Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2700958

Subject: "Is it just me?" Previous topic | Next topic
COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 05:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is it just me?"
Tue Jul-02-19 05:56 PM by COOLEHMAGAZINE

Warriors retiring Durant's number seems kinda goofy.

They aren't some brand new franchise with nothing to hang it's hat on, they been around, been had legends wear their jerseys.

But beyond even that, they had the best season of all time and won a title without him off the same core that was there when he came. He DEFINITELY helped turn a great team into a dynasty but he was in and out of that door pretty fast.

I'm glad both sides are parting with positive feelings and mutual appreciation. That is to be lauded. I just think it's kinda suspect, especially so fast. I don't want the Bulls retiring Rodman's number NOW, let alone the day after he left.

If it was Klay or Dray, I could see it. Founding members. If they leave you don't worry about where they are going or why they left, you just hoist the jersey. But Durant basically dropped a dope album on the label and kept it moving, so it seems a little fast to start building statues.

No agenda. I like GS, for the most part.

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: and won a title without him a year before
Jul 02nd 2019
PR move.
Jul 02nd 2019
RE: PR move.
Jul 02nd 2019
      I mean it won’t be retired til he is.
Jul 03rd 2019
Yeah, I was surprised
Jul 02nd 2019
that's more than a significant majority of the nba tho
Jul 03rd 2019
There were always going to retire his number no matter what
Jul 03rd 2019
Its kinda weird to do it while he's still playing but nobody else was ev...
Jul 03rd 2019
sounds like the guilt crept in when they made this announcement
Jul 03rd 2019
right
Jul 03rd 2019
2 finals mvps?? Cmon
Jul 03rd 2019
They are gonna retire 9, 11, 23, 30, 35
Jul 03rd 2019

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 05:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: and won a title without him a year before"
In response to Reply # 0

nope, they lost that year...still time to edit...?

I agree with the sentiment

When the story ran...it was definitely a WTF moment

Feels like they're trying to make up for his injury.

Has OKC/SEA even retired his number yet?

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 05:55 PM

2. "PR move."
In response to Reply # 0

The injury + the circulating clip of Myers roasting Durant at the parade last year is a bad look so...this.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 05:58 PM

3. "RE: PR move."
In response to Reply # 2

He could be in there winning chips for Brooklyn (admittedly this won't happen lol) with his jersey in the Warriors rafters thanks to a pit-stop.

Seems weird.

But you are prolly right.

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 12:53 AM

5. "I mean it won’t be retired til he is. "
In response to Reply # 3

But nobody will wear the number. So it won’t be in the rafters.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 08:02 PM

4. "Yeah, I was surprised"
In response to Reply # 0

He was only on the team three years and while he was a really important part of why they had their run he wasn't one of the core. That's probably half of the reason he left.

But I get it. The ownership LOVED KD (even more than Steph for whatever reason) and probably felt getting KD was a turning point in the legitimacy of the franchise. They went from a great team to a historic team.

They probably want to honor these past five years in any way they can and hanging up Durant's jersey fits with that. It's true that he never became as well thought of as Steph, Klay, Dray, and Iggy, some of that is his doing. But the org is giving every sign that they really appreciated what KD gave (and gave up - achilles) to the team.

Also, the Dubs have no real history outside of their championship in the 70's, the RUN-TMC years, and the We Believe team. Best to over celebrate than the alternative.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 08:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "that's more than a significant majority of the nba tho"
In response to Reply # 4

Boston, Lakers, GSW, Bulls, Spurs, Pistons

and then a couple teams that havent done shit since my dad was younger than i am now (NYK, PHI)

and thats about if for teams with history

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 02:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "There were always going to retire his number no matter what"
In response to Reply # 0

He was a huge reason for the dynasty and won two finals MVPs. They were going to recognize that.

During the season, KD went on some podcast (I believe it was Simmons), he said something to the effect of, "I want to stay forever and them to make statues of all of us." Afterwards, there was the sentiments around here that if he did leave, he probably wouldn't get a statue, but he'd get his number retired. Him and Myers an ownership got along well and parted on good terms. This was always in the cards.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 08:56 AM

8. "Its kinda weird to do it while he's still playing but nobody else was ev..."
In response to Reply # 0

going to wear 35

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79555 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 02:39 PM

9. "sounds like the guilt crept in when they made this announcement"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude was a beast for them but damn, it wasn’t that long of a run and they were reaching the Finals without him.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 03:17 PM

11. "right"
In response to Reply # 9

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59171 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 02:57 PM

10. "2 finals mvps?? Cmon"
In response to Reply # 0

Not weird

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 08:08 PM

12. "They are gonna retire 9, 11, 23, 30, 35"
In response to Reply # 0

Makes sense to me, this was a golden era for the franchise.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2700958 Previous topic | Next topic