Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2708357

Subject: "Joshua v. Ruiz II" Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Tue Dec-03-19 12:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: Joshua v. Ruiz II"

Fascinating rematch; pivotal crossroad for AJ. If Ruiz bests him again, he'll never be regarded the same. If he wins, perhaps sets up a trilogy (depending on how competitive it is) - or finally may set up the Mega Fight w/ Wilder. Fury-Joshua also would be on the table as an intriguing all-Brit blockbuster.

I'm learning more about the venue selected for the fight - in Saudi Arabia:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50557116

This is an important moment to bring Saudi Arabia into American consciousness for its human rights violations and menacing presence in the region. Questionable selection of a venue IMO - and I think a movement to boycott this fight would stand on solid footing.

Poll result (6 votes)
AJ by (T)KO (0 votes)Vote
Ruiz by (T)KO (4 votes)Vote
AJ by decision (1 votes)Vote
Ruiz by decision (0 votes)Vote
Draw (0 votes)Vote
DQ (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Joshua v. Ruiz II
Dec 05th 2019
I want Ruiz to win, because I like him. But Joshua by KO
Dec 05th 2019
depends on how much Joshua has learned
Dec 05th 2019
I'm not sure if AJ had enough time to change
Dec 05th 2019
I was at the first fight, best live sporting event of my life
Dec 06th 2019
Overreaction
Dec 06th 2019
Joshua: 237lbs / Ruiz: 283lbs (WTF)
Dec 06th 2019
Rounds under 8.5 at -140 looking pretty good to me
Dec 06th 2019
i read this as 238
Dec 06th 2019
I'll be watching the Charlo fight
Dec 06th 2019
I'm surprised by how many are picking Ruiz
Dec 06th 2019
Ruiz might have quickest hands, best combos in division.
Dec 06th 2019
joshua looks thinner and softer like he lost some muscle mass.
Dec 06th 2019
This is the lightest he's been in years coming into a fight
Dec 07th 2019
side note: As gifted as Joshua is, I don't think he loves boxing
Dec 07th 2019
Yup, I could see that being the case
Dec 07th 2019
Yup, I could see that being the case
Dec 07th 2019
This Fela is pretty nice
Dec 07th 2019
Damn he boxed beautifully
Dec 07th 2019
He really did put on a boxing clinic.
Dec 09th 2019
not all that impressed honestly
Dec 09th 2019
Ruiz is trying to diminish AJ's victory..
Dec 09th 2019

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Thu Dec-05-19 08:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Joshua v. Ruiz II"
In response to Reply # 0

Not caring all that much about a rematch. Even if Joshua were to win, this won’t put him back at the top of the HW division. He doesn’t deserve a fight with Fury or Wilder.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Thu Dec-05-19 11:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I want Ruiz to win, because I like him. But Joshua by KO"
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

¨Your mother is Colin Powell¨ - Lurkmode

www.Tupreme.com

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Thu Dec-05-19 01:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "depends on how much Joshua has learned"
In response to Reply # 0

if he stops admiring the punches he lands expecting Ruiz to fall over, and follows up or at least is ready for the punches coming back, he should be favored to win

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Thu Dec-05-19 09:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I'm not sure if AJ had enough time to change"
In response to Reply # 0

What needed to be corrected in order to win this. I'm thinking Ruiz

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Fri Dec-06-19 02:01 AM

5. "I was at the first fight, best live sporting event of my life"
In response to Reply # 0

What a night that was

If Joshua doesn’t find a jab, use distance, and work combinations then he may be toast. Greater than Ruiz’s power is his hand speed, he’s shockingly fast for his frame.

Going to Saudi Arabia is so chickenshit. To me it feels like a way to grab cash and protect Joshua at the same time - have their cake and eat it too. No big pressure to perform in front of a raucous partisan crowd (which hurt him at MSG), and no need to be accountable to a curious media (who likely won’t make the trip in big numbers).
And that’s before you even consider how awful it is in general. For all of these reasons I hope Ruiz plays spoiler again and bursts the bubbles of Eddie Hearn and Anthony Joshua once more.

I’ve done a 180 on Joshua and have realized he isn’t made of the same stuff Fury and Wilder are made of. I don’t even think a victorious outcome in this fight will change that opinion. He’s fragile in spirit.

S_Ali
Charter member
1479 posts
Fri Dec-06-19 09:57 AM

6. "Overreaction"
In response to Reply # 0

Is what we tend to do when it comes to sports, specifically boxing. There's a part of me that wants to say no matter what happens Joshua is chinny and the last person he wants to fight is Deontay Wilder. The fight has now lost its luster. But Deontay Wilder, owner of the most destructible right hand ever, is just a knockdown away from having a loss on his record. The other part remembers that upsets happen in boxing. Especially when men weighing way over 200 pounds are competing and one of them lands a solid punch. People wanted to write off Lennox Lewis when he was stopped by Oliver McCall. And subsequently by Hasim Rahman. Lennox is a Top 5 Heavyweight of All Time as far as I'm concerned. So what he does not have an iron chin.

Joshua is sti We've seen him hurt several times and we've seen him come back to stop people several times. He has to feel like his career is at a crossroads and I expect to see the best of him this weekend. As for the future, we will just have to wait and see. ll young and can improve. I expect him to beat Ruiz decisively

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Fri Dec-06-19 11:04 AM

7. "Joshua: 237lbs / Ruiz: 283lbs (WTF)"
In response to Reply # 0

Is Ruiz banking on Joshua trying to come inside, where he can bully AJ?

Kungset
6426 posts
Fri Dec-06-19 03:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Rounds under 8.5 at -140 looking pretty good to me"
In response to Reply # 7

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Fri Dec-06-19 05:01 PM

10. "i read this as 238"
In response to Reply # 7

i was confused lol

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Fri Dec-06-19 11:38 AM

8. "I'll be watching the Charlo fight"
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Dec-06-19 06:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I'm surprised by how many are picking Ruiz"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-06-19 06:13 PM by Vex_id

Many are questioning AJ's resolve - and understandably so. He really didn't look like he wanted to be anywhere near that first fight.

But I just don't see Ruiz striking gold again. Joshua seems to have had a really committed camp, cutting down to a very efficient and built-for-speed physique - and seemingly more focused on endurance (his stamina has been poor).

Also - with so much $ at play in this fight ($50 millions USD site fee in Saudi Arabia?!) - it seems that if there ever was a time where a guy could be goaded into taking a fall, this would be the night lol.

Whether by crook or hook - I got Joshua.

-->

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Fri Dec-06-19 08:09 PM

12. "Ruiz might have quickest hands, best combos in division."
In response to Reply # 0

I think AJ overrated and Ruiz underrated.
Whoever wins controls the landscape of the division.
Seems like Ruiz won and got straight back to work.
He better get the KO though... cause if it goes to cards...
He prolly gets fucked even if he won convincingly despite no KO.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Soldado
Member since Apr 13th 2006
572 posts
Fri Dec-06-19 08:56 PM

13. "joshua looks thinner and softer like he lost some muscle mass."
In response to Reply # 0

his face looks kinda depleted and drawn out too.

i wonder what the story is there.

---

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sat Dec-07-19 12:54 PM

15. "This is the lightest he's been in years coming into a fight"
In response to Reply # 13

He changed up his camp pretty dramatically - and focused more on endurance interval training and long heavy-bag sessions (45 mins. on average).

I actually think this will be bode well for him in this fight. He'll be quicker both on his feet and w/ his combinations.

-->

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sat Dec-07-19 12:19 PM

14. "side note: As gifted as Joshua is, I don't think he loves boxing"
In response to Reply # 0

I think he loves the scale of boxing on the biggest stage - the gladiator glitter - and the pomp and circumstance surrounding a mega HW championship bout.

I fully expect him to avenge his loss today - but I don't know that he will have the resolve and desire to wage a long title reign - especially when/if he runs into a guy like Wilder who has both the gift & the will.

-->

snacks
5814 posts
Sat Dec-07-19 04:15 PM

"Yup, I could see that being the case"

The Brand Pod

The Life Pod

snacks
5814 posts
Sat Dec-07-19 04:15 PM

17. "Yup, I could see that being the case"
In response to Reply # 14

The Brand Pod

The Life Pod

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Sat Dec-07-19 04:06 PM

16. "This Fela is pretty nice"
In response to Reply # 0

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

snacks
5814 posts
Sat Dec-07-19 05:10 PM

18. "Damn he boxed beautifully"
In response to Reply # 0

Much respect to him. He came and did what he was supposed to do. Whether he can "dig deep" when necessary is still a question, but preparing yourself in a way where you don't have to is an elite strategy.

You called it Vex

The Brand Pod

The Life Pod

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Dec-09-19 10:16 AM

19. "He really did put on a boxing clinic. "
In response to Reply # 18

I know that some people are going to be upset at the performance because they wanted to see a knockout - but this was a really impressive performance by AJ, showing versatility and unleashing a new layer of skillset that we hadn't seen before. He boxed circles around Ruiz (although that wasn't necessarily a tall order considering Ruiz was woefully out of shape, even for his standards).

But the way AJ remained steadfast and disciplined in his gameplan was very impressive. It reminded me of the days when Steward took the helm for Lewis and/or Wlad Klitschko - transforming them from sluggers to exquisitely disciplined purveyors of the sweet science.

I actually think AJ's chances against Wilder raised after this fight - because it's plausible that he could replicate what Fury did in terms of boxing masterclass - though I still think Wilder's will, range, and historic punching power will win the day. But I greatly respected the science AJ displayed against Ruiz, who didn't stand a chance against this version of AJ.

-->

Kungset
6426 posts
Mon Dec-09-19 10:43 AM

20. "not all that impressed honestly"
In response to Reply # 0

he had a good gameplan against an out-of-shape smaller boxer. he's gonna have to dig deep again and find another gameplan vs Wilder/Fury, because that diving in for a clinch shit is not going to work against a taller fighter

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Mon Dec-09-19 11:05 AM

21. "Ruiz is trying to diminish AJ's victory.."
In response to Reply # 0

When AJ lost he gave Ruiz all the credit then went in the gym. Ruiz is making excuses and it sucks.

Johnny Nelson said it best Ruiz doesn't deserve a rematch because he prepared for this but AJ stopped him.

This is a classic match that I've rewatched three times..

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2708357 Previous topic | Next topic