Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2621423

Subject: "Art Briles hired/fired in the CFL" Previous topic | Next topic
Rjcc
Charter member
94936 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 12:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Art Briles hired/fired in the CFL"

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20491001/art-briles-join-hamilton-tiger-cats-coaching-staff-according-statement-cfl-team

Former Baylor football coach Art Briles will not be coaching in the Canadian Football League, according to a Monday night announcement.

Baylor fired Briles last year after the university's investigation of its handling of allegations of sexual assaults by students, including football players. The Hamilton Tiger-Cats had hired him earlier Monday as assistant head coach for offense under head coach June Jones.

"Art Briles will no longer be joining the Hamilton Tiger-Cats as a coach," the CFL and the Tiger-Cats said in a joint statement. "We came to this decision this evening following a lengthy discussion between the league and the Hamilton organization. We wish Mr. Briles all the best in his future endeavours."

good.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Oh he's THAT Art Briles.
Aug 29th 2017
lulz, right...like, who had to be made aware?
Aug 29th 2017
they opened up his deadspin tag and were like WTF
Aug 29th 2017
so how long until his name aint radioactive?
Aug 29th 2017
he could probably go to some tiny churchy school
Aug 29th 2017
not very.
Aug 29th 2017
until hell freezes over
Feb 26th 2022
      Dan.those.aretheweekend.observations
Feb 27th 2022
RE: Art Briles hired/fired in the CFL
Aug 29th 2017
He isn't worthy of another shot IMO. Ever
Aug 29th 2017
he had a million chances to do the right thing in baylor
Aug 30th 2017
      sheesh, you ignore one gang rape, and people can't let it go
Aug 30th 2017
      He does need to publicly repent.
Sep 03rd 2017
Apparently he’s coaching a high school team now
May 24th 2019
Transfer your daughters out now
May 25th 2019
That's Texas high school football for ya.
May 25th 2019
Dave Bliss started working again
May 25th 2019
Literally every talk I have with my AD is about liability
May 26th 2019
New offensive coordinator at…Grambling State…
Feb 24th 2022
Hie trying to get back in with these white folks
Feb 24th 2022
      Hue*
Feb 25th 2022
uhhh
Feb 28th 2022
Dan just read it in its entirety on the show…sheesh
Feb 28th 2022
I see why he went 1-25 at Cleveland.
Feb 28th 2022
The fact it came from his “foundation” makes it so much worse
Mar 01st 2022
      Grambling should fire Jackson for that last paragraph, alone
Mar 01st 2022
           and the logo and name. Stranger 2 Changer???
Mar 02nd 2022
Briles resigns…
Feb 28th 2022
chris doyle pt. 2. why are people so stupid?
Feb 28th 2022
      they believe that time heals all wounds nm
Mar 01st 2022
           everyone loves a good redemption story!
Mar 01st 2022
grand opening, grand closing.
Mar 01st 2022

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 08:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Oh he's THAT Art Briles. "
In response to Reply # 0

Our mistake. You're fired.

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 09:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "lulz, right...like, who had to be made aware?"
In response to Reply # 1

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Rjcc
Charter member
94936 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 09:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "they opened up his deadspin tag and were like WTF"
In response to Reply # 1

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85002 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 09:16 AM

2. "so how long until his name aint radioactive?"
In response to Reply # 0

cause he can coach em up so you know some smaller program is gonna take the chance on him.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Rjcc
Charter member
94936 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 09:34 AM

5. "he could probably go to some tiny churchy school"
In response to Reply # 2

but the problem is baylor was already a churchy school, so it's a weird sell.

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 10:19 AM

6. "not very."
In response to Reply # 2

Has there ever been a (white) coach in the prime of his career with a winning track record who was effectively blacklisted for issues like rape or player behavior?

I can't think of any.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27104 posts
Sat Feb-26-22 11:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "until hell freezes over"
In response to Reply # 2

speaking of hell, Art Briles. (c) Stugotz

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Sun Feb-27-22 05:58 PM

21. "Dan.those.aretheweekend.observations"
In response to Reply # 20

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 07:52 PM

7. "RE: Art Briles hired/fired in the CFL"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-29-17 07:52 PM by obsidianchrysalis

I believe in second chances and I think he deserves to coach again at some point.

What steps would he have to go through to prove his worthy of another shot. TV interview where he is contrite and fully understands the magnitude of the abusive culture he oversaw? Public speaking tour where he councils college and high school coaches about football culture and consent?

Personally I think he needs to sit out for this year and then maybe he could consult with a team while undergoing some counsel with a preacher who's renown for their sensitivity to gender issues and come back for the 2018 or 2019 season.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20496809/hamilton-tiger-cats-ceo-cites-tsunami-negativity-cfl-team-reversal-art-briles-hiring

ESPN.com news services

Hamilton Tiger-Cats CEO Scott Mitchell cited a "tsunami of negativity" from fans and media in the United States as one of the main reasons why the Canadian Football League team reversed its decision to hire former Baylor coach Art Briles.

Mitchell addressed the controversial decision during a radio interview Tuesday with SN590 The Fan in Toronto, reiterating that he thought Briles deserved a second chance to coach. Mitchell acknowledged, however, that the Tiger-Cats underestimated the negative reaction that would follow the announcement of Briles' hiring.

"Most of the tsunami of negativity started in the States," Mitchell said. "I think most of the social media activity was generated out of the States, where Art Briles and Baylor is still a very, very fresh issue. I think we clearly underestimated that. ...

"We underestimated the tsunami of negativity that was going to happen, and we made a mistake in trying to contemplate a second chance versus the impact of what had happened at Baylor. ... I think as the day went on, it just became very clear that despite the fact that most people in life believe in second chances, it just became very clear that this was just not acceptable to people."

Baylor fired Briles last year after the university's investigation of its handling of allegations of sexual assaults by students, including football players. The Tiger-Cats hired him Monday as an assistant under head coach June Jones, but announced later in the day that Briles would no longer be joining the team.

Tiger-Cats owner Bob Young released a statement Tuesday, saying that the organization was wrong in its initial decision to hire Briles.

"We made a large and serious mistake," Young said in the statement. "We want to apologize to our fans, corporate partners and the Canadian Football League. It has been a difficult season and we are searching for answers. This is clearly not one of them. We have listened, we are reviewing our decision-making processes and we will learn. We will go on. We want to thank our fans, partners and the CFL for their help and support."

Mitchell was far less contrite in his radio interview Tuesday, saying on multiple occasions that society and the media have refused to let Briles continue his coaching career.

"There is the truth about what went on and then there is what is out there in the media," Mitchell said. "I think probably we got far too wrapped up in what we understand happened. ... We felt he deserved a second opportunity. Clearly that's unacceptable to society today. It's unacceptable to the media that have taken on the issue.

"I think anything related to domestic violence is -- for good reason -- so toxic that regardless of what limited or extreme level someone may have had in it, it's just totally unacceptable to the public that somebody is going to be allowed to work, based on that experience right now."

Briles, 61, has been out of coaching since May 2016, when Baylor officials suspended him with intent to terminate for his role in the school's sexual assault scandal. He later reached an undisclosed financial settlement with Baylor, where he coached from 2008 to 2015, posting a 65-37 record and winning a share of back-to-back Big 12 titles in 2013 and 2014.

Jones, the former Hawai'i and SMU coach, was named the Tiger-Cats' head coach on Thursday. Hamilton was 0-8 when former coach Kent Austin stepped down and Jones was promoted last week.

Mitchell said nobody within the organization will be fired for the initial decision to hire Briles. He also mentioned "vitriol" on social media, where "people have the ability to chime in."

"It gets to a point of negativity where you can't defend a mistake like that, where the general public has said it's not acceptable," he said. "There is no moral high ground on an issue like this, second chance or otherwise."

Mitchell also said he hopes Briles coaches again "at some point," but doubted that it will happen because "clearly right now society is not going to accept that."

ESPN's Mark Schlabach and Paula Lavigne and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85002 posts
Tue Aug-29-17 10:45 PM

8. "He isn't worthy of another shot IMO. Ever"
In response to Reply # 7

Too many minority coaches out here hoping for a first shot to give this fuck head a second chance.

<--- Big Baller World Order

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Wed Aug-30-17 08:32 AM

9. "he had a million chances to do the right thing in baylor"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Aug-30-17 08:32 AM by 3xKrazy

he's a grown man who made many conscientious decisions to do the wrong thing each and every time.

fuck him.

and it's not like he needs the money.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Wed Aug-30-17 02:27 PM

10. "sheesh, you ignore one gang rape, and people can't let it go"
In response to Reply # 9

i mean, there were other bad guys on the team, but they only raped one at a time. it's not like they were all gang raping. It's been like 6 months, can't we all just move on.

*heaping amounts of sarcasm above, just in case that needs clarification*

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Sun Sep-03-17 07:12 PM

11. "He does need to publicly repent."
In response to Reply # 9

As bad as the scandal was and is, his consistent denial of the impact of his actions or unawareness is intolerable.

Given that I said that he deserves a second chance, I can't see that he ever is a head coach anywhere, college or pros, again. Not unless he truly transforms as a human being. He's obviously a good coach so I could see him being a coordinator. But he ought to have no say over the direction of a program ever again. He's lost that privilege.

I think what would I do if my son (it's worth noting that I don't have kids.) had a chance to go to a school where he was a coach. I don't know what I would do.

Obviously there are men who have the attitude that Briles has towards rape culture, and some of them are employed in athletics at major programs or in the pros. But it's something else entirely to employ someone who's been so public with their ignorance.

Just a difficult situation.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri May-24-19 11:00 PM

12. "Apparently he’s coaching a high school team now"
In response to Reply # 0

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat May-25-19 07:41 AM

13. "Transfer your daughters out now"
In response to Reply # 12

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86643 posts
Sat May-25-19 09:01 AM

14. "That's Texas high school football for ya."

Rapes, no rapes, we don't care, just win on Friday nights baby!

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

DeepAztheRoot
Member since Dec 19th 2003
13992 posts
Sat May-25-19 12:44 PM

15. "Dave Bliss started working again"

I can't say I am surprised.

Big XII should have booted Baylor and added Houston or Memphis.

<-Fear Ameer

Walleye
Charter member
15515 posts
Sun May-26-19 02:20 PM

16. "Literally every talk I have with my AD is about liability"

Literally, every one. We'll start talking about the weather like regular boring grown-ups. And then it'll move to bad weather. And then to lightning. And then to liability concerns.

If we can't count on a basic sense of human moral reasoning to keep this unrepentant shit out of a job, then I would have at least figured the threat of seven-figure lawsuits should have done it. But apparently not.

We're gross.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Thu Feb-24-22 02:04 PM

17. "New offensive coordinator at…Grambling State…"
In response to Reply # 0

Hue Jackson, what is you doing, baby?!

https://www.arklatexhomepage.com/sports/local-sports/gmennation/report-grambling-state-set-to-hire-art-briles-as-offensive-coordinator/

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79349 posts
Thu Feb-24-22 03:10 PM

18. "Hie trying to get back in with these white folks"
In response to Reply # 17

threw dude a lifeline

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Fri Feb-25-22 12:16 PM

19. "Hue*"
In response to Reply # 18

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 06:02 PM

22. "uhhh"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/HueJacksonFDN/status/1497279056588558338?s=20&t=Ok7zLtt0bE6o0K2fhvgyrA

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 06:06 PM

23. "Dan just read it in its entirety on the show…sheesh"
In response to Reply # 22

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 08:26 PM

25. "I see why he went 1-25 at Cleveland. "

Dude is out of touch

calminvasion
Charter member
12561 posts
Tue Mar-01-22 10:21 AM

27. "The fact it came from his “foundation” makes it so much worse"
Tue Mar-01-22 10:22 AM by calminvasion

The level of tone deafness is incredible.

The only play after making that terrible decision is to stay quite

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Tue Mar-01-22 02:33 PM

30. "Grambling should fire Jackson for that last paragraph, alone"
In response to Reply # 27

legsdiamond
79349 posts
Wed Mar-02-22 09:44 AM

32. "and the logo and name. Stranger 2 Changer??? "
In response to Reply # 30

That shit sounds like a remix of Stranger Danger which isn’t a good look.

Dstl1
Charter member
56192 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 06:06 PM

24. "Briles resigns…"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1498432626549571591?s=20&t=L0Q8Bw_bTY-xfWwM8DfLqw

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Mon Feb-28-22 09:02 PM

26. "chris doyle pt. 2. why are people so stupid?"
In response to Reply # 24

who would think that anyone would be cool with this hire?

guru0509
Charter member
45302 posts
Tue Mar-01-22 10:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
29. "they believe that time heals all wounds nm"
In response to Reply # 26

>who would think that anyone would be cool with this hire?

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

3xKrazy
Charter member
21576 posts
Tue Mar-01-22 03:51 PM

31. "everyone loves a good redemption story!"
In response to Reply # 29

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Mar-01-22 10:24 AM

28. "grand opening, grand closing."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2621423 Previous topic | Next topic