Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2601729

Subject: "NIT final four - Cal State Bakersfield, Georgia Tech, TCU, UCF" Previous topic | Next topic
Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 09:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NIT final four - Cal State Bakersfield, Georgia Tech, TCU, UCF"

I know it's only the NIT, but I'm pretty pumped that my hometown team CSUB has crashed the party. First ever 8 seed to make it. CSUB has only been DI for like 8 seasons, and only been in an actual conference for three.

It's been quite a run. Won at Cal, at Colorado State, and at UT Arlington. In all three games, CSUB was up by 20+ at one point. Cal and UTA managed almost-comebacks due to CSUB getting into foul trouble and having to sit key defenders. It's been all about 3 point shooting and defense. CSUB is 30 of 59 from deep overall. Georgia Tech is on a good run, themselves, so this one could be rough if CSUB gets into foul trouble again. But if CSUB can keep out of foul trouble and shoot the three like they have, they'll be partying like they are in my avi!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Antonio Davis' son plays for UCF. His daughter's at S. Carolina
Mar 28th 2017
i agree with your scouting report from the opposite perspective
Mar 28th 2017
RE: i agree with your scouting report from the opposite perspective
Mar 28th 2017
regarding Indiana:
Mar 28th 2017
      I saw that. Why bother accepting the bid??
Mar 28th 2017
i wish more big teams took iseriously.
Mar 28th 2017
      im positive its making a difference for next year
Mar 28th 2017
36-26 at half. Not far from what I expected.
Mar 28th 2017
Ben making his presence felt with 5 blk+stl already
Mar 28th 2017
      Yeah. A lot of off rebs they'd be getting against other teams are not
Mar 28th 2017
      It's a runaway... CSUB is feeling pressed and lapsing on d
Mar 28th 2017
      RE: Ben making his presence felt with 5 blk+stl already
Mar 28th 2017
Dawk: King of the NIT.
Mar 28th 2017

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 09:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Antonio Davis' son plays for UCF. His daughter's at S. Carolina"
In response to Reply # 0

Antonio Jr. and Kaela are twins. ANtonio & his wife might be logging mad miles between NY and Dallas.

There are also 2 sisters left in the women's Final Four. Katie Lou Samuelson, a sophomore at UConn and her sister, Karly, a senior at Stanford. Their father was putting in a ton of miles for this tourney also.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35257 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 10:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i agree with your scouting report from the opposite perspective"
In response to Reply # 0

we gotta make you guys stop Lammers and Stephens, and keep pounding it with them until you do.

on the other end, Heath, Jackson, and Okogie have to be running EVERYTHING off the 3 poin line. Lammers is the best shot blocker in the country (only a very slight bias here) and if your dudes are effectively funneled towards him he could eat big.

GT is probably the only "name" program that took this tournament seriously, and im VERY pleased by that. We were projected last in the ACC with some winless predictions. Pastner turned that around and is demanding that these guys compete every day. Okogie, Jackson, and Lammers should be a safe Big tournament core next year.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 01:02 PM

3. "RE: i agree with your scouting report from the opposite perspective"
In response to Reply # 2

Good to know. CSUB does foul a lot, so if Aly and Ndoye aren't careful, they could end up on the bench early as they have at times recently.

When the jumpers aren't falling, they tend to rely on Briggs for post scoring, but he's only like 6'5", so it sounds like Lammers could shut that down if that's the case. Matt Smith is a beast around the rim, but doesn't have as much offensive game as Briggs.

On offense, it's typically all about the guards for CSUB. Durham is the 3 point sniper, and I read a stat that he takes 39% of the team's shots when he's on the floor. Basile also makes things happen with handles and shooting, as does Airington who has more size.

I do respect that GT and the other final four teams took this tourney seriously. It's clear that bummed-out teams like Cal and Indiana didn't bother showing up. And it's fun to beat expectations like you said. CSUB lost a few very key seniors from last season, but avoided a dropoff, and actually did better in the regular season by winning the WAC regular season.

This should be a fun one. CSUB is generally fearless and aggressive. Wrapp and Pride are excellent ballhandlers and create a lot despite not shooting much. And overall, the defensive pressure, recovery, and rotations for CSUB are excellent. It sounds like CSUB's guards will need to disrupt post entry stuff as much as they can without fouling. CSUB has some size, but neither of the big guys are premier rim protectors, although they are good rebounders.

I am very much looking forward to seeing them take on a bigger and more seasoned team than they're used to -- or at least one that cares, since Cal didn't appear to care much.

>we gotta make you guys stop Lammers and Stephens, and keep
>pounding it with them until you do.
>
>on the other end, Heath, Jackson, and Okogie have to be
>running EVERYTHING off the 3 poin line. Lammers is the best
>shot blocker in the country (only a very slight bias here) and
>if your dudes are effectively funneled towards him he could
>eat big.
>
>GT is probably the only "name" program that took this
>tournament seriously, and im VERY pleased by that. We were
>projected last in the ACC with some winless predictions.
>Pastner turned that around and is demanding that these guys
>compete every day. Okogie, Jackson, and Lammers should be a
>safe Big tournament core next year.

cgonz00cc
35257 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "regarding Indiana:"
In response to Reply # 3

that was our 1st rd opponent, and they actually requested to play on the road because they felt Assembly Hall was too sacred to host NIT games

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 06:04 PM

5. "I saw that. Why bother accepting the bid??"
In response to Reply # 4

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 06:28 PM

6. "i wish more big teams took iseriously."
In response to Reply # 2

UNC tried when they were in it and i think it made our team a bit better the following year

<--- Big Baller World Order

cgonz00cc
35257 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 07:12 PM

9. "im positive its making a difference for next year"
In response to Reply # 6

even a taste of "win or go home" is good for this team

but the buy-in has me so encouraged

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 06:50 PM

7. "36-26 at half. Not far from what I expected. "
In response to Reply # 0

I figured the threes would not be falling like they have all tourney. I expected better D than we've seen all tourney from the opponent. CSUB needs to calm down a lot. Overaggression on D is leading to easy drives to the hoop, and on offense, every opening they get goes right to a panic pass or shot.

cgonz00cc
35257 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 07:11 PM

8. "Ben making his presence felt with 5 blk+stl already"
In response to Reply # 7

not diggin your offensive rebounding tho

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 07:29 PM

10. "Yeah. A lot of off rebs they'd be getting against other teams are not"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue Mar-28-17 07:29 PM by Wonderl33t

Possible Against this Tech front line

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 07:30 PM

11. "It's a runaway... CSUB is feeling pressed and lapsing on d"
In response to Reply # 8

Too much leaving one guy completely unguarded

Wonderl33t
21405 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 08:11 PM

12. "RE: Ben making his presence felt with 5 blk+stl already"
In response to Reply # 8

GGs. CSUB never quite adjusted to your extended defense. And they were playing pressed toward the end.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Mar-28-17 09:03 PM

13. "Dawk: King of the NIT."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2601729 Previous topic | Next topic