Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2695486

Subject: "Will we ever see another NBA player pass up a max deal for 1+1 deal?" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu May-09-19 06:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Will we ever see another NBA player pass up a max deal for 1+1 deal?"

Lebron did it for a few years in Cleveland some say holding that franchise hostage. KD has done it the last few years in GS but is expected to finally cash in big this summer with a max deal especially after last night's scare.

I think Kawhi will definitely sign a max deal where ever he goes. I can't see any other of the current stars willingly taking that risk.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Did KD almost have a career ending injury?
May 09th 2019
no but initially people thought it was an achilles and I'm sure it scare...
May 09th 2019
      So bc 'people' thought it was an achillies, KD was worried
May 09th 2019
           he's 30 years old...
May 09th 2019
                he's got so much bread though, i think he will make a basketball decisio...
May 09th 2019
                he makes the most money and the best basketball decision by staying put....
May 10th 2019
                     yes he does but i don't see him necessarily valuing that
May 10th 2019
                          I honestly don't think this is important to him...
May 10th 2019
                At this point sure. Especially if he's leaving the best team
May 09th 2019
only so many people are ever in a position to do it
May 09th 2019
he wants the security of a long term max deal like everybody else
May 09th 2019
That's exactly it.
May 09th 2019
      kyrie doesn't have the health, dame/russ don't have the success
May 09th 2019
           Exactly.
May 09th 2019
It'll be interesting to see which front office
May 09th 2019
Lebron was a unique situation, in his prime and at that point had never....
May 09th 2019
he'll get the four-year max from LAC or five from toronto, book it
May 09th 2019
      The man, for whatever his reasons were
May 10th 2019
      He doesn't seem motivated by "normal" things
May 10th 2019
           this is how I feel...
May 10th 2019
           To sweeten that deal
May 13th 2019
                like he was saying, Kawhi ain't tripping off that "superteam" shit
May 13th 2019
      I think Ujiri leaves T-Dot this summer tho....
May 13th 2019
ever? probably but it was never common and never will be
May 09th 2019
I can be smart but its a huge gamble on your health, I bet Boogie...
May 10th 2019
      Who else offerred him a deal last summer?
May 10th 2019
      don't know but I figure he could've gotten more than 5mil he got from...
May 10th 2019
           He didnt, thats why he just went to GS
May 10th 2019
      he would have gotten more than the MLE but nothing close to a max
May 10th 2019
Seems increasingly likely you'll have your answer: Kawhi
Jun 05th 2019
I can’t see it, he’s playing hurt now, he’s coming off a major...
Jun 05th 2019
      You seem way more worried about players' injuries and security
Jun 06th 2019
           so you think the players aren't concerned about that? Its a regular...
Jun 06th 2019
kawhi.
Jun 05th 2019
I Wouldn't Be Surprised If Klay Did
Jun 07th 2019
also a possibility, his missing the all-nba team puts it in play for sur...
Jun 08th 2019
      or not.
Jun 14th 2019

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59168 posts
Thu May-09-19 06:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Did KD almost have a career ending injury?"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu May-09-19 08:51 AM

2. "no but initially people thought it was an achilles and I'm sure it scare..."
In response to Reply # 1

the shit out of him

Cenario
59168 posts
Thu May-09-19 01:26 PM

5. "So bc 'people' thought it was an achillies, KD was worried"
In response to Reply # 2

Bc he doesnt have a long term deal?

Lets pretend that logic makes sense. Thats the exact reason why you sign a 1+1 deal. He could opt in, recover while on making 30mil, and still get offered a max when he comes back.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu May-09-19 01:38 PM

6. "he's 30 years old..."
In response to Reply # 5

he's never been the physical specimen that Bron is and KD has had battled with minor nagging injuries the past few years. At this point it makes sense for him to quit playing around and secure the bag and re-up for 5 years/$200mil. Seeing what happened with Boogie first hand probably helped that decision.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu May-09-19 04:05 PM

11. "he's got so much bread though, i think he will make a basketball decisio..."
In response to Reply # 6

or a personal one, but not a financial one. if i were him i'd stay. take the money and stay on the best team. but he's got his own goals and stuff, which seem kind of mysterious, so i could easily see him signing elsewhere. i do think he'll take the four-year max but that's what almost any player would do. the only exception i think is if he decides to go the lakers, which is a remote possibility at best anyway. there i could see him doing a 1+1 because there's a lot of instability there and bron is old. set up that eject button. but that's probably moot anyway because moving into lebron's shadow is probably the last thing he wants to do.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri May-10-19 08:47 AM

16. "he makes the most money and the best basketball decision by staying put...."
In response to Reply # 11

>or a personal one, but not a financial one. if i were him i'd
>stay. take the money and stay on the best team. but he's got
>his own goals and stuff, which seem kind of mysterious, so i
>could easily see him signing elsewhere. i do think he'll take
>the four-year max but that's what almost any player would do.
>the only exception i think is if he decides to go the lakers,
>which is a remote possibility at best anyway. there i could
>see him doing a 1+1 because there's a lot of instability there
>and bron is old. set up that eject button. but that's probably
>moot anyway because moving into lebron's shadow is probably
>the last thing he wants to do.

If he leaves honestly I could see him in LA before NY. Him and Kyrie on the Knicks would be older version of him and Russ with 10 times the media attention and I don't think he wants that.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri May-10-19 01:53 PM

21. "yes he does but i don't see him necessarily valuing that"
In response to Reply # 16

yes financially and professionally he should stay but he hasn't given any strong indicator that he will. i think he would be nasty AF on a team like the nets. he'd be the undisputed alpha but he'd also have support.

a lot of the buying power for teams like the knicks, suns and hawks depends on the lotto. so it's hard to define who the suitors are. if durant were to go to LA, i'd think clippers over lakers. i do not see him teaming up with lebron.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri May-10-19 02:36 PM

24. "I honestly don't think this is important to him..."
In response to Reply # 21

>i think he
>would be nasty AF on a team like the nets. he'd be the
>undisputed alpha but he'd also have support.

that "alpha" shit can be overrated when things aren't going well, ask Kyrie

Cenario
59168 posts
Thu May-09-19 04:43 PM

12. "At this point sure. Especially if he's leaving the best team"
In response to Reply # 6

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "only so many people are ever in a position to do it"
In response to Reply # 0

KD's pockets are straight even if it all ended last night, he's in a different zone.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu May-09-19 01:40 PM

7. "he wants the security of a long term max deal like everybody else"
In response to Reply # 3

>KD's pockets are straight even if it all ended last night,
>he's in a different zone.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Thu May-09-19 04:47 PM

13. "That's exactly it."
In response to Reply # 3

There aren't that many players who have:

1. Whatever successes they've deemed essential (like a ring)
2. Hugely successful financially - including bonuses like being an all star before a max deal, or whatever
3. Health to that point in their career

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Thu May-09-19 05:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "kyrie doesn't have the health, dame/russ don't have the success"
In response to Reply # 13

anthony davis or a karl-anthony towns doesn't havethe off-the-court revenue stream to make up for potential losses

maybe giannis someday if they win this year?

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Thu May-09-19 05:58 PM

15. "Exactly."
In response to Reply # 14

I could MAYBE see Giannis doing it, but he doesn't have the marketability of a Durant or Lebron - probably because he's not American. Very tough for me to see anyone in the league right today doing it.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Thu May-09-19 11:52 AM

4. "It'll be interesting to see which front office"
In response to Reply # 0

manages to secure Kawhi for a long term 4-5 year deal. I dunno which team has the roster right now to convince him to make that kind of commitment, but I suppose things can change this summer.

Also will be interesting to see if Giannis will agree to lock himself to a long term deal with Milwaukee since that'll remove any kind of leverage he could hold over the front office in terms of coaching/roster changes. I don't think it would be wise for him to sign that kind of deal, but I suppose I could be wrong, especially if they manage to win it all this season.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu May-09-19 01:44 PM

8. "Lebron was a unique situation, in his prime and at that point had never...."
In response to Reply # 4

had any major injuries plus he had tremendous revenue streams off the court.

Kawhi on the other hand had missed significant time with injuries, I don't think he'll play around.

>manages to secure Kawhi for a long term 4-5 year deal. I
>dunno which team has the roster right now to convince him to
>make that kind of commitment, but I suppose things can change
>this summer.
>
>Also will be interesting to see if Giannis will agree to lock
>himself to a long term deal with Milwaukee since that'll
>remove any kind of leverage he could hold over the front
>office in terms of coaching/roster changes. I don't think it
>would be wise for him to sign that kind of deal, but I suppose
>I could be wrong, especially if they manage to win it all this
>season.

like I sad that was a risky thing Lebron and KD did but I don't see it becoming the norm

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu May-09-19 04:02 PM

10. "he'll get the four-year max from LAC or five from toronto, book it"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu May-09-19 04:02 PM by ConcreteCharlie

toronto has a solid situation with a good young player developing into a star and they have great management. i see no issue there. the clippers would be his foremost suitor and they also have committed ownership, superb management, elite coaching and the ability to surround him with one or two more huge stars. i'm not seeing any cold feet on his part, even if he is out of the box in some ways.

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Fri May-10-19 01:09 PM

20. "The man, for whatever his reasons were"
In response to Reply # 10

was skittish enough to force the Spurs to move him and he's going to make a four year commitment to the Clippers when he's never played for Doc Rivers or make a five year commitment to his shaky at best Raptors team? Perhaps you see something I don't, because I don't see why he's make that kind of commitment to either squad.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri May-10-19 02:16 PM

23. "He doesn't seem motivated by "normal" things"
In response to Reply # 20

All the SD/LA connections with him, and the house he bought in SD, makes it seem obvious. Plus Doc is a good coach, they have a core of good young guys and a ton of cap space with an owner that doesn't care about blowing money if its warranted. I can't see him NOT going to the Clippers.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Fri May-10-19 03:46 PM

25. "this is how I feel..."
In response to Reply # 23

outside of Toronto winning it all...I can't envision him NOT going to the Clippers.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Mon May-13-19 10:57 AM

27. "To sweeten that deal"
In response to Reply # 23

the Clippers would have to guarantee another max level play is going to sign there with Kawhi, no? If so, I wonder if they have that mapped out already because it's very unlikely IMO that Kawhi would make a 4 year commitment to rebuild the Clippers without an ironclad plan that he would get top level help, especially out in the West.

In regards to him signing in Toronto, I wonder what the front office can do to upgrade the roster because it's pretty clear the dude needs a dependable number two option. Would be wild if Butler ends up there somehow since he would be a huge upgrade over the putrid Danny Green. I would have to think selling Kawhi on the plans to upgrade the current Raptors roster has to be the front office's first priority.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon May-13-19 11:32 AM

28. "like he was saying, Kawhi ain't tripping off that "superteam" shit"
In response to Reply # 27

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Mon May-13-19 12:01 PM

29. "I think Ujiri leaves T-Dot this summer tho...."
In response to Reply # 10

------------------
One Hundred.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Thu May-09-19 04:00 PM

9. "ever? probably but it was never common and never will be"
In response to Reply # 0

we might see something else totally unprecedented where dat zingis takes a shitty qualifying offer this summer if you listen to some speculation. i can't imagine that happening but it's being repeated enough to consider it.

a 1+1, it has to be the exact right situation for the player to do that. basically where he can get a much bigger payday signing the max one year or two years later (which could happen) and/or where he wants to have considerable flexibility because the team is all in or otherwise uncertain in terms of its future 3-4 years down the line.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri May-10-19 08:52 AM

17. "I can be smart but its a huge gamble on your health, I bet Boogie..."
In response to Reply # 9

could've gotten bigger deals last summer but he decided to take the $5 mil from GS banking on cashing in on a max deal this summer but it didn't work out like that.

Cenario
59168 posts
Fri May-10-19 10:49 AM

18. "Who else offerred him a deal last summer?"
In response to Reply # 17

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri May-10-19 01:04 PM

19. "don't know but I figure he could've gotten more than 5mil he got from..."
In response to Reply # 18

the Dubs but I think he wanted to play the odds and cash in on a max deal this summer but he still may not get it now

Cenario
59168 posts
Fri May-10-19 04:50 PM

26. "He didnt, thats why he just went to GS"
In response to Reply # 19

He was tryna get paid last season...nobody was gonna offer him big money and they all assumed somebody else was. So he holla'd at the warriors.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Fri May-10-19 01:55 PM

22. "he would have gotten more than the MLE but nothing close to a max"
In response to Reply # 17

maybe he could have gotten julius randle's contract. whooptydamndoo (c) DC. in a weird way elton brand probably fucked boogie's money up

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 05:50 PM

30. "Seems increasingly likely you'll have your answer: Kawhi"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-05-19 06:06 PM by ConcreteCharlie

Reports are saying short-term deal. I still think Clips have a good shot but it's in the air now. Most likely would be a 1+1 that gives him the freedom to bounce if it falls apart or stay through the "window" where they aren't strapped for talent. Lowry has two more years, I think. They could bring Gasol back on a short deal. Makes sense to have that narrow window deal and flexibility. It also works financially for Kawhi because in two years he'll be eligible for the big supermax deal

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 08:04 PM

32. "I can’t see it, he’s playing hurt now, he’s coming off a major..."
In response to Reply # 30

injury, he needs that security

Cenario
59168 posts
Thu Jun-06-19 06:27 AM

33. "You seem way more worried about players' injuries and security"
In response to Reply # 32

Than the players do

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jun-06-19 08:33 AM

34. "so you think the players aren't concerned about that? Its a regular..."
In response to Reply # 33

conversation in sports.

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 07:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "kawhi."
In response to Reply # 0

that's the scuttlebutt anyway.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Fri Jun-07-19 09:49 PM

35. "I Wouldn't Be Surprised If Klay Did"
In response to Reply # 0

After that shit with the all NBA teams costing him $30 million
He signs a 1+1 deal and makes an all NBA team next year then signs long term for the supermax

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jun-08-19 12:25 PM

36. "also a possibility, his missing the all-nba team puts it in play for sur..."
In response to Reply # 35

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Jun-14-19 09:16 AM

37. "or not."
In response to Reply # 36

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2695486 Previous topic | Next topic