Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2712423

Subject: "Motorsports 2020- Living life a quarter mile at a time..." Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10283 posts
Thu Feb-20-20 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Motorsports 2020- Living life a quarter mile at a time..."

NASCAR gets underway with a big smash-em-up that sends Ryan Newman to the hospital in a horrific crash. Congrats to Denny Hamlin for the win, I suppose.

F1 testing started this week. The last year of the current regs. Can Mercedes run the table and win every championship under the current regs? Hamilton was fastest on the hard compound tires yesterday, but lap times mean nothing in testing, as Ferrari clearly learned last year. The most interesting bits so far are Racing Point's 'duplicate' of Mercedes' W10 of 2019, which is sure to get the midfield frights (Perez seems to be getting along with the car pretty well in testing) and Mercedes trick new steering system which looks to mechanically change the toe angle on the steering. It doesn't change the suspension though, so it adheres to the letter of the law (though maybe not the spirit). Whether it is a serious advantage or a gimmick that could fail at the worst moment remains to be seen. Either way, 7 for 7 will be the goal for the Silver Arrows this year.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
That was the worst crash I've seen in a long time.
Feb 20th 2020
I thought for sure Newman was dead
Feb 20th 2020
The trick Merceded DAS system may not be legal in 2021
Feb 21st 2020
Winter testing is a wrap. As usual, we know nothing
Feb 28th 2020
Watched it over the last few days.
Mar 02nd 2020
      Definitely a show to get fans into it, not so much fans already of F1
Mar 03rd 2020
      it's fucking beautiful
Mar 03rd 2020
      I get bored with the storylines
Mar 14th 2020
RE: Motorsports 2020- Living life a quarter mile at a time...
Mar 03rd 2020
So....racing in June?
Mar 14th 2020
F1 replaying old races. Full 2014 Bahrain up now
Mar 29th 2020
We're still not racing, but things are happening
May 12th 2020
even covid can't stop the silly season
May 12th 2020
ricciardo to mclaren in 2021 is official
May 14th 2020
Sainz getting Vettel's Ferrari seat followed that pretty quickly
May 14th 2020
Well, that escalated quickly...
May 15th 2020
Happy 4th of July F1
Jun 02nd 2020
It's almost here! This might be the return I care most about
Jun 29th 2020
      Wonder if they run that scheme all year
Jun 29th 2020
           RE: Wonder if they run that scheme all year
Jun 29th 2020
                If another team did it it may be worse
Jun 30th 2020
First full practice and quali of the season
Jul 04th 2020

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
15272 posts
Thu Feb-20-20 02:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "That was the worst crash I've seen in a long time."
In response to Reply # 0

I felt sick Monday night, like a lot of people. Thought for sure that last hit by LaJoie must have killed Newman, or at least paralyzed him. Absolutely amazing he walked out that hospital yesterday.

That said, while I love racin', I'm done with Daytona and Talladega. I don't like 25-car wrecks, and I don't like what happened Monday night.

F1-wise, I just want Williams to not be horrible.

Glad you made this post, btw.

Rjcc
Charter member
91764 posts
Thu Feb-20-20 04:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I thought for sure Newman was dead"
In response to Reply # 1

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

spenzalii
10283 posts
Fri Feb-21-20 10:11 AM

3. "The trick Merceded DAS system may not be legal in 2021"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.mercedes-trick-das-steering-system-wont-be-legal-under-2021-f1-rules.6RuPl5v6j2YZyOp91yWhSq.html

If Mercedes took the R&D time and budget to make a trick steering setup that can only be used for one year just because screw the other teams, that's incredibly ballsy. Makes you wonder how confident they must be in their 2021 setup, which all bets are off for everyone.

I would love to see them go 7 for 7 with the current regs. Winter testing means jack, but so far, it's promising.

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

spenzalii
10283 posts
Fri Feb-28-20 02:05 PM

4. "Winter testing is a wrap. As usual, we know nothing"
In response to Reply # 0

Ferrari was supposedly taking things a little conservatively to sort some things out, so may not have showed true pace. Whether they are actually slower than RB and Petronas is yet to be seen. Tons of scuttlebutt over Racing Point's RP20/W09. If it is in fact a knock off of last year's car, this will make the mid field even sillier. Either that or Stroll now stands a chance to get out of Q1. Haas feels like they are still tripping over their own feet. Williams actually looked semi-competent, though any improvement over last year is a huge win.

Green flag drops in 2 weeks. Just enough time to watch the latest season of Drive to Survive on Netflix. The behind the scenes at the German race has been all the buzz so far. Should be a good watch

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
15272 posts
Mon Mar-02-20 07:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Watched it over the last few days."
In response to Reply # 4

Drive to Survive, that is. As with the last series, the race footage is superb. What I didn't like is how much time they spent on the negative, downer stories of the year. I get that they're trying to make the content match the title, and show the human-interest side of the sport, but at the end I felt like it was all about:

- Haas sucking
- Hulk losing his seat
- Gasly losing his seat
- Williams sucking

Did like the long section on Albon, though.

They kind of beat those stories to death. And while I do really like Will Buxton, there are a lot of other commentators I wouldn't have minded hearing from.

All that said, the series wasn't really aimed at me, but more at attracting more casual sports fans to follow F1 specifically. And I do appreciate that F1 is trying to shed the Bernie-era aura of arrogance. Nice to have all these young drivers who don't come off as pricks, the way a lot of drivers used to.

spenzalii
10283 posts
Tue Mar-03-20 04:27 PM

6. "Definitely a show to get fans into it, not so much fans already of F1"
In response to Reply # 5

Those that watch the sport pretty much knew most of the storylines from each race, good and bad. The series serves to flesh them out a bit (I knew Williams was in a bad spot, but not THAT bad). And yeah, you have to form a narrative to pull people in, and what better way to play up drama and loud cursing personalities and frame it like a soap opera.

But the footage is awesome. The ariel tracking shot of Bottas losing it in Germany was fantastic

Rjcc
Charter member
91764 posts
Tue Mar-03-20 05:39 PM

7. "it's fucking beautiful"
In response to Reply # 5

as far as the storylines, yeah it's really for non-fans.

my wife does not care about anything related to any sport anywhere (she once tried to kick izzo out of his own locker room bc she didn't know who he was. at his own university)

and she was all-in on both seasons just because of the way it's formatted

will_5198
Charter member
60720 posts
Sat Mar-14-20 06:00 PM

10. "I get bored with the storylines"
In response to Reply # 5

but yeah...it's worth it just to watch the races from all angles. beautiful stuff.

--------

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1426 posts
Tue Mar-03-20 06:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "RE: Motorsports 2020- Living life a quarter mile at a time..."
In response to Reply # 0

So the impact of this virus is hitting Moto GP already this weekend, might give a bit of context to what's upcoming with F1 possibly. They've cancelled the early season Thai GP, but have also cancelled the Premier class race of the opener at Qatar this weekend due to travel restrictions placed on Italians, which I guess represents too much of the Moto GP field and factory team members. Only Moto 2 and 3. No one's talking about Italian GPs yet, some of these hot spots could be interesting.

---------------------
Obviously White

spenzalii
10283 posts
Sat Mar-14-20 12:18 PM

9. "So....racing in June?"
In response to Reply # 0

Got to figure the next 3 races (Bahrain, Vietnam, China) are off the books. Shame the inaugural Vietnam race has to be a wash, but health first, full stop. Things may possibly be better in May, but whether Spain and Monaco will be viable is unknown. A short season will make the end of this era of regulations interesting. Whomever wins the championship will have their work cut out for them.

spenzalii
10283 posts
Sun Mar-29-20 02:20 PM

11. "F1 replaying old races. Full 2014 Bahrain up now"
In response to Reply # 0

Easy to forget how much farther Mercedes was to everyone else when the new regs came through. 3rd race of the season and it seemed like every lap Hamilton and Rosberg were another second plus ahead of 3rd place. By lap 15 the gap between Rosberg anr Perez (2-3) was 18 seconds. Every team has since made gains in either the PU or aero department, but to see how much farther Mercedes was from everyone else is pretty shocking

upUPNorth
1426 posts
Tue May-12-20 08:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "We're still not racing, but things are happening"
In response to Reply # 0

Ferrari and Vettel have announced they are parting ways at the end of the 2020 season (whatever that ends up amounting to). It feels like a bit of a surprise right now, though not completely unforeseen, but he was talking about how he expected to still be there at least past 2020 if only for one year not too long ago. An open Ferrari seat definitely sets silly season off and running nice and early.

Williams won a Virtual GP lol

---------------------
Obviously White

Rjcc
Charter member
91764 posts
Tue May-12-20 09:52 PM

13. "even covid can't stop the silly season"
In response to Reply # 12

Rjcc
Charter member
91764 posts
Thu May-14-20 06:33 AM

14. "ricciardo to mclaren in 2021 is official"

upUPNorth
1426 posts
Thu May-14-20 08:12 AM

15. "Sainz getting Vettel's Ferrari seat followed that pretty quickly"
In response to Reply # 14

Silly season is moving pretty fast.

---------------------
Obviously White

spenzalii
10283 posts
Fri May-15-20 09:36 AM

16. "Well, that escalated quickly..."

Ferrari made a good move for the future. Sainz and leclerc should serve the prancing horse for a while, as neither have reached their peak. Team dynamic should be better than with Vettel as well.

Danny moving to Mclaren is interesting, but probably smart. Even though the rumor has been Renault will be on point with the new regs, their PU still has issues (which really puzzled me when he moved from RB to end up using the same unreliable engine and trans). With Mclaren having the aero back on track AND using Mercedes power, that could be a very dangerous combination. Assuming things work better for the Woking team than when they were on Honda power, they also set themselves up nicely to jump the midfield.

So... does Vettel retire? A scenario with Petronas dumping Bottas and giving Vettel the seat sounds stupid. I can't see him running with Renault, unless there's something huge up their sleeve that either Danny didn't know or didn't care about. Could The Hulk come back to Renault next year?

Silly season indeed, before we turn a wheel in competition this year...

spenzalii
10283 posts
Tue Jun-02-20 10:54 PM

17. "Happy 4th of July F1"
In response to Reply # 0

8 races on tap, with two back to backs (Red Bull Ring & Silverstone), which is weird. Unless they are trying to work with the 14 day quarantine rule some countries have? Who knows. No spectators, which will make Parc Ferme strange.

Still, with a compressed season and such a long layoff it will be interesting to see is the status quo holds up or if this ends up being the extreme silly season.

upUPNorth
1426 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 09:02 AM

18. "It's almost here! This might be the return I care most about"
In response to Reply # 17

Also, Mercedes running black livery instead of silver feels sorta badass, at least just in the sense of what it will feel like to see that on the grid and know it's Lewis in one of those cars.

I never really had an opinion one way or another or F1 ownership in the past, but Bernie's trash comments would've been even more problematic if he was still running things.

---------------------
Obviously White

spenzalii
10283 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 03:56 PM

19. "Wonder if they run that scheme all year"
In response to Reply # 18

Too bad they don't run alt colors in F1. Switching between the two would be fire.

That said, can't help but feel like it's semi-pandering to Lewis. At the same time, it's a symbolic gesture that looks fire and will move more merch, so...winning?

Whatever, just bring the season on. More excited for qualis on Saturday than fireworks.

upUPNorth
1426 posts
Mon Jun-29-20 05:17 PM

20. "RE: Wonder if they run that scheme all year"
In response to Reply # 19

It's definitely hard to call on 'pandering' right now, but he's got Mercedes talking about this stuff, and F1, so hopefully the things they're announcing about seeking more diversity bears fruit in the future. They can't all run black livery so it makes sense for them to be the one to present that image at least, imagine if another team beat them to that punch! I hope they keep it all season, I think changing the team colours will feel pretty impactful on the grid, it's a bit different than some of the team sports stuff you see where the bench might be wearing black shirts but the jerseys don't actually change.

Hopefully Mercedes is ready for Austria this year too, after the struggles the last two years. Or else he better kill it on Silverstone's two weekends.

---------------------
Obviously White

spenzalii
10283 posts
Tue Jun-30-20 06:20 AM

21. "If another team did it it may be worse"
In response to Reply # 20

I mean, Lewis is a unicorn. If any team would support BLM in a big way it would have to be Petronas. I don't think you change your car's color scheme for a crew member in Woking. WHatever. It's a good look for the team, symbolic or not, and the car should look sick on track.

As for the race... having the first 2 races on Red Bull's home track does worry me. The last 2 years have not been kind to Mercedes, for sure. But I think if they sorted out their cooling they may have a chance. The next 3 races should be successes if, say, they have one good and one bad race in Austria. Been such a long window between winter testing and now there's no telling where any team is. While the Red Bull Ring may be a better opener for racing than Melbourne, it's anyone's game.

spenzalii
10283 posts
Sat Jul-04-20 06:21 PM

22. "First full practice and quali of the season"
In response to Reply # 0

Felt really weird with nobody in the stands, but just seeing the cars out there was great. Ferrari definitely has problems. Bad aero? No cheater engine? Probably a little of both. Vettel not making Q3 was a bit of a shock.

Those Petronas boys look fast. Like, quite a bit of pace away from the field fast. Not quite 2014 disparity, but definitely it's their race to lose. Racing Point is going to scare the midfield, as they had the pace. Just not quite enough development of the car, so it was fast but Perez and Stroll had to wrestle the car, whereas Mercedes was pretty stable (trick steering notwithstanding). Just wait to see what McLaren can do with Mercedes power next year...

A few more hours to go. Green, Green, Green....

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2712423 Previous topic | Next topic