Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2712661

Subject: "Since Skipper's fall ESPN sure is un-browning" Previous topic | Next topic
The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Wed Feb-26-20 10:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Since Skipper's fall ESPN sure is un-browning"

Bomani and Pablo are the most recent example of this but it's really noticeable. Especially with dudes like Will "I'm more American than you" Cain getting more run.

Sadly, Stephen A is their safe negro because he's willing to take the populace stances against POC.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
that's more a symptom of a renewed "stick to sports" ideology
Feb 26th 2020
they seem intent on pushing Max Kellerman a boxing guy as an...
Feb 26th 2020
seriously, he is so terrible discussing anything that's not boxing
Jul 20th 2020
people like cari champion, mike hill, mike smith, and even adnan virk
Feb 26th 2020
It probably is
Feb 26th 2020
even favored-son white people get treated like shit
Feb 27th 2020
      shit, only seeing Katie Nolan today reminds me they brought her in
Feb 28th 2020
           I remember she was one of the tip-offs that Grantland was getting punted
Jul 21st 2020
Good for everyone else, tho: Ringer, All the Smoke, Lebron shit, etc.
Feb 27th 2020
this is a fact
Feb 27th 2020
^^^
Feb 27th 2020
im curious what the Ringer Pod Network sale to Spotify
Feb 27th 2020
as interesting as the Athletic
Feb 27th 2020
Athletic is very worth the $60/yr (to me) depending on sport
Feb 27th 2020
Athletic is phenomenal dude
Feb 27th 2020
This is off topic
Feb 27th 2020
      ESPN's cable subscriber profit model is fucked
Feb 27th 2020
           show me the a la carte setup
Feb 27th 2020
                Yup, golden age of cord cutting is over,
Feb 28th 2020
RE: Since Skipper's fall ESPN sure is un-browning
Feb 27th 2020
changing the whole radio linuep...
Jul 15th 2020
And they got rid of bum ass Will Cain. They righting the ship (for now)
Jul 15th 2020
and Bomani kicked him in the ass on his way out the door...
Jul 15th 2020
honestly the best espn show is nfl primetime on espn+.
Jul 16th 2020
      yep, used to look forward to Chris and Tom...
Jul 16th 2020
      what espn shows are y'all watching?
Jul 16th 2020
           LOL Perk is a funny case, I only hear him when he pops onto a Lowe Post
Oct 04th 2020
                I feel like Perk is in a good zone. He's figured it out.
Oct 05th 2020
                     He's probably better in conversation than a scripted show.
Oct 05th 2020
Orvlovsky is so annoying
Sep 22nd 2020
Women have become more prominent on every NBA show too
Oct 04th 2020
espn is noticeably browning again lol.
Oct 04th 2020
and why is Bob Ryan still on television?
Oct 05th 2020

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Wed Feb-26-20 12:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "that's more a symptom of a renewed "stick to sports" ideology"
In response to Reply # 0

there's still black and brown faces on ESPN, they (and their white colleagues) just don't say anything remotely provocative, intelligent, or nuanced.

So if ESPN's programming is going to be so polished and feckless, I wish they would just "stick to sports" then. They want to have it both ways, where they think they're contributing to some ambiguous national conversations on things like women's pay and concussions while still making sure not to offend anyone and never really taking any controversial stances. The simple reality is they're just putting out shitty TV.

ESPN is good for games, most Sportscenters, and 30 for 30. That's seriously about it. The rest of it is more or less dogshit.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Feb-26-20 06:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "they seem intent on pushing Max Kellerman a boxing guy as an..."
In response to Reply # 0

expert in all sports but he just comes off as super annoying

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Mon Jul-20-20 01:25 PM

25. "seriously, he is so terrible discussing anything that's not boxing"
In response to Reply # 2

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Feb-26-20 08:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "people like cari champion, mike hill, mike smith, and even adnan virk"
In response to Reply # 0

make that company sound soul crushing when they talked about it after they left.

and they didnt even have to go through the whole other level of bullshit that jemele did.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Wed Feb-26-20 08:46 PM

4. "It probably is"
In response to Reply # 3

From the outside looking in it seems like the dream job then you get there and it’s the same politics as any job. Plus you up in white ass Bristol. And it’s cold.

My buddy does video editing for them up there and he HATES it. Dude called me like his 3rd day up there like “I fucked up coming here.” but he sticking it out for the connections and resume

<--- Big Baller World Order

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 02:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "even favored-son white people get treated like shit"
In response to Reply # 3

Russillo is probably the most recent example, but he's hardly the only one.

so you know the bs is flowing for everybody else. Skipper had kinda turned that around, but that's not the kinda shit execs value, so it takes a certain person and a lot of clout to shift things that way.

the people they replaced him with don't give a shit, and if they did, they wouldn't have the power to do things like he did.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Feb-28-20 05:23 PM

17. "shit, only seeing Katie Nolan today reminds me they brought her in"
In response to Reply # 5

and apparently had no plan on what to do with her.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue Jul-21-20 04:16 AM

26. "I remember she was one of the tip-offs that Grantland was getting punted"
In response to Reply # 17

It was so apparent that she made sense for the media side of what Grantland was doing, and she had podcast/working relationships with a few different people on that site, and clearly matched the serious/not serious tone that site grew into more and more around the time she was looking to move on from Fox...

But ultimately, ESPN had a TV SHOW for her to host, and enough backend politics to imply that was probably the safer bet for her...and all these years later, as a fan of Katie Nolan, I'm still randomly surfing Youtube and stumbling across screenshots and headlines that make me think, "Oh yeah, Katie Nolan's working at ESPN..."

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 04:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Good for everyone else, tho: Ringer, All the Smoke, Lebron shit, etc. "
In response to Reply # 0

Everyone else eating off these lanes that ESPN
SHOULD own.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 05:36 AM

7. "this is a fact"
In response to Reply # 6

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4548 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 11:02 AM

8. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 6

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 11:09 AM

9. "im curious what the Ringer Pod Network sale to Spotify"
In response to Reply # 6

means for the writers and the site. cause the quality on the site has fell of a fucking cliff and it was never half as good as Grantland to begin w/. Their NBA coverage is particularly embarrassing.

i have a buddy that lent me his Athletic login and their articles are excellent across a variety of sports.

<--- Big Baller World Order

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43352 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 01:49 PM

12. "as interesting as the Athletic"
In response to Reply # 9

thumbnails and teasers have been for me-- ive never once been interested enough to pull out my wallet and add my credit card info to pay for sports articles

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 02:58 PM

14. "Athletic is very worth the $60/yr (to me) depending on sport"
In response to Reply # 12

Their soccer and hockey coverage is fantastic, and they hired a lot of the best hockey writers after they all got laid off by ESPN and elsewhere.

I'm happy to pay to support an independent outlet.

It's a start up venture/capital organization, so I have no idea if their model is profitable long term though.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 01:50 PM

13. "Athletic is phenomenal dude"
In response to Reply # 9

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 12:03 PM

11. "This is off topic"
In response to Reply # 6

but with the other channels/podcasts/misc. venues coupled with the money ESPN is losing with cord cutting, I wonder how long it'll take for ESPN to lose to dominant sports coverage power it once had.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 03:02 PM

15. "ESPN's cable subscriber profit model is fucked"
In response to Reply # 11

They were extorting cable providers for ridiculous fees (the highest of any basic cable channel I believe), which were then passed on to every cable customer whether they wanted ESPN or not.

So with cord cutting or any a la carte set up, I don't see how ESPN's old model can survive.

Something like 2/3rds of their profit comes from subscriber fees. Fees which cable subscribers have no choice in.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 04:14 PM

16. "show me the a la carte setup"
In response to Reply # 15

that's not really how it's going.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Feb-28-20 06:18 PM

18. "Yup, golden age of cord cutting is over,"
In response to Reply # 16

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 12:00 PM

10. "RE: Since Skipper's fall ESPN sure is un-browning"
In response to Reply # 0

>Bomani and Pablo are the most recent example of this but it's
>really noticeable. Especially with dudes like Will "I'm more
>American than you" Cain getting more run.
>
>Sadly, Stephen A is their safe negro because he's willing to
>take the populace stances against POC.

Not that I agree with the man, nor do I find him particularly insightful, but I'm guessing Screaming A is given somewhat of a free reign because the dude works his butt off in terms of the hours the puts into going on ESPN air/television waves. It's somewhat interesting to see the network give what appears to be some degree of freedom for Screaming A to bark on air given that the network in the past didn't want to push the on air personalities too hard based on that old Those Guys Have All The Fun ESPN insider book.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Jul-15-20 07:04 PM

19. "changing the whole radio linuep..."
In response to Reply # 0

after a 20 year run on morning radio, they blew Golic Sr up outta there. Sounds like he's still gonna do college football. The new morning radio show will be Zuban Mehenti, Jay Williams (who I love) and Keyshawn Johnson. LeBatard show is clipped down from 3 hours to 2 on the radio side. Greeny gets a solo show, Max Kellerman gets a solo show and Golic Jr and Chiney Ogwumike get a show, together (Jr is pretty cool to listen to and Chiney is moving fast up the ladder...good for her). Wouldn't have thought Golic Jr would be the Mike Golic to survive. Highly Questionable gets moved to an earlier slot in the day to make way for Greeny. Seems like they are fuckin with Dan. He says he told them it sounds like a demotion, but the big heads at ESPN say it's not, they're just moving more to digital. Mina Kimes (Mina is a rocket-ship at the network, right now) gets her dream job...nerding out on NFL Live. THIS might be the best tv show on ESPN. Laura Ruteledge, Dan Orlovsky, Marcus Spears, Keyshawn and Mina. All good. All know their stuff. No dickheads.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Wed Jul-15-20 09:40 PM

20. "And they got rid of bum ass Will Cain. They righting the ship (for now)"
In response to Reply # 19

n/m

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Jul-15-20 10:13 PM

21. "and Bomani kicked him in the ass on his way out the door..."
In response to Reply # 20

called in and undressed him on his own show.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu Jul-16-20 12:05 AM

22. "honestly the best espn show is nfl primetime on espn+."
In response to Reply # 19
Thu Jul-16-20 12:08 AM by Reeq

with berman and jackson.

peeped it for a few weeks during a trial and it made me realize i had forgotten how enjoyable calm steady delivery of sports news/discussion late at night was. not a bunch of fucking yelling and needlessly prickly debate. and theres no substitute for flat out good natural chemistry.

it was like the quiet storm for highlight commentary.

im not even sure why they arent on the main network anymore. even just as the late late sunday night show of sorts. itd be the perfect cap to the weekend right before bed.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Thu Jul-16-20 07:27 AM

23. "yep, used to look forward to Chris and Tom..."
In response to Reply # 22

after all the games were done for the day. They basically got moved to Siberia once yell and scream, fake debate style took over.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Jul-16-20 01:18 PM

24. "what espn shows are y'all watching?"
In response to Reply # 22

I started watching the jump this week and suddenly realized why people are yelling about perk all the time because he's on there.

with high noon gone I've gone back to watching highly questionable and really that's it.

Nodima
15297 posts
Sun Oct-04-20 09:13 PM

30. "LOL Perk is a funny case, I only hear him when he pops onto a Lowe Post"
In response to Reply # 24

And between the last one and the post-Game 2 episode, Windhorst and Lowe seemed to take it upon themselves to puff him up at every opportunity. It was weird; I can't say I agreed with him a lot or enjoyed the way he presented his arguments BUT he had a good rapport with the two of 'em so it was a fine pod.

~~~~~~~~~

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 01:02 AM

31. "I feel like Perk is in a good zone. He's figured it out. "
In response to Reply # 30

He's the "tell it like it is" guy, but does it rather
responsibly. And he is a smart guy.

I think it took him a while, but he's figured it out.

Good for him.

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 01:26 AM

32. "He's probably better in conversation than a scripted show."
In response to Reply # 31

Again, I haven't seen him on TV 'cause I haven't watched TV outside of the TNT show's Youtube clips in forever but I can totally get why older current and recently retired players love the guy.

~~~~~~~~~

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Sep-22-20 04:00 PM

27. "Orvlovsky is so annoying "
In response to Reply # 0

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sun Oct-04-20 06:06 PM

28. "Women have become more prominent on every NBA show too"
In response to Reply # 0

Reeq
16347 posts
Sun Oct-04-20 08:45 PM

29. "espn is noticeably browning again lol."
In response to Reply # 0

i wonder why the change of direction.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Oct-05-20 04:14 PM

33. "and why is Bob Ryan still on television?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2712661 Previous topic | Next topic