Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2611764

Subject: ""i didn't. mark jackson did."" Previous topic | Next topic
dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Tue Jun-06-17 09:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""i didn't. mark jackson did.""

The last three years have to have been bittersweet for Mark Jackson. On one hand, his fingerprints are all over this Warriors team that is knocking down the door on the conversation for greatest team ever. At the same time, this group of talent (sans Kevin Durant) did not really flourish until after Jackson had been fired as Warriors head coach in 2014.

Steve Kerr has received a ton of much-deserved credit for molding the Warriors into the offensive juggernaut they have become under his watch, but what makes Golden State a historically good team is its play on both ends. The Warriors finished first in offensive efficiency and second in defensive efficiency during the regular season.

When asked Tuesday how he was able to forge a great defensive team while not sacrificing anything on the other end, Kerr made sure to give the credit where it is due: Mark Jackson.

https://youtu.be/WEi-e8jdsUM

Reporter: How did you make this such a good defensive team while keeping up the pace (offensively)?

Kerr: I didn’t. I didn’t; Mark Jackson did. Honestly. When I was in TV, I was doing Warriors games for years; every year they were one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Mark came in and made a focus of being a tough defensive-minded team.

The trade for Andrew Bogut, to me, changed the identity of the team. The year before I got here, the Warriors were the fourth-ranked defensive team in the league — already top-five. We knew what we had. We didn’t change one thing defensively. We started switching more when Draymond took over that power forward role. But for the most part, our schemes — everything — stayed the same.

We already knew they had established that defensive identity. Our job was to improve the offense — to get more movement and more flow. And that was my focus.

And improve the offense Kerr did. He found ways to get Curry more open looks off the ball, greatly improved the offensive spacing and the flow of the offense. That’s when the Warriors truly took off. The offense was just way too stagnant under Jackson, which is a big reason they were nothing more than fringe contender in the West before Kerr took over. At the same time, Golden State isn’t the machine it is now without Jackson’s influence on the defensive end.

When Jackson took over the Warriors in 2011, the team ranked 26th in defensive efficiency. Three years later it cracked the top-five. Now, having good, versatile defenders like Green, Bogut, Klay Thompson and Andre Iguodala certainly helped, but if we’re raving about Kerr’s offense when he has Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Thompson and Green at his disposal, then we should do the same for Jackson and his defense.

As Jackson put it during the first Cavs-Warriors NBA Finals: “Steve Kerr has done an outstanding job. You’re seeing the best team in basketball today. Deserves a lot of credit. While giving him credit, there’s no need to take away credit from the past. You cannot disrespect the caterpillar and rave about the butterfly.”

https://youtu.be/KaQqnjPTzGU

Kerr would clearly agree with that sentiment.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/nba-finals-warriors-steve-kerr-mark-jackson-defense

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
'genda Alert!!!!
Jun 06th 2017
Classy is an old school term, but Kerr is its epitome.
Jun 06th 2017
Incredibly humble...
Jun 06th 2017
Respect.
Jun 07th 2017
Kerr always gives respect to those who came before him
Jun 07th 2017
You know what? I'm not playing nice. Fuck y'all.
Jun 07th 2017
Only possible conclusions...
Jun 07th 2017
That's dope
Jun 07th 2017
Marcus Thompson with another one
Jun 07th 2017
So who's going to bring that up tonight?
Jun 07th 2017
respect
Jun 07th 2017

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Tue Jun-06-17 09:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "'genda Alert!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Tue Jun-06-17 10:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Classy is an old school term, but Kerr is its epitome."
In response to Reply # 0

He didn't have to go out of his way to credit Mark. But he did and shows he's just an honorable man based upon the sense his peers have of him.

(he could be kicking kittens in the gut in his downtime but he's at least keeping it together where it counts.)

Say what you want to say about his odd rotations or that he isn't an X&O's coach, but he gets the most out of his players and I'm sure his integrity helps with that.

One of my favorite coaches in the league.

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Tue Jun-06-17 10:16 PM

3. "Incredibly humble..."
In response to Reply # 0

And I'm sure Mark Jackson appreciates it... it's hard not to, at least, wonder how Jackson feels covering these last 3 finals... I felt for him the other night when they had to cover Kerr's return and what it meant for the Warriors... This statement today by Kerr is something that most fans already knew to be true, but definitely a great thing that Kerr acknowledges it...

guru0509
Charter member
45356 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 12:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Respect. "
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 01:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Kerr always gives respect to those who came before him"
In response to Reply # 0

And who work with him. Epitome of a stand-up guy in the leader. A great leader and motivator. Hope he stays with GS forever.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 02:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "You know what? I'm not playing nice. Fuck y'all."
In response to Reply # 0

Y'all called me a race baiter for YEARS for saying
ANYTHING good about Mark Jackson.

The obvious key to that team is that they are MORE than just
jumpshooters. They are a WELL ROUNDED, TOUGH and gritty
team that still defends like hell almost independent of who
is on the floor.

Jackson is why Klay is an ELITE defender. Jackson is why Steph
is a well-rounded playmaker. Jackson DRAFTED Draymond, FOUGHT
with the front office to give him minutes over Barnes.

And why did he draft Draymond? He wanted to recreate the
tough athletic frontcourt of his Pacers teams (and he DID).

I told y'all this.

And y'all either racist or coons.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 04:17 AM

7. "Only possible conclusions..."
In response to Reply # 6

>And y'all either racist or coons.
>
>
>

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 06:22 AM

8. "That's dope"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 07:52 AM

9. "Marcus Thompson with another one"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/07/thompson-how-the-warriors-became-a-defensive-juggernaut-in-10-steps/

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 07:56 AM

10. "So who's going to bring that up tonight?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have to think it'll be Van Gundy since Breen is pretty much the straight man among the trio.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 08:09 AM

11. "respect "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2611764 Previous topic | Next topic