also think she was lying, where was she shopping at that just let a 6-foot-3 celebrity go in and buy some groceries without a mask, and no one noticed or posted a video or anything? She put up this hypothetical to get some feedback, and her dumb-ass didn't expect serious backlash.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59131 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 07:00 PM

10. "Pretty sure the avg person thinks she just a tall ass white woman"
In response to Reply # 8

With no ass

You calling her a celeb reminds me of when newspapers write articles about "nba star Chris duhon"

Rant over

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5621 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 08:34 PM

11. "Gina Cerono (MMA, Mandalorian) is on that ish also. Just less in your fa..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-10-20 08:45 PM by Sofian_Hadi

She posts tons of QANON related stuff as well, Candace Owens crap, etc

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Sep-11-20 08:29 AM

12. "not surprising from an MMA chick, I shudder to thing what would come..."
In response to Reply # 11

out of Ronda Rousey's mouth at this point

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44688 posts
Fri Sep-11-20 12:29 PM

13. "Rousey's actually pretty to the left."
In response to Reply # 12

She posted a lot of pro-BLM stuff and how the police need oversight during the initial outrage over George Floyd's murder. It's kind of the subtext of why a lot of MMA fighters didn't like her.

But over the last few weeks, she mostly tweets about anime and gaming.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Fri Sep-11-20 12:47 PM

14. "To be fair to both women"
In response to Reply # 13

both Gina Carano and Rhonda Rousey have both removed themselves from MMA for many, many years now, Carano especially. Her last fight against Cyborg was ages ago; it think it was before Rousey started to get her MMA shine, and lord knows Rousey's MMA shine has been dim for quite sometime now.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 07:05 PM

18. "rousey (and her man travis browne) really surprised me."
In response to Reply # 13

around that blm blackout time was when i really started to pay attention to mma folks political leanings.

went through a lot of pages and a lot of following lists to see what folks were into.

rousey and trav are def lefties...prolly even bernie types...and had no problem shitting on cops.

for some reason...i thought they were some backwoods conservative types.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85002 posts
Tue Sep-15-20 08:51 PM

19. "nah they just look like it"
In response to Reply # 18

she got a bad rap because of the hype of her MMA peak and some of the shit she was popping to sell matches, but overall she actually seems like a solid person

<--- Big Baller World Order

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2719623 Previous topic | Next topic