Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2701993

Subject: "We Run 313 " Previous topic | Next topic
The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Thu Aug-22-19 12:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"We Run 313 "

I know we discussed convincing black youth to run distance. Here is a great story about a newly found running club in Detroit.

https://tinyurl.com/y3w6m5wy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Hey! Thanks for this
Aug 25th 2019

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Sun Aug-25-19 12:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Hey! Thanks for this"
In response to Reply # 0

This is a really good idea. Easy, cheap, and not (yet) geared toward any more complex purpose than showing people that getting out and running a few miles with some friends can be really fun.

As a postscript to the post about black kids running distance, the runner that was about graduated. He had a pretty good cross country season as a senior, but seemed didn't run indoor or outdoor. There was a more direct issue at stake than a larger, general black American disinterest in distance running: he really preferred cross country to track, but his skillset was a bit more closely geared toward the latter. I hated losing a talented runner, and one I enjoyed having on the team. But if a kid is self-aware enough to ask the question "is this fun enough to spend my last six months of high school?" then that's ultimately a good thing.

I've got another freshman who's going to have to be a (not as rare as it was a few years ago) black, American kid running distance events and furthermore doing it on a pretty white team, in a pretty white conference, in an area where who runs which event is pretty segregated. But he's a TRACK KID, a multi-year veteran of those horrifying fourteen hour AAU meets so I suspect he's not really worried about it. Though, in an unrelated phenomenon, I always worry about burnout with the TRACK KIDS.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2701993 Previous topic | Next topic