Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2704008

Subject: "MLB 2019 Playoffs Post" Previous topic | Next topic
Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22276 posts
Thu Oct-03-19 10:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"MLB 2019 Playoffs Post"

NLDS
Washington Nationals vs LA Dodgers
St. Louis Cardinals vs. Atlanta Braves

ALDS
Tampa Bay Rays vs Houston Astros
Minnesota Twins vs NY Yankees

https://www.mlb.com/postseason

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Rays knock off the As. We ain't scared of Houston either
Oct 03rd 2019
Also...this is a terrible look by the Rays front office Good lord...
Oct 03rd 2019
Was at the game last night. It fucking sucked
Oct 03rd 2019
Martinez made it interesting...
Oct 03rd 2019
Okay, Mr. Ozuna...I said I was sorry...
Oct 07th 2019
Yadi Dadi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 07th 2019
Yadi...send everybody home!!!!
Oct 07th 2019
Let's ride this momentum into Houston & finish them off #RaysUp
Oct 09th 2019
This would be pretty wild
Oct 09th 2019
      And youre the devil rays
Oct 09th 2019
7-0 top of the 1st. Braves starter already pulled
Oct 09th 2019
9-0
Oct 09th 2019
10-0!
Oct 09th 2019
      crazy
Oct 09th 2019
RE: 7-0 top of the 1st. Braves starter already pulled
Oct 09th 2019
Tommy Edman is an animal!!
Oct 09th 2019
no love at all for STL
Oct 09th 2019
Brian Mcann retires...
Oct 09th 2019
now who is going to be the judge of all disrespectful bat flips?
Oct 09th 2019
Kershaw sucks
Oct 09th 2019
RE: MLB 2019 Playoffs Post
Oct 09th 2019
Could this be the night the Nationals win a playoff series?
Oct 09th 2019
Congratulations, Washington Nationals.
Oct 09th 2019
Roberts is terrible with the bullpen in the playoffs
Oct 10th 2019
he was trying to be cute
Oct 10th 2019
      is Roberts in trouble? Jeff Passan has a story up...
Oct 10th 2019
           Probably. I can def see Joe Madden replacing him, given Madden's ties wi...
Oct 10th 2019
           I gotta imagine they're firing him soon.
Oct 11th 2019
                Apparently, I figured wrong. Good for him
Oct 11th 2019
it hurt my heart that Kendrick hit that salami off of Joe Kelly...
Oct 10th 2019
Dave Roberts has shown for 3 years in a row that he is clueless
Oct 10th 2019
I went to bed after the 8th then turned on MLB this morning
Oct 10th 2019
Dammit Rays...
Oct 11th 2019
damn, Anibal terrorized the Cardinals like...
Oct 12th 2019
Probably the worst case scenario for the Cards
Oct 12th 2019
The 2019 World Series: Houston vs. Washington
Oct 20th 2019
fuckin Astros about to make me root for the goddamn Nats
Oct 22nd 2019

Marbles
22276 posts
Thu Oct-03-19 10:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Rays knock off the As. We ain't scared of Houston either"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2019/10/03/rays-ride-power-display-to-wild-card-win-in-oakland/

OAKLAND, Calif. — The Rays insisted they weren’t nervous, intimidated or overwhelmed by the pomp or the circumstance of playing their first postseason game since 2013, and the first in many of their careers, saying they were ready.

Manager Kevin Cash said it during a relaxed chat in his office midafternoon Wednesday.

Centerfielder Kevin Kiermaier promised it during his pregame interview room segment.

And then they went out and showed it, and in powerful style, beating the A’s 5-1 in the AL wild-card game and moving on to a division series matchup with the Astros starting Friday in Houston.

Yandy Diaz, who wasn’t expected to be in the lineup and until the past week or so was a question to play again this season, homered to lead off the game and again in the third. Avisail Garcia hit a two-run homer in the second. Tommy Pham added a solo shot in the fifth.

Meanwhile, Charlie Morton gave the Rays five good enough innings, Diego Castillo an impressive two, then Nick Anderson and former A’s reliever Emilio Pagan closed it out.

"Just happy as can be that these guys have a chance to keep on going,'' GM Erik Neander said on the fringe of the wet and wild clubhouse celebration. "It’s a helluva group. These guys are really special. ''

Just like the Rays weren’t affected by the stage, the spotlight and the record crowd of 54,005 for a wild-card game, they insist they’ll be up to the challenge of playing the Astros, who won a majors-most 107 games and boast an aces-high rotation that starts with Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole and Zack Greinke. The Rays won the season series 4-3.

“Look, they’re better than us. Their pitching is better, their hitting is better,’’ Rays principal owner Stuart Sternberg said before Wednesday’s game. “But we find a way to just keep it close. If we were a team that had to hit the ball and win games 8-6, I wouldn’t be saying this. But I feel pretty strong that over a five- or seven-game series we’re going to be involved in a bunch of one-run, two-run games, and those games you can be on either side of it.’’

Further, Sternberg said, “I really do feel if this team plays to its fullest we can beat any of the teams out there. Doesn’t mean it’s easy, doesn’t mean we’re not going to have some good fortune. “If we pitch the ball like we’re supposed to, we’re smart on the basepaths and we’re able to have some solid at-bats, especially getting past this game, we can beat either or both of those other teams we’re going to face, whoever they might be, until we get to the (World) Series.’’

Some of what the Rays did Wednesday was unexpected.

As a team, they became just the third in postseason history to hit four home runs in a winner-take-all game, joining the 2004 Red Sox (ALCS Game 7) and 1956 Yankees (World Series Game 7).

And just the second time in the franchise’s five postseason trips to hit four homers in a game, matching their efforts in Game 3 of the 2008 ALCS against Boston.

Individually, Diaz became the first leadoff hitter in MLB history to homer in each of his first two at-bats of a single postseason.

And he became the fifth Ray to hit two homers in a playoff game. Evan Longoria did it in Game 1 of the 2008 ALDS against the White Sox, B.J. Upton in Game 4 of the same series, Kelly Shoppach in Game 1 of the 2011 ALDS against Texas and Desmond Jennings in Game 3 of that same series.

Diaz said he just welcomed the opportunity to be part of it.

Marbles
22276 posts
Thu Oct-03-19 10:28 AM

2. "Also...this is a terrible look by the Rays front office Good lord..."
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2019/10/03/the-rays-arranging-for-montreal-group-to-be-in-oakland-is-a-bad-look/

OAKLAND — Why not invite Bud Selig, too?

Or Jerry Reinsdorf? How about Bill White? Why not invite every other owner/executive who has teased, impeded or otherwise been a thorn in the side of Tampa Bay baseball fans throughout the years?

Why stop with the man who now wants to poach the Rays?

Oh, I’m sure it’s not as bad as it looks. Rays owner Stu Sternberg says he simply accommodated the request of a potential business partner when he got tickets to Wednesday night’s wild-card game for prospective Montreal owner Stephen Bronfman.

But it does look bad. And that’s kind of the point.

“It’s not ideal,’’ Sternberg told me of the news getting out about Bronfman’s ticket request on the eve of the Rays game with the Athletics.

So on Tampa Bay’s first postseason night in six years, the Rays have now reminded every fan back home that they are eager to go stadium shopping in Canada as soon as the season ends.

We all knew that already, but it would have been nice to watch Charlie Morton on the mound Wednesday without having it thrown in our faces.

If it helps your mood, none of this seemed to have been planned by the Rays. The disclosure of Bronfman’s ticket request, which was first reported by Montreal radio host Matthew Ross, seems to have come from his group.

On Wednesday, an executive of the Montreal consulting firm EY tweeted a photo of Bronfman and members of the Montreal Baseball Group at the airport on the way to Oakland.

Sternberg, who said he would not be sitting with Bronfman, said he and Rays executives dealt with the request “for a total of four minutes’’ before moving on to other matters.

He was insistent that the front office is focused on the postseason and would not be discussing stadium matters until after the playoffs.

“When they asked us for tickets they said they had been at Fenway last year (for the playoffs) and the same group had been at other ballgames in other years. So we said sure. I’m thrilled they want to be here,’’ Sternberg said. “I haven’t spoken to him in months and my sense is it was a real request, he’s a real baseball fan. They’ve been to other postseasons games in the past that we haven’t been involved in.’’

There could have been a strategic reason for Bronfman divulging Sternberg’s role in getting tickets.

Bronfman apparently is meeting with the Montreal Public Advisory Office this week about his stadium proposal, according to La Presse, a French-language digital newspaper in Quebec. The advisory office will report to the city on the viability of the plan.

By making his trip to Oakland so visible, Bronfman could be cementing the idea of his proposed partnership with Sternberg in the minds of Montreal city leaders.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44688 posts
Thu Oct-03-19 01:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Was at the game last night. It fucking sucked"
In response to Reply # 1

I like Bob Melvin, but he has shit for brains when it comes to managing for the wild card. Let's ignore the fact that they should have gone with Fiers (second year in a row he's blown that part). He should pulled Manea after the second inning and put in Luzardo.

And as bad as Manea and the coaching decisions were, the hitting was just as bad. Eights hits, three walks, one run. They REALLY let the Rays off the hook in the first inning, and never recovered. Profar swing for the fence with the bases loaded was dumb. Khris Davis looked horrible and damn near timid at the plate all night. No change to our approach after not being able to hit with runners in scoring position for the last week.

The only positive from the game was how good Luzardo looked. He'll be great once he's in the rotation next year.

All that said, while I'm annoyed at losing, I'm not annoying losing to the Rays specifically. This isn't as bad as the Royals loss five years ago.

I know nothing is guaranteed, but I'm hopeful for the future. The rotation has the potential for greatness next season (Fiers, Manea, Luzardo, Puk, and Montas). All the hitters will be back. And we should be able to make bullpen adjustments. Probably still finish five behind the Astros anyway.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Thu Oct-03-19 08:18 PM

4. "Martinez made it interesting..."
In response to Reply # 0

shouts to Ozuna with the clutch double....please accept my apology, Big Bear.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Mon Oct-07-19 03:36 PM

5. "Okay, Mr. Ozuna...I said I was sorry..."
In response to Reply # 0

just touched up Keuchel for his second bomb, today.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Mon Oct-07-19 05:30 PM

6. "Yadi Dadi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Mon Oct-07-19 06:16 PM

7. "Yadi...send everybody home!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Marbles
22276 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 10:06 AM

8. "Let's ride this momentum into Houston & finish them off #RaysUp"
In response to Reply # 0

We looked completely dominant (except for a little scare in the 9th). If we can keep this up tomorrow, the Yankees better watch out

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27803866/how-rays-forced-favored-astros-do-die-game-5

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Whatever metaphor, analogy or parable you might look up, isn't it always the giant who falls? Does this have anything to do with what transpired over the past two days at Tropicana Field? Or are we seeing the tech-infused Tampa Bay Rays crowdsourcing their way around the considerable problem of dispatching the star-laden Houston Astros?

After the Rays' 4-1 win in Game 4 of their American League Division Series on Tuesday, a game that began with 2019 Cy Young favorite Justin Verlander on the mound for Houston and ended with 2018 Cy Young winner Blake Snell polishing off his first save, everything feels as if it is on the table.

"We made it this far," Rays outfielder Kevin Kiermaier said. "It's pretty safe to say, but we're not content with this. We want to win one more and keep this thing going. We plan on doing just that."

The ogre in this baseball parable, at least on Tuesday, would be Verlander, who might not be the biggest pitcher in baseball in terms of stature, though at 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, he's a load. More so, he is a giant by reputation and by accomplishment. In a few weeks when the pending retirement of New York Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia becomes official, Verlander will become baseball's active leader in wins and strikeouts. He is Gulliver to the Rays' Lilliputians. He is Goliath to the Rays' David. He is South Bend Central to the Rays' Hickory High.

You get the idea.

With Verlander on the hill, the Rays countered with ... no one. OK, that's not precisely true. They had Diego Castillo on the mound, and he fired thunderbolts with even more ferocity than Verlander, but just not for as many innings. Castillo is an opener, that Rays innovation, one they believe in so deeply that they trotted it out in a game they had to win to extend their season. Castillo electrified a rocking, hanky-waving crowd at the Trop by striking out Michael Brantley, Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman in order in the first inning.

"Castillo, thank God he was an opener and not a regular starter," Astros manager AJ Hinch said. "Having him out there for four, five, six innings would be devastating for anybody."

Well, Castillo was out there for only seven batters because he's an opener and that's how this thing works. From there, Rays skipper Kevin Cash summoned lefty Ryan Yarbrough, who soft-tossed his way to two scoreless innings after Castillo. The last batter he faced was rookie Yordan Alvarez. Yarbrough threw him three straight curves that topped out at 72 mph, then followed that with a changeup -- at 78 mph. Alvarez then cracked a double off the wall violently, perhaps angered by the audacity of it all.

Then it fell to Nick Anderson, the out-of-nowhere reliever who began the season on the other side of Florida with the Marlins but has emerged as a lock-down reliever who throws a vicious curve of his own, along with upper-90s heat. He, like Castillo and Yarbrough, also pitched to seven batters. Colin Poche got six, then Emilio Pagan got four, taking it into the ninth inning but leaving runners on the corners with the dangerous Alvarez at the plate.

Wish you were (still) here! Non-playoff teams with the most ex-players making noise this October
So the Rays being the Rays, in came Snell for his 100th career appearance, including the postseason. The first 99 were as a starting pitcher. As good and different as the curveballs of Yarbrough and Anderson are, Snell's hook might be baseball's best. And he used one to strike out Alvarez, before getting Yuli Gurriel on a well-struck grounder to end it. Snell, in his first relief appearance, had his first save.

"We didn't draw it up that way," Cash said. "As soon as Alvarez came up with a chance to tie the game, we felt that that was our best matchup. We were fairly confident that Blake was going to be pretty amped up. He was."

That too is the Rays. It doesn't just take a village, it takes a village in which everyone does more than one job and might be asked to do just about anything at any time. Everyone knows this, especially Hinch.

"It's October, I'm not surprised by anything," Hinch said. "There's no real hidden tricks when you're faced with elimination. They used a lot of resources. We knew they would."

Of course. The Rays always use a lot of resources. They used 57 batters during the regular season; Houston used 45. The Rays deployed 33 pitchers; Houston used 26. The Rays had only four players compile as many as three wins above replacement during the regular season. Houston had that many studs surpass six WAR. Somehow or another, though, it all seems to be coming out even.

"People mentioned David and Goliath to me and some of the other guys before this series and I just had to cut 'em off before they even went on with that," an indignant Kiermaier said. "Because I don't want to hear that. I know Houston is probably better on paper and all that, but anything can happen when you step on the field at the same time."

Here's something Kiermaier might approve of: While Verlander and Gerrit Cole were dominant in their initial starts, the Rays have dominated the series beyond the Verlander/Cole innings in Houston. With those two on the mound, the Astros outscored the Rays 8-0, enough to take the first two games of the series. But beyond that, in all the other innings of the series, including Game 4, the Rays have outscored Houston 17-5.

The numbers all swing the Rays' way. Tampa Bay has a 6-4 edge in homers in the series. They have that 17-13 edge in scoring. They have more walks, a better on-base percentage, a better slugging percentage. The Astros have been outplayed.

"Hey, I hate to say it, about time, you know," said Tommy Pham, who got the Rays started on Tuesday with a solo homer off Verlander in the first. "Because we have a really good team over here. And to win 96 games in this division with New York and Boston is an impressive feat. And all year, we've been getting talked down. And now, with the last two games, the way we played, the whole world has seen how good of a team we are and how well-rounded we are."

They've seen how good the Rays are, but they still might not know who they are. There are just so many of them. Avisail Garcia and Ji-Man Choi both reached base four times in Game 4. Willy Adames homered, swung a hot bat in both games the Rays won and threw a laser bolt on a relay throw in the fourth to throw out Altuve at the plate.

Everybody contributed, it seemed. Even the Rays' bullpen was a hive of activity, with relievers constantly warming up, sitting down or, often, entering the game. Every pitcher on the roster either pitched or warmed up at some point on Tuesday, except for Game 3 starter Charlie Morton -- who might well be called on for a couple of innings in Game 5 -- and the scheduled starter for Thursday's finale, Tyler Glasnow.

"Their pitching is exceptional," Hinch said. "What they did on the mound tonight was incredible. They're not just throwing different arms at you. You talk about the opener, they'll throw a lot of different arms and get platoon advantages. That's not neglected. Their stuff is really good. They're throwing elite guys."

The baseball world is seeing this, but come on, this is the Astros, who won 107 games during the season with a plus-280 run differential that ranks as the 10th best in history. Surely the star power that fuels Houston will manifest itself, right? It better -- and fast.

The Astros are now off schedule. They didn't really want to use Verlander on short rest, something he had never done. But the fourth rotation slot has been problematic because of Wade Miley's late-season slide. Rookie Jose Urquidy was an option, but he's a rookie. (He pitched in relief in Game 4.)

"We would have gone with Urquidy and if he would have , it would have been, 'Should you have put a rookie in that situation?'" Hinch said. "I understand with the results, it's tough. It was my decision to put out there. I felt it was the best chance to win the series -- JV today and Gerrit in Game 5 if we needed it. We're going to test the latter part of that in Game 5."

On Thursday, the Rays once again will be battling a giant. Cole has not lost a start since May 22. He struck out 326 batters this season. But just as the Rays had some familiarity with seeing Verlander a few days ago, they will have that with Cole too.

"That the second time we faced him this year, so now everyone has multiple at-bats against him to kind of see what he likes to do to us," Rays catcher Travis d'Arnaud said. "But the guy is a great pitcher. He's under 2.50 ERA, over 300 strikeouts, so it's gonna be a battle for sure."

As Hinch said, the Rays used a lot of resources in Game 4, but Wednesday is a travel day, so Cash should have everyone available on Thursday. Familiarity with his hurlers isn't much of an issue -- on Tuesday, no Astros hitter saw the same Rays pitcher twice. The Astros have witnessed that the Rays are not going to be overwhelmed by the status of Houston's All-Star roster. And while that might be a revelation to many, the Astros knew what they were encountering, confident as they were and as they remain.

"This team, these guys, even after going up two games against this ballclub, I don't think we took anything for granted," Verlander said. "I know I didn't. I can't speak for everybody, but that was the mentality. We know how talented these guys are, and we knew it would be a battle. Obviously, we were hoping to win yesterday, hoping to win today. We've had our backs against the wall before and come out victorious. Hopefully, this is an opportunity to go prove ourselves."

And for a proof of the concept to which Verlander refers -- that has the Astros as a championship team -- having Cole going at home in front of fans just as raucous, waving orange hankies instead of yellow, is not a bad fail-safe option.

"He's been on one of the most incredible runs I've ever seen," Verlander said of Cole. "That the baseball world has ever seen. If you could name a starting pitcher in all of major league baseball, you'd want him on the mound."

For the Astros, it is about him. For the Rays, it'll be about them. After two sultry days under the white roof of the Trop, it's hard to say which pronoun will prevail. We only know with the Rays, expect the unexpected.

"I'm not going to be surprised if Charlie Morton is available in Game 5," Hinch said. "I'm not going to be surprised if Blake Snell is available in Game 5. I wouldn't expect anything less out of this type of game."

Neither does Snell.

"That's what we do," Snell said. "We make every game tough. We got two wins now, but now we've got to see what we really can do in going to Houston and taking it from them."

ESPN's Jenna Laine contributed to this report.

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 10:32 AM

9. "This would be pretty wild"
In response to Reply # 8

Down 2-0 in a 5 game series to a team who, on paper, is probably the best since the Core 4 Yankees run ended. Maybe beating 3 straight Cy Young winners and holding down a line up with the current MVP and ROY.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66720 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 10:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "And youre the devil rays "
In response to Reply # 9

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 04:23 PM

11. "7-0 top of the 1st. Braves starter already pulled"
In response to Reply # 0

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 04:23 PM

12. "9-0"
In response to Reply # 11

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8427 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 04:28 PM

13. "10-0!"
In response to Reply # 12

I despise the Cards (and the Braves) but this is very good shit

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 05:04 PM

15. "crazy"
In response to Reply # 13

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 10:44 PM

21. "RE: 7-0 top of the 1st. Braves starter already pulled"
In response to Reply # 11

They got the over in the first inning!

Dudes lined up after the inning to get paid. You know Vegas was pissed.

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 04:52 PM

14. "Tommy Edman is an animal!!"
In response to Reply # 0

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 08:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "no love at all for STL"
In response to Reply # 0

but fuck Atlanta

--------

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 09:22 PM

17. "Brian Mcann retires..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://mobile.twitter.com/FOXSportsBraves/status/1182097406877425666?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 09:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "now who is going to be the judge of all disrespectful bat flips?"
In response to Reply # 17

goodbye to MLB's most importantest safety patrol

--------

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18576 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 10:37 PM

19. "Kershaw sucks "
In response to Reply # 0

allStah
Member since Jun 21st 2014
9816 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 10:38 PM

20. "RE: MLB 2019 Playoffs Post"
In response to Reply # 0

Kershaw sucks in the postseason! How many post season games has he blown?
No way would I put the ball in his hand for a deciding game in any matter

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18284 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 11:32 PM

22. "Could this be the night the Nationals win a playoff series? "
In response to Reply # 0

Kendrick came through with probably the biggest hit in franchise history.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Shaun Tha Don
18284 posts
Wed Oct-09-19 11:43 PM

23. "Congratulations, Washington Nationals. "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-10-19 12:06 AM by Shaun Tha Don

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18576 posts
Thu Oct-10-19 07:16 AM

24. "Roberts is terrible with the bullpen in the playoffs"
In response to Reply # 0

Maeda was the obvious choice. So ridiculous to keep trying to go to Kershaw at every chance.

will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Thu Oct-10-19 10:47 AM

26. "he was trying to be cute"
In response to Reply # 24

getting Kershaw a "redemption" story at home to close out the series.

--------

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Thu Oct-10-19 10:51 AM

27. "is Roberts in trouble? Jeff Passan has a story up..."
In response to Reply # 26

on the "complicated" future of Dave Roberts. I was waiting til lunch to read it.

dillinjah
Charter member
9009 posts
Thu Oct-10-19 12:58 PM

29. "Probably. I can def see Joe Madden replacing him, given Madden's ties wi..."
In response to Reply # 27

the dodgers president.

mrhood75
44688 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 02:17 AM

31. "I gotta imagine they're firing him soon."
In response to Reply # 27

Not that he deserves it, but the Dodgers were legitimately looked at as the best team in the Majors, and now they're out in the first round. And this is years of fielding supremely talented teams and not one winning the big one.

MLB teams are ruthless these days, so I'm guessing he'll be gone soon.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

mrhood75
44688 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 11:48 AM

33. "Apparently, I figured wrong. Good for him "
In response to Reply # 31

The word is now fhat he’ll be back.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Thu Oct-10-19 09:57 AM

25. "it hurt my heart that Kendrick hit that salami off of Joe Kelly..."
In response to Reply # 0

that's my dude.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Oct-10-19 11:11 AM

28. "Dave Roberts has shown for 3 years in a row that he is clueless"
In response to Reply # 0

anyone can get this team into the playoffs. If the offense is on its a pretty easy ride into the WS. But when he has to make tough decisions he is useless. God I cant stand him.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Thu Oct-10-19 02:44 PM

30. "I went to bed after the 8th then turned on MLB this morning"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marbles
22276 posts
Fri Oct-11-19 08:27 AM

32. "Dammit Rays..."
In response to Reply # 0

It was tough to watch Glasnow get picked apart. When the score was 3-0 after him throwing just 10 pitches, I figured something had to be up. Shouldn't he have realized that he was tipping his pitches at that point and tried to change things up?

I can't be mad though. The Rays exceeded my expectations for this season by a million miles. This has been one of my favorite Rays squads of the past decade.

So now, I officially hate all 4 remaining teams. Wait, that's not true. I'm ambivalent to Houston. But I hate the other 3. So I guess I'm pulling for the Astros now.

Dstl1
Charter member
56190 posts
Sat Oct-12-19 08:24 AM

34. "damn, Anibal terrorized the Cardinals like..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://images.app.goo.gl/9wwePRd5SiDfTUz88

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Sat Oct-12-19 07:54 PM

35. "Probably the worst case scenario for the Cards"
In response to Reply # 0

They've played reasonably well but the Nationals have all of the momentum and they have three of the next five at home to win two. I guess Flaherty pitches Game 3 which may help. But then again the Nationals have Strausberg.

I don't know which journalist mentioned that the Nationals were tied with the Dodgers in the number of wins after their 19-31 start. So maybe baseball is now seeing the Nats live up to their potential?

Shaun Tha Don
18284 posts
Sun Oct-20-19 12:20 AM

36. "The 2019 World Series: Houston vs. Washington"
In response to Reply # 0

Altuve that dude!

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8427 posts
Tue Oct-22-19 02:52 PM

37. "fuckin Astros about to make me root for the goddamn Nats"
In response to Reply # 0

Altuve is dope and incredibly likeable, but institutionally this organization is just as trash as in 2017

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2704008 Previous topic | Next topic