Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2700305

Subject: "2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup" Previous topic | Next topic
jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 11:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup"

yo this Gold Cup has been nuts so far. I thought the group stages would be boring but i'm so glad I was wrong. these small nations who were supposed to be "minnows" came to play. Curacao getting their first goal, first win and first time making it out of the group stage all in spectacular fashion. Haiti going 3-0-0, beating Costa Rica and winning their group for the first time ever. Bermuda getting their first win in their first ever appearance. Martinique actually gave Mexico a decent match.

the Nations League has apparently been a rousing success despite all the consternation from most when it was first announced. quite a few of the coaches have given credit to the Nations League for giving their guys some more experience that they wouldn't have otherwise gotten before.

and for all the negative talk about VAR at the WWC there is no VAR at the Gold Cup and that has also been a problem. quite a few concerning calls (and non-calls). I have a feeling that it will be implemented by the next Gold Cup.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
ive only watched the mexico matches
Jun 26th 2019
i think it's both issues for Mexico
Jun 26th 2019
      mexico has quality players
Jun 26th 2019
Haiti came to play (highlights)
Jun 29th 2019
damn I knew that was going to be a good one
Jun 30th 2019
Mexico v Costa Rica going to penalties
Jun 29th 2019
Mexico survives 5-4 on pk's
Jun 29th 2019
dramatic but ugly game
Jun 30th 2019
that was a tough game
Jul 01st 2019
Jamaica going to 3rd straight GC semifinal (1-0 over Panama)
Jun 30th 2019
USA 1 - 0 Curacao
Jun 30th 2019
that game was sloppy
Jul 01st 2019
      agreed.
Jul 02nd 2019
      fwiw
Jul 03rd 2019
      Curacao played better than their ranking
Jul 03rd 2019
Haiti 0 - 1 Mexico (a.e.t.) (highlights)
Jul 03rd 2019
Jesus, Zardes is so fucking garbage.
Jul 03rd 2019
I don't watch MLS but he's been dreadful
Jul 05th 2019
      he's been up and down in his MLS career
Jul 05th 2019
           i saw 1 or 2 nice moments a few games ago
Jul 05th 2019
US wasted their chances first half
Jul 07th 2019

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 12:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "ive only watched the mexico matches"
In response to Reply # 0

i should at least be keeping up with scores/recaps of the others. who do you think will be the top 4?

mexico seems to be fading again after a big first win. could just be that the opponents have been better but with this being a pattern for them the last few years i have concerns. i think they will be okay.

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 12:33 PM

2. "i think it's both issues for Mexico"
In response to Reply # 1

>mexico seems to be fading again after a big first win. could
>just be that the opponents have been better but with this
>being a pattern for them the last few years i have concerns. i
>think they will be okay.

Mexico has always imo had an issue of being the big fish in a small pond. when you're the top dog everyone is gunning for you. just so happens that everyone that's gunning for them is getting better and better all the time. they keep saying that Mexico sent their B team (I hate that term btw) but it shouldn't matter. Mexico is a favorite no matter who they put out there. also I think the rule change with teams not being able to change their lineup after the groups stages like they used to might affect everyone, not just Mexico.

>who do you think will be the top 4?

if USA wins tonight they'll get Curacao in the knockouts which they should win. Jamaica should be able to handle Panama but they couldn't finish off Curacao when they had the chance. Haiti v Canada should probably be the best game. both teams have gotten better and I think they're pretty evenly matched. i'd give the slight edge to Haiti. Mexico v Costa Rica might be the toughest game. Mexico should win, but it won't be a pushover. so i'm going USA, Jamaica, Mexico and Haiti.

mista k5
16414 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 12:36 PM

3. "mexico has quality players"
In response to Reply # 2

they are missing a few big ones but they got plenty to win it and i wouldnt consider it a b team. if they dont win it all they cant use a b team excuse. hopefully they make a big statement with their next game.

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Sat Jun-29-19 11:13 PM

4. "Haiti came to play (highlights)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-29-19 11:15 PM by jrocc

Just when it looked like Canada was about to run away with it up 2-0 at the half, Haiti comes storming back with three unanswered goals. Wow!

https://youtu.be/ORgYNnY_sHQ

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Sun Jun-30-19 09:21 AM

7. "damn I knew that was going to be a good one"
In response to Reply # 4

But I watched WWC all day

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Sat Jun-29-19 11:38 PM

5. "Mexico v Costa Rica going to penalties "
In response to Reply # 0

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Sat Jun-29-19 11:55 PM

6. "Mexico survives 5-4 on pk's"
In response to Reply # 5

Ochoa with a big time save to win it.

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Sun Jun-30-19 10:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "dramatic but ugly game"
In response to Reply # 5

a lot of "barely soccer" type fouls on both sides

--------

mista k5
16414 posts
Mon Jul-01-19 09:58 AM

11. "that was a tough game"
In response to Reply # 5

either team could have won it

im wondering if that will be the best game of the cup.

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Sun Jun-30-19 09:28 PM

9. "Jamaica going to 3rd straight GC semifinal (1-0 over Panama)"
In response to Reply # 0

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Sun Jun-30-19 09:31 PM

10. "USA 1 - 0 Curacao"
In response to Reply # 0

Props to Curacao for aying as well as they did this tournament. The story is going to be that the U.S. didn't "put them away" but Curacao was actually going for it.

mista k5
16414 posts
Mon Jul-01-19 10:00 AM

12. "that game was sloppy"
In response to Reply # 10

i havent really watched usa play but they did not look good and it didnt look like it was because curacao was playing great.

im thinking jamaica will have a decisive win over usa. did usa just play down to curacao?

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 09:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "agreed."
In response to Reply # 12

US was just flat, and it wasn't because Curacao was doing anything amazing. I'm no big soccer follower but the talent level looks low -- Bradley still being one of the best midfield options even though he can't run with anybody is case in point.

not every match is going to be great, but the uninspired play and horrible touches (how many easy passes were ricocheted back to Curacao? how many shots were sent to row 32?) were concerning. although not surprising for a program that missed the WC last year.

--------

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 09:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "fwiw"
In response to Reply # 13

Bradley is only there because of injuries

with Yedlin healthy, a healthy Tyler Adams probably plays in the midfield with McKinnie and Pulisic

and Bradley is only even keeping a roster spot warm until Chris Durkin (who looked real good in the U20) joins the senior team

but overall you are correct. this is kind of a lost generation.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 07:55 AM

14. "Curacao played better than their ranking"
In response to Reply # 12

not trying to say that they are world beaters or anything like that, but they definitely have a better squad that their reputation would suggest. they out shot the USA and that's not nothing.

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 07:59 AM

15. "Haiti 0 - 1 Mexico (a.e.t.) (highlights)"
In response to Reply # 0

not gonna say Haiti was robbed on that penalty, but I predict there will be VAR at the next Gold Cup.

https://youtu.be/SkNGtnDfrgM

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 11:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "Jesus, Zardes is so fucking garbage."
In response to Reply # 0

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Fri Jul-05-19 12:25 PM

18. "I don't watch MLS but he's been dreadful"
In response to Reply # 17

in the Gold Cup games I've watched. hope the US has some kind of attacking talent in the pipeline...

--------

jrocc
Charter member
6504 posts
Fri Jul-05-19 08:35 PM

19. "he's been up and down in his MLS career"
In response to Reply # 18

he's got talent, but can't seem to be consistent. also a little injury prone.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Fri Jul-05-19 09:43 PM

20. "i saw 1 or 2 nice moments a few games ago"
In response to Reply # 19

but definitely nothing worth leaving Sargent off the team

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Sun Jul-07-19 11:07 PM

21. "US wasted their chances first half"
In response to Reply # 0

totally dominated in the second. midfield play basically disappeared from the 50th minute on.

--------

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2700305 Previous topic | Next topic