Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2716567

Subject: "Sage Steele claims black coworkers excluded her from ESPN race special" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 09:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sage Steele claims black coworkers excluded her from ESPN race special"

if so then salute Elle Duncan and Michael Eaves. the black community dont fuck w/ Sage

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/sage-steele-claims-she-was-excluded-from-espn-race-special-thanks-to-colleagues-complaints.html

The latest ESPN controversy centers around SportsCenter anchor Sage Steele, who has now lodged complaints about how she was not chosen for the network’s June 24 special “Time for Change: We Won’t be Defeated.” That special, presented by The Undefeated, (ESPN’s recently-expanded platform covering race, culture and sports) was billed as “exploring Black athletes’ experiences with injustice,” and it was hosted by SportsCenter anchors Elle Duncan, Michael Eaves and Jay Harris and college football reporter/studio host Maria Taylor. Joe Flint of The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that Steele (pictured above) claims Duncan and Eaves kept her from participating in this show, and that she complained to ESPN president Jimmy Pitaro about this. Here are some key lines from his piece:

ESPN anchor Sage Steele has told management she believes she was excluded from a special the network aired on race last month because she wasn’t considered by certain Black colleagues to be an authentic voice for the Black community, a person familiar with the matter said.

Ms. Steele, one of the network’s most prominent on-air personalities, voiced her concerns to ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro in early June, saying the incident showed the network has a divisive work environment, the person said.

Ms. Steele said colleagues told her she was considered for the special by the executive in charge, Michael Fountain, until two of the other on-air personalities involved, Elle Duncan and Michael Eaves, complained, saying Ms. Steele wouldn’t be accepted by what they considered the Black community, according to the person familiar with her account to management.

This has led to a lot of statements from a lot of people. To start with, ESPN disputes the logic here from “the person familiar with the matter,” with Flint’s piece including that “An ESPN spokesman denied that Ms. Steele wasn’t invited to participate in the special because of a campaign by colleagues to undermine her or that her views played any role in Mr. Fountain’s decisions.” And Kevin Merida, the ESPN senior vice president and editor in chief of The Undefeated (who was heavily quoted in ESPN’s release about this special) told Flint “At The Undefeated, we don’t have litmus tests for Blackness. ESPN has a tremendous range of Black voices, and we’ve been honored to work with many of them. …We had already talked to Sage a number of times about working together, and look forward to that opportunity.” Meanwhile, Eaves and Duncan offered a joint statement to Flint:

“We wish we had more than an hour to include more of the many strong voices we have at ESPN; however, we are hopeful that this doesn’t distract from the important message conveyed that night.”

And Steele offered her own statement to Flint:

“I found it sad for all of us that any human being should be allowed to define someone’s ‘Blackness.’ Growing up biracial in America with a Black father and a white mother, I have felt the inequities that many, if not all Black and biracial people have felt—being called a monkey, the ‘n’ word, having ape sounds made as I walked by—words and actions that all of us know sting forever. Most importantly, trying to define who is and isn’t Black enough goes against everything we are fighting for in this country, and only creates more of a divide.”

The exact behind-the-scenes events that led to Steele not being involved in this particular special are not clear. Flint’s report is from “a person familiar with the matter,” and it only includes the reasons Steele “believes she was excluded,” with an ESPN spokesman denying those reasons. And there are other possible reasons not to feature Steele on this special. For one, that special would end up going with four anchors, which is a lot for any program, and it certainly didn’t include all of ESPN’s Black employees.

Beyond that, this special was billed as “part of The Undefeated’s ongoing, unprecedented coverage of the protests and social justice reform efforts that have come to the forefront following the killings of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd and Rayshard Brooks.” And Steele has made a lot of headlines over the years for her criticisms of various protests, from blasting then-Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans in 2016 for his protest during the national anthem to complaining about airport protests against an executive order banning immigrants from particular countries in 2017. Steele has also complained about the backlash she received for those criticisms.
So Steele is far from an uncontroversial figure, especially for a special focused on popular protests. Whether she should have been picked for this special is ultimately a decision for ESPN management figures like Fountain, though. And while the “person familiar with the situation” relayed Steele’s belief that she wasn’t chosen because of her colleagues’ thoughts about her, ESPN has denied that it played out that way. Perhaps Steele’s belief (or what this source relayed as her belief) is in fact accurate, or perhaps it isn’t. It’s certainly not an undisputed narrative.

It’s far from assured that any of this ultimately leads to anything. Even if you buy the account from the “person familiar with the situation” that Steele believes it was ESPN colleagues who kept her off this special (and it’s notable that Steele doesn’t explicitly say that in the statement from her Flint quotes, and that the “person familiar with the situation” is not named), there have been countless feuds between ESPN colleagues over the years, and most of them have meant very little. And the main ESPN-on-ESPN criticism the network tends to concern itself with is when that criticism is aired publicly (such as Bill Simmons blasting First Take while he was still under the ESPN umbrella). But thanks to the “person familiar with this situation,” this internal fight (or at least one person’s interpretation of it) has gone quite public.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
damn, I like Elle and Michael...
Jul 22nd 2020
Good for them. Nobody wants to hear Steele’s bullshit.
Jul 22nd 2020
she is miserable
Jul 22nd 2020
http://youtu.be/t9LdMPUWV-Q
Jul 22nd 2020
Jalen's reaction gets me every time
Jul 22nd 2020
😂😂😂 he couldn’t contain himself
Jul 22nd 2020
Same. His and Doug’s fist bump was great too
Oct 08th 2021
they absolutely had no idea what was going on lol...
Oct 08th 2021
Forgot about this, LOVE this
May 24th 2022
ha ha.
Jul 22nd 2020
LMAO, totally forgot about this
Jul 22nd 2020
LMAO 😂 😂😂. Jalen is the best.
Jul 23rd 2020
this is all the evidence you need...
Jul 24th 2020
lol
Jul 24th 2020
LMAO
Oct 08th 2021
lol
Jul 22nd 2020
she thinks people don't like her because of her politics
Jul 22nd 2020
^^^ all of this
Jul 22nd 2020
she had no problem shading the arcade fire dude for his politics.
Jul 22nd 2020
      wow i'd never seen that
Jul 24th 2020
      lmao. didn't expect arcade fire lead singer to be a hooper
Jul 26th 2020
i knew she wasnt a real sista when she let chael sonnen do this:
Jul 22nd 2020
are we going to act like this isn't a factor?
Jul 23rd 2020
It’s not, nor should it be. Plenty of Black people don’t lose
Jul 23rd 2020
LOL. No.
Jul 23rd 2020
if it is for you let that be your problem
Jul 23rd 2020
I didn't exclude her from anything genius.
Jul 24th 2020
No. It’s her conservative ass political opinions.
Jul 24th 2020
cute family
Jul 24th 2020
not at all
Jul 24th 2020
She brought this on herself...
Jul 23rd 2020
it's probably both
Jul 24th 2020
I keep hearing people say "her politics" but have never seen or heard...
Jul 24th 2020
I think people are referring to this:
Jul 24th 2020
RE: I keep hearing people say "her politics" but have never seen or hear...
Jul 24th 2020
Good catch, I had forgotten all about that shit I had written her off...
Jul 24th 2020
When Jemele got in hot water for calling DT a racist...
Jul 24th 2020
Yup, she's vile.
Jul 24th 2020
RE: When Jemele got in hot water for calling DT a racist...
Jul 26th 2020
      when the travel ban came down
Oct 05th 2021
she has a twitter feed, you can pull it up
Jul 27th 2020
Sage Steele, if you need her...
Oct 05th 2021
you wanna hear a gem of a Sage story...
Oct 05th 2021
when in the podcast is it?
Oct 05th 2021
      RE: when in the podcast is it?
Oct 05th 2021
this woman is sick af
Oct 05th 2021
wow, it is funny that what goes around comes around lol...:
Oct 05th 2021
Dusted off Linda Cohn and Suzy?
Oct 05th 2021
      RE: Dusted off Linda Cohn and Suzy?
Oct 05th 2021
           When was this?
Oct 05th 2021
The transition of these 2 paragraphs...
Oct 05th 2021
That is just.....wow.
Oct 06th 2021
lmao @ sorry, ma'am!
Oct 05th 2021
I just watched the interview to get some context,
Oct 05th 2021
      Put the Candace Owens comment in context for me
Oct 06th 2021
      nah.. that Obama shit was goofy af and down right ignorant
Oct 06th 2021
Taken off the air…
Oct 05th 2021
Good
Oct 05th 2021
RE: Taken off the air…
Oct 05th 2021
      She’ll be doing a PTI-style show with Will Cain, by November
Oct 05th 2021
      yeah. feels like she has been posturing for something outside ESPN
Oct 05th 2021
      yeah.. I bet she ends up on OAN or one of those networks
Oct 06th 2021
Fuck her
Oct 06th 2021
Never forget…
Oct 08th 2021
wow I had forgotten about that lol...
Oct 08th 2021
WTF!!!??!!
Oct 08th 2021
John Rahm with golf shot of the year
May 20th 2022
ball dont lie.
May 20th 2022
^^^
May 22nd 2022
LOL
May 20th 2022
luka supposedly has/had some unidentified illness.
May 20th 2022
wrong post.
May 20th 2022
May 20th 2022

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 09:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "damn, I like Elle and Michael..."
In response to Reply # 0

they have good chemistry...they're good friends outside of the network, too. Hope they don't take any hits, over this.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Beezo
Charter member
27538 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Good for them. Nobody wants to hear Steele’s bullshit."
In response to Reply # 0

Annoying ass

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 10:43 AM

3. "she is miserable"
In response to Reply # 0

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18569 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 11:37 AM

4. "http://youtu.be/t9LdMPUWV-Q"
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/t9LdMPUWV-Q

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 12:55 PM

6. "Jalen's reaction gets me every time"
In response to Reply # 4

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 06:34 PM

9. "😂😂😂 he couldn’t contain himself "
In response to Reply # 6

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18569 posts
Fri Oct-08-21 06:32 PM

61. "Same. His and Doug’s fist bump was great too "
In response to Reply # 6

This clip tells you everything you need to know about Sage and Bill though.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Oct-08-21 10:05 PM

63. "they absolutely had no idea what was going on lol..."
In response to Reply # 61

>This clip tells you everything you need to know about Sage
>and Bill though.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Tue May-24-22 01:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
73. "Forgot about this, LOVE this"
In response to Reply # 6

Man, the middle 2010s ESPN is a masterclass in flirting with greatness only to acquiesce to the status quo

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36958 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 06:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "ha ha."
In response to Reply # 4

https://digife.com

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12488 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 08:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "LMAO, totally forgot about this"
In response to Reply # 4

>http://youtu.be/t9LdMPUWV-Q

Mignight Maruder
Member since Nov 30th 2003
7706 posts
Thu Jul-23-20 10:09 AM

16. "LMAO 😂 😂😂. Jalen is the best."
In response to Reply # 4

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 01:06 AM

20. "this is all the evidence you need..."
In response to Reply # 4

..she's clearly out of touch and doesn't even understand why she isn't trusted in the convo, let alone the community.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 05:08 PM

30. "lol"
In response to Reply # 4

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Fri Oct-08-21 04:10 PM

60. "LMAO"
In response to Reply # 4

------------------
One Hundred.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22247 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 12:32 PM

5. "lol"
In response to Reply # 0

>>>Ms. Steele, one of the network’s most prominent on-air personalities,

lololol

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 03:26 PM

7. "she thinks people don't like her because of her politics"
In response to Reply # 0

but never considers that maybe people don't like her because she's a fuckin loser, a whiner and a snitch.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 08:06 PM

10. "^^^ all of this"
In response to Reply # 7

It would have been interesting to have a political conservative just to have that viewpoint on there but everyone can't be a talking head on a one-hour show.

And she comes off as out-of-touch (at best) and a little uncharismatic, unlike the other Black ESPN personalities.

The fact that she created this distraction from the important message of the telecast shows she can't get past herself, which is probably why she wasn't included in the first place.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 11:17 PM

12. "she had no problem shading the arcade fire dude for his politics."
In response to Reply # 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng8XPzIrLBE

gave him the forearm shiver to the ribs too.

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4542 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 10:57 AM

24. "wow i'd never seen that"
In response to Reply # 12

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4380 posts
Sun Jul-26-20 12:08 PM

34. "lmao. didn't expect arcade fire lead singer to be a hooper"
In response to Reply # 12

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Jul-22-20 11:19 PM

13. "i knew she wasnt a real sista when she let chael sonnen do this:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCcqtkRSB60

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-23-20 08:29 AM

14. "are we going to act like this isn't a factor?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://images.app.goo.gl/KAdJ2vJRtFhdgWTA8

Mignight Maruder
Member since Nov 30th 2003
7706 posts
Thu Jul-23-20 10:08 AM

15. "It’s not, nor should it be. Plenty of Black people don’t lose "
In response to Reply # 14

their identity or intensity just because they have a white or non-Black spouse.

I guess in her case, it may help explain some things (I don’t really follow her like that, so can’t comment), but I don’t think that is the reason why they chose to exclude her (assuming it was intentional).

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Thu Jul-23-20 10:24 AM

17. "LOL. No. "

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Thu Jul-23-20 03:12 PM

18. "if it is for you let that be your problem"

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 09:19 AM

22. "I didn't exclude her from anything genius."
In response to Reply # 18

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79326 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 07:37 AM

21. "No. It’s her conservative ass political opinions. "

L

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32081 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 10:42 AM

23. "cute family"

sometimes it can just stop right there fam

Ashy Achilles
4542 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 10:58 AM

25. "not at all"

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Thu Jul-23-20 06:07 PM

19. "She brought this on herself..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-23-20 06:08 PM by CyrenYoung

..this has less to do with race and everything to do with her actual personality. She's insufferable as a co-worker and they clearly didn't want her participation.

Own it.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Ashy Achilles
4542 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 11:00 AM

26. "it's probably both"
In response to Reply # 19

her politics clearly go against what the undefeated's project and this current social moment are about

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 11:14 AM

27. "I keep hearing people say "her politics" but have never seen or heard..."
In response to Reply # 0

her state exactly what that is.

Did I miss something?

Is she a right-wing conservative?

a vocal DT supporter?

Did she go in on Kaep or Jemelle? She is usually in a reporting role and not on any of the "opinion" shows so I haven't really heard anything.

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 03:57 PM

28. "I think people are referring to this: "
In response to Reply # 27

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/sage-steele-instagram-airport-espn

referring to this and assuming she is that wealthy pseudo-liberal type (i.e. a centrist).

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 04:02 PM

29. "RE: I keep hearing people say "her politics" but have never seen or hear..."

>her state exactly what that is.
>
>Did I miss something?
>
>Is she a right-wing conservative?
>
>a vocal DT supporter?
>
>Did she go in on Kaep or Jemelle? She is usually in a
>reporting role and not on any of the "opinion" shows so I
>haven't really heard anything.

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2512351&mesg_id=2512351&listing_type=search#2592801

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 05:41 PM

31. "Good catch, I had forgotten all about that shit I had written her off..."
In response to Reply # 29

for her marital choices lol

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 06:35 PM

32. "When Jemele got in hot water for calling DT a racist..."

Sage said she basically brought it on herself. She tweeted a picture of soldiers’ graves and at Mike Evans, in response to him kneeling during the anthem and told him to look up the word Democracy.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Fri Jul-24-20 06:58 PM

33. "Yup, she's vile."
In response to Reply # 32

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

jimaveli
Charter member
6586 posts
Sun Jul-26-20 08:34 PM

35. "RE: When Jemele got in hot water for calling DT a racist..."
In response to Reply # 32

>Sage said she basically brought it on herself. She tweeted a
>picture of soldiers’ graves and at Mike Evans, in response
>to him kneeling during the anthem and told him to look up the
>word Democracy.

Oh, okay. I’m good with her getting left out then. Folks didn’t want to deal with her potentially pouring in some salt. Makes sense even if some shadiness came into play.

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 07:06 PM

44. "when the travel ban came down"
In response to Reply # 35

and they were flooding the airport to try and provide lawyers for people suddenly stuck in transit

she was like "fuck em, y'all are making me late for my flight"

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Mon Jul-27-20 04:06 AM

36. "she has a twitter feed, you can pull it up"

she is full on clay travis, daily caller all that shit.

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 01:21 PM

37. "Sage Steele, if you need her..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/espn-s-sage-steele-calls-obama-s-choice-to-identify-as-black-fascinating-his-black-dad-was-nowhere-to-be-found/ar-AAP9Ot0?ocid=entnewsntp

ESPN’s Sage Steele calls Obama’s choice to identify as Black ‘fascinating’: ‘His Black dad was nowhere to be found’

Former NFL quarterback-turned-podcaster Jay Cutler introduced his guest with a bit of a warning.

“She’s been opinionated on a few different topics that are probably hot right now,” he told his audience.

ESPN anchor Sage Steele didn’t disappoint. Over the next hour, Steele called her employer’s vaccine mandate “sick,” told young women breaking into sports journalism that they know what they’re doing when they “dress like that,” and remarked on former president Barack Obama’s Blackness.

Obama, whose father is from Kenya, selected “African-American” when completing his 2010 Census questionnaire. Steele noted the former president was raised by his White mother and maternal grandmother — not his Black father.

Steele was the sole guest on the Sept. 29 episode of the podcast “Uncut With Jay Cutler,” hosted by the former NFL quarterback who played for the Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins during his 12-season career before retiring in 2017.

Toward the start of the interview, Steele — who’s worked at the Walt Disney Co.-owned sports network for nearly 15 years — started out recounting how, when she was coming up in sports journalism, some players would make it difficult for her or inappropriately ask her to dinner in exchange for inside information. She said she didn’t care and found ways to laugh off their advances, chalking up their behavior to them “just being stupid guys in the locker room.”

But, Steele added, she’s rejected recent requests from women asking for her help and advice on how to succeed in the industry because she doesn’t want to associate with reporters who present themselves in certain ways.

“So when you dress like that, I'm not saying you deserve the gross comments, but you know what you're doing when you're putting that outfit on, too,” Steele said. “Like, women are smart, so don't play coy and put it all on the guys.”

Later in the interview, Steele touched on race, telling a story about how she once got “ripped” on live TV because she insisted on identifying as biracial, which she described as “a huge blessing” and “the best of both worlds.”

One of the TV show’s hosts pushed her to choose “Black” or “White,” Steele said. The host told her the Census Bureau allowed people to select only one and that Obama, who’s also biracial, had chosen Black.

“I’m like, ‘Well, congratulations to the president. That’s his thing.’ I think that’s fascinating considering his Black dad was nowhere to be found, but his White mom and grandma raised him, but hey, you do you. I’m going to do me.”

Toward the end of the episode, Steele addressed the recent mandate from Disney that all employees, including some 4,000 that work for ESPN, be vaccinated against the coronavirus. Steele conceded that the mandate led her to get vaccinated but said she felt “defeated” by doing so.

“I respect everyone’s decision, I really do, but to mandate it is sick and it’s scary to me in many ways,” she said. “But I have a job, a job that I love and, frankly, a job that I need.”

In a statement released Tuesday morning, ESPN said the company embraces “different points of view.”

“Dialogue and discussion makes this place great. That said, we expect that those points of view be expressed respectfully, in a manner consistent with our values and in line with our internal policies,” the company said. “We are having direct conversations with Sage and and those conversations will remain private.”

Steele also released a statement, saying she apologized for her recent comments creating “controversy for the company.”

“We are in the midst of an extremely challenging time and that impacts all of us, and it’s more critical than ever that we communicate constructively and thoughtfully,” she said.

Despite being a self-described “tough” person, Steele said getting the vaccine was painful, implying that the health-care worker who gave it to her hurt her intentionally. “Maybe she thought I was Candace Owens,” Steele said, referencing the Black conservative firebrand who has spoken out against the coronavirus vaccines.

One of Steele’s former co-workers, Jemele Hill, who left ESPN in 2018 following tweets in which she described President Donald Trump as “a white supremacist who has largely surrounded himself with other white supremacists,” called Steele’s comments about Obama and women “Clown behavior.”

Jemele Hill stands by calling President Trump a white supremacist: ‘I thought I was saying water is wet’
Reacting to Steele’s comments about Obama and Blackness, MSNBC host Joy Reid wrote on Twitter that the American construct of race was built by White people seeking to ensure the “purity” of Whiteness as a way of elevating themselves above the African people they were enslaving or their descendants. This gave rise to the “one-drop rule,” the concept that any amount of non-Whiteness — often imagined as “Black blood” — disqualified someone from being White.

Reid tweeted of Obama: “By every European/American-made conception of race he is Black (as is Ms Steele, sorry ma’am!)”

Ben Strauss contributed to this report.

PROMO
Charter member
30817 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 02:42 PM

38. "you wanna hear a gem of a Sage story..."
In response to Reply # 37

listen to today's episode of the Higher Learning pod. Rachel dropped a gem on there.

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26422 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 04:19 PM

41. "when in the podcast is it?"
In response to Reply # 38

-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 07:21 PM

45. "RE: when in the podcast is it?"
In response to Reply # 41

>
>-----------
>you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making.
>Basaglia

Here you go: https://youtu.be/VzefFcU_aB4?t=2717

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

legsdiamond
79326 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 02:50 PM

39. "this woman is sick af"

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 03:01 PM

40. "wow, it is funny that what goes around comes around lol...:"

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2602983&mesg_id=2602983&listing_type=search

she's probably mad people like Elle Duncan and Malika Andrews are stealing her shine...

I've noticed ESPN has recently dusted off Linda Cohn and Suzy Kolber so there may still be a spot for Sage...

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 06:08 PM

43. "Dusted off Linda Cohn and Suzy?"
In response to Reply # 40

They are ESPN staples, and they hold legendary and seniority status. They
never left. Cohn is ESPN’s co-anchor on the weekends, and Kolber is the
anchorwoman for MNF’s post and pregame show.

ALL HAIL THE KING of LOSING: LEBRON
Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 07:25 PM

46. "RE: Dusted off Linda Cohn and Suzy?"
In response to Reply # 43

>They are ESPN staples, and they hold legendary and seniority
>status. They
>never left. Cohn is ESPN’s co-anchor on the weekends, and
>Kolber is the
>anchorwoman for MNF’s post and pregame show.

I'm well aware of who they are and what they do.

There was a period when they weren't as prominently featured as they once were for whatever reason.

allStah
9816 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 09:25 PM

51. "When was this?"
In response to Reply # 46
Tue Oct-05-21 09:32 PM by allStah

They have always been prominent on ESPN. Cohn just simply moved from the weekdays to the weekends to make way for younger journalists, because
the weekday mornings, evenings and nights are prime news spots.

Most of the older ESPN journalists appear during the weekends, because
there is lower television viewership during the weekends compared to
the weekdays.

Bulls | Bears | White Sox | Yankees | Notre Dame | Illinois | Chelsea | Real Madrid

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 04:40 PM

42. "The transition of these 2 paragraphs..."

...I hope they're inscribed on her headstone

"Toward the start of the interview, Steele — who’s worked at the Walt Disney Co.-owned sports network for nearly 15 years — started out recounting how, when she was coming up in sports journalism, some players would make it difficult for her or inappropriately ask her to dinner in exchange for inside information. She said she didn’t care and found ways to laugh off their advances, chalking up their behavior to them “just being stupid guys in the locker room.”

But, Steele added, she’s rejected recent requests from women asking for her help and advice on how to succeed in the industry because she doesn’t want to associate with reporters who present themselves in certain ways."

So when it happens to her...and I'm sure she was wearing the strongest pant suit in her wardrobe... it's just boys being boys

But when it still happens to women in modern day...slut shaming and she can't be bothered.

WTF... she's touched.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Wed Oct-06-21 09:57 AM

57. "That is just.....wow."
In response to Reply # 42

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35207 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 10:10 PM

53. "lmao @ sorry, ma'am!"

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

allStah
9816 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 11:19 PM

54. "I just watched the interview to get some context,"

and I don’t agree with a lot her statements, but her opinions and words were
taking out of context.

Here is the full interview.

https://youtu.be/xqpfuymF3WQ

Her statements regarding Obama was used as a reference
point, as she was discussing the Barber Walters situation on the view.
Barbara asked her why she chose to acknowledge two ethnic identities,
as opposed to just identifying as black. She stated that it was important
to acknowledge both parents in regards to her ethnicity, and she found it
fascinating that Obama only acknowledges the black side of his identity when
he was solely raised by a white parent.

I would never question that, but I don’t consider those comments to be irreverent.

The same thing goes with her comments regarding woman and
sexual harassment. It was taking out of context. She stated that women
are smart, and know what they are doing when they put on certain attire.
No one deserves to be harassed, but at the same time a woman has to be
responsible with her attire. That’s why she is careful with what she wears and
what her daughters wear. That was her commentary.

There wasn’t anything victim blaming or degrading about those statements.
I don’t have the same ideology as her, but her outlook is far from appalling.

Her comments revealing ESPN’s mandatory vaccination policy Is where the
problem truly exists. She berated her employer on a global platform, which
was an unintelligent move, considering she is an employee of the company.

I’m not for or against Sage, but the coverage and reports given by the media
in regards to the interview are somewhat sensationalized.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Oct-06-21 09:46 AM

56. "Put the Candace Owens comment in context for me"
In response to Reply # 54

As a healthcare professional, I found that statement very offensive
She's alleging that she was profiled
In order to believe that, you have to accept that the person giving her the injection is racist enough not to know the difference between Sage Steel and Candace Owens
...even though you have to show ID to get the shot, because, you know, the shot goes in your medical chart and all...
or, the person giving her the shot disagreed so strongly with her publicly expressed political views
That he/she intentionally caused harm to Ms Steel when she got the injection

It's such a logic leap to make sense of what she insinuated...I don't see how you can defend it
and as a healthcare professional, working through the pandemic, yeah...that was a whole nother level of fokery right there

IRT BHO
The shot was at his father being absent...completely unnecessary
As if he doesn't love and appreciate his mother and grandmother because he identifies as AA...FOH

You know and I know why she chooses to identify as biracial...stop the BS.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

legsdiamond
79326 posts
Wed Oct-06-21 10:25 AM

59. "nah.. that Obama shit was goofy af and down right ignorant"
In response to Reply # 54

She really questioned why a Brown man in America identifies as Black?

I know women like her and it doesn’t matter who raised them and who abandoned them, it usually comes down to which rave they prefer to date. Had a biracial girl who’s mom was white and an addict and she was raised by her Black father. She dated white and you could have a Black man and a white man do the same shit and she always pointed at the Black dude and shook her head.

small sample size but I had a mission in Pittsburgh to convert all biracial girls to the dark side so I’m really familiar with the Sage Steele mindset.

don’t give a shit about the other stuff because she is trash in my book. When you give these type of responses while working for Disney it tells me she was trying to make sure her answers could be taken “out of context”

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 08:07 PM

47. "Taken off the air…"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1445489496896598023?s=20

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 08:26 PM

48. "Good"
In response to Reply # 47

jimaveli
Charter member
6586 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 08:31 PM

49. "RE: Taken off the air…"
In response to Reply # 47

>https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1445489496896598023?s=20

Seems like that’s what she wanted. She had those red people talking points laid out something serious. I guess it’s big business to speak in talking points and wrap your whole public identity up into who you vote for in Murrican elections. Seems like a shitty way to make money but folks are rolling with it and paying attention to her so maybe I’m the crazy one.

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 08:37 PM

50. "She’ll be doing a PTI-style show with Will Cain, by November "
In response to Reply # 49

will_5198
Charter member
63070 posts
Tue Oct-05-21 09:57 PM

52. "yeah. feels like she has been posturing for something outside ESPN"
In response to Reply # 50

on a Fox News-esque network for a while

--------

legsdiamond
79326 posts
Wed Oct-06-21 10:14 AM

58. "yeah.. I bet she ends up on OAN or one of those networks"
In response to Reply # 49

She did everything possible to get suspended in that interview

Beezo
Charter member
27538 posts
Wed Oct-06-21 09:09 AM

55. "Fuck her"
In response to Reply # 0

The end.

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Fri Oct-08-21 06:54 PM

62. "Never forget…"
In response to Reply # 0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FCcqtkRSB60

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Oct-08-21 10:07 PM

64. "wow I had forgotten about that lol..."
In response to Reply # 62

>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FCcqtkRSB60

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Fri Oct-08-21 11:33 PM

65. "WTF!!!??!!"
In response to Reply # 62

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Fri May-20-22 05:11 PM

66. "John Rahm with golf shot of the year"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reports-espn-sage-steele-hit-in-face-by-jon-rahm-tee-shot-at-pga-championship-aaron-wise-204043872.html

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri May-20-22 07:05 PM

67. "ball dont lie."
In response to Reply # 66

https://twitter.com/CPowers14/status/1527730988171902976

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Sun May-22-22 11:16 PM

72. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 67

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Fri May-20-22 08:09 PM

71. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 66

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri May-20-22 07:18 PM

68. "luka supposedly has/had some unidentified illness."
In response to Reply # 0

sounds like a convenient excuse but he allegedly was throwing up and couldnt sleep after game 1.

if he underperforms in game 2 then theyll say hes still sick.

if he has a good game 2 then theyll say he just had some mysterious 24-48 bug.

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri May-20-22 07:57 PM

70. "wrong post."
In response to Reply # 68

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri May-20-22 07:54 PM

69. "."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-20-22 07:56 PM by Reeq

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2716567 Previous topic | Next topic