Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2708803

Subject: "Strasburg 7yrs @ $245M..." Previous topic | Next topic
builtfromwax
Member since May 01st 2007
1879 posts
Mon Dec-09-19 03:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Strasburg 7yrs @ $245M..."

...anybody who follows this team knew he wasn't leaving; ESPECIALLY with the way Rizzo values pitching.

i'm hoping that this contract ain't the end for Rendon in a Nats uniform; but if the offer the Nats made isn't good enough...i understand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/09/stephen-strasburg-contract-nationals/

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/stephen-strasburg-deal-with-nationals

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28261102/sources-stephen-strasburg-stays-nats-245m-deal

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
wow
Dec 09th 2019
Too many years for a power arm
Dec 09th 2019
he's not the flame thrower he once was 10 yrs ago...
Dec 10th 2019
^^^all of this^^^
Dec 11th 2019
^
Aug 29th 2023
Dec 09th 2019
not mad. it's baseball.
Dec 09th 2019
Rendon been gone since May
Dec 10th 2019
I think (hope) there's an outside chance Rendon stays
Dec 10th 2019
      I don't think the higher ups want him back
Dec 10th 2019
           No snark
Dec 10th 2019
                It's a legal term of art
Dec 11th 2019
Rendon!!! SEE YOU LLLLLATER!!! signs w/Angels 7yrs/$245M...
Dec 11th 2019
RE: Rendon!!! SEE YOU LLLLLATER!!! signs w/Angels 7yrs/$245M...
Dec 11th 2019
loved Rendon's time in DC
Aug 29th 2023
little did we know Strasburg retired right after the 2019 World Series
Aug 29th 2023
pockets STRAIGHT?
Aug 29th 2023
... And he gets ALLLL his money
Sep 04th 2023

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Mon Dec-09-19 06:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "wow"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't follow baseball closely but I fully expected some asshole team like the Yankees to take him

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Mon Dec-09-19 06:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Too many years for a power arm"
In response to Reply # 0

They will regret this come year 3.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

builtfromwax
1879 posts
Tue Dec-10-19 10:32 AM

5. "he's not the flame thrower he once was 10 yrs ago..."
In response to Reply # 2

...he has much better command of all his pitches. fastballs (which tops out in the mid-hi 90s now), curve ball, change-up and slider. he's not quite finesse, but he doesn't rely on power as he did when he entered the big leagues. the number of different pitches he can throw at any given time w/o relying on gas is his strength now. but if he needs to, he can bring a high heater too.

Verlander and Scherzer are the model for starting pitchers who age well; the Nats believe Strasburg can have the same or better success. especially because he's a teammate of a guy who's 5 yrs into a 7 yr/$215M deal (Scherzer).

if he stays healthy, this contract might be looked at as a bargain toward the end.

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17896 posts
Wed Dec-11-19 10:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "^^^all of this^^^"
In response to Reply # 5

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Aug-29-23 12:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "^"
In response to Reply # 2

the man literally pitched 30 innings after this

--------

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Mon Dec-09-19 07:37 PM

3. "..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-09-19 07:42 PM by Crash Bandacoot

>

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Mon Dec-09-19 08:19 PM

4. "not mad. it's baseball. "
In response to Reply # 0

flags fly forever.

--------

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Tue Dec-10-19 01:03 PM

6. "Rendon been gone since May"
In response to Reply # 0

Glad they brought him back. The way the contract breaks down he went from 4 years with $60 million up front and $40 million deferred to 7 years with $165 up front and $80 million deferred. Shorter deferral window (3 years) than previous big contracts the team has given out and I think this is the first time there was interest on the deferrals.

I feel like Boras was playing this strategically to get Strasburg back and now push the price tag for Cole and some other FAs.

I like the notion of Strasburg being the career guy. He'd need a Curt Schilling type 30s decade to get HOF consideration, but he can strike out 3000 and get his # retired if he stays healthy. It's a good full circle redemption narrative. Though I still have a mental Rolodex of everyone who called him soft and complained about his temperament from 2013 through spring of last season.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18387 posts
Tue Dec-10-19 01:30 PM

7. "I think (hope) there's an outside chance Rendon stays"
In response to Reply # 6

I think people will be surprised when Rendon's deal tops out at like 5 or 6 years. Not one of these mega-long situations we've become accustomed to.

I also think the deferrals in the Strasburg deal aid the possibility of Rendon coming back. Rendon negotiated with the Nats all season long, call me a homer but that leads me to believe at least somewhat that he wants to be here.

If ever they could find a way to bring back BOTH dudes that would be an upset nearly as big as our world series was.

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Tue Dec-10-19 01:49 PM

8. "I don't think the higher ups want him back"
In response to Reply # 7

It was reported that he had a number for a while and the Nats didn't give him the number.

I think it's similar to what happened with Harper. It was a known fact he wanted to set the record for biggest contract. So the team offers him a respectable but not record setting contract...Then he signs somewhere else with a record setting contract. Team didn't think he was worth the price tag. Did it with Jordan Zimmermann too. Feels like a bright line situation with how Rizzo evaluates things.

I imagine Rizzo has been preparing for this departure for a minute. Trade or band aid short contract coming soon. 3B is crazy deep right now.

If they're smart, I hope they're negotiating with Soto right now. He still has 2 years of cost controlled leverage to counter balance open market years. Give him like 10/$275, defer some of it. If Rendon walks and the team announces Soto through 2030, fans will be fine.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Tue Dec-10-19 05:57 PM

9. "No snark"
In response to Reply # 8

>Feels like a bright line situation
>with how Rizzo evaluates things.

What does the phrase 'bright line situation' mean? Haven't come across that term before.

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Wed Dec-11-19 12:29 AM

10. "It's a legal term of art"
In response to Reply # 9

>>Feels like a bright line situation
>>with how Rizzo evaluates things.
>
>What does the phrase 'bright line situation' mean? Haven't
>come across that term before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright-line_rule

As if to say there is no gray area. Only black and white. In the law it is contrasted with a balancing test.

In other words, Mike Rizzo walks into the room and says, "We are willing to give you 4 years at $80 million." The agent says, "Well, we had more in mind." Then Rizzo responds with, "Well, I guess that'll be all then." No back and forth, no negotiating or counter offering. Just: Here it is.

builtfromwax
1879 posts
Wed Dec-11-19 11:02 PM

12. "Rendon!!! SEE YOU LLLLLATER!!! signs w/Angels 7yrs/$245M..."
In response to Reply # 0

...Tony Two Bags secured the bag; the Nats were $30M off.

regardless of who gets brought in, this is a HUGE hole in the 2020 lineup and on the hot corner. this is where the lack depth in the farm system will show. i’m not convinced Kieboom is the answer @ 3B; nor is Luis Garcia; trade or short-term FA is the strongest option.

this is a tough loss.

Call It Anything
10951 posts
Wed Dec-11-19 11:57 PM

13. "RE: Rendon!!! SEE YOU LLLLLATER!!! signs w/Angels 7yrs/$245M..."
In response to Reply # 12

>...Tony Two Bags secured the bag; the Nats were $30M off.

About half the Nats offer was deferred so it was probably more like $60 million off. He wanted Arenado money and damn if he didn't get it. Good for him.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Aug-29-23 12:43 AM

15. "loved Rendon's time in DC"
In response to Reply # 12

but amazingly, his contract has been worse than Pujols as an Angel

--------

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Aug-29-23 12:42 AM

14. "little did we know Strasburg retired right after the 2019 World Series"
In response to Reply # 0

Nats gave him a hell of a parting gift

--------

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Aug-29-23 04:00 PM

17. "pockets STRAIGHT?"
In response to Reply # 14

>Nats gave him a hell of a parting gift

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28846 posts
Mon Sep-04-23 12:34 PM

18. "... And he gets ALLLL his money"
In response to Reply # 14

35 million owed from now to '26 then 26.6 million owed from '27 to '29. Shout out to his agent for accurately projecting his career.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2708803 Previous topic | Next topic