Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2718950

Subject: "Frank Gore is 3rd all time in rushing yards. Wow." Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Tue Sep-01-20 10:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Frank Gore is 3rd all time in rushing yards. Wow."

https://sports.yahoo.com/frank-gore-is-nearing-walter-paytons-rushing-mark-and-paytons-son-couldnt-be-happier-for-his-exteammate-193016558.html

Jarrett Payton can now admit that Oct. 27, 2002, was an uncomfortable afternoon for him.

On that Sunday, the Dallas Cowboys’ Emmitt Smith surpassed Payton’s father, Walter, for No. 1 on the NFL’s all-time rushing list. Walter had asked Smith to watch over his son, and Jarrett and Smith have shared a special bond since that celebratory day.

Payton admits that on the inside, it wasn’t easy for his younger self to appreciate the moment.

“I’m at a different point now in my life now,” Payton told Yahoo Sports. “When Emmitt broke my dad’s record, I was in college. I was upset. I didn’t want him to break it. I was like, ‘I want my dad to be on top for all of time!’

“But now I am totally different.”

Jarrett was 21 when Smith broke his father’s record. This Nov. 1, it will have been 21 years since Jarrett lost his father to a rare liver disease. He turns 40 this year and has grown in many ways over the past several years, he says, especially as he has started his own family.

Now the idea of preserving his father’s spot in the rushing hierarchy is not something he is clinging onto. In fact, as one incredible NFL veteran — one whom Payton knows extremely well — inches within range of his father’s total, Payton said he’d be able to embrace the moment.

Smith leads the way with 18,355 rush yards, a total that might not be broken for generations. Walter Payton sits at No. 2 with a venerable 16,726.

And stunningly third on the list at 15,347 after passing the mighty Barry Sanders last season? None other than the ageless Frank Gore — Jarrett’s college teammate at Miami......

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The fact that Barry had 15000+ after just 10 years. damn.
Sep 03rd 2020
Herman Moore was 1st Team All-Pro 3x +set single season reception record
Sep 07th 2020
      95-98 they had all kinds of weapons
Sep 07th 2020
I knew about that but not the Payton-Gore-Miami connection
Sep 03rd 2020
How many players have retired from Detroit in their prime now?
Sep 03rd 2020
      the only astonishing thing is that it isn't more
Sep 04th 2020

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Thu Sep-03-20 03:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The fact that Barry had 15000+ after just 10 years. damn."
In response to Reply # 0

>https://sports.yahoo.com/frank-gore-is-nearing-walter-paytons-rushing-mark-and-paytons-son-couldnt-be-happier-for-his-exteammate-193016558.html

it's a shame free agency hadn't gotten to the point it did just a decade later, players weren't moving as much during their time. On a team with other weapons? 2500 yd season would have been doable.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27115 posts
Mon Sep-07-20 01:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Herman Moore was 1st Team All-Pro 3x +set single season reception record"
In response to Reply # 1

>their time. On a team with other weapons? 2500 yd season
>would have been doable.

and Johnnie Morton & Brett Perriman were good #2 receivers. Barry played with other weapons during his career.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35251 posts
Mon Sep-07-20 04:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "95-98 they had all kinds of weapons"
In response to Reply # 5

they also had crap at QB and spent big money on scott mitchell to "fix" it

the OL was also nothing to write home about outside lomas brown

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

vik
Charter member
13505 posts
Thu Sep-03-20 04:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I knew about that but not the Payton-Gore-Miami connection"
In response to Reply # 0

...or that Smith was effectively his godfather. That's some amazing synchronicity.

And ditto to what Beamer said above about Sanders.

---

But hell, what do I know?

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Thu Sep-03-20 08:23 PM

3. "How many players have retired from Detroit in their prime now?"
In response to Reply # 2

------------------
One Hundred.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Sep-04-20 04:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "the only astonishing thing is that it isn't more"
In response to Reply # 3

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2718950 Previous topic | Next topic