Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2608640

Subject: "2017 Sacramento Kings Offseason Post" Previous topic | Next topic
SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon May-15-17 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2017 Sacramento Kings Offseason Post"

First, the bad news per Chad Ford. Nobody wants to play for them.

"The Sacramento Kings have recently struggled to have players work out for them during the draft process.

Due to the Kings' dysfunction, the thought has been players would be better off dropping in the draft to avoid what has been a difficult situation for young players.

The Kings hired Scott Perry this offseason in hopes of improving their relationship with agents and other front offices, but multiple agents told ESPN that they will continue to help their clients avoid Sacramento.

"It would be malpractice to let my clients play for them," one longtime agent said. "I've had clients there. It's still the most dysfunctional front office in the league, by a mile. How can you trust those guys with one of your players? It's going to take a long time to build that trust."

The Kings may be unable to host a player for a workout that goes in the top-20."
---
On the bright side, the Kings are actually in a pretty good spot in terms of the rebuild.

Hield looked good at the end of the season. Skal and Trillie showed some signs of life after the Boogie trade. Georgios Papagiannis looked like he might not have been a complete mistake. Bogdan Bogdanovich had a good season overseas and, at the very least, might have helped his trade value (not sure how he fits right now if Hield is the SG of the future and they keep Ben.)

They also are currently slotted at 8 & 10 and have a 13.9 percent chance of moving up into the top 3. But with the upper tier of the draft being about 10 or 11 deep, they should be able to get two good prospects. DraftExpress has them getting Jonathan Isaac and Frank Ntilikina right now.

And, in a surprising move, Rudy Gay says he is going to opt out which opens up more cap space. The Kings are currently sitting at 61 million in salaries.

The only free agent decision they have is Ben McLemore, who looked like he might have finally figured out NBA basketball this year. At the very least, he fulfilled his promise as a shooter and has a role as a marksman in the league. I wouldn't break the bank to keep him but it would probably be the wisest move to either work a sign-and-trade or just sign him, rather than to lose an asset for nothing. (Also, the team is under the salary floor so they could afford a mild overpay.)

I think Vivek, Vlade, and Co. should embrace the tank and look to sign a couple of veterans who might be looking into coaching and would want to work as mentors to the youngsters. Especially a veteran big man who can teach Trillie, Skal, and Papa the tricks of the trade.

They also should consider eating a short term salary for a pick or prospect. Teams looking to sign a big name could need to cut salary and the Kings are in perfect position to take advantage of that, with their cap space and with Afflalo's expiring deal.
They also could look to just move Kostas Koufos who probably wants to play and not ride the pine while the youngsters get their minutes.

Of course, the question is whether or not Vivek will be amenable to tanking or if he's going to force the issue and try to bring in any vets he can to try to win.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was riding through an area of the city yesterday morning...
May 15th 2017

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Mon May-15-17 03:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I was riding through an area of the city yesterday morning..."
In response to Reply # 0

and happened upon Ben McClemore III Pl. I just shook my head and kinda laughed. No one else in the car knew why.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2608640 Previous topic | Next topic