Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2714588

Subject: "2020 Korean Baseball Post" Previous topic | Next topic
Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Mon May-04-20 10:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2020 Korean Baseball Post"

Well, it looks like this is all we're going to get for a while.

ESPN is going to broadcast some games in the middle of the night. I got an old Doosan Bears hat (from when they were the OB Bears), so I guess that's my team.

Live baseball is a good thing.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'll try to catch this. Has anyone here been watching the CPBL?
May 04th 2020
dope celebration
May 07th 2020
It's good to watch baseball
May 05th 2020
I picked Doosan, but I think I've got to switch
May 06th 2020
Whassup Walleye, hope you're well
May 07th 2020
      I am good
May 08th 2020
Wiz/Dinos starting with the offense I want
May 12th 2020

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Mon May-04-20 04:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'll try to catch this. Has anyone here been watching the CPBL?"
In response to Reply # 0

You can pay for the streaming service or if you're up you can watch live for free on Twitter. I caught a couple games the other night and I love the Uni-Lions. They don't take themselves too seriously and the dancers and mascots are having a blast too. The team has a fun home run celebration too:

https://twitter.com/GOCPBL/status/1256381917781348354

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Thu May-07-20 02:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "dope celebration"
In response to Reply # 1

I just read up on the league, I have some ties to Taichung through my wife's family so I picked the CTBC Brothers. Playing the Rakuten Monkeys tomorrow, let's see if they keep the offensive bonanza going

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Tue May-05-20 01:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It's good to watch baseball"
In response to Reply # 0

Pace of KBO is nice.

ESPN broadcasts are still a drag in any country. Eduardo Perez's bookshelf is as prominent as the strike zone in the CF cam.

I might just say, "Fuck it" and stream them on Twitch

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed May-06-20 10:51 AM

3. "I picked Doosan, but I think I've got to switch"
In response to Reply # 0

My wife and I thought it'd be fun to just split up the Bears/Twins stadium, but I was reading a thread on twitter that helpfully described each KBO fanbase and analogized them to American fanbase characteristics. Apparently, Doosan Bears are basically the Yankees so ... pass.

Thinking of supporting the Dinos, based on the aforesaid breakdown. Watching the Twins give away a rally in both the 7th and 8th inning of a game they were losing 5-2 to Doosan seems pretty in-character to all but the most recent iterations of the Minnesota Twins roster, but I'm not really interested in watching KBO games for an identical emotional experience.

Agreed about the pace and general feel of the games. And truthfully, the empty stadiums aren't that different in appearance than regular weekday day games in MLB right now.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Thu May-07-20 02:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Whassup Walleye, hope you're well"
In response to Reply # 3

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Fri May-08-20 12:26 PM

6. "I am good"
In response to Reply # 5

I think I have this KBO thing ironed out. Gonna cheer for NC Dinos.

Weird thing is that, right before everything shut down, I actually got to go watch a week's worth of Twins' spring training in Ft. Myers. I was as excited for this season as any one in a long time.

Beyond that, I am incredibly lucky to be living a basically normal life. Lost a little bit of money from canceled classes and bummed out that my runners' season disappeared, but the former may actually be a wash since I don't have to commute.

How are you?

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue May-12-20 07:19 AM

7. "Wiz/Dinos starting with the offense I want"
In response to Reply # 0

Because I'm apparently several years behind, my KBO stereotype was from the sillyball Eric Thames era. But on the first broadcast I caught, they mentioned that they changed the ball last year, which kind of deflated me. If I don't have any emotional connection to these teams and I'm meeting these players for the first time then give me POWER.

This dude Kang Baek-Ho looks like a lot of fun though. Guy came up right as they were talking about whether the league was going to play like last year in terms of homeruns, and he swings like he's in a rec league softball homerun derby. More of that, please.

--Walleye's Dad

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2714588 Previous topic | Next topic