Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2698437

Subject: "Someone Shot Big Papi" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 07:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Someone Shot Big Papi"
Mon Jun-10-19 07:02 AM by Boogiedwn

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/06/10/david-ortiz-reportedly-shot-dominican-republic/?utm_term=.d05efb4fd1ea

VIDEO - https://twitter.com/TheRenderNHL/status/1137918857065222144?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1137918857065222144&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fdailysnark.com%2Fsecurity-camera-captures-video-of-david-ortiz-being-shot%2F

Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is in stable condition after being shot in the lower back and abdomen Sunday night at a Santo Domingo bar and restaurant in the Dominican Republic.

"He is out of surgery and stable; he is resting,'' Leo Ortiz said (via the Associated Press). “Big Papi will be around for a long time.''

Citing local authorities, ESPN reported that Ortiz, 43, was shot at close range by a man who had just gotten off a motorcycle at around 8:50 p.m. at the Dial Bar and Lounge, located in an upscale nightspot district of the capital. He was taken to the Abel Gonzalez clinic, where he underwent surgery. Leo Ortiz, according to ESPN, said that doctors expect a full recovery and that no major organs were struck. ESPN’s Enrique Rojas cited a more specific report indicating that parts of Ortiz’s colon as well as his gallbladder were removed and “his liver was also damaged.”

Dionisio Soldevila, a reporter and radio host from the Dominican Republic told ESPN that he had spoken with a doctor who first treated Ortiz and said that the bullet went through his body. According to Soldevila, Ortiz told doctors, “Please don’t let me die. I’m a good man.”

The shooting set off a chaotic scene. Security footage shows Ortiz seated at a table near the street when the gunman pulls up and fires, with Ortiz falling to the ground. (Video here contains NSFW language.) The gunman was quickly caught and beaten by onlookers, according to Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte. The shooter will be questioned, Bautista told the Associated Press, after he is treated for injuries.

It is unclear so far whether Ortiz, who was known to frequent the Dial and spends at least part of the year in his home country, was the intended target, according to Bautista, and Leo Ortiz told local media he had no idea why his son would have been targeted. In addition to Ortiz, two other people were wounded, including Jhoel Lopez, a Dominican TV host who was with the former player. Bautista said he believes the same bullet struck both Ortiz and Lopez, who was hit in the leg. His injuries are not life-threatening, his wife, TV host Liza Blanco, said. The third person and the injuries he or she sustained were not named.

In a statement provided to The Post, the Red Sox said that “we have offered David’s family all available resources to aid in his recovery and will continue to keep them in our hearts.”

A standout for the Red Sox on the field and their emotional leader in the clubhouse, the 10-time all-star helped the franchise break its 86-year drought with a World Series win in 2004. The team won two more championships with him, including in 2013 when he was named MVP of the World Series. He retired after the 2016 season.

“I’m at peace knowing you out of danger; you a strong man Compai, can’t wait to hear your voice,” Pedro Martinez, his former teammate, tweeted. “My thoughts and prayers are with you, see you soon.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I mean, why?
Jun 10th 2019
no major organs were struck, but....
Jun 10th 2019
right, shit was hella close, did they say what kind of gun it was?
Jun 10th 2019
whoever did it is a dead man.
Jun 10th 2019
that looked like a hit job
Jun 10th 2019
amateur though...
Jun 10th 2019
Ortiz is like a god in DR
Jun 10th 2019
Probably over a puta-chica!
Jun 10th 2019
Man..
Jun 10th 2019
      I guessed it lol, I saw a photo of his wife....
Jun 10th 2019

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16151 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 07:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I mean, why?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 08:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "no major organs were struck, but...."
In response to Reply # 0

they had to remove parts of his intestines, colon and gall bladder and his liver was damaged??? Maybe it's just wording, but that sounds major. Either way, wow. The surveillance video with dude creeping up from behind while Papi is just chillin...fucked up.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 09:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "right, shit was hella close, did they say what kind of gun it was?"
In response to Reply # 2

>they had to remove parts of his intestines, colon and gall
>bladder and his liver was damaged??? Maybe it's just wording,
>but that sounds major. Either way, wow. The surveillance
>video with dude creeping up from behind while Papi is just
>chillin...fucked up.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 09:22 AM

3. "whoever did it is a dead man."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

jrocc
Charter member
6492 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 10:37 AM

5. "that looked like a hit job"
In response to Reply # 0

at first they made it seem like it was an attempted robbery, but it looked like dude just rolled up on him and popped him in the back.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 11:04 AM

6. "amateur though..."
In response to Reply # 5

>at first they made it seem like it was an attempted robbery,
>but it looked like dude just rolled up on him and popped him
>in the back.

makaveli
Charter member
16293 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 12:07 PM

7. "Ortiz is like a god in DR"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-10-19 12:22 PM by makaveli

Hopefully all of this crazy stuff that's been happening doesn't hurt tourism too much.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 05:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Probably over a puta-chica!"
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

Beezo
Charter member
27538 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 05:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Man.."
In response to Reply # 8

https://nypost.com/2019/06/10/drug-lord-may-have-hired-david-ortiz-shooter-over-alleged-affair-with-his-wife/

He's lucky to be alive

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Mon Jun-10-19 05:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "I guessed it lol, I saw a photo of his wife...."
In response to Reply # 9

that's why I figured it was over a puta. Any Dominican that marries a non-Dominican is an idiot lol. THose women are BADDDDDD

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2698437 Previous topic | Next topic