Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2593636

Subject: "Yogi Ferrell balled for his life and lived." Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Yogi Ferrell balled for his life and lived."

http://www.nba.com/games/20170203/DALPOR#/video

Happy for the young man:

After a 4-0 week as Dallas’ starting point guard, Yogi Ferrell and the Mavericks have agreed to a two-year contract that he’ll sign Tuesday when his first 10-day contract expires, league sources told The Vertical.

The Mavericks and Ferrell will bypass a second 10-day contract after working toward the two-year deal, sources said.

Ferrell, 23, has held his own in matchups against Tony Parker, Kyrie Irving and Damian Lillard during the past week, culminating with a 32-point performance in a win against Portland on Friday night. He is averaging 17.8 points, five assists and three rebounds while shooting 52 percent from 3-point range in 37.5 minutes per game for Dallas.

Ferrell was placed into a starting role because of injuries to Deron Williams and J.J. Barea.

Ferrell, a 6-foot guard out of Indiana University, has become a success story this season. He wasn’t selected in last June’s NBA draft, but landed with Brooklyn for the Summer League and was waived during the Nets’ training camp. He was re-signed when the Nets dealt with injuries in November and played 10 games, but was waived again in December.

Ferrell had been biding time for his next NBA opportunity in the NBA Development League and even considered signing overseas until the Mavericks requested him to fly to Dallas on Jan. 27 for a 10-day contract.

Ferrell had a standout four-year career at Indiana, where he is the school’s all-time assists leader.

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Couldn't believe he went undrafted
Feb 04th 2017
He seemed like your classic "great college G who can't break in."
Feb 04th 2017
He had no fatal flaws to my eyes
Feb 04th 2017
      He was never a good defender, really.
Feb 04th 2017
           That's the thing. You can say that about many classes of player
Feb 04th 2017
                You know what? I'll chill on that point, as you're right.
Feb 04th 2017
Classic case of staying in school hurting you
Feb 04th 2017
Good for him.
Feb 04th 2017
That's what's up. Congrats.
Feb 04th 2017
Yogi better
Feb 04th 2017
Hes definitely brought some excitement to this team
Feb 04th 2017
Favorite story of the NBA season so far. Glad he made it.
Feb 04th 2017

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Couldn't believe he went undrafted"
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 01:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "He seemed like your classic "great college G who can't break in.""
In response to Reply # 1

He was a lot of fun to watch in college when he was on.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "He had no fatal flaws to my eyes"
In response to Reply # 3

Definitely had the minimum requisite athleticism but he made his 4 years of college productive, not in the sense of stats, but his own development.

He made himself into an elite shooter and then obviously worked at rounding out his game beyond that.

Teams overthink this shit sometimes.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 03:11 PM

8. "He was never a good defender, really."
In response to Reply # 6

When you combine that with his size/athleticism limits, I didn't want to invest too much into him as a future NBA player, because Lord knows I've been burned by many a terrific-offensive-undersized-college-guard before.

I do remember thinking he was pretty high on my possibilities-for-very-end-of-second-round list, though.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 03:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "That's the thing. You can say that about many classes of player"
In response to Reply # 8

because Lord knows I've been burned by many a
>terrific-offensive-undersized-college-guard before.

You can say this for big men, athletic swingmen,
European 7 footers with jumpshots

For some reason, we're harded on these little guards
and scout them in weird wasys

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 08:12 PM

12. "You know what? I'll chill on that point, as you're right."
In response to Reply # 10

Every player has dudes that are undersized who turn out okay. I shouldn't have dropped a generalization in when that wasn't the point I wanted to make.

My point with Yogi was more a combination of things that would make any scout concerned. Not only was he undersized, but he was pretty lousy defensively and he was bad at the rim offensively. We've seen undersized guys who can do one or both of those things-- he could do neither. He also exhibited some bad shot selection in college, which makes him a lot of fun to watch in college but doesn't necessarily project well in conjunction with the other things.

It also doesn't help that last year's class was really deep with point guards. Demetrius Jackson went *45th* and he was considered a first round lock coming into the season. Kay Felder went in the 50s, another guys that projected better than Ferrell. Fred VanVleet went undrafted, and I liked him more than Ferrell.

Still, Marcus Paige got drafted and Ferrell didn't. That shouldn't have happened. Same for Tyrone Wallace, really (though he was 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan, a classic D-League Hail Mary, so I get that a little more... but Wallace couldn't really shoot or pass well, so, yeah).

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 03:26 PM

9. "Classic case of staying in school hurting you"
In response to Reply # 1

It's my major issue with the NBA draft. They rather take these euro-dudes on potential than a college kid. They pick apart the college kid's game because they have hours-and-hours of tape.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 12:28 PM

2. "Good for him."
In response to Reply # 0

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 01:10 PM

4. "That's what's up. Congrats."
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Beezo
Charter member
27558 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 01:12 PM

5. "Yogi better"
In response to Reply # 0

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 02:55 PM

7. "Hes definitely brought some excitement to this team"
In response to Reply # 0

the past few games have been alot of fun to watch

the whole team is feeling it

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 07:22 PM

11. "Favorite story of the NBA season so far. Glad he made it. "
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2593636 Previous topic | Next topic