Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2706167

Subject: "Private equity is strangling Deadspin to death this week" Previous topic | Next topic
smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 11:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Private equity is strangling Deadspin to death this week"

Really sucks to lose yet another interesting, unique, and mostly progressive media outlet. Something that was especially rare in the sports world.

Long story short:

1. Deadspin and the other ex-Gawker sites were bought by a private equity firm

2. This week the multimillionaire CEO issued a now-infamous memo where he told the writers and editors to "stick to sports"

3. Editors immediately responded by posting some of what built Deadspin such a strong audience: funny, non-sports related articles

4. In response, executives fire Barry Petchesky, a managing editor and someone who's been with Deadspin from the beginning, double down on the decree, and then disable commenting across the site because too many commenters were supporting the workers

5. Yesterday and today editors and writers started resigning en mass, including Drew Magary and their other best-known writers.

So

- Yet another media outlet killed by private equity. This is an especially impressive kill considering that Deadspin WAS a stable and profitable website.

- The true conservative politics of the executive class are revealed yet again. They didn't want Deadspin to "stick to sports", they wanted Deadspin to stop having a mildly progressive editorial voice, especially on issues of class, labor, gender, and race politics.

Deadspin was more than a sports site and that's part of what made it unique in a landscape of shitty, overwhelmingly mediocre sports journalism. It also had an unapologetically progressive voice, which again is something largely missing in the sports world and media in general.

Perhaps worst of all, we are now robbed of their annual Hater's Guide to the Williams-Sonoma catalogue.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
they also posted a sex tape of someone without consent
Oct 31st 2019
Deadspin used to have more Barstool tendencies
Oct 31st 2019
but thats why private equity is involved in the first place
Oct 31st 2019
      I don't think you're exploring the full implication of your point
Oct 31st 2019
           right, you don't even have to like Deadspin
Oct 31st 2019
FUCK HOGAN and MOTHERFUCK PETER THIEL.
Oct 31st 2019
      racists deserve no privacy
Oct 31st 2019
           my line of thinking exactly.
Oct 31st 2019
Yup, this stinks
Oct 31st 2019
We are slowing being neuterd and silenced before our very eyes.
Oct 31st 2019
they might be the only site where i actually read the comment section.
Oct 31st 2019
Yup
Oct 31st 2019
i was unaware deadspin was so popular
Oct 31st 2019
is this snark?
Oct 31st 2019
      nah im serious
Oct 31st 2019
that they were turning a profit made it even more 'hilarious'
Oct 31st 2019
most of the businesses vulture capitalists tear apart are
Oct 31st 2019
RE: Private equity is strangling Deadspin to death this week
Nov 05th 2019
Took it off my Favorites list this morning out of principle
Nov 06th 2019
it's depressing as hell, but the larger trends are positive imo
Nov 06th 2019
      I wish I could be as optimistic as you are.
Nov 06th 2019
           I think labor power is ascendant
Nov 06th 2019
                Good posts, thanks for those n/m
Nov 06th 2019
                the cynic in me says it had nowhere to go but up, but i'm still glad it ...
Nov 07th 2019
                     I hear you
Nov 07th 2019
FWIW, their seems to be **some** fallout at the equity firm
Nov 07th 2019
Man
Nov 07th 2019
This Twitter account RTs any work Deadspin writers are doing
Nov 07th 2019
Nothing can really fuck with the "Why your team sucks" series
Nov 07th 2019
Yeah, this shit always cracked me up...
Nov 07th 2019
clowned your squad, city, and YOU for being a fan
Nov 08th 2019
The GOAT
Nov 12th 2019
Everything is secondary to Hater's Guide to Williams Sonoma
Nov 07th 2019
I'm going with an OG classic
Nov 07th 2019
I'm sayin yall
Nov 11th 2019
My sister works at the LA Times which just unionized a couple of years a...
Nov 13th 2019

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "they also posted a sex tape of someone without consent"
In response to Reply # 0

lets not put them on too high of a pedestal

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 12:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Deadspin used to have more Barstool tendencies"
In response to Reply # 1

but overall they were good and this really sucks

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 12:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "but thats why private equity is involved in the first place"
In response to Reply # 4

the hogan sex tape thing started ALL this

had deadspin not employed trash like aj daulerio, gawker would still own deadspin, and none of this would be happening

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 01:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "I don't think you're exploring the full implication of your point"
In response to Reply # 7

If they didn't want to get shuttered by amoral creeps in 2019, they shouldn't have committed a sin against journalism in 2016. Which... whatever. But publications get sued all the time. That one was an organized hit by Peter Thiel, not just in targeting Gawker but structuring the lawsuit so that their insurer could step aside. The purpose was never protecting Hulk Hogan's privacy, or anybody's privacy, it was destroying a publication that had a reputation for not caring who it annoyed.

So to be clear, the point you're making is: don't say things that upset rich people.

That's wrong. And bad. Don't think that any longer.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 02:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "right, you don't even have to like Deadspin"
In response to Reply # 9

to realize this is part of an insanely worrying trend

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 01:00 PM

8. "FUCK HOGAN and MOTHERFUCK PETER THIEL."
In response to Reply # 1

I don't give a FUCK.

Both them niggas can fry, I don't care.

smutsboy
33301 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 02:25 PM

13. "racists deserve no privacy"
In response to Reply # 8

and Peter Thiel sure as shit doesn't care about it.

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 02:34 PM

15. "my line of thinking exactly."
In response to Reply # 13

learning the truth about both (I really DGAF about Thiel being gay, but him showing his hand in the Hogan matter revealed who he really was) was a net positive.

Hence: fuck 'em.

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 12:10 PM

2. "Yup, this stinks"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 12:14 PM

3. "We are slowing being neuterd and silenced before our very eyes."
In response to Reply # 0

The idea of freedom of press and expression is being opposed and frowned upon. News, data, and stories are being formulated to follow the ways that advertisers want, or the way a certain corporation wants.

The truth is no longer mandatory. It's now an option, and if the truth goes against, or does not illustrate things in a favorable light, then it will be extinguished. And fake news will be propagated.

Look at facebook, look at instagram, just look at the fake images and fake lives that are being posted, where people are living a lie.

Truth, honesty, real news, and the real stories are now considered the enemies to our society.

We talk about fighting against countries like North Korea and China, where their leaders are falsely painted as great men, saviors of the world, etc. And the people are coerced to believe and communicate fake news, and if they rebel, they are scorned, brutalized, jailed,and even killed if necessary.

Since Trump has taken office, I have slowly, but surely seen the removal and suppression of liberated news voices and platforms.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 12:37 PM

5. "they might be the only site where i actually read the comment section."
In response to Reply # 0

a lot of dope insight and supplemental information down there.

smutsboy
33301 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 02:26 PM

14. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 5

it was well moderated.

One of the only comment sections on the internet with humor or insight, and not full of racists or bigots.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 12:50 PM

6. "i was unaware deadspin was so popular"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 01:36 PM

10. "is this snark?"
In response to Reply # 6

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 01:43 PM

11. "nah im serious"
In response to Reply # 10

like when the news first broke about this in my mind im like "oh that quirky little site is done. that's a shame. it had some funny shit on there (s/o the Williams Sonoma haters guide)"

i thought it was just a niche sports site popular w/ folks like us that post on forums and rip on everybody on sports twitter. i had no idea the kind of readership it and i definitely did not expect such a vocal sadness over it being gone.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 02:37 PM

16. "that they were turning a profit made it even more 'hilarious'"
In response to Reply # 0

all the bullshit these vultures crow about, how they know "markets" and whatnot... is bullshit.

they can't even make a good excuse for their behavior.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Oct-31-19 03:07 PM

17. "most of the businesses vulture capitalists tear apart are"
In response to Reply # 16

at their core, profitable.

all those retailers they've ended?

still profitable!

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

B.J.S.301
Member since Nov 30th 2005
7074 posts
Tue Nov-05-19 09:49 PM

18. "RE: Private equity is strangling Deadspin to death this week"
In response to Reply # 0

A week later and this news still sucks.

This is an alternate universe. The bad guys are winning.

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Wed Nov-06-19 12:14 PM

19. "Took it off my Favorites list this morning out of principle"
In response to Reply # 18

I really enjoyed all the sites that are now under the G/O umbrella, but gotta stand for something.

smutsboy
33301 posts
Wed Nov-06-19 02:33 PM

20. "it's depressing as hell, but the larger trends are positive imo"
In response to Reply # 18

These private equity dick bags did what they always do: buy up a media outlet on discount, gut the entire thing, and sell it for parts while trying to drag value out of the name for as long as possible with a zombie staff.

It happened to Sports Illustrated and hundreds of small newspapers around the country before that.

But this time rather than getting slowly ground down over time, the entire staff just said fuck you and left.

I think it's part of a larger trend of class and worker consciousness and pushing back against the investor class exploiting labor, especially in tech and in media.

Gothamist voting to unionize.
The current fight going on to unionize Kickstarter.
And now the entire staff of a media outlet taking the extremely courageous stance of sacrificing their security for a greater good.

Losing Deadspin really sucks, in part because of the positive, progressive, class-, race- and gender-conscious positions it took. But I do think the landscape is changing and positive change is coming.

This was a big fuck you to a group not used to being told to go fuck themselves.

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16157 posts
Wed Nov-06-19 03:21 PM

21. "I wish I could be as optimistic as you are."
In response to Reply # 20

smutsboy
33301 posts
Wed Nov-06-19 05:58 PM

22. "I think labor power is ascendant"
In response to Reply # 21

From teacher strikes in so-called red states, to tech workers trying to unionize.

I see the mass resignations by Deadspin workers, including the replacement editor who quit after two hours on the job, as part of the trend.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Nov-06-19 06:50 PM

23. "Good posts, thanks for those n/m"
In response to Reply # 22

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 12:12 PM

24. "the cynic in me says it had nowhere to go but up, but i'm still glad it ..."
In response to Reply # 22

smutsboy
33301 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 03:22 PM

30. "I hear you"
In response to Reply # 24

but under capitalism it can always get worse

always

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 01:31 PM

25. "FWIW, their seems to be **some** fallout at the equity firm"
In response to Reply # 0

The guy who issued the "Stick to sports!" mandate abruptly quit soon after this fiasco unfolded. And now it appears one of the executives instrumental in buying Deadspin and related site seems to have disappeared from the company's website. I'm aware that they'll be replaced by different hacks, but you take your small victories.

But in general, yes, this incredibly depressing. And it's been moving this direction for a while now. It's a big reason why I don't work in the newspaper/new field anymore. And it's actually worse now than it was 15 years. But a lot of what's happening today is something out of an episode of "Succession."

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

smutsboy
33301 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 03:20 PM

28. "Man"
In response to Reply # 25

That asshole (Paul Maidment) is trying to claim he's leaving to pursue an "entrepreneurial opportunity".

L
O
L

The "entrepreneurial opportunity" of being fired, maybe.

ABC_Style
Member since Oct 20th 2004
1389 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 02:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "This Twitter account RTs any work Deadspin writers are doing"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/UnDeadspin?s=17

A lot of them are crashing at Vice it seems.

What were some of y'alls favorite articles? And should we link to them? Off the top of my head, my faves were The Manti Te'O fiasco and Drew Magary's "The Reckoning always comes." Also, I loved their lists, especially the "Cheap American Beers, Ranked" and Tim Marchman's "Cereals, Ranked" that caused a hilarious shitstorm in the comments.

Deadspin was a good website

<-------------------
Represent the city that I'm from- Dum diddy dum

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 02:08 PM

27. "Nothing can really fuck with the "Why your team sucks" series"
In response to Reply # 26

Highlight of every NFL pre-season.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22286 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 04:34 PM

31. "Yeah, this shit always cracked me up..."
In response to Reply # 27

They had me laughing at them while they clowned my squad every year.

ABC_Style
Member since Oct 20th 2004
1389 posts
Fri Nov-08-19 02:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
33. "clowned your squad, city, and YOU for being a fan"
In response to Reply # 31

I always looked forward to it every year too. His LA takes were dead on and hilarious.

<-------------------
Represent the city that I'm from- Dum diddy dum

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Nov-12-19 10:57 PM

35. "The GOAT"
In response to Reply # 27

look forward to it every year.

smutsboy
33301 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 03:21 PM

29. "Everything is secondary to Hater's Guide to Williams Sonoma"

Everything.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-2018-ish-hater-s-guide-to-the-williams-sonoma-cata-1832646809

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18749 posts
Thu Nov-07-19 04:35 PM

32. "I'm going with an OG classic"
Thu Nov-07-19 04:43 PM by magilla vanilla

https://deadspin.com/deadspin-hof-nominee-run-you-stupid-f-ing-dinosaur-198465

OK, the TRUE classic. CLEVELAND'S Investigative Reporter: https://deadspin.com/the-most-brilliant-thing-youll-see-all-day-176349

Leitch Era forever

Also, apparently SI was planning to poach Drew right before private equity fucked THEM over too.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

smutsboy
33301 posts
Mon Nov-11-19 10:23 AM

34. "I'm sayin yall"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1193906428249026560

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Wed Nov-13-19 01:24 AM

36. "My sister works at the LA Times which just unionized a couple of years a..."
In response to Reply # 34

The union was able to get some needed pay raises and other benefits awarded to the workers along with some job protections in case the paper was sold.

It definitely helped that the paper was no longer owned by Tribune since they were griding the paper into oblivion. But unions work.

May have to subscribe to one of those mags on principle.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2706167 Previous topic | Next topic