Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2717683

Subject: "Stay classy Houston!" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Aug-14-20 03:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Stay classy Houston!"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2020/08/14/nba-fires-photographer-offensive-meme-kamala-harris-bill-baptist/3374973001/

A photographer working for the NBA as an independent contractor has been terminated after posting an offensive meme on Facebook on Wednesday that referenced Sen. Kamala Harris, Joe Biden's running mate in the 2020 presidential election.

Bill Baptist is a Houston-based photographer who had worked with the Houston Rockets for over 30 years.

A person with direct knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports that Baptist had been removed from the NBA bubble in Orlando. The person requested anonymity due to the sensitivity of the situation.

Basketball Hall of Famer and gold medalist Sheryl Swoopes shared her thoughts on Facebook regarding Baptist's post.

"So this guy works for the NBA but covers the Houston Rockets. Has been around for awhile. Even worked for the Comets," Swoopes, a former Houston Comets player, wrote. "It's amazing how people will smile in your face but eventually their true colors will how. @NBA and Houston Rockets he needs to GO!!! So disrespectful. Bill Baptiste (sic) shame on You!!!"

USA TODAY Sports reached out to the Rockets but had not received a response as of Friday afternoon.

Baptist issued an apology to a local Houston television station stating that he "deeply" regretted the post and the statement "does not reflect my personal views at all."

"I deeply regret posting on my Facebook page a phrase that I saw and copied from others as a sample of some people's reactions to Biden's selection of Senator Harris as his choice for VP," he wrote in the statement. "The phrase I posted does not reflect my personal views at all. I should not have been so insensitive to post the statements by others. I sincerely apologize to all of those who have rightfully been offended and I have taken the post down from my FB page. It was a horrible mistake on my part."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Baptist posted an image that read "Joe and the Hoe."
Aug 14th 2020
Wow. The hills people die on.
Aug 15th 2020
Eat a fuckin dick....
Aug 14th 2020
Yeah the backpedaling apologies when they get busted are always...
Aug 15th 2020
      lol...even though a dude corrected him...
Aug 15th 2020
Not sure what the city of Houston has to do w/ a racist POS but ok
Aug 14th 2020
RE: Not sure what the city of Houston has to do w/ a racist POS but ok
Aug 14th 2020

dagu
Member since Nov 25th 2005
1650 posts
Fri Aug-14-20 04:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Baptist posted an image that read "Joe and the Hoe.""
In response to Reply # 0

Fuck that guy.

---------------------

http://www.last.fm/user/dagu85

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Sat Aug-15-20 10:36 AM

6. "Wow. The hills people die on. "
In response to Reply # 1

People lose their fucking minds on fb. Like who needs a job anyway *post*

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Aug-14-20 04:48 PM

2. "Eat a fuckin dick...."
In response to Reply # 0

man, I'm so tired of these old ass racists with these bullshit apologies. The fuck would you post something like that, if it wasn't your view? If that was his sister, he wouldn't post that shit. Go sit you old ass down, somewhere.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Aug-15-20 07:55 AM

5. "Yeah the backpedaling apologies when they get busted are always..."
In response to Reply # 2

like the A’s coach who pretended not to know it was wrong to do a nazi salute lol

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sat Aug-15-20 11:36 AM

7. "lol...even though a dude corrected him..."
In response to Reply # 5

and he turned around and did it, AGAIN.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Fri Aug-14-20 05:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Not sure what the city of Houston has to do w/ a racist POS but ok"
In response to Reply # 0

and yeah, smdh at his "apology"

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Aug-14-20 06:25 PM

4. "RE: Not sure what the city of Houston has to do w/ a racist POS but ok"
In response to Reply # 3

>Bill Baptist is a Houston-based photographer who had worked
>with the Houston Rockets for over 30 years.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2717683 Previous topic | Next topic