Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2566380

Subject: "John Rocker 2.0 (Swipe) aka Adam Jones was right" Previous topic | Next topic
The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 03:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"John Rocker 2.0 (Swipe) aka Adam Jones was right"

Mariners suspend Steve Clevenger without pay for remainder of the season

The Seattle Mariners suspended Steve Clevenger without pay for the remainder of the season, moving swiftly Friday to discipline their backup catcher after his set of tweets imploring that protestors in Charlotte should be “locked behind bars like animals.”

Clevenger, 30, who has played in just 22 games this season, issued an apology Thursday night for his tweets referring to protests in North Carolina following the fatal police shooting of an African American. He will not appeal his suspension, according to a person with direct knowledge of the issue. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the matter is ongoing.

Clevenger’s tweets read:

“Black people beating whites when a thug got shot holding a gun by a black officer haha (expletive) cracks me up! Keep kneeling for the anthem!

“BLM (Black Lives Matter) is pathetic again! Obama you are pathetic once again! Everyone should be locked behind bars like animals!”

The Mariners issued a statement Thursday condemning the tweets, with general manager Jerry Dipoto noting the club is “examining all internal options available to us.”

Clevenger was making a non-guaranteed $517,000 this season; his suspension will cost him around $32,000.

A lifetime .227 hitter in 170 games over six seasons, Clevenger batted .221 with one home run this season. He's best known for being included in trades that sent eventual ace Jake Arrieta from the Baltimore Orioles to the Chicago Cubs, and slugger Mark Trumbo from the Mariners the Orioles this past off-season.

Demonstrators in Charlotte have been protesting the death of Keith Lamont Scott, a black man who was shot and killed by police. Two officers and nine civilians were injured and 44 people arrested on Wednesday in several hours of violence that broke out following peaceful protests, prompting Gov. Pat McCrory to declare a state of emergency.

Clevenger's apology Thursday focused on the "distraction" he caused teammates and was "sickened by the idea that anyone would think of me in racist terms."

"I grew up on the streets of Baltimore, a city I love to this very day," Clevenger said in a statement first released to Fox Sports. "I grew up in a very culturally diverse area of America and I am very proud to come from there. I am also proud that my inner circle of friends has never been defined by race but by the content of their character. Any former teammate or anyone who has met me can attest to this and I pride myself on not being a judgemental person. I just ask that the public not judge me because of an ill worded tweet.

"I do believe that supporting our First Amendment rights and supporting local law enforcement are not mutually exclusive. With everything going on in the world I really just want what is best for everyone regardless of who they are. I like many Americans are frustrated by a lot of things in the world and I would like to be a part of the dialogue moving forward to make this a better world for everyone. I once again apologize to anyone who was offended today and I just ask you not judge me off of a social media posting. Thank you and God bless everyone."

Clevenger attended Mt. St. Joseph's High School, a Catholic college preparatory school in Baltimore that also produced All-Star first baseman Mark Teixeira.

Contributing: Bob Nightengale

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lol...right on, breh...I couldn't decide between posting this...
Sep 23rd 2016
if you a scrub and posting dumb stuff? smh..what a doofus.
Sep 23rd 2016
he needs to know what city/club he's with too
Sep 23rd 2016
bigotry and logic aren't usually held by the same person
Sep 24th 2016
these foxbots literally blame everything on obama.
Sep 23rd 2016
I don't know what was worse about his apology
Sep 24th 2016
It was dropping the 'content of their character' in the apology
Sep 25th 2016
Yeah he was better off just keeping quiet that was a horrible apology
Sep 25th 2016
What does this racist fuck have to do with Adam Jones?
Sep 25th 2016
Here you go
Sep 25th 2016

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 03:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lol...right on, breh...I couldn't decide between posting this..."
In response to Reply # 0

or Ditka's racist ass.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 03:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "if you a scrub and posting dumb stuff? smh..what a doofus."
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 05:56 PM

3. "he needs to know what city/club he's with too"
In response to Reply # 2

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Sat Sep-24-16 12:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "bigotry and logic aren't usually held by the same person"
In response to Reply # 2

--------

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Fri Sep-23-16 07:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "these foxbots literally blame everything on obama."
In response to Reply # 0

the fuck he gotta do with charlotte?

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sat Sep-24-16 07:27 PM

6. "I don't know what was worse about his apology"
In response to Reply # 0

That he only apologized for the 'distraction', or that he pulled out the 'I have black friends defense,' or that he can't understand that someone would view him as a racist.

If he has black friends, then I don't know why they didn't check him at some point. It's not like this is the instant that he formed his opinions about Obama or black people.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 06:41 AM

7. "It was dropping the 'content of their character' in the apology "
In response to Reply # 6

he tried to $hit on BLM

and then plagiarized the most celebrated protestor in our country's history

SMH

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 01:01 PM

8. "Yeah he was better off just keeping quiet that was a horrible apology "
In response to Reply # 6

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 01:02 PM

9. "What does this racist fuck have to do with Adam Jones?"
In response to Reply # 0

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 06:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Here you go"
In response to Reply # 9

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/09/12/adam-jones-no-anthem-protests-in-baseball-because-its-a-white-mans-sport/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2566380 Previous topic | Next topic