Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2697405

Subject: "Anthony Joshua vs Ruiz| KatieTaylor vs Delfine Persoon| DAZN card 6.1.19" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Thu May-30-19 08:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anthony Joshua vs Ruiz| KatieTaylor vs Delfine Persoon| DAZN card 6.1.19"
Thu May-30-19 08:21 AM by Boogie Stimuli

This is actually a good fight card despite the change of opponent.

After Miller got busted with PED cocktail, Andy Ruiz was the opponent finally settled on for Joshua. The intrigue here is that Joshua's only officially gone the distance with one opponent (Joseph Parker). That's an opponent he has in common with Andy Ruiz who also went the distance with him. Some even argue that Ruiz won the fight, as it was in Parker's backyard.
People talk about Ruiz' chubby build and all (he always has a Snicker bar and is working on a sponsorship deal with them), but I don't care about that. His real issue is that he's 4 inches shorter. But he does have quick hands. I expect Joshua to win, but I don't know how easy it'll be for him.

The biggest fight on this card imo is Katie Taylor vs Delfine Persoon for the undisputed Lightweight. The winner here will be only the 3rd undisputed boxer in the history of women's boxing and the 2nd one to become undisputed in this very year (Claressa Shields did it on April 13th). Taylor is considered the golden child here. There's been a documentary on his life, she's a devout Christian, she won a gold medal in the olympics, and she's a helluva boxer of course. She undefeated while Persoon only has one loss in 44 fights, but she hasn't lost in 9 years. The one fight she lost, she'd just gotten out of the hosptial earlier that day.
Katie's quick on her feet and has fast hands. She's likes to dart in and out. I'm not fond of the way she likes to hold when her opponents start landing punches tho. Which the speed of her feet, you don't see her hold super often like a Christina Hammer, but I've noticed the clinching when she isn't in complete control.
Persoon seems pretty telegraphed with her shots, but she hits pretty hard and has alotta fight in her. Taylor has long said Persoon would be her toughest fight, so we'll see. Persoon's never fought outside of her home of Belgium while Taylor has always had to fight away from home, because Ireland won't hold boxing matches or something?

Another fight I'm looking forward to on this card is Josh Kelly vs Ray Robinson.
Welterweight Matchup.
They're resurrecting Ray Robinson via hologram for a pioneering, historical matchup....
Just kidding.
This kid Josh Kelly seems to think he's Roy Jones Jr, fighting with his hands low and trying to depend on reflexes, but he's doesn't have that RJJ skill level. He's fun to watch tho, because that shit don't be working sometimes lol.
Robinson isn't the best, but he was in the olympics with Terence Crawford and is kind of a gatekeeper. Gonna be interesting to see how Kelly performs in this step-up bout outside of the UK against an American gatekeeper.

The other fight here is Callum Smith vs Hassan N'Dam. This is a dumb fight for N'Dam. He's 35 and has fought most of his career at middleweight. He just moved up to Super middleweight in his last fight after getting KO'd in his previous fight at middleweight. Callum Smith is a huge puncher who retired George Groves with a 7th round KO recently, so this is just a showcase fight. Expect a stoppage.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My boy been sending me Ruiz highlights for weeks now
May 30th 2019
RE: My boy been sending me Ruiz highlights for weeks now
May 30th 2019
your boy had the vision
Jun 03rd 2019
Josh Kelly ain't ready
Jun 01st 2019
Persoon is looking MUCH better than I expected
Jun 01st 2019
A GREAT fight with a fucking BS decision
Jun 01st 2019
Ruiz done knocked Joshua down twice in the 3rd LOL
Jun 01st 2019
DUDE!!!!! Ruiz won!!!!
Jun 01st 2019
Bwahahahahahahhajahahahahajajajajajjajaja
Jun 01st 2019
lolz
Jun 01st 2019
YOOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 01st 2019
Thats what these guys get for ducking each other....
Jun 01st 2019
How do we rank the HWs now?
Jun 01st 2019
Hmmm...
Jun 02nd 2019
      Not mad at this nm
Jun 03rd 2019
dude got stopped by gabriel iglesias.
Jun 02nd 2019
this how homies hood about to be tomorrow:
Jun 02nd 2019
      He'll never have to pay for a meal again
Jun 02nd 2019
      He going to be up in church
Jun 02nd 2019
joshua some shit smh
Jun 02nd 2019
Exclusive phone interview with Wilder right after the fight
Jun 02nd 2019
https://twitter.com/anthonyfjoshua/status/1108848954807066625?s=19
Jun 02nd 2019
https://twitter.com/loudibella/status/1135032844655484929
Jun 02nd 2019
      Lol...damn
Jun 02nd 2019
i don't know why the fat jokes are bothering me so much
Jun 03rd 2019
Deadspin had basically a whole article that shat on Ruiz
Jun 03rd 2019
I know exactly which article you're talking about
Jun 03rd 2019
its cause AJ is cut from stone how we like our heroes to be.
Jun 03rd 2019
That 3rd round was fucking crazy.
Jun 03rd 2019
Andy Ruiz Jr on Jimmy Kimmel
Jun 05th 2019
Rematch clause triggered. Happening in Nov/Dec
Jun 05th 2019
George Foreman's take is the absolute best
Jun 05th 2019
Katie Taylor calls for rematch after getting flamed by the fans
Jun 05th 2019

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Thu May-30-19 09:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My boy been sending me Ruiz highlights for weeks now"
In response to Reply # 0

He's a big fan (mostly cause he's Mexican lol)

at first I saw a ton of hooking power shots and not much else. I even asked my boy, 'does he throw anything else?'

then I saw his footwork and use of the jab to close distance (like you said he almost always is fighting taller guys) to set up the straight cross that has a ton of power. He does it really well.

He's not all power but finesse too. Should be a good fight.

https://gfycat.com/viciousshadowyhippopotamus-andy-ruiz-boxing-boxeo

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Thu May-30-19 09:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: My boy been sending me Ruiz highlights for weeks now"
In response to Reply # 1

>He's a big fan (mostly cause he's Mexican lol)

Man, I love how much support boxers get in the Mexican community.

>at first I saw a ton of hooking power shots and not much else.
>I even asked my boy, 'does he throw anything else?'
>
>then I saw his footwork and use of the jab to close distance
>(like you said he almost always is fighting taller guys) to
>set up the straight cross that has a ton of power. He does it
>really well.
>
>He's not all power but finesse too. Should be a good fight.

Yeah man, it was wild watching him stop Dimitrenko in his last fight, with Dimitrenko being the same height as Joshua. Dude had every physical advantage possible, and Ruiz found a way to break him down by finding a way around that reach disparity. Ruiz can take some shots too, because he ate some getting on the inside in that fight. He also took some good shots against Joseph Parker who looked big next to him yet small af next to AJ. Ruiz has been REALLY wanting this fight since he saw AJ's performance against Parker, and said after that Dimitrenko fight that he'd go right back into the gym if he was offered the AJ fight, because he really wanted it... and then he gets it. Fate would have it that this is his chance. Considering Ruiz' desire for it, I'm really interested in how the fight will play out.

~
~
~
~
~

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85057 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:40 AM

26. "your boy had the vision"
In response to Reply # 1

<--- Big Baller World Order

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 07:35 PM

3. "Josh Kelly ain't ready"
In response to Reply # 0

That boy got punched on by a slow, no-power having gatekeeper with no power. Out there tryna showboat like he Prince Hamed and getting his face cut up. Shit looked bad. Only reason he didn't get KO'd is because Robinson is slow and punches timidly, but Ray was backing this guy up and landing more punches. If Kelly was a thinker in the ring, we would've realized Robinson was very susceptible to left hooks after he throws his punches, because he keeps his right hand low and got caught with that punch in many exchanges during the fight. Ray just isn't that good, but a top Welterweight would destroy Kelly.
The fight ended up being a majority draw. Robinson won imo, but it was a close fight, so Kelly got gifted since the fight was under his own promoter. Robinson has no promoter. I figured that would be the result seeing how close the right was.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 08:08 PM

4. "Persoon is looking MUCH better than I expected "
In response to Reply # 0

Midway point, Katie isn't used to this kind of fight. Persoon is making this rough and catching Taylor is more shots than she's accustomed to.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 08:30 PM

5. "A GREAT fight with a fucking BS decision"
In response to Reply # 0

Persoon beat Katie up that whole fight. Katie had her moments, but she caught a beating. Persoon's reach and unorthodox style gave Taylor some real problems. I have NEVER seen Taylor's head snap back that much. Katie is a boxer, but Delfine is a FIGHTER and she won that fight. I feel really bad for Persoon. They could've at least called it a draw. That was just bad. Katie got one of them Canelo decisions tonight.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 10:00 PM

6. "Ruiz done knocked Joshua down twice in the 3rd LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

Joshua knocked him down, then Ruiz came back with a vengeance. Crazy 3rd round. Joshua won't make it against no Wilder fam.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 10:14 PM

7. "DUDE!!!!! Ruiz won!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Aj goes down twice in the 7th, AJ spits out his mouthpiece, ref tries to get AJ to engage and he won't.... ref waves it off.
Blood pouring from AJ's nose.

Ruiz becomes the FIRST Mexican Heavyweight Champion.
Ruiz now the UNIFIED Heavyweight Champion.
LOL
damnnnnnnn

~
~
~
~
~

b2thej
Member since Feb 11th 2005
9146 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 10:15 PM

8. "Bwahahahahahahhajahahahahajajajajajjajaja"
In response to Reply # 0

PSN ID - dirty_MF_bucks

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 10:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "lolz"
In response to Reply # 0

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 10:23 PM

10. "YOOOOOOOOOOO"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm speechless

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 10:37 PM

11. "Thats what these guys get for ducking each other...."
In response to Reply # 0

end up losing to a guy you didn't take seriously trying to get what you thought was an easy payday....

smh…

snacks
5814 posts
Sat Jun-01-19 11:23 PM

12. "How do we rank the HWs now?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd say:

1. Fury
2. Wilder
3. Usyk (assuming he officially moves up after injury)
4. Ruiz
5. Ortiz
6. AJ

The Brand Pod

The Life Pod

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 08:19 PM

22. "Hmmm..."
In response to Reply # 12

I'm not very committed to the idea of rankings, but this is an interesting one now. I've long said Usyk would embarrass the hell outta AJ, but I can't rank him among heavyweights without him even having a heavyweight fight yet, despite him being in my personal top 3 current favorite boxers. Alotta outlets had AJ at number one solely due to the number of belts he had, so it's only right that they now have Ruiz at the top, but we'll see what they do. That said, I'll go with:

1a.)Wilder

1b.)Fury

(I'll let the rematch show us who's truly number one)

3.)Ruiz

4.)Ortiz (I really hate putting Ortiz this low, b/c he was cheated outta title shots, but I see his age catching up to him now)

5.)Whyte

6.)Joseph Parker (The UK ref saved AJ from this guy... kept breaking them every time Parker got close enough to work on the inside. I strongly feel he would've beaten AJ in a properly refereed match)

~
~
~
~
~

snacks
5814 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 05:49 PM

28. "Not mad at this nm"
In response to Reply # 22

The Brand Pod

The Life Pod

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 12:15 AM

13. "dude got stopped by gabriel iglesias."
In response to Reply # 0

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 12:25 AM

14. "this how homies hood about to be tomorrow:"
In response to Reply # 13

https://youtu.be/y2cFkVfVf2Y

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 05:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "He'll never have to pay for a meal again"
In response to Reply # 14

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 06:46 AM

17. "He going to be up in church "
In response to Reply # 14

https://youtu.be/sgqZwTOqGh4

BrooklynWHAT
85057 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 02:24 AM

15. "joshua some shit smh"
In response to Reply # 0

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 07:04 AM

18. "Exclusive phone interview with Wilder right after the fight"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jun-02-19 07:07 AM by Boogie Stimuli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDb3-VdFIsc

You can FEEL Wilder in this one, as he's able to completely be himself here.
He addresses what really made him mad about the fight (AJ quitting) and a few other things, including the shady media practices of Matchroom.
He's done countless exclusives with this channel and even broken news there, but major outlets won't cite their source, mainly because 78 is quick to point out racism in boxing.

~
~
~
~
~

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 10:19 AM

19. "https://twitter.com/anthonyfjoshua/status/1108848954807066625?s=19"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/anthonyfjoshua/status/1108848954807066625?s=19

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 01:05 PM

20. "https://twitter.com/loudibella/status/1135032844655484929"
In response to Reply # 19

https://twitter.com/loudibella/status/1135032844655484929

~
~
~
~
~

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sun Jun-02-19 01:20 PM

21. "Lol...damn"
In response to Reply # 20

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 08:14 AM

23. "i don't know why the fat jokes are bothering me so much"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean I know we hate fat people so it's to be expected. it just seems to be excessive this time. it's not even like we haven't seen dudes in his shape fighting and winning for decades. I don't know fam.

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:09 AM

24. "Deadspin had basically a whole article that shat on Ruiz"
In response to Reply # 23

------------------
One Hundred.

snacks
5814 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 05:50 PM

29. "I know exactly which article you're talking about"
In response to Reply # 24

I didn't even click that bullshit based on the title

The Brand Pod

The Life Pod

BrooklynWHAT
85057 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:42 AM

27. "its cause AJ is cut from stone how we like our heroes to be."
In response to Reply # 23

i looked up some of Ruiz training clips after the fight and ol boy is quite light on his feet.

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:10 AM

25. "That 3rd round was fucking crazy."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 05:44 AM

30. "Andy Ruiz Jr on Jimmy Kimmel"
In response to Reply # 0

You can tell this was his first time being on this kind of stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Wpj6E0RV4

He seemed more comfortable in this short interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir7EkVemuYM

I love this guy. Just seems like a super cool dude.
I'm always impressed by the ease with which he fights taller opponents, and I figured it was just because he's a short heavyweight by today's standards, but he had his first amateur fight at 7, and had to fight 12 yr olds since there was no one his age in his weight class. He was the shorter guy in the ring from day one.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 05:47 AM

31. "Rematch clause triggered. Happening in Nov/Dec"
In response to Reply # 0

Venue to be confirmed shortly
According to Joshua's promoter, Eddie Hearn

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 06:24 AM

32. "George Foreman's take is the absolute best"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1i0B6JHTc

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 07:01 AM

33. "Katie Taylor calls for rematch after getting flamed by the fans"
In response to Reply # 0

She can't even make a twitter post without people telling her she lost and doesn't deserve her belts. It's definitely a tainted "win." A rematch is the only way her undisputed title will truly be respected.
There are reports that Delfine Persoon and team are appealing the decision as well. She should be undisputed champion right now. Poor woman left the ring in tears without even giving an interview. She'd expressed her skepticism about the judging in a foreign country in interviews before the match, so it's like her worst nightmare came true.

This rematch should be fantastic.

~
~
~
~
~

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2697405 Previous topic | Next topic