Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2645481

Subject: "Deontay Wilder v. Luis Ortiz (SHO)" Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Mar-02-18 12:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: Deontay Wilder v. Luis Ortiz (SHO)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KhpEsfQzmc

Should be a wild fight - a KO almost seems guaranteed. Ortiz can straight bang - but Wilder-Joshua seems destined at this point (and would be a legitimate modern-era mega fight in the HW division).

Still, this is gonna be fun to watch.

Shame that the Charlo fight is off as the undercard appetizer to this -- was looking forward to that.

Poll result (7 votes)
Ortiz by (T)KO (1 votes)Vote
Wilder by (T)KO (5 votes)Vote
Ortiz by Decision (0 votes)Vote
Wilder by Decision (0 votes)Vote
Draw (0 votes)Vote
IDK but somebody getting bodied (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Wilder by right hand
Mar 02nd 2018
Wilder's fight to lose.
Mar 02nd 2018
THIS is a modern era mega fight.
Mar 03rd 2018
tuned and counting down
Mar 03rd 2018
RE: tuned and counting down
Mar 03rd 2018
what a round.
Mar 03rd 2018
wow
Mar 03rd 2018
damn what a great fight.
Mar 03rd 2018
hell of a fight
Mar 03rd 2018
it really was-
Mar 03rd 2018
that was an awesome fight....
Mar 03rd 2018
Daaayyyyummmm
Mar 03rd 2018
What a great fight!!!!!!
Mar 03rd 2018
Congrats to Wilder and MAD respect to Ortiz
Mar 04th 2018
great fight... Wilder showed me he has some heart..
Mar 04th 2018
The 7th. Gatdamn, Wilder showed heart and was lucky.
Mar 04th 2018
Great fight by both guys and much respect to Wilder for surviving and fi...
Mar 04th 2018
I see a lot of people (not here) critiquing the fight
Mar 04th 2018
People are idiots, have only seen Ali highlights.
Mar 04th 2018
Basically.
Mar 04th 2018
No we should all want it to be more polished
Mar 05th 2018
RE: I see a lot of people (not here) critiquing the fight
Mar 05th 2018
don't think you'll ever see Wilder look polished...but
Mar 05th 2018
lol.. prolly the same folks pissin and moaning about Klitcho and Lennox
Mar 05th 2018
Great fight but I don't think either are that good
Mar 05th 2018
Nah Joshua isn't more skilled than Ortiz
Mar 05th 2018
yea I don't think people fully realize what we just saw.
Mar 05th 2018
I'd also suggest that folks not assume that Anthony Joseph
Mar 05th 2018

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Fri Mar-02-18 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Wilder by right hand"
In response to Reply # 0

Ortiz is game enough to keep him at bay until mid rounds.

-------------------------
�Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.�-- Warren Coolidge

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Fri Mar-02-18 02:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Wilder's fight to lose."
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14027 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "THIS is a modern era mega fight."
In response to Reply # 0

BOTH of these guys are boogeymen in the heavyweight division. Two undefeated KO artists. Joshua wouldn't have fought either of them, because he and Hearn are about big money and avoiding real threats while Wilder and Ortiz are about fighting the best competition they can fight to prove they're the best out there. Ortiz is a very good boxer for a guy his size. Wilder isn't considered as such by very many people, but the has the great equalizer in his right hand. However, Wilder also says that he can punch so hard that he's never had to truly show his boxing skill. I see something interesting with Wilder tho, in that he's been improving little by little every time we see him. He's VERY lean for this fight at 214 lbs (he was 228 in his last fight). At 6'7, he's built for stamina in this fight. Ortiz coming through at 241 but not alotta fat on the guy either. I caught footage of him running in preparation for this fight. Sneaky southpaw but not alotta head movement. Wilder can catch him, but we'll see. Ortiz is trying to be the first Cuban heavyweight champ out here.

This is a real super fight. Like I legit care more about this fight than the Wilder Joshua fight at this point lol. There should've been way more promotion for this, but I'm super excited anyway. I won't be around on OKP for it, but I'll be back with my thoughts later.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 08:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "tuned and counting down"
In response to Reply # 0

bnicedh
Charter member
4667 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 10:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: tuned and counting down"
In response to Reply # 4

I give the first 2 rounds to Otriz

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 11:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "what a round."
In response to Reply # 0

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 11:15 PM

7. "wow"
In response to Reply # 6

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 11:23 PM

8. "damn what a great fight."
In response to Reply # 0

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 11:25 PM

9. "hell of a fight"
In response to Reply # 8

wow

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 11:25 PM

10. "it really was-"
In response to Reply # 8

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayer™

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 11:28 PM

11. "that was an awesome fight...."
In response to Reply # 0

Deontay showed a lot of heart...and a lot of patience in this one....

Ortiz is no joke...

Sets up some excitement for the match up of Wilder and the Parker vs. Joshua fight..

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 11:33 PM

12. "Daaayyyyummmm"
In response to Reply # 0

that shit sure escalated, great fight

b2thej
Member since Feb 11th 2005
9146 posts
Sat Mar-03-18 11:41 PM

13. "What a great fight!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

If Wilder would've used the jab he might could've set up the right earlier. He started pumping that jab and that set up the right to get Ortiz out of there. Ortiz has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, he was about five seconds from being champion

PSN ID - dirty_MF_bucks

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14027 posts
Sun Mar-04-18 07:13 AM

14. "Congrats to Wilder and MAD respect to Ortiz"
In response to Reply # 0

Ortiz gave zero excuses in his post-fight interviews... handled it like a real man. My call was 55/45 for Wilder, and a couple of friends thought I was joking, b/c they didn't understand how dangerous Ortiz is. Most of the fight showed them where I was coming from, especially the end of Rd 7. Wilder got outboxed damn near all fight but overcame with heart (and power). If Ortiz was somehow able to avoid the right and take it to decision, he would've won the fight. He showed everyone why Wilder was the only champion willing to fight him.

Team AJ can no longer hold up the Klitschko win as the crowning achievement that sets AJ apart from Wilder, since Klitschko was older than Ortiz and was coming off a loss when he fought AJ. As Wilder said, Klitschko had been dethroned while they didn't want any parts of Ortiz. Team AJ will still have some silly excuse tho.

I'm still not impressed with Wilder's boxing skill, and I'd like to see it improve as he ages. As long he has that right tho, he has 40 wins that say boxing skill is overrated in the heavyweight division.

That Rd 5 knockdown will definitely be in Wilder's highlight reel.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

LegacyNS
Member since Jan 16th 2004
38095 posts
Sun Mar-04-18 10:27 AM

15. "great fight... Wilder showed me he has some heart.."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Mar-04-18 10:30 AM by LegacyNS

Ortiz just didn't have enough left in the tank to take him out when he softened him up..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Sun Mar-04-18 03:16 PM

16. "The 7th. Gatdamn, Wilder showed heart and was lucky. "
In response to Reply # 0

Ortiz had checked his ticket and they were pulling out the gate towards Nightynightsville.

------------------
One Hundred.

BlassFemur
Member since Mar 26th 2008
10309 posts
Sun Mar-04-18 06:55 PM

17. "Great fight by both guys and much respect to Wilder for surviving and fi..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Mar-04-18 06:56 PM by BlassFemur

finishing a dangerous Ortiz. Gotta have Joshua/ Wilder now.

https://banafrit.com/
http://middlebrainmedia.com/

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sun Mar-04-18 07:18 PM

18. "I see a lot of people (not here) critiquing the fight"
In response to Reply # 0

and saying it was "sloppy" and not polished - but I think they are missing the point: The HW division isn't usually a "polished" product - nor would many want it to be. It's the one division where giants collide -- often with reckless abandon -- to the degree where the more skilled guy could get smoked out by a single power shot.

While it's true that Wilder tends to swing/wide, wild, and untamed when he has his opponent hurt (though he's getting better at being more clinical when his guy is buzzed) - that's precisely what makes a fighter like Wilder so compelling.

He doesn't have the best jab (although it's very effective when thrown with conviction). Doesn't have the best defense (fights with hands low and often gets tagged unnecessarily) - doesn't have the best footwork/mastery of distance (he was struggling with regards to ring generalship against Ortiz and was often at the wrong fighting distance for his length) - what he does have is exceptional: lion-heart courage, authentic bravado, and world-class thudding power. When he lands his shots - nobody has been able to stand up to them - and he's a heavyweight of 80's/90's throwback vintage with regards to the ability to just stand in the pocket and bang heavy (unlike the more cerebral, technically proficient HWs like Lewis/Klitschko).

I thought last night's fight was the best of the early year - and was one of the better HW fights of the past decade. Joshua/Wladimir was the best HW fight of the new century. HW boxing is back. Wilder v. Joshua could be the biggest unification fight in the sport, and perhaps even the most compelling.
-->

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sun Mar-04-18 07:21 PM

19. "People are idiots, have only seen Ali highlights. "
In response to Reply # 18

That was an excellent and perfectly skilled heavyweight
bout

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sun Mar-04-18 08:16 PM

20. "Basically."
In response to Reply # 19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4cbHakpcfw

I don't see how you watch ^that and your first reaction is to complain about "unpolished boxing"

-->

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Mon Mar-05-18 02:41 AM

22. "No we should all want it to be more polished"

Theres no reason that it shouldnt be. It can be both clash of the giants and skilled fighters. Saying its never been is kind of a cop out we should Look at all divisions the same

----------

IG @h_n_z

S_Ali
Charter member
1479 posts
Mon Mar-05-18 11:41 AM

23. "RE: I see a lot of people (not here) critiquing the fight"

>
>While it's true that Wilder tends to swing/wide, wild, and
>untamed when he has his opponent hurt (though he's getting
>better at being more clinical when his guy is buzzed) - that's
>precisely what makes a fighter like Wilder so compelling.
>
Agreed

>He doesn't have the best jab (although it's very effective
>when thrown with conviction). Doesn't have the best defense
>(fights with hands low and often gets tagged unnecessarily) -
>doesn't have the best footwork/mastery of distance (he was
>struggling with regards to ring generalship against Ortiz and
>was often at the wrong fighting distance for his length) -
>what he does have is exceptional: lion-heart courage,
>authentic bravado, and world-class thudding power. When he
>lands his shots - nobody has been able to stand up to them -
>and he's a heavyweight of 80's/90's throwback vintage with
>regards to the ability to just stand in the pocket and bang
>heavy (unlike the more cerebral, technically proficient HWs
>like Lewis/Klitschko).
>

I think he has the best jab in the division. A blinding, thudding jab. It didn't appear that way against a highly skilled southpaw but right handed fighters like Joshua will have problems. Wilder is still primarily a basic 1 2 fighter. His hook is not particularly effective. He either blinds you with the jab and throws the right or counters with the right. Basic in its presentation but highly effective execution. You can be effective against Wilder but you better be dialed in for the entire 36 minutes. All it takes is 1 punch.

>I thought last night's fight was the best of the early year -
>and was one of the better HW fights of the past decade.
>Joshua/Wladimir was the best HW fight of the new century. HW
>boxing is back. Wilder v. Joshua could be the biggest
>unification fight in the sport, and perhaps even the most
>compelling.

I definitely feel like it was the fight of the year up into this point. Wilder and Joshua, Heavyweights, will bring out more casual fans. I still think Spence and Crawford should they meet in the near future will be the biggest fight in the sport from a competitive standpoint.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Mar-05-18 03:44 PM

26. "don't think you'll ever see Wilder look polished...but "

I mean for him that was a very technically sound fight... He resisted throwing his big Right ..even during times when he kind needed to save himself...because he was conscious of Ortiz left hook....

and it was good that he waited because when the battle really started...he had enough to finish him off..

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Mar-05-18 06:29 PM

28. "lol.. prolly the same folks pissin and moaning about Klitcho and Lennox"

folks who just can't appreciate the various styles that make boxing what it is and are going to find fault in anything and everything.

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Mon Mar-05-18 02:39 AM

21. "Great fight but I don't think either are that good "
In response to Reply # 0

I say Wilder gets killed by a more skilled fighter like Joshua. I didnt care for either of the fighters records IMO, the division isn't that great. Wilder fights very much like a raw new fighter IMO and Ortiz is all top heavy. Yeah he throws bombs but those skinny ass legs are problem.

----------

IG @h_n_z

b2thej
Member since Feb 11th 2005
9146 posts
Mon Mar-05-18 11:46 AM

24. "Nah Joshua isn't more skilled than Ortiz"
In response to Reply # 21

I don't think any heavyweight could be the Ortiz that showed up Saturday except Wilder. Nobody else has that great equalizer that Wilder has in his right hand.

PSN ID - dirty_MF_bucks

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Mon Mar-05-18 03:19 PM

25. "yea I don't think people fully realize what we just saw."
In response to Reply # 24

Ortiz was showing *immense* craft and angling to get off shots at awkward angles - and he was scoring beautifully with many of them, really bothering Wilder with his *boxing* - not slugging. I had Ortiz slightly up on cards at the time of stoppage based on his ability to outbox in between the hurricane flurries.

But Wilder clearly won the bulk of the hurricane flurries - and not just with brute force - but well thrown power shots that slipped around guards. And the uppercut that finished Ortiz was beautifully thrown from the inside.

Wilder is very much a 1,2 - feint - combination punch from a stiff-jab, overhand-right - but he does it *very* well - and does mix up his punches enough with varied hooks, straights, overhands, uppercuts that his offense isn't tediously predictable.

I thought this was one of the more skilled HW bouts I've seen in years. I urge people to watch Wilder-Stiverne (first bout) if they doubt Wilder's ability to box. When he wants to use it - his jab is dominant and can control the pace of a fight.

-->

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Mar-05-18 03:47 PM

27. "I'd also suggest that folks not assume that Anthony Joseph"
In response to Reply # 21

is going to just walk through Joseph Parker...

that's a very interesting match up with 2 guys in their prime...

I'm just glad we got some heavyweight excitement

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2645481 Previous topic | Next topic