Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2644395

Subject: "Ky requested trade after "sloppy discussions" from front office (yahoo)" Previous topic | Next topic
Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Ky requested trade after "sloppy discussions" from front office (yahoo)"

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-kyrie-irving-requested-trade-185419555.html

The Cavaliers reportedly explored trading Kyrie Irving in June. He requested a trade in July.

Since dealt to the Celtics, Irving has said he’ll never pinpoint his precise reason for leaving Cleveland. But he also said the Cavs “didn’t want me there.”

Did the Cavaliers push him out?

Dave McMenamin of ESPN:

On the day of the NBA draft back in June, just days after Cleveland parted ways with former GM David Griffin, a robust Cavs contingent made up of front-office personnel, coaches and team support staff members held an impromptu, “what if?” discussion about Kyrie Irving’s future, multiple team sources confirmed to ESPN.

The discussion, characterized as “small talk” by one source familiar with its content, was less a formal straw poll of what the Cavs should do with their All-Star point guard should trade opportunities present themselves, and more a thought exercise anticipating what the market could bear for a player of Irving’s caliber.

The talk got back to Irving, multiple team sources told ESPN, and that served as the tipping point that led to Irving formally requesting a trade a little more than two weeks later.

“It was sloppy,” one league source familiar with the draft-day discussion told ESPN, adding that any talk about trading a player of Irving’s ilk — however informal it might be — should be handled strictly between the GM and owner, because of the sensitive nature of its content.

While Altman was involved in the meeting, he and Mike Gansey — at that point officially the head of the Cavs’ G League team — were only keeping the ship afloat on an interim basis and had yet to be formally elevated to their current roles as GM and assistant GM, respectively.

This is one spin on the story. Yet another: Irving initially requested a trade before the draft and considered requesting one in 2016.

Both sides are trying to blame the other for the disintegration of their relationship.

It can be difficult to read how serious the draft-day discussion was. Maybe Irving interpreted ut correctly. Maybe he didn’t. Maybe he just used it to justify a trade request he wanted to make anyway.

What’s more clear: Communication hasn’t been as strong between the front office and players under general manager Koby Altman as it was under Griffin. McMenamin:

While the Cavs were struggling in late December through early January, LeBron James questioned Altman’s absentee status on a long Cleveland road trip, team sources told ESPN.

Altman helped repair that relationship leading up to the trade deadline, looping LeBron in on discussions that culminated with three trades. LeBron appears more invested in the Cavaliers, just in time to keep him next summer.

But some mistakes can’t be fixed before it’s too late. Maybe those Irving trade talks in June were one of them.

-->

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I, for one, am glad we’re still talking about this.
Feb 23rd 2018
ayyy Mike Gansey namedrop. West Virginia legend
Feb 23rd 2018
RE: ayyy Mike Gansey namedrop. West Virginia legend
Feb 23rd 2018
The Trade Discussion That Made Ky Opt Out:
Feb 23rd 2018
I don't know if I like that trade.
Feb 24th 2018
SAS articulates perfectly what i've said since july.
Feb 24th 2018
yep
Feb 25th 2018
      I don't know why is has to be A. or B.
Feb 25th 2018
This is all hilarious...
Feb 25th 2018
it's all hilarious that you skipping steps...
Feb 25th 2018
      RE: it's all hilarious that you skipping steps...
Feb 25th 2018

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43745 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I, for one, am glad we’re still talking about this. "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85078 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 12:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "ayyy Mike Gansey namedrop. West Virginia legend"
In response to Reply # 0

still remember him taking down an absolute beast of a Wake Forest team in double OT in the tourney when we won in 05.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2005-03-19-wake-forest.html
one of the best CBB games i have ever seen.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 01:30 PM

3. "RE: ayyy Mike Gansey namedrop. West Virginia legend"
In response to Reply # 2

PITTSNOGLE!

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "The Trade Discussion That Made Ky Opt Out:"
In response to Reply # 0

Multi-Team deal that would've featured:

Love
Kyrie

-for-

PG
Melo
Bledsoe

-->

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sat Feb-24-18 08:22 AM

5. "I don't know if I like that trade."
In response to Reply # 4

NyQuil and Melo I think WILL work on OKC once Sam Presti does what he needs to do to get another scoring guard on that team

and Melo? Mmmmm... I assume he would take the Kevin Love role and I dunno about that on a LeBron team

If you had to trade Ky this outcome is about as good as it gets if you miss out on Quil

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Sat Feb-24-18 11:27 AM

6. "SAS articulates perfectly what i've said since july. "
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DE7wpwPN4E

lebron put his arm around him after game 5 and said "we'll be back" and then he evaluated trade ideas involving kyrie.

for people who blamed kyrie and wondered if he was insane for wanting to leave it was obvious that they were only thinking about lebron's legacy and his ability to win more titles. that's why they were mad at kyrie.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sun Feb-25-18 08:22 AM

7. "yep"
In response to Reply # 6

>lebron put his arm around him after game 5 and said "we'll be
>back" and then he evaluated trade ideas involving kyrie.
>
>for people who blamed kyrie and wondered if he was insane for
>wanting to leave it was obvious that they were only thinking
>about lebron's legacy and his ability to win more titles.
>that's why they were mad at kyrie.

and they showed that footage. clear as day.

LeBron's political game was a fumble here.

even Stephen A points out: "does it make LeBron bad? no."

but we all know who the org's gonna pick if it came down to it. their thoughts are more or less in line w/the kyrie detractors. because if LeBron don't think he can win or compete for another title, he's just going to go somewhere where he thinks he can. it might mess around and be Miami again.

so the Cavs have an interest to make the best of a situation. that's why he was quitting on the court. understandable because the team post-Ky trade was TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH. it was basically LeBron, Kevin Love, and dead weight.

you notice around that time, when the Kyrie trade talk was boiling up again that he was saying the whole "I wasn't consulted, I was mad they did that trade" stuff publicly.

then they pulled off 2 Knicks United Trade 2.0

narrative changes. LeBron happy again.

LeBron seen very publicly being supportive of Kyrie. Picking him (and Kevin Love) in the all-star game was a pre-emptive move. Durant, too.

it's kayfabe, man.

Zatoichi can see this shit.

Vex_id
Charter member
65616 posts
Sun Feb-25-18 10:13 AM

8. "I don't know why is has to be A. or B."
In response to Reply # 7

I think all of these things are true:
(1) Bron told Kyrie that "we'll be back" because at the time - He believed that - prior to trade talks
(2) Bron was privy to discussions about shipping Love/Ky for PG/Melo/EB
(3) Bron was open to the trade - as were the Cav brass (and I think most reasonable minds *would* be open to exploring this kind of trade - for one reason: GSW
(4) Kyrie got word of this and took deep offense
(5) The trade talks fell through
(6) Ky said fuck it I'm out - trade me - I'm not going to ride this year out if you don't trade me
(7) Cavs brass then sought out to trade talks
(8) They approved the IT/Kyrie deal
(9) Bron (whether he was consulted or not (looks like he wasn't)) objected to this trade (didn't matter)

^all of those things can be true (and I think they are based on the facts).

>LeBron's political game was a fumble here.

The only reason he has a "political game" is because of one reason: He knows the Cavs need everything they can get in order to compete with GSW. You *have* to be political to stay in the Championship hunt for as long as he has.

>but we all know who the org's gonna pick if it came down to
>it. their thoughts are more or less in line w/the kyrie
>detractors. because if LeBron don't think he can win or
>compete for another title, he's just going to go somewhere
>where he thinks he can. it might mess around and be Miami
>again.

but why would the org be in line w/ that? They will be in Cleveland if/when Bron leaves - so why wouldn't they be in line with that they think makes the *team* better and more competitive?

What I think people are missing is this: PG/Melo/EB arguably *do* make the Cavs more competitive against GSW/HOU than Ky/Love - could be simply a matter of fit/balance. As much as I love Kyrie's game, if you're a Cavs fan/part of the org - you have to explore this trade and analyze it - deeply consider it. It looks like the Cavs did and wanted this trade - but it fell apart because the Pacers ultimately balked.

>
>LeBron seen very publicly being supportive of Kyrie. Picking
>him (and Kevin Love) in the all-star game was a pre-emptive
>move. Durant, too.

pre-emptive of what? That's who Bron's always been. He looks at basketball as a game/business - not on the same level as the fraternity/brotherhood that he's developed with players over the years. Him picking them in the all-star game is indicative of who he's been his entire career.

Also - he's been supportive of Kyrie since the day he left Cleveland. That has remained a constant. 1st game of the year and Bron genuinely goes out of his way (in Cleveland) to embrace Kyrie and show respect - it's not for show or to spin a narrative. That's just who Lebron is and always been. It's why so many of the old guard analysts are annoyed by him (they cite 'lack of competitive spirit by being friends with players on rival teams).

Kyrie left because the Cavs were sloppy in exploring that trade scenario. They and Bron should've done more to retain Kyrie - but ultimately you have to understand this fact: Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland. It's likely he wanted out *anyway* and this was just the fuel he needed to legitimize going somewhere else. He's a cut-throat competitor and he simply wasn't going to be wholly happy in the robin role - and he has that right, he's an A-level top-tier player in the game. He deserves to be a batman somewhere - it just wasn't ever going to be with Lebron James in his relative prime.

That's basketball. That's business. But both share a bond that will never be broken. 2016. And for all those who want Kyrie to fan flames and stir into this faulty narrative that he and Bron are beefing somehow --- look how mad he looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka9RAoSWOjE

He's furious.

-->

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Sun Feb-25-18 02:33 PM

9. "This is all hilarious..."
In response to Reply # 0

People tend to forget that Kyrie wanted out after they won the chip.

Now there are all of these scenarios and reasons why he wanted out. After he won he wanted something new then.

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Sun Feb-25-18 02:49 PM

10. "it's all hilarious that you skipping steps..."
In response to Reply # 9

you never heard kyrie say that. it's just more cavs spin. if you believe that, then why not believe they wanted to move him for chris paul after that title?

kyrie said he wouldn't be the one to fuck this up. he wasn't.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Sun Feb-25-18 03:51 PM

11. "RE: it's all hilarious that you skipping steps..."
In response to Reply # 10

>
>you never heard kyrie say that. it's just more cavs spin. if
>you believe that, then why not believe they wanted to move him
>for chris paul after that title?
>
>kyrie said he wouldn't be the one to fuck this up. he wasn't.
>

There were reports that Kyrie asked to be dealt after they won the chip. I think that he had enough of the Cavs brass just as much as LBJ does.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2644395 Previous topic | Next topic