Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2583643

Subject: "Where you at on Marvin Lewis...RIGHT TODAY?" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 11:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Where you at on Marvin Lewis...RIGHT TODAY?"

You're the Bengals' owner. The team blew a 14 point lead over the Steelers Sunday, dropping them to 5-8-1 (2-3 in the division, both wins over Clevelland) and officially eliminating them from the playoffs. You lost OC Hue Jackson, Sanu, Jones, Eifert only played half a season and AJ Green has been out since week 10 (Jeez...AJ Green has 4 TDs in 10 games!! That seems unreal). The offense fades terribly in second halves of games. On the other hand, the defense ranks 26th against the run and 21st overall. They end the season @ Houston and vs. Baltimore...both those teams have something to play for. Should they end up 5-10-1, you rockin with him another year? If they finish 7-8-1, is that enough? Where you at?

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'd be shocked if he was fired
Dec 21st 2016
1 more year. has to win a playoff game.
Dec 21st 2016
what would the bengals record be this year if they had the best coach
Dec 21st 2016
hmmm, I'd say 8-6 or 9-5
Dec 21st 2016
Their season ended when AJ Green got hurt.
Dec 21st 2016
      but, they won the lost the 2 games prior to him getting hurt...
Dec 21st 2016
Beli have them 10-6.
Dec 21st 2016
How many playoff games would the best coach win in 13 years?
Dec 21st 2016
more than zero
Dec 21st 2016
RE: what would the bengals record be this year if they had the best coac...
Dec 21st 2016
jay gruden, hue jackson
Dec 21st 2016
I hope he never leaves
Dec 21st 2016
I'd pretty much echo everything Trill said...
Dec 21st 2016
lol basically
Dec 21st 2016
      RE: lol basically
Dec 21st 2016
I love the "no playoff wins" argument
Dec 21st 2016
right before Marv got there they were considered the worst franchise...
Dec 21st 2016
And now they're one of the most stuck in mediocrity franchises
Dec 21st 2016
      When we were 0-3 in the playoffs this was the battle cry
Dec 21st 2016
      would any other coach have survived the 2015 meltdown?
Dec 21st 2016
           It's the Bengals. They are a fucking joke franchise.
Dec 21st 2016
           So you say stay this level forever?
Dec 21st 2016
           Yeah, sadly this pretty much nails it right now.
Dec 21st 2016
           Nope.
Dec 21st 2016
      they could be like the Browns with 6 different HC's in the last 9 years....
Dec 22nd 2016
           At least we're mediocre and not the worst franchise in sports
Dec 22nd 2016
                RE: At least we're mediocre and not the worst franchise in sports
Dec 22nd 2016
                     History has seen teams on the verge change coaches and win
Dec 22nd 2016
                     RE: History has seen teams on the verge change coaches and win
Dec 22nd 2016
                     The Colts and Bucks actually help Marvin Lewis.
Dec 22nd 2016
                          Someone to win with his team is EXACTLY what they need
Dec 22nd 2016
                               Except this Bengals defense is nowhere near as talented as Tampa's...
Dec 22nd 2016
                                    RE: Except this Bengals defense is nowhere near as talented as Tampa's.....
Dec 22nd 2016
                     dawg, I was a one-man street team for Lovie....
Dec 22nd 2016
Can Matt Stafford count on this kind of support from you in QB Warz?
Dec 21st 2016
Id trade Jim Caldwell for him without even a thought
Dec 21st 2016
Lulz. Caldwell was on the HOT SEAT a few months ago.
Dec 22nd 2016
      Uh no. And his seat is hot as hell right today.
Dec 22nd 2016

THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'd be shocked if he was fired"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-21-16 11:35 AM by THRILLHOUSE

Just based on how this organization works. He still has a year left on his contract. Mike Brown likes him. Marvin still wants to coach. And they'll use a lot of what you said as an excuse for why this year was a failure - the Eifert and Green injuries. Roster and Coaching turnover. And some of that does have merit. On the other hand, had they realized Nugent was a bum at this point in his career and brought in a decent kicker sooner, they actually would probably still be in the playoff race.

As a Bengal fan, I'm on the fence. I probably would've fired him after last years playoff game since it was such an epic meltdown. I'm kind of ready for a new voice/leadership now. Plenty of talent still on that roster, so it wouldn't be a complete rebuilding job. So yeah, if I were owner, I'd probably let him go.

But back to reality where unfortunately, Mike Brown is the owner...

I don't really have much faith in Mike Brown hiring a good replacement. His track record of head coach hiring pre-Marvin is abysmal. He'll probably just go with cheapest option available. Had they fired him a couple of years ago, they could've replaced him with Hue or Zimmer. But now there isn't anyone else on that staff that I see as NFL Head Coach caliber. And I actually like Marvin more than most Bengal fans. Yeah, some of his in-game decisions will drive me nuts, but he is the one that completely turned the organization around. Not every playoff loss is his fault (Palmer injury. Dalton shitting himself repeatedly. Things could've even been different had Dalton not got hurt last year).

But none of this really matters, he isn't getting fired. And I just typed way too many words than necessary for this team. Next year could be make or break though.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 11:33 AM

2. "1 more year. has to win a playoff game."
In response to Reply # 0

1 more year off the strength of last 5/6 seasons being good.

has to win a playoff game cause breh 0-7 in wild cards.

fair.

<--- Big Baller World Order

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 11:34 AM

3. "what would the bengals record be this year if they had the best coach"
In response to Reply # 0

in the league? you decide who the best coach is. put that person on the sidelines and predict their record for this year.

I ain't lyin. This shit i'm making up is true...

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 11:45 AM

4. "hmmm, I'd say 8-6 or 9-5"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Dec-21-16 11:47 AM by THRILLHOUSE

so right up there in the AFC North race. With the Eifert injury and tough early schedule, probably would've been a slow start regardless of who was coaching. Only early game I might change is that Broncos game. They let Trevor Siemian tear them up in his first road start.

But they blew the games vs. Washington and the Giants. They played lousy at home vs. a mediocre Bills team after those 2. So change that 3 game stretch to wins they'd have 8 wins. But then Green gets hurt first play of Ravens game, so have to re-adjust expectations after that.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 11:56 AM

5. "Their season ended when AJ Green got hurt."
In response to Reply # 4

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 12:11 PM

8. "but, they won the lost the 2 games prior to him getting hurt..."
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Dec-21-16 12:17 PM by Dstl1

and won the two games after. They were already 3-5-1 when he got hurt.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 12:06 PM

7. "Beli have them 10-6."
In response to Reply # 3

<--- Big Baller World Order

Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 01:13 PM

10. "How many playoff games would the best coach win in 13 years?"
In response to Reply # 3

Firing shouldn't be about 1 season it should be about a body of work and do you think you can go further with your coach or with someone else.

Is there any other coach who has gone 13 years with 1 team and never won a playoff game?

Look at this list of every coach to ever win a playoff game, because it includes guys like Rich Kotite. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_head_coaches_by_playoff_record

Now look at this list of coaches who never won a playoff game, nobody is even close to Marv at this point in terms of playoff failure other than Jim Mora and at least he didn't spend his entire tenure with 1 team not getting it done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_head_coaches_by_playoff_record#Coaches.2C_without_a_win

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 01:29 PM

13. "more than zero"
In response to Reply # 10

I don't blame him for 2005 (Palmer injury), 2011 (Dalton/Green first season). 2014 (AJ Green didn't play, couple of other skill positions were out as well).

2009, 2012, 2013 and the shitshow that was 2015, though? Yeah, each of those teams should have gotten at least 1 playoff win.

MaxPtah
Member since Mar 06th 2007
5838 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 01:19 PM

12. "RE: what would the bengals record be this year if they had the best coac..."
In response to Reply # 3

the best coach would have this team 11-5 this year I think

----------------------------------
www.maxptah.com
"you gotta be real white to hate on a nxgga for eating." (c) okp infin8

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4381 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 12:05 PM

6. "jay gruden, hue jackson"
In response to Reply # 0

apparently he aint too hot without an offensive coordinator

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79607 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 12:18 PM

9. "I hope he never leaves"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm a Steeler fan tho...

If I was the owner I fire his ass.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MaxPtah
5838 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 01:18 PM

11. "I'd pretty much echo everything Trill said..."
In response to Reply # 0

the locker room loves Marv and will run through brick walls for him, but even now I have to think that some of them are kinda ready to hear a new voice. Firing Marv would be a step back because Brown wouldn't hire the best candidate, he'd hire the cheapest candidate with no true track record. The best time to let Marv go would be when the window is completely shut and its 100% rebuilding time. AJ, Eifert, Gio, Burfict, Atkins, and Dalton are in their prime now so there is a little time.

But Brown ain't firing him...Me and Trill been trying to tell y'all every season, lol.

*I'm kinda glad we're finishing in 3rd this year. We still have a team that is capable of a SB run and we will play a 3rd place schedule next year so it works in our favor, if we come in to the season healthier than this year.

www.maxptah.com

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 01:33 PM

14. "lol basically"
In response to Reply # 11

>But Brown ain't firing him...Me and Trill been trying to tell
>y'all every season, lol.

Man if they fired Marv and made Guenther or Zampese the HC, we wouldn't sniff the postseason for years. Letting Hue and Zimmer (and shit, even Gruden) go basically bought Marvin a couple of years of security. Since the Bengals love familiarity and cheapness, one realistic candidate I could get behind would be bringing Vance Joseph back.

MaxPtah
5838 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 01:59 PM

15. "RE: lol basically"
In response to Reply # 14

>Man if they fired Marv and made Guenther or Zampese the HC, we
>wouldn't sniff the postseason for years. Letting Hue and
>Zimmer (and shit, even Gruden) go basically bought Marvin a
>couple of years of security. Since the Bengals love
>familiarity and cheapness, one realistic candidate I could get
>behind would be bringing Vance Joseph back.

Yeah, Gruden is turning out to be a better HC than I expected and we knew it just a matter of time before Zim and Hue were gone. Guenther is Chuck Breshnahan with better defensive players (and I was a big Guenther stan last year, but I'm seeing his scheme now) and Zampese has looked like the resurrection of Bob Bratkowski last game in the second half.

I'd love for them to bring Vance back, that's who they were really hoping to groom to be Marv's replacement, but I think being a DC is his test right now.

www.maxptah.com

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 04:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "I love the "no playoff wins" argument"
In response to Reply # 0

It really great until you look at how bad the Bengals were
until he got there.

And unlike the Patriots, the resurrection wasn't tied to
one major player (Brady). Marv fixed the entire thing.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 04:25 PM

17. "right before Marv got there they were considered the worst franchise..."
In response to Reply # 16

in the NFL

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 04:56 PM

18. "And now they're one of the most stuck in mediocrity franchises"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed Dec-21-16 04:58 PM by Y2Flound

Marv did great things for them, maybe he could make a career out of building losers into playoff contending teams, he can go to Cleveland next.

But is the idea that he can't get it done in the playoffs that unreasonable? History is full of those kinds of players and coaches.

Sometimes you have to move on and hope someone else can do more, it might fail, but do you want your owner to be happy as a middle tier team forever?

The guy's been there 13 years. You want your team boasting about "Hey we're better than we were 13 years ago"?

MaxPtah
5838 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 05:30 PM

19. "When we were 0-3 in the playoffs this was the battle cry"
In response to Reply # 18

>The guy's been there 13 years. You want your team boasting
>about "Hey we're better than we were 13 years ago"?

0-4 thru 0-7 we deserve better from the team and management.

But the fans, we want more and I would like to have a new coach, but as me and Trill know all too well, that won't happen.

www.maxptah.com

THRILLHOUSE
3655 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 05:43 PM

20. "would any other coach have survived the 2015 meltdown?"
In response to Reply # 19

Yeah, PacMan and Burfict are close to impossible to control. And yeah, had Jeremy Hill just held on to the damn ball...But I just can't imagine any other franchise in football not firing the head coach after that disaster, especially considering it was the 5th straight 1st round loss.

And I do get OE's argument and don't 100% disagree with it. Me and you both would be worried that Brown could just hire Dave Shula 2.0 and bring us back to the dark ages. I'm even mostly ok with Marvin coming back next year, but if he can't get past the 1st round then, it's time for a change. But I think we both know, it would probably take a disaster of a season to force Mike Brown's hand to make a change. Because being better than the 90's is an acceptable bar to them.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 06:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "It's the Bengals. They are a fucking joke franchise. "
In response to Reply # 20

ONE GUY turned it around and made them competitive, gave
you a reason to watch the games.

Fire him, and regret it for a long, long, long time.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 07:04 PM

22. "So you say stay this level forever?"
In response to Reply # 21

Let's just say you could see the future and the future was 7-10 wins every year and no AFC titles. Do you take that forever?

No guarantees obviously, I'm asking you hypothetically do you take that over a complete question mark which could include AFC titles or could include being awful.

I roll the dice and go risky, sounds like you want the stability

MaxPtah
5838 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 09:08 PM

24. "Yeah, sadly this pretty much nails it right now."
In response to Reply # 21

>Fire him, and regret it for a long, long, long time.

He won't change coaches until its time to blow this team up. But, I'd be surprised if he's gone after this year.

www.maxptah.com

MaxPtah
5838 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 09:12 PM

26. "Nope."
In response to Reply # 20

And actually I'm surprised Marv survived it although we know Brown's feelings towards Marv. Hue would've been the right commander for this team.

www.maxptah.com

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 09:29 AM

27. "they could be like the Browns with 6 different HC's in the last 9 years...."
In response to Reply # 18

and not have shit to show for it.

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 09:52 AM

28. "At least we're mediocre and not the worst franchise in sports"
In response to Reply # 27

They should put that on the marketing material they send for season ticket sales

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 12:14 PM

29. "RE: At least we're mediocre and not the worst franchise in sports"
In response to Reply # 28

>They should put that on the marketing material they send for
>season ticket sales

People are going so overboard to defend guys. If MArv Lewis gets fired, there is literally zero argument that he didn't get a fair shake. And he will get another job if he wants one. If I had my way he could come coach my Bears TOMORROW over John Fox. TOMORROW.

But he is definitely fortunate to still be working in Cincinnati. He did a lot for them but 13 years is 13 years.

Funny how no one caped this hard for Lovie, at all. And Lovie>Marv

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 12:40 PM

31. "History has seen teams on the verge change coaches and win"
In response to Reply # 29

The Bucs and Colts both come to mind.

History has also seen teams make a change and backtrack a ton. It's the risk you run, but like you said 13 years is a long time - especially in today's NFL- and we've all see what Marv can do which is good but not enough to take the final step.

The defending of him basically is just boiling down to the Bengals should be happy enough to be in the upper mid level of teams and not ask for more.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 12:44 PM

32. "RE: History has seen teams on the verge change coaches and win"
In response to Reply # 31

>The Bucs and Colts both come to mind.

Uhhh, John Fox? Went to SB and got fired, they win the next year.

Of course, it's a risk, and Marv might get over the hump. But he certainly has gotten a fair shot, and and then some more to boot.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 12:50 PM

34. "The Colts and Bucks actually help Marvin Lewis. "
In response to Reply # 31

>The Bucs and Colts both come to mind.

Gruden won with Dungy's team, lead by a defense that
Dungy built, and then proceeded to run the Bucs into the
ground because he's actually not a very good coach. He
essentially Barry Switzer'd that Bucs team, was lucky
enough to get that defense in their prime.

Dungy went on to win a SB with a team that HE BUILT FROM
SCRATCH (5-11). And then handed Jim Caldwell the team,
and Caldwell was a Peyton Manning stupidest throw ever
away from ANOTHER Super Bowl win. Caldwell was fired because
"the team had reached it's max," even though he was ASKED
TO TANK for Andrew Luck.

>History has also seen teams make a change and backtrack a ton.
>It's the risk you run, but like you said 13 years is a long
>time - especially in today's NFL- and we've all see what Marv
>can do which is good but not enough to take the final step.
>
>The defending of him basically is just boiling down to the
>Bengals should be happy enough to be in the upper mid level of
>teams and not ask for more.

Like I said, fire him, and become mediocre.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Y2Flound
9819 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 12:58 PM

35. "Someone to win with his team is EXACTLY what they need"
In response to Reply # 34

He's not winning with a team that won't have a window forever.

Come in and Gruden that team, who cares if they fall apart after? Every Bengals fan would take a superbowl and falling off over staying consistently pretty good.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 03:05 PM

36. "Except this Bengals defense is nowhere near as talented as Tampa's..."
In response to Reply # 35

was when Gruden took over, and outside of AJ Green they mostly have mediocre talent on the offensive side.

There's no coach that's going to come in a magically transform them into a super bowl team.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 04:13 PM

37. "RE: Except this Bengals defense is nowhere near as talented as Tampa's....."
In response to Reply # 36

>was when Gruden took over, and outside of AJ Green they
>mostly have mediocre talent on the offensive side.
>

To be fair to Gruden, a guy who i think is vastly overrated, he himself left a SB contender to come coach the Bucs. And the team HE built (with Al Davis) then went on the it's own SB appearance.

So he has an argument that he was Dungy'd himself.

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 12:44 PM

33. "dawg, I was a one-man street team for Lovie...."
In response to Reply # 29

been riding hard for dude since he was DC with the Greatest Show Rams' teams.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35257 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 09:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Can Matt Stafford count on this kind of support from you in QB Warz?"
In response to Reply # 16

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

cgonz00cc
35257 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 09:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "Id trade Jim Caldwell for him without even a thought"
In response to Reply # 0

They could also have any of our players that arent Staff, Slay, or Ansah

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 12:25 PM

30. "Lulz. Caldwell was on the HOT SEAT a few months ago. "
In response to Reply # 25

For the same reasons that Marvin is:

Black coaches get in bad situations, and are
expected to work miracles.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

cgonz00cc
35257 posts
Thu Dec-22-16 05:36 PM

38. "Uh no. And his seat is hot as hell right today."
In response to Reply # 30

And ita because he has no idea how to manage the clock, timeouts, challenges, end of game scenarios ("we were in lateral defense" smh), and all other executive functions of a head coach

If we didnt have Jim Bob and Teryl Austin hed have been fired already.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2583643 Previous topic | Next topic