Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2687212

Subject: "Who is in a worse position after the Trade Deadline" Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 02:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: Who is in a worse position after the Trade Deadline"

While many purport that the Lakers are hurt the most from this fiasco of a week - there is a strong argument to be made that they will actually be better off (in the end) for this deal not going through right now.

The Lakers essentially offered the house - they would've grossly overpaid for AD for the luxury to get him right now - but a Laker team with Bron/AD but not other valuable moving parts (no BI, Lonzo, Hart, Kuz, Zu, Rondo & multiple picks) would've been an immense price to pay to land AD when there's a target-rich environment this Summer to explore (Kawhi, Kemba, Klay, KD, Kyrie etc...). The Lakers now get a chance to further develop their young core and head into the off-season with significant cap-space flexibility to land big fish.

Conversely - the Pels likely just balked at an offer that will likely turn out to be the best return value for AD. Sure, many speculate that opening up negotiations with other teams is the smart thing to do (and there's logic to that) - what will these other teams reasonably offer for AD without express interest in signing with them? The notion that Boston will offer Tatum, Rozier, Brown and multiple picks is naive. AD doesn't want to be there. What other package would be as compelling as the Lakers rich offer? Now, the Pels have to deal with a malcontent AD playing out the rest of the season with a dead-end mentality and no incentive for the team to grow. Had they dealt w/ the Lakers - they begin their resurgence right now with significant young talent to be excited about.

Sure, the Pels stuck it to the Lakers and it likely felt good (in the short term by "winning" this battle) to feel like they didn't bend to Rich Paul and superstar mobility/agency - but did they win the long-term war? I think as this season rolls along, summer comes & goes - and the Pels are in a situation of going into yet another season with the prospect of AD still on the roster - they will then have to make a move out of desperation and will likely take much lesser deal for AD.

They can feel good from an emo perspective of not dealing with the Lakers - but will their franchise be better off because of it?

Will be interesting to revisit this in several months to see how this plays out - but my money is on the Pels not being able to land nearly the return value that was just offered (rather recklessly) via the Lakers who were willing to grossly overpay.

Poll result (19 votes)
Pels (5 votes)Vote
Lakers (14 votes)Vote
I'm Chris Mannix (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't think either was significantly affected
Feb 08th 2019
Hopefully, the kids are more mentally tough than we think they are...
Feb 08th 2019
If the Lakers really offered Kuzma & Ball, the Pelicans lost.
Feb 08th 2019
Lmao... Build what?
Feb 08th 2019
Build for your future,
Feb 08th 2019
      Ingram averaged 20,5, and 4 in January
Feb 09th 2019
yea this idea that Kuz and Lonzo aren't going to be diff. makers
Feb 09th 2019
I'm in the minority but i think the Pels were smart to reject the trade
Feb 09th 2019
Smh, what team led by 3 20-22 year olds isn’t bottom of the West?
Feb 09th 2019
The lakers gon offer the house again in the summer
Feb 09th 2019
Exactly.
Feb 09th 2019
AD don’t want Boston and the Knicks are the Knicks
Feb 09th 2019
the beauty is - we will see.
Feb 09th 2019
How will Boston perform down the stretch?
Feb 09th 2019
?
Feb 09th 2019
AD booed at home in first appearance since deadline
Feb 09th 2019
Lol they were chanting for him in the 4th qtr
Feb 09th 2019
      lol yea they will warm up to the idea of him wanting out of N.O.
Feb 09th 2019
LAL; I think KD and Kawhi will remember this debacle
Feb 09th 2019
AD leaves team mid-way through game lol.
Feb 16th 2019
Demps fired lmao
Feb 16th 2019
Right they may have painted themselves into a worse corner now lol
Feb 16th 2019
If the Pels gave a crap about the Lakers offer
Feb 17th 2019
      RE: If the Pels gave a crap about the Lakers offer
Feb 17th 2019
      Lol right
Feb 17th 2019
      oh no doubt
Jun 16th 2019
Tough call.
May 28th 2019
yeah that's a pick em.
May 28th 2019
I *really* hope AD and Zion get a chance to play together.
May 29th 2019
at this point i no longer think so, i think lakers definitely suffered
May 29th 2019
it is?
May 29th 2019
      I'm thinking he's being sarcastic.
May 29th 2019
      Well when you put it that way
May 29th 2019
           ill see myself out now lol
May 29th 2019
Well the Lakers do have a legit Top 8 player in the NBA, Top 4 pick,..
May 29th 2019
*looks above at all the mad, dumb & wrong prisoners of the moment*
Jun 15th 2019
Damn.
Jun 16th 2019
got quiet in here real quick.
Jun 16th 2019
no one wants to admit it...
Jun 17th 2019
      they still won't admit it lol
Jun 17th 2019
           lol, in what world did this not work out for the Pelicans?
Jun 17th 2019
                it worked out great for both sides.
Jun 17th 2019

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 02:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I don't think either was significantly affected"
In response to Reply # 0

The drag on the Lakers was temporary and while I don't get their one move it doesn't seem like a make-or-break kind of transaction. The the Pelicans tidied up their roster/cap with some moves but again nothing out of this world. The main thing they did was roll over the Davis saga into the summer, which was the prudent thing to do. All the other stuff was popcorn-worthy but insignificant in the long run

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 03:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Hopefully, the kids are more mentally tough than we think they are..."
In response to Reply # 0

All of these dudes take it personally but forget they're playing a game that's also a business.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 05:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "If the Lakers really offered Kuzma & Ball, the Pelicans lost."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not high on Ingram, and picks are iffy...but you can build with Kuz & Lonzo.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 05:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Lmao... Build what?"
In response to Reply # 3

If you can build with Kuzma & Ball then the Lakers shouldn’t have to make a trade. Right?

****Charlie Murphy voice****
WRONG.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Fri Feb-08-19 06:59 PM

5. "Build for your future,"
In response to Reply # 4

I think Kuzma is an All-Star by season 4, and Lonzo is a solid starter. They won't get two better young guys than that.

I already said the Lakers shouldn't make ANY trades this season, lets see who's not trash, so far the only buster is Ingram.

>If you can build with Kuzma & Ball then the Lakers
>shouldn’t have to make a trade. Right?
>
>****Charlie Murphy voice****
>WRONG.
>

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18627 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 12:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Ingram averaged 20,5, and 4 in January"
In response to Reply # 5

He’s good.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 10:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "yea this idea that Kuz and Lonzo aren't going to be diff. makers"
In response to Reply # 3

is crazy. Kuz in particular has grown tremendously this year and really risen to the occasion in playing well w/ Bron. These guys are super young and are still 5 years away from entering their prime years - and already are solid starters in this league.

But it wasn't just that they offered Zo and Kuz - but B.I., Hart, Zu (some reports even throwing Rondo in there) and multiple draft picks.

That's *exceptional* trade value for a player that publicly wants out.

What did the T'Wolves get for Butler? Not that much.

S.A. got DeRozan - who is a poor man's Kawhi in every sense (still a fine player).

Pels had the opportunity to grab multiple young guys - all with the potential to break out and become all-stars at some point.

I think time will show that this idea that Tatum is *so* much better than Kuz is premature and silly. Boston won't offer the assets that L.A. just offered up on a platter.

But alas - lot of ppl stay in that #HurtLocker in this game - and that jilted feeling can greatly affect state-of-mind and one's ability to make the smart, long-term business decision that is healthy for an organization.
-->

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 03:56 AM

6. "I'm in the minority but i think the Pels were smart to reject the trade"
In response to Reply # 0

We have seen what a team of BI, Kuz and Ball can be. A bottom team in the west. If NOLA were to accept they would be looking to build with those 3. If they have any incling that Taytum and Boston's picks are a possibility you have to wait it out and see what you can get out of them. Also the Laker's picks would probably be late first rounders so they would not receive any cornerstone pieces from the trade to build around with the exception of Kuz who is the only one i really see with all star potential.

DJR
18627 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 12:49 PM

9. "Smh, what team led by 3 20-22 year olds isn’t bottom of the West?"
In response to Reply # 6

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59172 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 12:19 PM

7. "The lakers gon offer the house again in the summer"
In response to Reply # 0

The pels will have that offer and likely more.

Its fairly obvious.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 01:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Exactly."
In response to Reply # 7

And that same deal HAS to be there to compete with the other options that come from New York (if they win the lottery) and Boston.

Pels were smart to wait.

https://digife.com

DJR
18627 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 02:03 PM

12. "AD don’t want Boston and the Knicks are the Knicks "
In response to Reply # 11

He’ll be a Laker.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 05:58 PM

13. "the beauty is - we will see."
In response to Reply # 7

I do not think the Lakers offer what they just offered. Technically - they can't (since Zubac is now gone) - and I don't think they will offer the extra moving pieces. They may still offer Kuz & Lonzo or Kuz & BI - but I don't see them offering *everything* like they just did.

But we shall see.

-->

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 12:47 PM

8. "How will Boston perform down the stretch?"
In response to Reply # 0

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 11:09 PM

19. "?"
In response to Reply # 8

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 06:00 PM

14. "AD booed at home in first appearance since deadline"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Zy5-pTmII

Enjoy that for the rest of the season into the summer, N.O.

-->

Cenario
59172 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 06:59 PM

16. "Lol they were chanting for him in the 4th qtr"
In response to Reply # 14

That was cute while it lasted tho

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 10:32 PM

17. "lol yea they will warm up to the idea of him wanting out of N.O."
In response to Reply # 16

or not at all.

-->

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Sat Feb-09-19 06:31 PM

15. "LAL; I think KD and Kawhi will remember this debacle "
In response to Reply # 0

If they were still considering either as a possible FA signing

I doubt that will happen given their aversion to the social spotlight and how these negotiations seemed to have played out publicly in real time

Also, they've essentially put all of their eggs in the AD basket

How can any player feel confident going to LAL after they've made the entire roster available

Dat Cloak.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sat Feb-16-19 09:15 AM

20. "AD leaves team mid-way through game lol."
In response to Reply # 0

Yea it's working out real well for the Pels.
-->

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sat Feb-16-19 09:17 AM

21. "Demps fired lmao"
In response to Reply # 0

loooooootta people loud and wrong about this situation.

Pels starting to realize their short term satisfaction in "sticking it" to the Lakers is not serving their long term interests.

This will be fun to watch unfold as Ainge offers Brown, Rozier and a draft pick lol.

-->

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Feb-16-19 10:20 AM

22. "Right they may have painted themselves into a worse corner now lol"
In response to Reply # 21
Sat Feb-16-19 10:22 AM by ThaTruth

>loooooootta people loud and wrong about this situation.
>
>Pels starting to realize their short term satisfaction in
>"sticking it" to the Lakers is not serving their long term
>interests.
>
>This will be fun to watch unfold as Ainge offers Brown, Rozier
>and a draft pick lol.
>
>-->

You know Danny Ferry is tight with Pop, he may slide in there, getting Demps dumb ass fired might have been the plan all along

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Sun Feb-17-19 12:53 AM

23. "If the Pels gave a crap about the Lakers offer"
In response to Reply # 21
Sun Feb-17-19 12:57 AM by DeepAztheRoot

Demps would have been fired before the deadline and Gayle Benson and associates would have accepted the offer.

Laker fans should prepare to be disappointed this summer in getting AD. Good thing there is quite a bit of other talent out there to assemble around 'Bron before he gets too old.

<-Fear Ameer

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sun Feb-17-19 01:47 PM

24. "RE: If the Pels gave a crap about the Lakers offer"
In response to Reply # 23

>Demps would have been fired before the deadline and Gayle
>Benson and associates would have accepted the offer.
>
>Laker fans should prepare to be disappointed this summer in
>getting AD. Good thing there is quite a bit of other talent
>out there to assemble around 'Bron before he gets too old.

most people know that, getting AD was a long shot anyway

Cenario
59172 posts
Sun Feb-17-19 02:00 PM

25. "Lol right"

Demps would have been fired before the deadline and Gayle Benson and associates would have accepted the offer.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sun Jun-16-19 07:24 PM

38. "oh no doubt"

>Laker fans should prepare to be disappointed this summer in
>getting AD.

Cenario
59172 posts
Tue May-28-19 10:33 PM

26. "Tough call."
In response to Reply # 0

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Tue May-28-19 11:47 PM

27. "yeah that's a pick em."
In response to Reply # 26

flip a coin.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Wed May-29-19 11:41 AM

28. "I *really* hope AD and Zion get a chance to play together."

Their skills literally complement each other's PERFECTLY. They'd be a genuine terror together.

I imagine the Pels, short of a brilliant offer from someone, would consider hanging on to AD for the year and trying to convince him through Zion that there's a future in New Orleans. That's a really big risk, though, obviously.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed May-29-19 01:58 PM

29. "at this point i no longer think so, i think lakers definitely suffered"
Wed May-29-19 01:59 PM by ConcreteCharlie

the pelicans can get a similar or better package (namely with a more blue chip centerpiece) from someone else. or it's slightly possible that zion's arrival convinces davis to stay.

the lakers seem to be reeling. not only did they sustain a temporary setback where their young guys moped around because of the trade leak, now they seem to be in a precarious state on other fronts. this whole lebron thing could dissolve on them and they be back to square one, only with no randle or lopez and a lot of internal turmoil

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Wed May-29-19 06:22 PM

30. "it is?"

the lakers are a dumpster fire and the pels have AD and the #1 pick

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Wed May-29-19 06:43 PM

31. "I'm thinking he's being sarcastic."
In response to Reply # 30

Same with Dula.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Cenario
59172 posts
Wed May-29-19 06:44 PM

32. "Well when you put it that way"
In response to Reply # 30

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Wed May-29-19 07:35 PM

33. "ill see myself out now lol"
In response to Reply # 32

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed May-29-19 07:43 PM

34. "Well the Lakers do have a legit Top 8 player in the NBA, Top 4 pick,.."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-29-19 07:43 PM by TheRealBillyOcean

top 3 Ball brother, & cap space.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sat Jun-15-19 07:19 PM

35. "*looks above at all the mad, dumb & wrong prisoners of the moment*"
In response to Reply # 0

*collects yet another 'Genda Rang*

boooooy were y'all wrong.

And Lakers get to keep Kuz?

LOL yikes. Pels could've had the house at the deadline - instead they don't even get the most coveted piece of the Lakers young core.

Dat Klutch Wave Tho.

-->

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sun Jun-16-19 09:02 AM

36. "Damn. "
In response to Reply # 35

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sun Jun-16-19 05:03 PM

37. "got quiet in here real quick."
In response to Reply # 36

-->

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 03:46 AM

39. "no one wants to admit it..."
In response to Reply # 35

..they just wanted someone to troll.

We all knew the Lakers held the leverage as long as Davis wanted to be in LA.

Lol @ Boston.

Charlotte's on the clock.

TickTockTickTockTick!

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 12:54 PM

40. "they still won't admit it lol"
In response to Reply # 39

>..they just wanted someone to troll.
>
>We all knew the Lakers held the leverage as long as Davis
>wanted to be in LA.
>
>Lol @ Boston.

basically. So many people (including on here) were like "N.O. would be insane to deal now when Boston is going to offer such a great package!"

Woj been wrong about this whole thing for months. Many just followed suit.

-->

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 01:32 PM

41. "lol, in what world did this not work out for the Pelicans?"
In response to Reply # 40

the Lakers came out of the previous trade talks looking terrible. That's not even up for debate, they whined and pouted because Pels wanted more than a song and a dance for AD.

LA finally got what they wanted and should be happy, but how are Lakers and Bron stans acting like they just gave up nothing to get him? Ridiculous. Pels made out in this deal.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 01:46 PM

42. "it worked out great for both sides. "
In response to Reply # 41

that's not what's material here.

The commentary in February was that there were going to be several compelling offers for N.O. to look at this summer (which turned out to be false).

Also - Lakers were offering Kuzma along with the core and picks in February - which would've been too much - but would've been an unbelievable package for the Pels. People here were *still* saying that the Pels should've waited - which turned out to be unsound advice.

The Pels just didn't want to give in to the inevitable -and it cost them some trade value for sure. Lakers had way more leverage this summer to hold on to their most coveted young rising star (Kuz) than they did in February when they were willing to part ways.

That's a major W for the Lakers.

-->

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2687212 Previous topic | Next topic