Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2695817

Subject: "PBC Fox: Hurd vs. Williams FOTY" Previous topic | Next topic
Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Sat May-11-19 09:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"PBC Fox: Hurd vs. Williams FOTY"
Sat May-11-19 09:48 PM by Roadblock

Williams was on fire. PPV quality

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Great fuckin fight
May 11th 2019
awesome fight.
May 11th 2019
RE: awesome fight.
May 11th 2019
RE: PBC Fox: Hurd vs. Williams FOTY
May 14th 2019
That inside game destroyed Hurd... key to exposing him imo
May 15th 2019
them boys went to war. nm
May 15th 2019
Very upset I wasn't able to be there but glad I saw it
May 15th 2019
Interview with J-Rock on The Fight w/ Teddy Atlas
May 30th 2019

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Sat May-11-19 10:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Great fuckin fight"
In response to Reply # 0

Hurd cuts nearly 50 lbs to fight at 154, and has beaten some high level competition (Trout, Lara, etc) with pure size and next to no skill. I figured this would be another of those kinds of fights, but boy was I wrong.
I didn't think anyone at 154 had the skill it took to beat a guy as huge and Hurd and with such a good chin, but J-Rock went out there and showed us how it's done. That was super impressive on J-Rock's part, and it was quite a joy to watch. The amount of skill it takes to fight such a huge guy on the inside, the punch selection, the slipping of shots, the IQ, omg it was glorious. It was like J-Rock couldn't miss, and I enjoyed every second of it.
I've made no secret of the fact that I thought Hurd wasn't very good as a boxer and that he was winning mainly on his size. Even HE said in the Fox face-to-face that his size was one of the main reasons he'd win the fight. It was literally the first asset he listed when asked. I hated seeing him run around talking about being a high caliber fighter when it was evident he's not, so I'm celebrating true skill having those belts lol. Congrats to J-Rock, man. He deserves those belts.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Sat May-11-19 10:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "awesome fight."
In response to Reply # 0

Hurd was getting tagged. I've never seen either of them fight, but was wondering why the commentators kept saying Hurd wanted to fight inside.

just looking at the size diff, that seemed like a horrible strategy. He was outclassed most of the fight.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sat May-11-19 10:34 PM

3. "RE: awesome fight."
In response to Reply # 2

>Hurd was getting tagged. I've never seen either of them
>fight, but was wondering why the commentators kept saying Hurd
>wanted to fight inside.
>
>just looking at the size diff, that seemed like a horrible
>strategy. He was outclassed most of the fight.

Watch his last 3 fights if you can. People try to move and box against him, but he just walks them down while taking punches to the face. His size and pressure just breaks his opponents down over time. He's gotten outclassed over and over despite his victories. He's just so huge that it hasn't mattered until tonight. J-Rock showed that boy how to BOX tonight.

~
~
~
~
~

S_Ali
Charter member
1479 posts
Tue May-14-19 11:47 AM

4. "RE: PBC Fox: Hurd vs. Williams FOTY"
In response to Reply # 0

>Williams was on fire. PPV quality

I was at the fight. My cousin felt like the Redskins band was a bad omen. J Rock left no doubt about the decision. He won just about every aspect of this fight, more effective on the inside. He couldn't miss Hurd with his jab. Fight was even better after I saw it on TV.

I've argued otherwise but it is quite possible Hurd may have already reached his ceiling. I'm not really seeing gradual improvement over time. He is still a huge guy at 154 with questionable defense and frankly at times can appear to be a novice in terms of his foot positioning when punching. He has blaring limitations that he has been able to overcome against top tier opponents. J Rock is not small for 154 and is a solid puncher. If Jarrett has defensive limitations and can be hurt by guys at 154 he will have trouble when he moves up to 160.

I still think there is a chance he can beat Williams in a rematch. He should have kept the fight outside more. He was unable to finish like he normally does IMO because he took so much punishment early. I liked Hurd's chances in this fight because I've seen J Rock fade late and that is where Hurd typically finishes strong. There was no question J Rock was the better boxer going into the fight. But J Rock showed he was about that life on the inside too. Awesome performance. Both guys were the first day of school after the fight, ALL CLASS. Fan of both guys and can't wait to see the rematch.

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Wed May-15-19 12:27 AM

5. "That inside game destroyed Hurd... key to exposing him imo"
In response to Reply # 4

I think "exposure" is a great word here, because Hurd was getting alotta props for KO'ing Trout and beating Lara. I kept saying he beat both them guys with pure size and pressure. This fight showed everybody why that's true. Trout and Lara both like to box and keep their distance, and Hurd wouldn't allow them to do that. They hit him with EVERYTHING and he kept coming. It wasn't that Hurd was great on the inside, he just didn't allow space or breathers. He presented pacing and pressure that they couldn't deal with.
But that didn't work on J-Rock, b/c J-Rock didn't try to keep his distance from Hurd. He's damn near a master on the inside and brought the fight TO Hurd... something that nobody ever does. I did NOT expect to see this dude backing Hurd up, but Hurd had to back up, b/c his inside game actually isn't that good. Actually, there isn't any particular part of Hurd's game that's good. That said, I don't think fighting on the outside in the rematch is gonna help him, because even in this fight J-Rock was jabbing him up from the outside because he's wayyyy quicker than Hurd. Hurd looked like a big slow-motion sasquatch in comparison. I honestly think it's gonna take Hurd more than a few months to be good enough to beat J-Rock.
One last thing, Hurd has been relying on his chin, taking shots for a few fights now, AND he cuts a LOT of weight. His chin could be softening up due to both of these things. The head can only take so many punches... chins deteriorate if they take too much punishment, so if the boy don't tighten up his defense, he might fuck around and get KO'd in a rematch.

>I was at the fight. My cousin felt like the Redskins band was
>a bad omen. J Rock left no doubt about the decision. He won
>just about every aspect of this fight, more effective on the
>inside. He couldn't miss Hurd with his jab. Fight was even
>better after I saw it on TV.
>
>I've argued otherwise but it is quite possible Hurd may have
>already reached his ceiling. I'm not really seeing gradual
>improvement over time. He is still a huge guy at 154 with
>questionable defense and frankly at times can appear to be a
>novice in terms of his foot positioning when punching. He has
>blaring limitations that he has been able to overcome against
>top tier opponents. J Rock is not small for 154 and is a
>solid puncher. If Jarrett has defensive limitations and can
>be hurt by guys at 154 he will have trouble when he moves up
>to 160.
>
>I still think there is a chance he can beat Williams in a
>rematch. He should have kept the fight outside more. He was
>unable to finish like he normally does IMO because he took so
>much punishment early. I liked Hurd's chances in this fight
>because I've seen J Rock fade late and that is where Hurd
>typically finishes strong. There was no question J Rock was
>the better boxer going into the fight. But J Rock showed he
>was about that life on the inside too. Awesome performance.
>Both guys were the first day of school after the fight, ALL
>CLASS. Fan of both guys and can't wait to see the rematch.

~
~
~
~
~

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed May-15-19 07:44 PM

6. "them boys went to war. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Wed May-15-19 09:54 PM

7. "Very upset I wasn't able to be there but glad I saw it "
In response to Reply # 0

Massive respect to both fighters. Both won/lost with class

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Thu May-30-19 04:57 AM

8. "Interview with J-Rock on The Fight w/ Teddy Atlas"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-30-19 04:58 AM by Boogie Stimuli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ak31n0gRAg

Really good interview. Teddy asks some great questions, and J-Rock gives some great answers and insight into his life, mindset, and the fight with Hurd.
The only part I didn't like it Teddy talking about Mike Tyson. He's just not fond of him, and that's fine, but J-Rock tries to defend Tyson to some degree, and Teddy's just not hearing it. Other than that, it's a really good interview, and I'm glad to have someone like J-Rock getting such a spotlight.

~
~
~
~
~

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2695817 Previous topic | Next topic