Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2647444

Subject: "Stros top off Altuve 5/$151M" Previous topic | Next topic
Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Mon Mar-19-18 10:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Stros top off Altuve 5/$151M"

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/astros-nearing-extension-with-jose-altuve.html

----------

IG @h_n_z

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Not bad given the current climate
Mar 19th 2018
It seems kind of novel
Mar 20th 2018
      I've been afraid since Carlos Baerga
Mar 20th 2018

Call It Anything
Member since Aug 13th 2005
10951 posts
Mon Mar-19-18 06:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Not bad given the current climate"
In response to Reply # 0

2B age in dog years, so I'm not sure I like his chances of another big contract as he'll be 33 when this expires.

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Tue Mar-20-18 07:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It seems kind of novel"
In response to Reply # 1

He's got some skills that we seem to think* age well, like that delightfully throwback-y contact rate. But we've been scared of aging secondbasemen and short people since Moneyball was the new Moneyball. So did everybody involved in this negotiation just concede that he may age poorly but in the meantime he was just going to churn out MVP seasons? So as long as he got paid market value for his likely-peak, it really didn't matter to him if he wasn't contracted into his mid-30's and as long as they didn't have to pay him to get injured and ineffective, the Astros were cool too?

Because that sounds so reasonable that it's almost crazy. How often does that actually happen?

*I have no idea what the current conventional wisdom is, actually. You're welcome for the weasel words.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27116 posts
Tue Mar-20-18 01:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I've been afraid since Carlos Baerga"
In response to Reply # 2

>that delightfully throwback-y contact rate. But we've been
>scared of aging secondbasemen and short people since Moneyball
>was the new Moneyball.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2647444 Previous topic | Next topic