Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2713956

Subject: "SI just fired Grant Wahl" Previous topic | Next topic
hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Apr-10-20 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"SI just fired Grant Wahl"

wow

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1248697150567047173

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
that memo is wild. they about to get sued AF.
Apr 10th 2020
that 'infrequent writing' thing is hard to prove
Apr 10th 2020
plus just putting out his salary to the rest of the company...
Apr 10th 2020
      especially when that wasn't his salary.
Apr 10th 2020
Why would they get sued?
Apr 11th 2020
      c'mon dude.
Apr 11th 2020
SI has been on a huge decline for a while
Apr 10th 2020
when i was younger i could not WAIT for Thursday
Apr 11th 2020
From October 2019 - swipe
Apr 11th 2020
Bryan Curtis has been raking Maven over the coals for 6+ months now
Apr 12th 2020
damn. that was an informative read. thanks. nm
Apr 16th 2020
Good ole fashioned union busting, breaking
Apr 11th 2020
Fuck them
Apr 15th 2020

PROMO
Charter member
30967 posts
Fri Apr-10-20 04:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "that memo is wild. they about to get sued AF."
In response to Reply # 0

now, on the bright side for them, they aren't gonna have any money so they won't have to pay the settlement or award.

i'm saying this exclusive of any judgement of Wahl's actions (IF what SI says is true).

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Apr-10-20 04:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "that 'infrequent writing' thing is hard to prove"
In response to Reply # 1

he was writing for them quite often so idk why that's even in there

PROMO
Charter member
30967 posts
Fri Apr-10-20 05:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "plus just putting out his salary to the rest of the company..."
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Apr-10-20 05:25 PM by PROMO

AND then throwing the shot of saying "instead of paying this guy further we're gonna put his salary to better use and pay y'all" or whatever it was (i'm paraphrasing).

he musta made them mad as shit.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Apr-10-20 06:02 PM

4. "especially when that wasn't his salary."
In response to Reply # 3

That was his previous year's pay of salary plus an end-of-year bonus.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Sat Apr-11-20 11:33 AM

6. "Why would they get sued?"
In response to Reply # 1

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

PROMO
Charter member
30967 posts
Sat Apr-11-20 04:49 PM

10. "c'mon dude."
In response to Reply # 6

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Fri Apr-10-20 07:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "SI has been on a huge decline for a while"
In response to Reply # 0

as with most original print media. Maven is just one of those horribly common companies of this era, who swoop in on troubled properties and ring them dry.

remember that website redesign that resembled Pinterest?

used to be daily online reading for me (although I only had a ESPN The Magazine subscription) for years. nearly everyone has migrated to The Athletic.

--------

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35256 posts
Sat Apr-11-20 12:59 PM

8. "when i was younger i could not WAIT for Thursday"
In response to Reply # 5

growing up my dad had a subscription for as long as i can remember, and i read every issue front to back multiple times every week until i left for college.

it came every Thursday and i was excited every week. and the college football preview issue? man.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Sat Apr-11-20 12:59 PM

7. "From October 2019 - swipe"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Apr-11-20 12:59 PM by MEAT

https://www.businessinsider.com/jim-heckmans-maven-was-losing-millions-last-year-sec-filing-2019-10?op=1

This story is available exclusively on Business Insider Prime. Join BI Prime and start reading now.

Maven, the startup founded in 2017 by Jim Heckman, was sustaining heavy losses last year, according to a quarterly Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

As of July, the company had raised about $112.8 million but still didn't have enough resources to fund its operation through June, according to the filing.

The serial entrepreneur Heckman founded Maven in 2017 as a platform to help independent publishers compete in a Facebook- and Google-dominated digital-ad market. Maven is in the spotlight now, having recently licensed the right to operate Sports Illustrated from ABG, a branding, marketing, and entertainment company that bought the title from Meredith Corp. Sports Illustrated laid off employees, and Maven announced plans to use contractors to help feed the site, prompting employees to beg Meredith and ABG to drop Maven and "save SI."

Even Bernie Sanders shared his support.

Heckman's past business practices have also been the subject of scrutiny by NPR and other outlets.

Other highlights of Maven's filing:

As of June 30, Maven had cash of $116,187, losses of $8.7 million, and a deficit of $17.2 million.
"As a result, management has concluded that there is substantial doubt about the Company's ability to continue as a going concern" through 2019, the filing said. Those doubts were echoed by the company's independent accountant.
In June 2018, Heckman put $1 million of his own money into the company to keep it running.

The filing showed other weaknesses in the company's operations. Its former accounting firm, BDO, which has since resigned, found Maven lacked effective controls and procedures and accounting resources as it expanded its operation through complicated financing transactions. As a result, the company fell behind on filing required financial reports on time in 2018 and 2019, according to the filing. In the filing, Maven said it has begun addressing the issues that the accountants raised.

The company also incurred penalties for failing to meet certain public-information-disclosure requirements and registration-rights penalties.
The company hasn't filed a quarterly financial report since the period covering the three months ending June 30, 2018.

Today, Heckman says he expects Maven to be profitable in 2020. Maven just raised another $20 million through an investment firm called B. Riley Financial. About half the money was raised from 10 directors and executives at Maven, including Heckman. Heckman said the company fell behind on filing financial reports because companies it acquired hadn't been audited and that he expected to be caught up on filings by the end of 2019.

Of course, it's common for startups to lose money, and as a public company, Maven's finances are subject to public scrutiny. Maven also has been on an acquisition tear. It acquired the publisher-tech platform Say Media for $20 million in cash, stock, and debt, and combined it with HubPages, a collection of niche-content sites, last year. Earlier this year, Maven acquired TheStreet for $16.5 million and paid $45 million to ABG for three years of licensing fees for Sports Illustrated, according to financial filings.
Where Heckman got its funding

Maven started in 2016 as a Delaware shell company, Integrated Surgical Systems Inc. Shell companies can be a way for a new company that's losing money or showing little revenue to gain access to public financing.

Maven was initially backed by the longtime Heckman investor MDB Capital, an investment bank that has been described as known for backing early-stage companies that have no revenue, and pitched itself as an alternative to venture capital, according to The Business Journals. Some critics have suggested that MDB has a "history of underwriting tantalizing stories that don't materialize," according to the report. CEO Chris Marlett was a director of Maven.

MDB also was there when Heckman started Scout Media in 2001, a network of sports sites, and 5to1 in 2009, an ad-tech company.

More recently, B. Riley provided the backing for Maven's deals for TheStreet and Sports Illustrated.

Later, 5to1 sold to Yahoo, and Scout sold to Fox Interactive. Heckman bought back Scout from Fox in 2013, and it went bankrupt three years later.

But despite these troubles, Maven, in a filing, said it was following the playbook its founders followed at 5to1, Scout, and Rivals.com, which started in 1998 and, like many other websites at the time, collapsed in the dot-com bust.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Sun Apr-12-20 07:23 PM

11. "Bryan Curtis has been raking Maven over the coals for 6+ months now"
In response to Reply # 7

I love all his insidery, "I read every publication in America" / "I am the entire American media's ombudsman" vibes, whether it's written out or just off the cuff on The Press Box podcast (mostly the podcast). This dude is the only reason I'm aware of any of this stuff, and I'm SUPER aware. Some of his stuff is detailed in a way I've sorely missed since the passing of Deadspin, which was arguably when he really kicked his criticism into high gear.

October 3 2019: https://www.theringer.com/2019/10/3/20897883/sports-illustrated-layoffs-maven-meredith-media

October 31 2019: https://www.theringer.com/2019/10/31/20942249/deadspin-g-o-media-fired-quit-sports-illustrated-maven-sports-media

April 11 2020: https://www.theringer.com/2020/4/11/21217843/sports-illustrated-grant-wahl-fired-maven

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Apr-16-20 05:02 PM

13. "damn. that was an informative read. thanks. nm"
In response to Reply # 7

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Sat Apr-11-20 01:10 PM

9. "Good ole fashioned union busting, breaking"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/si_union/status/1248763353079713792

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Apr-15-20 03:20 PM

12. "Fuck them"
In response to Reply # 0

All he said was that he didn't think it was fair that he (or anyone else) should have to take a *permanent* reduction in salary. Now they want to make an example of him and undermine his work there. Just goes to show what a bullshit operation they've become. Rick Reilly told me stories about his time there when I was just a kid and it sounded like an amazing place to work. That's like talking about Beirut or Damascus being must-visit destinations now.

He will land on his feet, whether in the States or in Europe. I'm not so sure about the magazine's long-term prognosis.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2713956 Previous topic | Next topic