Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2711483

Subject: "NBA All-Star Game format changing in honor of Kobe (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 03:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NBA All-Star Game format changing in honor of Kobe (swipe)"

and it's the most confusing shit ever

https://apnews.com/d465010625f8118c5fdbf8e05103d21c?fbclid=IwAR3qL-Hc8AbIyMlCfF33_D4aaCYybeRgPm4cB32XJ2oGEFcL64Aebnje0Zw

NBA changing All-Star Game format, adding a Kobe tribute
By TIM REYNOLDS

The NBA announced major changes to the All-Star format on Thursday, turning every quarter into a mini-game for charity before an untimed final quarter with a target score that will decide which team wins. Scores will be reset — back to 0-0 — at the start of the second and third quarters, then restored to begin the fourth quarter.

That’s where the tribute to Bryant and the No. 24 jersey he wore for the last decade of his NBA career comes into play. The team that wins the All-Star Game will be the first to reach a target score, determined by the total points the team in the lead scored in the first three quarters combined — plus 24, the obvious nod to Bryant.

The NBA said there will be multiple tributes to Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna and the seven others who lost their lives in Sunday’s helicopter crash throughout All-Star weekend, including the showcase game on Feb. 16. The target score is just one of them.

“We spent a lot of time considering the right target number to use for the fourth quarter,” said Byron Spruell, the NBA’s president for league operations. “Through the events of this week it became clear to us that the only appropriate number for this season’s All-Star game is 24.”

The target score is the latest addition to the NBA’s quest to make the game more competitive, something that players have wanted for some time.

This is the third year where the NBA has had a format where captains — it’ll be the Los Angeles Lakers’ LeBron James and the Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo in those roles this year, just like last year — get to draft their teams, something that will take place next week.

“We’ve been very focused on making it more competitive, making it more exciting and making it fun,” Spruell said. “And we’ve had a great collaboration with the union. For this year’s game, we really focused on what new things we could do to make it a really competitive game where each quarter mattered in this case.”

It’ll matter to Chicago-area charities, which will benefit from however many quarters Team LeBron and Team Giannis win that night.

The team that has the most points after the first quarter will win $100,000 for its charity. The same will apply to the second and third quarters. The scores get added for the fourth to set the target score — for example, if the score is 100-95 at that point, then the team that wins the All-Star Game will be the first to reach 124.

The target score concept is something that the NBA has been considering since last summer, when National Basketball Players Association president Chris Paul — a big fan of The Basketball Tournament, a winner-take-all $2 million event composed mostly of college alumni teams — reached out to say the league should explore the concept. The Basketball Tournament uses what is called the Elam Ending; the game clock is turned off at the first stoppage with 4:00 or less in the fourth quarter, and the target score there is eight points more than the leading score at the time.

Paul coached in the TBT last season.

“It almost takes us back to when we would play on the playground,” Spruell said. “We’d go up to 15 or 21 or what have you. This time it’ll be 24 with someone hitting a gamewinning shot.”

There’s at least $500,000 for charity at stake from the game alone. Each of the first three quarters is worth $100,000 — if there’s a tie, the money rolls over to the next quarter — and the final score is worth another $200,000. If one team sweeps all four quarters, the other team will receive $100,000 for its charity regardless.

All-Star weekend generates more than $1 million over the three days for Chicago neighborhood non-profit organizations, through the game itself and other events held under the NBA Cares umbrella.

For now, this is a one-year change, though the NBA is hopeful that the quarter-score for charity element and the target-score ending become part of the All-Star Game on a long-term basis.

“If successful, I would imagine we keep it moving,” Spruell said.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: NBA All-Star Game format changing in honor of Kobe (swipe)
Jan 30th 2020
this sounds absolutely awful
Jan 30th 2020
are they gonna play some defense? if not im still out.
Jan 30th 2020
Right, I been out for years and this won't bring me back. RIP KB
Jan 30th 2020
This is Star Wars Christmas Special levels of bad. SMH.
Jan 30th 2020
So, unless I'm misunderstanding this (which is certainly possible)....
Jan 30th 2020
I don't think they want the game to be long
Jan 30th 2020
      But the game moves pretty briskly now
Jan 30th 2020
           I don't see the downside
Jan 31st 2020
What is the point of resetting scores to 0 in the 2nd and 3rd?
Jan 30th 2020
Cool they’re doing something immediately but this seems overly convolu...
Jan 30th 2020
-
Jan 30th 2020
right. I think renaming the All-Star MVP award after him
Jan 31st 2020
The league is doing a really poor job explaining it.
Jan 31st 2020
it's not that complicated, the people explaining it just suck
Jan 31st 2020
So it appears this is just a modified "Elam" ending
Jan 31st 2020
more or less but why reset the scores if cumulative score matters?
Jan 31st 2020
      because it still makes each individual Q more important
Jan 31st 2020
           yeah, small games. if you're coming in off the bench
Jan 31st 2020

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: NBA All-Star Game format changing in honor of Kobe (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

This is too much and tacky, just like the logo idea. A tribute can be done to honor him before and after the game, but this is going way overboard to the point where it dilutes the honor.

You can have something set up where the Kobe 24 allstars vs the Kobe 8 allstars, and then wear jerseys with those numbers on the back with their names on it.

- Pre-game tribute

- halftime show and celebration

- Post Game Closure.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 04:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "this sounds absolutely awful"
In response to Reply # 0

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 04:51 PM

3. "are they gonna play some defense? if not im still out."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Beezo
Charter member
27557 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 07:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Right, I been out for years and this won't bring me back. RIP KB"
In response to Reply # 3

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 05:52 PM

4. "This is Star Wars Christmas Special levels of bad. SMH."
In response to Reply # 0

Just make half court a 5 point line and Alley oops 3 points keep everything else the same.

------------------
One Hundred.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 05:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "So, unless I'm misunderstanding this (which is certainly possible)...."
In response to Reply # 0

...All the team that's leading after three quarters has to do is score 24 points to win?

Like, even during a regular game on a Wednesday night most NBA teams can do that in like eight minutes. During an All-Star Game, where scores are in the 170s, that takes five minutes of play.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 06:01 PM

6. "I don't think they want the game to be long"
In response to Reply # 5

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

mrhood75
44713 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 06:06 PM

7. "But the game moves pretty briskly now"
In response to Reply # 6

Even with the scores in the 170s/180s/190s. It's not like there's many time stoppages due to fouls or for the coaches to draw up plays.

I just don't really see the point of this other than making the final quarter REALLY short.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 06:47 PM

18. "I don't see the downside"
In response to Reply # 7

even if it's short, if you wanted to incentivize defense, this does it.

no possibility of OT, which no one wants

?

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13189 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 06:13 PM

8. "What is the point of resetting scores to 0 in the 2nd and 3rd?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 09:02 PM

10. "Cool they’re doing something immediately but this seems overly convolu..."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

mrhood75
44713 posts
Thu Jan-30-20 09:39 PM

11. "-"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu Jan-30-20 09:40 PM by mrhood75

-

-----------------

www.albumism.com

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 12:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "right. I think renaming the All-Star MVP award after him"

would've been perfect. They can loop in charities in another fashion. This is such a mess.

mrhood75
44713 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 01:16 PM

14. "The league is doing a really poor job explaining it."
In response to Reply # 13

I think when you get into it, it's not as complicated as they're making it sound.

It's just going to make a really short fourth quarter. I'm assuming these guys really don't feel like playing the game given what just happened, so I do understand.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 04:30 PM

17. "it's not that complicated, the people explaining it just suck"

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 06:19 AM

12. "So it appears this is just a modified "Elam" ending"
In response to Reply # 0

https://thecomeback.com/nba/the-elam-ending-is-the-best-thing-to-happen-to-basketball-this-century.html

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 03:38 PM

15. "more or less but why reset the scores if cumulative score matters?"
In response to Reply # 12

this seems rushed and i wouldn't be surprised if the final version is a bit different.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 03:52 PM

16. "because it still makes each individual Q more important"
In response to Reply # 15

and it means each Q will have a 4th Q kind of feel to it.

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Fri Jan-31-20 09:31 PM

19. "yeah, small games. if you're coming in off the bench"
In response to Reply # 16

you can definitely go off and help your team win a quarter, instead of just getting lost in the whole game

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2711483 Previous topic | Next topic