Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2706961

Subject: "High Noon in ratings trouble again/ End of the Rydholm era at ESPN" Previous topic | Next topic
anysenserobbed
Member since Mar 01st 2003
531 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 10:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"High Noon in ratings trouble again/ End of the Rydholm era at ESPN"

I noticed that the ESPN website and smart tv portals had bumped High Noon off the list of shows that you can watch later. Apparently it's being "focus grouped" to determine who is actual audience for the show.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/07/espn-caught-in-strategic-limbo-in-disney-move-to-streaming.html

The show has already had a rocky start after being moved into the afternoon slot and being cut from an hour to a half hour. From Bomani's podcasts it seems like he's getting more elegiac about the future of the tv show and starting to pivot to the next stage of his career.

Where do you think ESPN heads next with its non-live sports programming? It seems like Rydholm made a bet that the future of the talking head stuff on the network would be young, smart, hip, and diverse. Since John Skipper got canned (and 45 got elected) the network has gotten a lot more conservative and a lot less ambitious. Jemele Hill and Michael Smith are gone; Bob Ley retired; Dan Lebatard is taking 6 weeks off in the middle of the football season.

At some point Kornheiser and Papi are too old to put on TV and you can only give Steven A. Smith so many jobs.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the LeBatard thing seemed like a weird detail to include...
Nov 13th 2019
RE: the LeBatard thing seemed like a weird detail to include...
Nov 13th 2019
      you're not wrong...
Nov 13th 2019
Yeah, not sure your general point is correct
Nov 13th 2019
RE: not sure if Bo's act is wearing off or if it's not being used right
Nov 13th 2019
CC was fired from FS1
Nov 13th 2019
everything I peeped...
Nov 13th 2019
Washington Post with an article today about the future of High Noon
Nov 13th 2019
show sucks
Nov 13th 2019
the show was trash and Pablo was annoying
Nov 13th 2019
^ i really wanted to love it but it's dry like bad white meat chicken
Nov 13th 2019
      yeah...and I really like them both, individually...
Nov 13th 2019
           Co-sign this...
Nov 13th 2019
                Same here
Nov 13th 2019
RE: High Noon in ratings trouble again/ End of the Rydholm era at ESPN
Nov 13th 2019
if you want to hear some really good football analysis...
Nov 13th 2019
      RE: if you want to hear some really good football analysis...
Nov 13th 2019
           you talking about their show, Morning Roast...
Nov 13th 2019
           Mina and Dominique need a show
Nov 14th 2019
Is anything dumber than “doubling down on highlights?”
Nov 13th 2019
RE: I get the sense that people really love SVP
Nov 13th 2019
      People that have been out all evening and haven’t had a chance...
Nov 13th 2019
           Baldy's Breakdowns on twitter > ESPNs entire programming
Nov 14th 2019
aren't y'all the same people who pooh-pooh desus and mero?
Nov 13th 2019
it’s the only one of the 4 I listen to in podcast form daily.
Nov 14th 2019
      I think there are a lot of people this is true about
Nov 14th 2019
           That's about the size of it to me
Nov 21st 2019
                the metrics are always whatever someone high up wants them to be
Nov 21st 2019
                     Yea, if the decision has been made NOTHING we speculate will change
Nov 21st 2019
Bomani will be just fine.. not sure about try hard Pablo tho
Nov 14th 2019
right the "smart asian guy that went to Harvard" shtick only goes so far
Nov 14th 2019
RE: Pablo brings the reporting background
Nov 14th 2019
      you seem to think you know how things work
Nov 14th 2019
cancelled. last episode airs in March. was good while it lasted
Feb 24th 2020
Feb 25th 2020
I pretty much agree with everything you said and that is rare lol...
Feb 25th 2020
      y'all literally agree every day
Feb 25th 2020
Pablo Torre is bland and condescending, not for TV. Bomani is great.
Feb 25th 2020
its hard to pull off the debate format with bomani
Feb 25th 2020
This. All of this.
Feb 25th 2020
yes, yes and yes...
Feb 25th 2020
Mina Kimes probably would have been a better fit
Feb 25th 2020
Bomani is an asshole. Period.
Feb 25th 2020
LOL, yep...I really think they stopped bringing him on ...
Feb 25th 2020
Bomani and Dan were the perfect pairing
Feb 26th 2020
the thing that bothered me about Pablo
Feb 25th 2020
yeah i'll never get the point of that little dude
Feb 25th 2020
Bo needs to rework his gimmick a bit if he wants to lead a tv show
Feb 25th 2020
completely agreed.. Evening Jones still the best thng he does
Feb 25th 2020
sucks
Feb 25th 2020
Mar 05th 2020
on this you're absolutely correct
Mar 14th 2020
and Rachel Nichols gives way too much of HER opinion these days...
Mar 09th 2020
Her opinion holds more weight than most, men included
Mar 09th 2020
no in the traditional role the host is supposed to set up the talent..
Mar 10th 2020
....what
Mar 10th 2020
why did you capitalize her...I mean I know why, but explain...
Mar 11th 2020
      I explained what I meant in post #55
Mar 14th 2020
Also they should never let Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman...
Mar 20th 2020
and....LeBatard Show is out...
Dec 03rd 2020
Good, hopefully ATH gets knock too, outside of PTI that whole genre...
Dec 04th 2020
100% facts. These shows drying up is long overdue
Dec 04th 2020
Right, the success of PTI made them want to duplicate that, Stat boy...
Dec 04th 2020
Stephen A is the E in ESPN. he got the network on his back.
Dec 04th 2020
      yeah...I had thrown out a recommendation...
Dec 04th 2020
           great guy but still doesn't know shit about football and baseball but...
Dec 04th 2020
                cuz the network want him to, lol...
Dec 04th 2020
                     right I think a lot of it now is budget related, especially during the.....
Dec 04th 2020
Good?
Dec 04th 2020
none of this has anything to do with the DLS, though...
Dec 04th 2020
RE: and....LeBatard Show is out...
Dec 04th 2020
      you right, I remember him saying that...
Dec 04th 2020
LeBatard and Skipper forming their own media company...
Jan 22nd 2021
He's making up for all the years he couldn't mention Trump
Jan 22nd 2021
Get Up is pretty good imo
May 06th 2021
Yep…I’ve always enjoyed GU…
May 06th 2021
Nov 10th 2023

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the LeBatard thing seemed like a weird detail to include..."
In response to Reply # 0

He took time off for a pre-wedding honeymoon, which they basically turned into a bit on the show, while he was gone. He then returned to a serious family emergency which had people speculating on who was sick...and folks spotting him at the hospital and taking pictures for Redit discussions. The show is as strong as ever, though.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

anysenserobbed
531 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: the LeBatard thing seemed like a weird detail to include..."
In response to Reply # 1

I dunno. I get that there was a family emergency but a 5 week pre-wedding honeymoon in the middle of the busiest part of the sports calendar seems like both a flex and a sign that he's kind of checked out at this point.

I put the long vacation in the context of his speech during the summer when he rightfully called out the network for not doing anything after the "send them back" chants at the trump rally. He clearly doesn't like the direction the network is heading, had his "art of the conversation" show bomb, and is kind of just muddling along on Highly Questionable

The radio show is still very good and he's put on some of the most important rising talents that the has (Bo, Pablo, Mina, Dominique, Spain) but Dan is pretty clearly mailing it in and is looking to do something else to do at this point.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "you're not wrong..."
In response to Reply # 5

I've gathered over the years from listening as much as I have that he's is building towards an exit...but wanted to leave a foundation. He's talked about it...vaguely. The LeBatard and Friends Podcast network...where he's got all these folks (like you mentioned...Mina Kimes, Sara Spain, Marty Smith, his own pod, Stupodity, putting Mike Ryan out in the forefront) under one family, selling merch, etc.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Yeah, not sure your general point is correct"
In response to Reply # 0

ESPN is definitely riding Stephen A, sure MAGA has been appeased
a bit, but the High Noon situation is more about Bomani's act
sorta wearing off. He'll very obviously be fine, but if woulda
asked the average person 5 years ago we'd thought he'd be the
face of the network. There's just something about the act that
hasn't grown (this is not a shot)

anysenserobbed
531 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:48 AM

8. "RE: not sure if Bo's act is wearing off or if it's not being used right"
In response to Reply # 2

Pablo is clearly just along for the ride and High Noon is Bo's show for all intents and purposes so he should take a good amount of the blame for the show not working.

I don't think anyone expected him to be the face of the network but II think he's a bit hamstrung in a "stick to sports" format. The longform interviews with rappers and the stuff he does with Spencer Hall on the sociology around college football is the type of stuff that someone should be trying to be making work on TV with him. It would probably make sense to do something with HBO or Netflix on a digital platform.

Put another way, if he's still doing a 2 man show 5 years from now where he's yelling with a white dude about whether Dallas cowboys will make the playoffs that will be mad disappointing.

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:27 AM

3. "CC was fired from FS1"
In response to Reply # 0

Over a serious matter but still can't find what it was. Not related to ESPN but thought would ask here to see if anyone heard why.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:32 AM

4. "everything I peeped..."
In response to Reply # 3

he objected (vehemently) to the fact that he wasn't on TNF coverage and it was done right in his building...but, they brought in Tony Gonzalez. It was a big blow up and they told him to go home and chill.

anysenserobbed
531 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:40 AM

6. "Washington Post with an article today about the future of High Noon"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/13/high-noon-sticks-out-espn-will-espn-stick-it-out-with-high-noon/

Interesting quotes

But ESPN has a coming decision to make about “High Noon.” Both hosts have contracts that expire in early spring, and the network is now testing the show in front of focus groups. Negotiations will soon heat up in earnest and observers both inside and outside ESPN are deeply curious about the outcome.

There are other potential options for Jones and Torre. FS1 is suddenly looking for a morning host to replace Cris Carter, which might suit Jones. And HBO, the anchor of the new WarnerMedia’s new streaming service, could have interest, as might CNN, under the same umbrella. The Athletic could also be a home for either to write and for Jones to host his podcast.

ESPN, meanwhile, is always seeking to balance audience flow and the ratio of commentary to highlights across an entire day of programming, as well as on other platforms across the company. Executives like to point out that “OTL” will continue to air Saturday mornings with daily branded segments on “SportsCenter,” and the company just launched a daily podcast, which aspires to an elevated conversation and is hosted by journalist Mina Kimes. ESPN executives both like and appreciate the voices of Jones and Torre in their current roles and the other work they’ve done — Torre wrote for years for ESPN the Magazine and Jones has written for the website, was a radio host and continues to host a podcast.

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:52 AM

9. "show sucks"
In response to Reply # 0

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:55 AM

10. "the show was trash and Pablo was annoying"
In response to Reply # 0

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 12:05 PM

11. "^ i really wanted to love it but it's dry like bad white meat chicken"
In response to Reply # 10

<--- Big Baller World Order

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 12:15 PM

12. "yeah...and I really like them both, individually..."
In response to Reply # 11

I can't fool with the show, though. It's bad. LeBatard has said it about 5 times, that I can remember...Bomani is the best at the entire network of creating content. He doesn't need a partner, a producer or anything just give him a topic. I think he's great on the Right Time pod and the one on one interviews he does are dope.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22286 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 03:14 PM

14. "Co-sign this..."
In response to Reply # 12

>I can't fool with the show, though. It's bad. LeBatard has
>said it about 5 times, that I can remember...Bomani is the
>best at the entire network of creating content. He doesn't
>need a partner, a producer or anything just give him a topic.
>I think he's great on the Right Time pod and the one on one
>interviews he does are dope.

I like both of these cats individually and I was really hoping the show would be really good. Unfortunately, I just can't get into it the way that I had hoped.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 11:20 PM

22. "Same here"
In response to Reply # 14

From the few shows I've seen, Bomani and Pablo seem to come down on the same side of issues alot. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But unlike Mike and Jemele or even Tony and Mike, there isn't enough contrast between the two. When I watch the show, once one half of the duo speaks, it seems like the real discussion is over and the other half sometimes adds a different nuance but the follow up take is basically the same.

Also, while they're both exceedingly brilliant and intelligent, their personalities don't mesh well on TV. I personally favor Pablo more than Bomani but that being said I don't ever seeing myself tuning in just to hear Pablo talk.

Pablo to me is great on PTI and on the times he's been on Highly Questionable. His charisma isn't as a lead, but he's a great compliment to someone with a big personality, like LeBatard.

Bomani's personality to me doesn't come across on TV as much as it does on his podcast. Maybe he feels neutered by the standards on TV versus his podcast but his personality as well seems best suited to being a compliment to someone charismatic, at least on TV.

It would be disappointing for the show to fail. They both offer an intelligence and subtlety which isn't very common on any of the talking head shows. And seeing two POC let go, especially ones as smart as they are, isn't a good look for anyone.

But I could see the show ending as beneficial for the two of them. Maybe Pablo goes back to writing and carves out some type of space for his high-quality writing. Maybe Bomani goes to The Athletic or some other outlet where he can do more than 'stick to sports'.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 03:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "RE: High Noon in ratings trouble again/ End of the Rydholm era at ESPN"
In response to Reply # 0

High Noon was best with Bomani and Michael Smith. Domonique Foxworth was a great guest but he never paired up with Bomani, just Pablo. Mina Kimes was also great, but only appeared with Pablo.

About a month ago, Bomani had a couple of shows where he wasn't into it. Felt like something was up then.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 03:23 PM

15. "if you want to hear some really good football analysis..."
In response to Reply # 13

listen to Mina's podcast when she has Nique on. They are both so damn smart and vibe really well.

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 03:44 PM

16. "RE: if you want to hear some really good football analysis..."
In response to Reply # 15

>listen to Mina's podcast when she has Nique on. They are
>both so damn smart and vibe really well.

Well Mina and Nique did do a football podcast together for a period of time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 10:54 PM

21. "you talking about their show, Morning Roast..."
In response to Reply # 16

with them and Clinton Yates, that used to come on Sunday mornings?

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Nov-14-19 06:34 PM

30. "Mina and Dominique need a show "
In response to Reply # 16

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 03:53 PM

17. "Is anything dumber than “doubling down on highlights?”"
In response to Reply # 0

Who watches Sportscenter in 2019?

I agree that I would like to see Bo and Pablo in different roles.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

anysenserobbed
531 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 04:34 PM

18. "RE: I get the sense that people really love SVP"
In response to Reply # 17

That late night Sportscenter really does numbers. I think for the same reasons that Bill Simmons Podcast is so dominant (and to a lesser extent, Rusillo). Has the Generation X, suburban, white dad market on lock.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 07:47 PM

20. "People that have been out all evening and haven’t had a chance..."
In response to Reply # 18

to watch any sports want to see highlights, it’s really not rocket science.

The talking heads spouting off random opinions formula is played out. You can get that at your local sports bar.

The Sports Reporters was an awesome show as was PTI initially. But then ESPN started grabbing random guys with no sports journalism background and started throwing them on tv yelling at each other and they ran that shit into the ground.

I’d rather hear actual players talk about the game and tell stories. The football/basketball/baseball shows with former players are the best. I love the Players Tribune Knuckheads stuff and could watch that all day but I’d rather it stay in podcast/YouTube mode because it keeps it raw.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Nov-14-19 06:53 AM

25. "Baldy's Breakdowns on twitter > ESPNs entire programming"
In response to Reply # 20

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 05:21 PM

19. "aren't y'all the same people who pooh-pooh desus and mero?"
In response to Reply # 0

*shrug* it's the only espn show I watch.

it might get cancelled, it was developed under the previous regime, that's how things go.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Thu Nov-14-19 12:13 AM

23. "it’s the only one of the 4 I listen to in podcast form daily."
In response to Reply # 19

Don’t watch any of them cause at work.
I like Bomani pod a lot, his one with Preemo this week was great.

I wish Dan and the crew could go to HBO
and just do a show about whatever lol, no filter what so ever.

Like someone said above, Dan has created the lebatard & friends
network because so many people work with him on the show
and knowing Dan personality there’s no way he could just walk away
from all of them without having them them all up set up and taken care of first.

Know this about Bomani & Pablo but do we know if Dan’s people okay?

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Nov-14-19 05:20 AM

24. "I think there are a lot of people this is true about"
In response to Reply # 23

is that going to be enough ot keep it on?

idk.

but I think people read these reports about shows and stuff and view it through the lens of their own jobs, and the fact is in media there is no job/show security.

if somebody wants to keep you on, your numbers will be good enough. if they don't, your performance will never ever be good enough. it ain't about that.

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 11:18 AM

31. "That's about the size of it to me "
In response to Reply # 24

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 04:08 PM

32. "the metrics are always whatever someone high up wants them to be"
In response to Reply # 31

and that's all it takes.

we had a work retreat with everyone together for the first time in years, I landed back in michigan and our eic had been fired.

our numbers were great.

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Thu Nov-21-19 04:23 PM

33. "Yea, if the decision has been made NOTHING we speculate will change"
In response to Reply # 32

That in anyway.

So we enjoy what we have/had and keep it moving.

I love Highly Questionable, but I also recognize that Papi is old, and Dan is generally on the right side of history when he leaves the realm of sports. At somepoint he'll want to have something that fits what he wants.

Bo is similar, dude will be straight wherever he goes, as long as he doesn't end up somewhere near Jason Whitlock.

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

Amritsar
32093 posts
Thu Nov-14-19 09:02 AM

26. "Bomani will be just fine.. not sure about try hard Pablo tho"
In response to Reply # 0

like what is the point of this little dude

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Nov-14-19 09:59 AM

27. "right the "smart asian guy that went to Harvard" shtick only goes so far"
In response to Reply # 26

anysenserobbed
531 posts
Thu Nov-14-19 12:21 PM

28. "RE: Pablo brings the reporting background"
In response to Reply # 26

I think it does matter that there is a real live shoe leather reporter on the show. It plays well with the higher ups in the company and buys credibility among the people who write about the show in other outlets.

He's goofy and self consciously selling on the overbearing intellectual caricature but when the show is good he does push Bomani to make the best version of his arguments in a way that not many other folks on TV can do. The best example of that is the conversation they had about race and the sports analytics movement.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Nov-14-19 03:59 PM

29. "you seem to think you know how things work"
In response to Reply # 28

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Feb-24-20 09:02 PM

34. "cancelled. last episode airs in March. was good while it lasted"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-24-20 09:13 PM by Rjcc

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1232114133589536769

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 08:06 AM

35. "RE: High Noon in ratings trouble again/ End of the Rydholm era at ESPN"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-25-20 08:22 AM by allStah

I tried to watch the show several times, but it was too much of a replication of PTI, but
lacking personality, and I’m not that huge of a PTI fan. The platform is focused more on debating and less on discussion. Also, the show has a very arrogant tone to it, especially in how they deliver their dialogue, thinking they know more than everyone else. It’s cut from that LeBatard or highly questionable cloth (another show that I dislike). Those shows that have absolute takes, and that no other takes matter. Too subjective.

I watch The Jump, Jalen and Jacoby, and I can stomach PTI. What makes Jalen and Jacoby work so well is that their show is a combination of debate and discussion. The communication is balanced. They are not barking at each other, and they are not just going along for the ride either.

I grew up listening to sports radio and still listen to sports radio, as well as watching the sports reporter on espn. The debates and discussions are and were more in depth, and not just aggressive 1-2 minute hot takes, and they didn’t and don’t take shots at each other.

Highly Questionable, Around the Horn, PTI, and High Noon are all the same thing, where they give these quick hot takes in a certain amount of time, and they all come on right after each other. Sooner or later the audience is going to get bored or disinterested , and that’s going to lead to shows getting cancelled or left out because of overcrowding of shows that all do the same thing.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 09:46 AM

37. "I pretty much agree with everything you said and that is rare lol..."
In response to Reply # 35

>I tried to watch the show several times, but it was too much
>of a replication of PTI, but
>lacking personality, and I’m not that huge of a PTI fan. The
>platform is focused more on debating and less on discussion.
>Also, the show has a very arrogant tone to it, especially in
>how they deliver their dialogue, thinking they know more than
>everyone else. It’s cut from that LeBatard or highly
>questionable cloth (another show that I dislike). Those shows
>that have absolute takes, and that no other takes matter. Too
>subjective.
>
>I watch The Jump, Jalen and Jacoby, and I can stomach PTI.
>What makes Jalen and Jacoby work so well is that their show is
>a combination of debate and discussion. The communication is
>balanced. They are not barking at each other, and they are not
>just going along for the ride either.
>
>I grew up listening to sports radio and still listen to sports
>radio, as well as watching the sports reporter on espn. The
>debates and discussions are and were more in depth, and not
>just aggressive 1-2 minute hot takes, and they didn’t and
>don’t take shots at each other.
>
>Highly Questionable, Around the Horn, PTI, and High Noon are
>all the same thing, where they give these quick hot takes in a
>certain amount of time, and they all come on right after each
>other. Sooner or later the audience is going to get bored or
>disinterested , and that’s going to lead to shows getting
>cancelled or left out because of overcrowding of shows that
>all do the same thing.
>
>
>

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 05:04 PM

43. "y'all literally agree every day"
In response to Reply # 37

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 09:42 AM

36. "Pablo Torre is bland and condescending, not for TV. Bomani is great."
In response to Reply # 0

There needs to be a better way to showcase Bomani's starpower.

Pablo Torre is a writer, point blank.

The show didn't feel cool and there was no chemistry between the two. The tone in the studio seemed uptight. The show sucked.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 12:53 PM

38. "its hard to pull off the debate format with bomani"
In response to Reply # 36
Tue Feb-25-20 12:53 PM by Reeq

because its so one sided and he is so far above his colleagues in terms of knowledge.

plus his aggressive/assertive style makes the other person seem even smaller and more meek.

dude comes equipped to win arguments. his colleagues usually come equipped to fill space between commercials.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 01:42 PM

40. "This. All of this."
In response to Reply # 38
Tue Feb-25-20 01:44 PM by LeroyBumpkin

That's why the best episodes of his podcast The Right Time are when he has guests that can challenge him. The episodes with Dominique Foxworth and Howard Bryant come to mind.

https://digife.com

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 05:42 PM

45. "yes, yes and yes..."
In response to Reply # 40

the episode he did with Vinnie Goodwill, from Yahoo right after Kobe died was some of the best radio I've ever heard.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 05:58 PM

48. "Mina Kimes probably would have been a better fit"
In response to Reply # 38

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 02:55 PM

41. "Bomani is an asshole. Period."

I really fux with him, but he's a dick, so no one is gonna work WELL with him (outside of LeBatard)

He was best on Around The Horn because he got to shoot his shots but it was just in tidbits so he didn't visibly rub people the wrong way (besides Plaschke).

On HQ, the only reason that he worked with LeBatard is that Dan was so jovial and chill that if he felt like Bo was cooking he'd just fall back and let him cook and then just laugh where appropriate.

Outside of those instances, I can't see Bomani NOT clashing with someone. BUT, maybe if that other person was also black, Bo might fall back some. But then, will the average viewer watch TWO black talking heads? With the way ESPN is going lately, probably not.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 05:41 PM

44. "LOL, yep...I really think they stopped bringing him on ..."
In response to Reply # 41

Around the Horn, because he used to come in and let it ring on the entire show...especially in the beginning.

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Wed Feb-26-20 10:20 AM

50. "Bomani and Dan were the perfect pairing"
In response to Reply # 41

They are both smart dudes and Dan didn't let his ego get in the way of letting Bomani breath.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 05:04 PM

42. "the thing that bothered me about Pablo"

is his tendency of overreliance on the royal "we think" "we did" "we"

for stuff that only a small group of people actually think.

it undermined any point he was trying to make and came off as a bit lazy

Amritsar
32093 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 05:51 PM

46. "yeah i'll never get the point of that little dude"

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 01:42 PM

39. "Bo needs to rework his gimmick a bit if he wants to lead a tv show"
In response to Reply # 0

At least if he’s gonna do the talking head thing. More entertainment, less being a know it all and wanting to win every argument. It’s fine to be like that on the radio show. I listen to nearly every episode unless he has a guest on Thursday I’m not interested in.

Also I’d like to see him take a crack at TV outside of the espn bubble. He has a lot more to offer than just sports chatter

Amritsar
32093 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 05:52 PM

47. "completely agreed.. Evening Jones still the best thng he does"
In response to Reply # 39

Right Time is obviously dope too and he should stick with the podcasting format

But i wouldn't be mad at all at an Evening Jones tv format

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Feb-25-20 08:35 PM

49. "sucks"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Thu Mar-05-20 05:21 PM

51. "RE: High Noon in ratings trouble again/ End of the Rydholm era at ESPN"
In response to Reply # 0

Jones and jacoby actually works!

The show is way more interesting with Jacoby on here.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Sat Mar-14-20 04:22 AM

57. "on this you're absolutely correct"
In response to Reply # 51

it's funny how bomani's thing went better when there was someone actually bouncing back

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Mar-09-20 07:12 PM

52. "and Rachel Nichols gives way too much of HER opinion these days..."
In response to Reply # 0

and the “trade crank” made think I was watching Sesame Street

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Mon Mar-09-20 08:32 PM

53. "Her opinion holds more weight than most, men included"
In response to Reply # 52

She's been doing this for a long time and has an inside line. There are only a handful of media people working the NBA beat with her access. She's earned the right to give her opinion as much as she wants.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Mar-10-20 06:47 AM

55. "no in the traditional role the host is supposed to set up the talent.."
In response to Reply # 53

e.i. players/coaches/commentators to offer their “expert” opinion.

She often steps on other people’s points trying to get her’s in but that’s not how it should work but this PTH/AHN/High Noon mentality has fostered that. She looks at Windhorst quadruple chin having, never bounced a ball in his life ass sitting up and thinks if he can be an “expert” so can I.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Mar-10-20 04:09 AM

54. "....what"

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Mar-11-20 02:56 PM

56. "why did you capitalize her...I mean I know why, but explain..."

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Mar-14-20 11:57 AM

58. "I explained what I meant in post #55"
In response to Reply # 56

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Mar-20-20 05:53 PM

59. "Also they should never let Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman..."
In response to Reply # 0

talk about football.

Stephen A should stick to basketball and Kellerman needs to go back to boxing.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Thu Dec-03-20 11:09 PM

60. "and....LeBatard Show is out..."
In response to Reply # 0

last show January 4th. It’s been coming for so long. Chris Cote being fired was the last straw. You could tell Dan checked all the way out. Hopefully they got to Spotify, like Jemele did. I’m a little worried about how it might look. What intellectual property they get to keep. Will everyone go with Dan? How long before they can do certain segments or have regular guests on who are still employed by ESPN....like Kurkijan, Dominique, Mina, etc.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 08:03 AM

61. "Good, hopefully ATH gets knock too, outside of PTI that whole genre..."
In response to Reply # 60

that it spawned of sports writers yelling their opinions is trash. The OG Sports Reporters are rolling over in their proverbial graves.

Stephen A and Max need to go to or scaled back to their original area of expertise.

Fire Dan Orlavsky outright. He’s terrible. I don’t know who Mike Greenberg is related to and why he has a show.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 08:59 AM

62. "100% facts. These shows drying up is long overdue"
In response to Reply # 61

PTI is the exception, not the norm. And it works because of the impossible-to-replicate rapport of its two stars, not the format.

I always find it funny how egotistical these ESPN personalities are. Somewhere on the way up they've forgotten that ESPN exists because of the sports themselves, not people who talk about them.

That said, I think Stephen A is legitimately great. Far more cerebral than he lets on and has a vicious work ethic. He's made a shtick of going for the easiest and most obvious takes of late, but overall I think he's somehow the only guy I care about hearing from.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 10:46 AM

67. "Right, the success of PTI made them want to duplicate that, Stat boy..."
In response to Reply # 62

even got his own show and I'm trying to figure out how and why.

>PTI is the exception, not the norm. And it works because of
>the impossible-to-replicate rapport of its two stars, not the
>format.
>
>I always find it funny how egotistical these ESPN
>personalities are. Somewhere on the way up they've forgotten
>that ESPN exists because of the sports themselves, not people
>who talk about them.
>
>That said, I think Stephen A is legitimately great. Far more
>cerebral than he lets on and has a vicious work ethic. He's
>made a shtick of going for the easiest and most obvious takes
>of late, but overall I think he's somehow the only guy I care
>about hearing from.

I like Stephen A talking about NBA basketball. I don't like him talking about anything else. I like Max talking about boxing and nothing else.

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 10:49 AM

68. "Stephen A is the E in ESPN. he got the network on his back."
In response to Reply # 62

i have a friend that works at ESPN and he said whatever you think you know about Stephen A just from hearing him on TV, throw it out. he might be better at the behind the scenes stuff than being entertaining on TV and he's ELITE at that. nothing but stellar things to say about SAS

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 11:06 AM

69. "yeah...I had thrown out a recommendation..."
In response to Reply # 68
Fri Dec-04-20 11:26 AM by Dstl1

for people on here, back in the summer...to catch his interview on LeBatard's South Beach Sessions. Dude talked in depth about his relationship with his pops, his mom dying, how hard the struggle was to get to ESPN...he was Stephen Smith...not the SAS caricature. It was a cool listen.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 11:32 AM

70. "great guy but still doesn't know shit about football and baseball but..."
In response to Reply # 69

tries to pretend like he does

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 11:39 AM

71. "cuz the network want him to, lol..."
In response to Reply # 70

he'll do commentary live at a cricket match if ESPN flew him out there.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 11:52 AM

72. "right I think a lot of it now is budget related, especially during the....."
In response to Reply # 71

height of covid they didn't want to pay anyone to do anything else so they had Stephen A & Max doing everything and got comfortable with that lol

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 09:38 AM

63. "Good?"

The Le Batard show is the best thing the network has going. Everything else is cookie cutter. I guess if you want to hear hours of "Are the Raiders for real" you'll be happy.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 10:37 AM

66. "none of this has anything to do with the DLS, though..."

that show is literally the antithesis to all those shows you seem to hate so much. I'm personally fine with most of the shows. They are what they are. First Take is the only one that I physically cannot stand to watch. If you don't like Greeny, you better avert your eyes...cuz he will now be getting MORE time, with the departure of LeBatard.

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 09:42 AM

64. "RE: and....LeBatard Show is out..."
In response to Reply # 60

>last show January 4th. It’s been coming for so long.
>Chris Cote being fired was the last straw. You could tell Dan
>checked all the way out. Hopefully they got to Spotify, like
>Jemele did. I’m a little worried about how it might look.
>What intellectual property they get to keep. Will everyone go
>with Dan? How long before they can do certain segments or
>have regular guests on who are still employed by ESPN....like
>Kurkijan, Dominique, Mina, etc.

As far as the look, I think they'll get to keep that. I mean, they did that on their own anyway. Dan mentioned how ESPN didn't know they were going to do that to the set. Him and his brother just went in one weekend and put it up.

Now, as far as guest, yeah - that could be an issue. We know ESPN doesn't like to play nice in the sandbox. I'll miss if they can no longer have Bomani, Mina, Kurkijan, Amin, and Dominique on the show. However, they'll probably get to have more Adnan which I miss.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Dec-04-20 10:34 AM

65. "you right, I remember him saying that..."
In response to Reply # 64

about the people in Bristol not even knowing what his set looked like, until they were on tv.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri Jan-22-21 02:54 PM

73. "LeBatard and Skipper forming their own media company..."
In response to Reply # 0

Amin jetted from ESPN to roll with them, even though his contract isn't up until June. The show is chaotic now, while they figuring things out...but, Dan is no longer handcuffed, on Spotify. Dude sounds like he just got released from a long bid.

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Fri Jan-22-21 07:26 PM

74. "He's making up for all the years he couldn't mention Trump "
In response to Reply # 73

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Thu May-06-21 09:37 AM

75. "Get Up is pretty good imo"
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't want to make a new thread for an espn show but I've been watching the ESPN morning stuff a lot since I got laid off and this is my favorite sports show.

First Take is a little too tense and uptight these days. Greenberg, Ryan Clark and Kim keep it real light and fun. hell I even like Perkins on there.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Thu May-06-21 04:11 PM

76. "Yep…I’ve always enjoyed GU…"
In response to Reply # 75

Greeny doesn’t take himself too seriously and he always has a fun panel on there. He brings enough different folks on, that it stays fresh.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Fri Nov-10-23 10:05 PM

77. "RE: High Noon in ratings trouble again/ End of the Rydholm era at ESPN"
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't like Pablo on High Noon, but his podcast Pablo Torre Finds Out is really good.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2706961 Previous topic | Next topic